April 21, 2014 | 811 users online

Powder - Make Up For Ever - Duo Mat Powder foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2012 7:26:00 PM More reviews by FlameDancer

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Wow, I'm completely impressed. I just bought the lightest shade, and like other reviewers note, it is a bit yellow, but that balances out my pink and red discoloration. A good trick I like to use is to put a little foundation on your chest and the backs of your hands so that your face doesn't clash with the rest of your skin. I do this with every foundation. Nothing's ever really an exact match, and this makes a big difference.

I have been looking for something to matte down my sunscreen, that looks natural, won't cake up over a zinc heavy formula (I use the Shiseido SPF 60 in the blue bottle), and gives real coverage. This is it. It hits every mark, and gives a flawless, naturally perfect look with an eggshell matte texture. It even covers my dark circles perfectly, without the usual ultra-fake or cakey look over that delicate, textured, under-eye skin. I have a bit of orange-peel skin around my nose where the pores are more pronounced, and this really covers and hides that. All other foundations and powders have made it worse, but not this one.

Yes, my crow's feet show when I smile, but anything matte will do that, and I find that adding a dab of moisturizer on top of those areas helps a lot. When they invent a foundation product that doesn't show fine lines, I'll eat my shoe (okay, I won't really -- I'll just buy that foundation). Even when I was 16, my crow's feet showed when I put foundation or powder on -- this one's one of the less severe products where that's concerned.

With every other foundation or concealer I use, application technique is 80% of the result, and I have to be really careful not to mess it up, but applying Duo Mat with the sponge that comes with it is really foolproof. It's like I'm erasing discoloration and texture problems with a sweep of the sponge. It's Photoshop in-the-flesh.

Not only is this great for everyday use, but I just discovered that I look brand spanking fresh after an hour of heavy dance rehearsal too, so I'm happy to say this will be my new performance makeup. It's especially nice for that purpose, as it comes in such a slim little case with a mirror and sponge, and goes on with no fuss. I can't even go into how awful covering my rosacea for shows has been, with sliding, thick makeup that looks like hell by the time I even get to the stage. For that reason, this is a godsend.

I think my liquid foundation HG will now be relegated to the evening, when I'm not wearing foundation and I want a more glowing, soft look. This slim little disk of magically perfect skin is my new HG. I really wish I'd found it sooner.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2012 10:48:00 AM More reviews by jasthill

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

First and foremost, let me start off by saying I have the most oily skin on the planet. I am talking blotting every hour of the day after I apply makeup and retouching on top of the blotting at least 2 or 3 times in my 9 hour work span just because I am THAT greasy. Oh, and to top it off, my parents blessed me with the genes of acne... sweet.

So, with that being said, I have always used drugstore foundations and powders because I am cheap. After 7 years of no avail, I decided that I needed to go to high-end makeup and see if there really IS a difference; if the "you ge what you pay for" saying is really true. And holy shit, it is.

I bought Make Up For Ever' Mat Velvet Plus liquid foundation (which is my holy grail now, PLEASE go try this foundation if you have insanely oily skin and/or have a lot on your face that you want to cover because that foundation makes my jacked up face look airbrushed). After I put on my MUFE Mat Velvet + liquid foundation, I set it with the Make Up For Ever Duo Mat Powder foundation, and I look great (which I've never been able to say in my life before using these products). The Duo Mat Powder Foundation really does add that extra special touch in addition to the MUFE Mat Velvet + liquid foundation to keep my face oil free for hours.

I normally would have to blot about 4-5 times a day throughout my 9 hour working day, and now I am down to once,maybe twice. <3 It is seriously a miracle.

PROS:
-The packaging is nice and easy to transport (compact with a small mirror inside and a bottom pan for the cosmetic sponge included so it is seperated from the foundation).
-The foundation really covers super well.
-Helps me say mat for at least 4-5 hours without touch-ups (which is AMAZING compared to what it used to be).
-The foundation DOES NOT break apart, causing powder excess to fly everywhere, when using the sponge, or a puff, a brush to extract product from the pan.

CONS:
-The foundation is just a smidgeeee yellow. Whenever I put it on my face, it balances ME out because the Make Up Forever Mat Velvet Plus liquid foundation I am wearing underneath has just the slightest bit of pink undertones (great for me). But If you were to wear this powder with another foundation, or alone, it might be the slightly bit yellow. But again, on me, the yellow undertones in the Duo Mat Powder Foundation are not a real big problem.
-My skin has been getting dry patches lately and this foundation tends to enhance those areas unfortunately. But then again, any "mat" foundation would do that.

xx jas.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2012 9:14:00 PM More reviews by tsh82

i changed to this from mac studio fix foundation since it broke me out unfortunately, got it on light beige.
so, first impression of this after using it once just to try it out: (since this is my 3 foundation powder, i would be sort of comparing this to studio fix, but all comparison is from what i see, other people might say differently)

PROS:
1. good coverage, same as studio fix
2. its mat, not as shiny as studio fix when you take pictures with flash (which is something i like haha)
3. nice and smooth texture
3. it is somewhat loose-er than studio fix, so it MAY not stay as long as studio fix

CONS:
1. because of its mat properties, kinda shows more of my usually-invisible fine lines when i smile, but again thats only noticeable if you face the person 5cm away from them. basically use something that will moisten your face if you are a normal skin like me
2. studio fix is 15g for $20 and duo mat is 10g for $41 :S 'nuff said

now, since i CANNOT find any other foundation powder that is below $41 and that is actually mat and NOT going to break me out*, im going to stay with this

* im expecting that this powder wont break me out because ive got hd cream blush and sculpting blush from mufe and it has NOT break me out at all. whereas mac powder blush, mineralize loose powder(the old one with buff) and studio fix has unfortunately gave me little and tiny break outs :(

shall update more if anything happens :)

UPDATE 7th aug 2012
i LOVE it! my friends and mymum said i look natural yet beautiful skin!
does NOT make me break out! :D YAYYY
it actually does stay long :D
till i find something cheaper and more quantity, ill stick with this :D

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2012 9:29:00 PM More reviews by dianakhuong

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is probably one of the best compact foundations I've tried so far. It leaves a smooth application and gives off a matte finish. However it doesn't help control of shine around my T zone since I get very oily around that area. So I usually apply some sort of blotting powder on top and I'm set. Also you can build up the foundation for a medium- full coverage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2012 8:30:00 PM More reviews by jtbeautyx3

Obsessed with this! It never cakes up my face and all I do is wear it over my MAC concealer to get excellent coverage. I would buy this product again. It has lasted me all through winter and into summer. Love!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by Sarah613

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I would give this a 4.5. It is a great powder foundation, probably the best I have ever tried (I have tried everything from revoln to Cle de peau ). Only reason I wouldn't give it 5 stars is because I have to reapply probably 2X a day, but I am very oily. I have been using this for 4-5 years on and off and always come back to it. I love that it can give light smooth coverage with a brush or concealer like coverage with the sponge. I also can set my under eye concealer with this and it doesn't irritate my eyes.
When I wear this powder people comment on how I have wonderful skin, and really it is blotchy with old acne marks...
I can't understand the bad reviews about breaking out though. I have really bad acne prone skin and this stuff has never bothered me, in fact I cleared up a bout of studiofix acne by using this again. I hope they didn't change the formula bc I am almost out and need to pick up a new compact.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/16/2012 4:06:00 PM More reviews by ItsStillAWrap

This is so frustrating! I love the coverage of this product. I really do. And I love powedr foundations. I want to like this one. But even the lightest shade turns orange on me after a few hours. Very frustrating and disappointing :(

rated 1 of 5 on 5/26/2012 4:41:00 PM More reviews by sdaw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This broke me out. But I wasn't too bummed because I felt it just sat there on top of my skin and did nothing anyway. I don't miss it.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2012 12:09:00 PM More reviews by Smurfette123

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have shine to my skin but my idea of foundation is this with a big powder brush. It doesn't make me break out. My only gripe is that all the shades seem to have a yellow tint to them. I wish they had a more neutral undertone.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2012 8:18:00 PM More reviews by TiffD

I love the finish this foundation gives me. I originally purchased it because I had broken out pretty badly a couple of months ago and it did a great job in covering my blemishes when I applied it over my Lancolm Teint Miracle liquid foundation. Now I am on isotretinoin (accutane) and my skin is completely blemish-free (thank goodness!) and I still use and love this. Now I can just brush on a bit of this MUFE powder without any liquid foundation and my skin looks evened out (I have some small pigmentation from acne scars) and relatively flawless.

I think I will repurchase this product again...unless I can find a similar one without some of the harsh ingredients such as talc and fragrance because I think they make my face a tiny bit irritated (I don't feel any irritation but my face gets a slightly more red tone compared to my neck) when I use this...which is basically everyday.

Also, before I went on accutane my skin was fairly oily and this foundation did a great job in keeping my skin matte. It would last for about 6 hours before I needed to blot.

Coverage is medium. It does a good job in covering any pigmentation I have in that unless you are looking really close at my skin, you won't notice any unevenness.