December 20, 2014 | 847 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Great Lash Mascara

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2014 5:12:00 AM More reviews by kayleerace11

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Although it has cute packaging and has a great price, it goes on beautifully, but then it just... wears off? Definitely not the type of mascara you would put on for a full day out shopping, however you could wear it if you only needed to take a photo or something like that.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2014 11:48:00 PM More reviews by lushlife505

I do not care for this mascara but it is nostalgic. Remembering this in my mothers makeup bag growing up. I wish they would improve the formula. It is very liquid and makes a mess easily. It also does not do much to enhance the lashes. It will darken them a bit and define them but do not expect length or volume. I do not think this is the worst out there but nothing to write home about.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2014 7:13:00 PM More reviews by akPhilly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've never understood why people seem to love this mascara or how it's been the #1 selling mascara of all time, especially with all the options of recent years. First off, the formula seems gloopy & seemed to make my lashes clump. It also didn't do much for them other than darken them, which I guess helps a little, but it didn't make them look thicker or longer. I really dislike the brush too-it's very tiny, & often times I like small, thin brushes, especially for my lower lashes, but the bristles are very widely spaced & are in a sort of strange spiral formation so it doesn't seem to grip all the lashes. I realize they do make a version with a larger brush, but if it's just a larger version of the same brush I don't think that would help, plus either way I don't like the formula

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2014 6:32:00 PM More reviews by msunshine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I'm surprised people don't like this mascara!! I have tried many mascara's but this is my favourite !! It's not clumpy, its easy to apply and it gives me great volume!! I suppose it may work on me because I already have long lashes but who knows!! Love it and I hope it's never discontinued !!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/2/2014 9:36:00 AM More reviews by soella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

This was the first mascara I ever used, when I was around thirteen. I didn't understand makeup, I kind of just assumed all mascaras were kind of some same. After all, how much could a little wand and forumla differ from the rest? Well I used this and wasn't impressed, I almost thought it made them look worse. It made my long lashes look stumpy, clumpy and flat. The fall out of this product was ridiculous. Being a naive 13 year old, I just figured this was how mascara worked. In total I have probably bought this mascara a few times until I just ditched it all together. I looked better without it to be honest.

Fast forward a few years later and I realised it was THIS mascara that prevented me from discovering the other great ones out there. For the value of this mascara, it is an absolute rip off. You could buy any other mascara and it would be significantly better. It's such a shame because I absolutely love other maybelline mascaras, but this one is utter trash. Why do people even buy this stuff?

Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal is 10x better than this garbage.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/2/2014 4:29:00 AM More reviews by Belleanna

This product was awful for me, which was very disappointing. This smudged all over my face within an hour, and it's burned my eyes. It's also broke my lashes, which made me very upset, and it made my lashes stick together horribly. I didn't think it was possible for mascara to make your eyelashes worse! If you are looking for a great masacara for a good price, try cover girls lash last fusion. Hope this helps!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2014 11:20:00 AM More reviews by IrisFvH

this doesnt.....do....anything good

rated 3 of 5 on 7/26/2014 7:30:00 PM More reviews by deathsponge

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Grey

So... Maybelline Great Lash. I'm quite new to serious makeup, and even I had heard of this one. This mascara always seemed to receive rave reviews amongst my circle of acquaintances, and now that I've bought and tried it myself... I don't understand the hype!

In terms of pluses, I would say that the packaging is quite nice. It's not one of those bulky Rimmel cylinders that barely allow your makeup bag to close; it's sleek, the design follows a nice modern aesthetic, and the colours are nice and bright.
I also really like the wand - it's soft, for a start; not one of those horrific plastic eye-torturers. For my eye shape and size, it's the perfect applicator.

Unfortunately, that's where my positive experience of the product ends. Personally, I just feel that I've owned better mascaras in the past. Great Lash doesn't live up to its name for me at all; I find that it gives me no curl, negligible lengthening and certainly doesn't do much to thicken my lashes. I seem to have to pile it on to get any sort of effect, which is where my real frustration with Great Lash becomes apparent.
As other reviewers have noted, the formula is very wet - with this mascara, I often find that it transfers really easily onto my upper eyelid, which is something that doesn't happen for me with other products. It's relatively cheap, so I don't feel like I wasted money on this product, but given its reputation... meh. Definitely not a stand-out, special mascara as far as I can tell.

I don't think I'll be repurchasing this one. My search for a HG mascara continues!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2014 10:35:00 PM More reviews by piekko

I have been using Great Lash mascara for over 30 years, probably started using it because I saw it was a product my mother used as well, growing up. This product is around yet today because of its unique formula-one that goes on well with just the right applicator, rarely clumps your lashes together, and boy, is it ever waterproof! I like that it comes in different shades now, giving women more choices (which we love), for different looks. I stick with the Very Black color, and even use the applicator to line my lower eyelids as well. Definitely one of the best cosmetic products on the market.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/19/2014 10:20:00 PM More reviews by icestars

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great Lash - it seems like it was so popular and amazing, especially how it was advertised. It definitely isn't! If you read any other review on MakeupAlley about it, you'll see how many people it didn't work wonders on.

Supposedly, according to Maybelline, "Great Lash mascaras make full, glamorous and clump-free lashes that are effortless to achieve and impossible to ignore."

Unfortunately, even it wasn't very clumpy, this mascara was incredibly thin. My lashes looked like nothing, other than a few measly clumps. No added length, volume, and most definitely NOT glamorous - especially by the end of the day.

There were flaky bits under my eyes and made my dark circles look zombie-like. Not to mention, I take time to curl my stick straight lashes. They curl, but right when I apply this mascara, they actually DROOP down. That's something.

The clear "Great Lash" isn't much better; in terms of holding curl. But it's hard to expect a clear mascara to add lots of volume and length, so I like using it as a brow gel. It works fine.

Definitely do not recommend Great Lash. Mascaras are a girl's best friend, but this one didn't make it. Even for about $5. I recommend The Rocket Volum' Express, The Colossal, Falsies Flared, Pumped Up... Maybelline has a great array of mascaras, but this one I give 1/5 lippies.