November 28, 2014 | 1426 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Boots - Mattifying Make-up Base

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2009 7:43:00 PM More reviews by LL100

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

PROS:
Matte finish. It really WORKS.
Absorbs oil.
Lasts 8 hours or around there.

CONS:
Pasty texture; sort of chalky finish
Difficult to put makeup over the primer (can ball up and rub off).
Some flaking, especially if it gets in your eyebrows.

Since I have fair skin, sometimes I'll put this primer OVER my makeup on my nose and forehead to maximum shine control. 4 stars because of its great shine control; putting on makeup around it is the problem. I've had success mixing it with Smashbox primer for a smoother application, but still excellent all day shine control.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2009 3:33:00 PM More reviews by PopStar48

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the best primer for super oily skin. I have tried Dr Brandt, Clinique, and Murad primers as well as lots of other powders to control oil, but this does the best job. It can be difficult to work with, but to get the best result you need to pat the primer onto your skin - DO NOT RUB it in because it will just ball up if you do. I only use this on the oiliest areas mainly my nose, chin, and the area between my nose and mouth. Occasionally I use this on my eyelids. It keeps the oil away for quite a long time compared to other silicone based primers. It can also make foundation a tad difficult to blend, but still I'm willing to work with it.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/14/2009 3:50:00 PM More reviews by nephine

The performance of mattifying primers seems to work best on my skin when I rotate my use of different brands throughout the week, I currently have three on the go, and I have wasted quite a bit of money finding these top performers!

This Boots version ended up in my bin pretty soon after purchase because it didn't do anything to curb the shine throughout the day. It had an old-fashioned, thick, chalky white appearance and texture to it, smelt funny and caused my skin to break out wherever I used it.

If you're after a good shine-stopper, try my main-stay top 3 instead, and I hope you find one that suits you -

1. Clinique Pore Minimiser Instant Perfector in Light £12.50 - my ultimate favourite and secret 'skin-like-a-models' weapon! This completely melts overlarged pores, blurs blackheads on the nose and keeps my skin remarkably fresh and shine free for hours. Plus, no breakouts.

2. Dermalogica MediBac Clearing Mattifier, around £30
- don't be put of by the price. This multitasks to reduce shine, clear congestion and calms red areas. With this my skin texture improved drastically within two weeks ie. I was less spotty and had fewer blackheads! Sometimes I use this as a night treatment around my T-Zone as a 'pore-cleanser'.

3. Cosmetics a la carte Matte Miracle in Light £30 from their website
- again, slightly tinted, and great on the T-Zone. Contains Tea-Tree & Lavender. Best feature is the cooling gel texture. When I use this, I don't even bother with powder.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/10/2009 12:40:00 PM More reviews by AngelikLoztSoul

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

NOTE: i have never used a primer prior to this....
but this to me was very drying and thick and made me look cakey and flakey. (not cute) good thing i only paid like $5.00 because it was on clearance (and now i see why)....i saw that someone mentioned to not rub it in but rather spot treat areas, it sounds like a better method, but im not willing to give this another try.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/10/2009 12:32:00 PM More reviews by April316

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I think that this is probably one of those products that either works wonders for you or is completely horrible. Unfortunately, for me, this product was horrible. The product is very pasty and not easy to apply to my skin. It made me skin flake and after I applied my foundation it started to flake off as well. I really wanted this product to work for because of the good price, but for me it's worth it to spend a little extra money for a better product. I bought the product at Target - they often have samples out, so I suggest trying it a little on your skin before you buy it. The texture alone might turn you off - but it works for some people/skin types - just not mine.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2009 10:53:00 PM More reviews by Shannonjc1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this primer!! For me..does a very comparable job to the Smashbox primer. It's a little thick so def. putting on moiturizer before will help. I have super oily skin, and usually have to touch up my makeup several times throughout the day..with this, I did not :) PLUS it was on sale for only $5.99 :) Regularly $10.99

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2009 10:59:00 PM More reviews by RazorBladeKiss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this primer a lot. It really controls oil well. Using this I do not have to touch up my makeup as often as I normally would when using other primers. It does have a very thick texture and can be hard to work with on your face. Using moisturizer helps it smooth on better. Best of all its only $10.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2009 11:20:00 AM More reviews by apieceofpeace

I really wanted to love this one... especially for the price. I have fairly oily skin and wanted something to just make it all last a little longer. The consistency of the product is awful... as I'm sure you've already read by now. It did work fine for me to just dot it on vs. rub, but it dries crazy fast and doesn't blend well. All of this could have been acceptable but this product gave me the absolute worst breakout my skin has ever seen. Seriously, my boyfriend thought I should go to the doctor. It was mostly around my hairline for some reason... but everywhere else too. I've never had a zit on my cheeks.. they're usually concentrated in my T-zone. Well, this product even put them on my cheeks! It has been two weeks now and I'm just now recovering from one single application of this product. I know my skin is really sensitive, so I think I must have been allergic to something in it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2009 4:06:00 PM More reviews by tsd715

Love love love - that's all I have for this product! But before I go on, a little disclaimer: It takes a little working with, a little getting used to to get it just right. It isn't an all-over primer, really, just for the oiliest places... and a TINY amount, quickly blended, does the trick for the whole of those.

That being said, I have sort of combination skin, with T-Zone shininess being a constant battle. I love mineral makeup, but hate battling the eventual shine. This product is a dream for that! The smallest dab cuts shine all day for me. Other primers have been just so-so, or screamingly expensive. With this, I use the others on my cheek areas for those days I want super long wear everywhere, but most days I use this alone.

I reccommend everyone who battles shine give it a shot!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2009 1:37:00 AM More reviews by royaljosieness

So i got this after trying a few high-end primers (MAC, sephora, Laura Mercier) and I also used a cheaper one by 24.7 minerals. I have to say that this Boots one was the best out of all of them! And I'm happy to say it was the cheapest one! $10 at Target. It's a bit rough to put on. It dries way too fast to blend into my skin and leaves a white residue but I wear foundation and powder so you can't really see the white. Other than that, it does a great job at keeping my foundation on longer and keeping my t-zone matte. Of course it doesn't keep my face matte all day (nothing does!) but I'll only blot once or twice throughout the day...which is awesome! I definitely recommend this for oily skin!