Omega 3 supplement

4.1

I started taking this for health, not for beauty (that's what I tell myself anyway.. truthfully I started taking them for both!). Unfortunately I started getting very painful, large acne (unlike I have EVER had). It was so bad I had to stop the pills. And luckily the acne went away. I'm going to research more alternatives though, because I do believe omega 3's are very important for health. Maybe I'll just eat more tuna?? :)

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I am writing this not only to document my own research/experience from taking and eating Omega 3s, but also to put a fair, countered perspective to the reviewer below who believed fish oil has a placebo effect.

Q: Are there any scientific studies that prove fish oil improves skin conditions?

YES!! I recommend “The Clear Skin Diet” by Harvard faculty member - Dr. Alan C. Logan, 242 pages of research and background. After reading the book, I am convinced our diet has a direct correlation to our skin (and health), ESPECIALLY for those who are genetically predisposed to certain conditions. Prior to this, I was a skeptic like many others - reluctant to jump on a fish oil fad without understanding the science behind it. (Read the book, it will feed your logical and investigative side). It transformed my understanding of the Western medical industry.

Personally I begin taking fish oil after going off Spirolactone (the side effects just weren’t agreeing with me). I saw a benefit in my skin within 2 weeks in high dosages (I stress high dosages). Usually at this time of the month I always get cysts as my hormones inevitably fluctuate. This time combined with an understanding of a non-inflammatory diet, I didn’t have any noticeable ones! This was really amazing for me so I continue to take it for 6 month now with great results. I have also found cutting out diary products (milk, ice cream) reduced my outbreaks noticeably.

Unfortunately, I love baked goods, chocolate and eggs, as well as a night owl lifestyle – which I have all experimented to be trigger points in breakouts for me personally. To completely cut those items and lifestyle changes out 100% is unimaginable. I’ve got to live a little sometimes you know! I would say fish oil provides clearance about 80 - 90% of the time, but not 100% as an antidote when I do indulge. So now I am also experimenting with GLA (Gamma-linolenic acid), found in Evening Primrose Oil and Borage Oil, which seems be an equally popular holistic avenue - on par with Omega 3 in the anti-inflammatory department.

Q: How can one product confer so many benefits? Reviewers have documented benefits to heart, vision, skin and hair?

To answer this question, you need an understanding of nutrition and how the Western medical industries currently operate. (A reviewer below’ comment on a placebo effect is unfortunate but understandable given the educational system we are fed today). Essentially, our bodies need a 1:1 ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 to function in the utmost balance. Unfortunately our modern diet and lifestyle has catapulted this ratio to be 20:1, causing an inundation of inflammatory conditions manifested as acne, heart problems, arthritis, just to name a few. Fish oil contains EPA and DHA, omega 3 fatty acids that dampens and counters inflammation from a high intake of omega 6, as well as foods like walnuts and flax seeds. Essentially omega 3 in fish oil DOES NOT CURE those problems in the conventional sense in which the medical industry isolate a compound, patent it, and chemically transform ingredients into pills to be taken and sold. But rather by putting our bodies in balance, perhaps more so with the way nature intended and thereby alleviating many conditions. Again Omega 3 is not the only antidote to inflammation, there are documented other holistic avenues such as GLA from evening primrose oil.

Given that our human body is born to function as one unit…and if you examine closely, the common root of inflammation plays a critical component in acne, arthritis and heart problems….are those many benefits from fish oil really such a wonder? Are they really such a miracle?

Q: I am taking fish oil daily, but I am not seeing any noticeable benefits, why?

There are two reasons for this – quality and quantity. Fish oil tablets are bottled from a variety of fish skin oils – salmon, anchovies, mackerel and from a variety of environmental water conditions, some more pristine than others. Manufacturers are jumping on the fad for obvious revenue reasons, thus it is up to consumers to become educated on what to buy. Omega 3 intakes should be calculated not in the number of pills (this is misleading), but in the mg of EPA and DHA it contains per pill (it is at the back of the bottle). A value size bottle from Wal-Mart versus a quality brand from a nutrition boutique will contain remarkably different levels of EPA and DHA.

From The Clear Skin Diet (pg 72): “The editorial in the Journal of Rheumatology (2000) stated, ‘….Dietary fish oil supplements should now be regarded as part of standard therapy for rheumatoid arthritis.’…guidelines for arthritis suggest at least 2,000 mg (of EPA) daily… Check the labels and make sure your brand has enough EPA.”

So what this means is that for a value sized brand that has about 100 to 150 mg of EPA per pill, 2,000 mg means 13 to 20 pills a day (yes per day!!!) to see much of a difference in a chronic condition. For a quality brand that has 500 mg of EPA each, 2,000 mg would mean only 4 pills a day. For skin problems I would suggest 2,000 mg of EPA to start as treatment, than gradually go down to 1000 to 2000 in maintenance dosages (adjusted per the individual).

I have found both Carlson’s fish oil and Nordic Naturals to be highly reputable brands. I personally take the Carlson’s Very Finest Fish Oil in the 16.9 oz glass bottle. I do buy the pills for travel though. As it is highly concentrated with 800 mg of EPA per teaspoon, I prefer getting 2000 mg of EPA from 2-3 teaspoons daily, rather than having to swallow 8 – 10 huge pills. An added bonus is that the bottled format contains lemon extract, so there is no discernable fishy taste or burps.

I hope this answers many questions about omega 3 and fish oils.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I can't live without these. Before I started taking these, I had the crappiest skin. I was breaking out in cysts everywhere and I was finally fed up. My friend has this amazing, perfect, glowing skin and I had to find out what her secret was. She told me it was these pills. I did a little research and decided to try them. Within the first week of trying them, my skin clearly improved. My family noticed and was like, "Oh! Nice skin! So what are you doing?" I happily told them it was these pills. My friends are starting take them as well. They really work. As an added bonus, they make your hair and nails grow like crazy. I'll probably never stop taking these. Love 'em!

I wanted to love these, as I know they are supposed to be good for skin, heart health, brain health, etc. etc. I thought they were working fine until I noticed increased breakouts along my chin. I even had some cystic acne develop. I never linked these breakouts with the fish oil until reading other reviews. When I stopped the fish oil, things quickly improved. I will not take these again.

I take these religiously, along with CoQ10 and I've noticed an increase in my energy level. Omega 3 have anti-inflammatory properties that are good for the heart. I find that if I take these after a long run, my knees and shins don't get as sore. There are medical studies that prove Omega 3's aren't just a "placebo" effect. In fact a lot of cardiologists recommend CoQ10 and Omega 3's as supplements after open heart surgery. FYI: because Omega 3's are an oil and as such, can go rancid after a time, I keep mine in the fridge to help avoid that.

I take one of these twice a day, and it has really helped keep breakouts down to a minimum and my skin just looks much more glowy and even-toned. I stopped using them for a short time when I ran out and I could tell a major difference in my skin, so I started taking them again. I buy the Nature Made brand, and I have not had any problems with fish burps (as I have had with some other brands). Overall, I'm very pleased and will continue to use daily.

I know that a few of you believe this to have a placebo effect, however, trust me when I say that I can tell a difference in my horribly acne prone skin. I started taking this product one week ago - just one week! - and already have I seen a dramatic difference in my disgusting skin! Acne has been smoothed over and is deflating, redness is blending into a healthy ivory (I am very pale, and my breakouts are even more pronounced due to it) and scars are fading! My skin also has a nice glow about it. I have not noticed a difference in my hair yet, but will update if I do, and incoming nail on my nailbed are much smoother and shinier, due to their young age or these pills has yet to be seen. My acne on my back has also reduced greatly. I have been using Now Super Omega 3-6-9 with Borage, Flax Seed and Fish Oil, that I stole from my brother (I don't know how much they cost, but will buy more when I need to!) I freeze these and this had decreased the fishy burps that I would sometimes experience when taking it with food. These pills, water, benzoyl peroxide, good foods, and sleep, have all been a huge factor in my becomingly beautiful skin.

I love Omega 3 Fish Oil... Although the pills are fairly big, even if it's gel-form, I take it not only for beauty reasons, but health as well. I need to start taking them twice a day since I snagged a bunch on clearance at Target. :)

i take 2 pills of omega 369 every day and they seem to really help improving my skin condition.. i break out waaay less than i used to..

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Fish Oil is bad. It causes pimples on my calves. And makes me burb. Breath stinks too. My cat is always in my face trying to give me kisses but that grosses out my boyfriend so I'm gonna stop taking them.
As far as skin, nails and hair goes I still prefer everything that's fake. Thanks.

Popular Other Products