July 25, 2014 | 1001 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2011 1:50:00 AM More reviews by lawschoolnerd1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used Clinique Superdefense Oily/Combination religiously for over three years, but I started Retin-A Micro in November and my skin began to get very irritated by chemical sunscreens. I looked on Beautypedia and saw that this is a 'Paula's Pick' and contained no chemical suncreens, so I went to Clinique to buy a tube to try it out. The price is decent - I can get 2 tubes of this for less than the price of a single jar of Superdefense. The only thing I don't like about it is that I thought the formula was a bit finnicky at first. It seemed to bunch up over my moisturizer, but this can be eliminated if I just wait about five minutes after putting on my moisturizer (Clinique Dramatically Different Gel). I also use Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair under my moisturizer, and this helps to bind my moistuirizer to my skin so it won't interfere with the application of City Block. I can't use ANR at night anymore because it interferes with the absorption of RAM, so using this trick lets me still use ANR and also help City Block apply more smoothly. If anyone on here is in the same or a similar situation, I would definitely recommend these products together, and I would also recommend City Block overall as a good physical sunscreen at a reasonable price. Works great under makeup, too.
NOTE: Application is everything with this product. The most important thing is to NOT go over places again where you have already applied the product. This is when it bunches up. This stuff isn't meant to be "blended" into the face. It is a physical sunscreen that sits on top of the skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/27/2011 7:51:00 PM More reviews by sophiedee

This product should have been great; I loved it when I originally purchased, but it turns out I wasn't using enough to really protect my face from the sun. When I started using a bit more, it started to ball up and come off once the product started drying. Given that it's important to use enough product to actually give you effective sun protection (and I wasn't actually using all that much anyway), this product makes it impossible to use enough to protect your skin. The first time it happened, I thought that maybe it was just the tube. So I bought another one, but same problem. I also got another one free with store points, and same issue, so it's obviously not some anomaly. I have been able to use up most of the product by mixing it 1:1 with a thicker foundation, but it's a hassle and super messy. I won't be buying this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2011 12:58:00 AM More reviews by Amruta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great sunscreen. SPF 25 works well for my Indian skin.

Doesn't feel greasy or sticky.

It acts as a moisture wicking primer for make-up on the face, which I love. I was searching for a good primer and found this for day-to-day wear.

The best part? It can be used under the eyes too - a fantastic base for even application of under eye concealer. Very smooth. And this also means there's more protection from discolouration of the under eye area due to sun exposure.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2011 5:54:00 PM More reviews by kimk89

Ugh im starting think spf is just not meant for me....their either too sticky or too drying for me regardless of the spf factor. I had high hopes for this product though since it is just a light physical sunblock to be applied over my moisturizer. This stuff just left my face feeling super sticky no matter how little i put on :S....like it absorbed well and i loved how light it is. The tint evened out my skin well too... but for some reason it left my face feeling super sticky all day. It absorbed the oil like it claims but i just couldnt get over the sticky feel and i couldnt wait to go home to wash my face. I really wanted to like it but i will not repurchase :(

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2011 11:35:00 AM More reviews by marmaladecat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'd tried lots of chemical SPF face-creams and got breakouts each time, so I got this on my friend's recommendation.

City Block is a fragrance-free, all-physical SPF which is tinted beige, but when applied blends in brilliantly with my skin tone and really does even it out. It makes my skin look and feel smoother. I don't use primer, but it has the same effect. It stays on really well; when I remove it at night I can see how much has remained on my face. I've had no issues with clogged pores or breakouts from this product.

I haven't had any trouble with pilling like some; I've found that if I pat it into my skin rather than massage it in, it applies evenly and easily.

I use moisturiser under this as I find it is not moisturising enough on its own, but if you have oily skin perhaps this would suffice.

I'm on my third tube now and loving it. I've finally found sun protection which my skin likes-please don't discontinue this, Clinique!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2011 12:35:00 PM More reviews by SuzanneDee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Pros:
Doesn't make me break out, not even on my forehead, where I'm prone. Not even after long-term use (over 2 months)
Lighter texture than most sunscreens
Non-sticky/shiny/oily/gummy
Doesn't sting my eyes, irritate contact lenses
No fragrance
Concealer goes on smoothy under the eyes, powder sets without splotches
The tube is small enough to carry around and reapply
Lasts about three months of once-a-day use

Cons:
The tint is pretty light - imperfection coverage is zero
Leaves a metallic tin-man cast which completely disappears about two minutes after application
Is only SPF 25
Tube needs a good bit of shaking before use
Not the best face primer, but not bad
Is meant to come off only with make-up remover

Verdict:
The cons don't bother me too much - I don't need coverage, the SPF is fine and I'm pretty thorough about taking off my makeup with remover every evening. As an everyday sun protection, it's more than adequate. It's really for protecting yourself on the way to work and rushing to a restaurant at lunch, or spending the afternoon in the shade. No fuss, no oil, no mess.
I will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2011 4:57:00 PM More reviews by zoemiller

A really super product. I find this works perfectly well as a light tinted moisturiser/primer for me. Its just the right colour for that. Definitely does the job its intended for. Sometimes settles into pores though and it feels a bit thick on my face too. I don't wear it every day

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2011 9:34:00 PM More reviews by jcq

I am not hoping this product to be tinted.. it is more like tinted moisturizer with spf. the product's totally okay, it helps reducing my redness, easy to blend, and unscented. makes my oily skin a bit greasy sometimes, but in overall, like this!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2011 8:21:00 AM More reviews by bella1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I received a small sample tube of Clinique City Block Sheer SPF25, and I used it a couple times with great disappointment. I really needed for this one to work, as I have had severe reactions to chemical sunscreen, and I hoped that Clinique's physical sunscreen would be a decent product. I liked the light tint, it was perfect for my light skin tone, I liked applying the product, I didn't have any issues. However, I was supershiny right away. I thought it would get better once the product got absorbed.... well, it doesn't get absorbed. It SITS on your skin like a sticky mask. As the day went on, my own skin oil and the product mixed together to create this goopy, almost like liquid play-dough compound on my face. While it did not cause me any allergic reactions, this product is unusable. I'm glad I did not purchase the full size.
NOTE: I did not wear anything else on my face while wearing the City Block, no moisturizers or makeup, becasue I wanted to see what the product alone would do.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2011 1:45:00 PM More reviews by avironneur

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

WHAT IS IT? Sunscreen (slightly tinted) with both zinc and titanium oxide - fragrance-free, oil-free, and somewhat moisturizing.

INGREDIENTS; Active: Titanium Dioxide 7.30% Zinc Oxide 6.90% Ingredients: Water/Aqua, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, steareth-2, stearyl heptanoate, aluminum stearate, silica, lecithin, gentiana lutea (Gentian) root extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, betula laba (birth) bark extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, laminaria saccharina extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, helianthus annus (sunflower) seedcake, sodium hyaluronate, sorbitan tristearate, linoleic acid, polyquarternium 51, caprylyl methicone, sorbitol, sodium RNA, phospholipids, PEG-40 stearate, magnesium aluminum silicate, caprylyl glycol, tocopheryl acetate, phytantriol, stearic acid, hydrogenated lecithin, cellulose, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, stearyl dimethicone, ascorbyl tocopheryl maleate, nordihydroguaiaretic acid, linolenic acid, pentethine, bisabolol, hydroxyethyl urea, ceteth-2, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, steareth-20, isopropyl titanium trisostearate, propylene glycol dicaprate, sodium stearate, nylon-12, citric acid, nylon-6, hexylene glycol, xanthan gum, disodium EDTA, BHT, phenoxyethanol, titanium, iron oxides.

HOW DOES IT PERFORM? - The tint might make this too dark for some but I find this is moisturizing enough to wear alone in summer weather and despite not being waterproof, this holds up well to light sweating and humid weather (would not work at the beach or during exercise)

The tint us slight enough to hide minor blemishes and redness and the ingredient profile makes this an appropriate products for those suffering from rosacea.

WOULD YOU BUY AGAIN? Yes although as a male I reserve use of this product for periods when I am especially red or have work presentations requiring me to cover blemishes.

PRICE: 21.50 CAD for 40ml