February 27, 2015 | 2041 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 188 Small Duo Fibre Face brush

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2011 12:21:00 PM More reviews by gleenina

Pros:
soft
Applies blush well
Cons:
none

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2011 10:03:00 AM More reviews by ConfessionsOfAMakeupHolic

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i love this brush! its defenetly my go to brush, coz you can apply and blend everything with this. this is amazing for applying/blending liquid/cream foundation, powder/cream blush, highlighter, concealer and pretty much every single face product. when im in a hurry, i just grab this brush and stipple my foundation on and when im done with that i blend it in with a sircular emotion. i know it is a stippling brush, but this makes the foundation look more blended. then i apply my concealer and agen buff it into my skin and just stipple littlebit blush on my cheeks and im ready to go :) theres also a bigger version of this brush wich is the famous 187. its larger you can apply your foundation faster with this, but 188 is much better when it comes for your undereye area etc. this fits in a small area on your face without messing your hair with foundation or something like that. i got this at christmas and its my second MAC brush. this is a totally must have brush!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2011 2:19:00 PM More reviews by ImYourFavoriteDrug

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

At first, I was doubtful that this brush would deliver because of its tiny size. But trust me, good things come in small packages. I used this with my NARS Deep Throat blush and was surprised at how flawlessly it went on. I buffed it in and my skin just glowed. I'm excited to use it with cream blush and foundation as well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2011 1:12:00 AM More reviews by Eastend_Snob

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This must go down as one of the world's greatest inventions. I've always loved the contouring and highlighting effects blush and bronzer give to a face washed out by foundation. However, I've never been able to achieve the art of application. I always end up with dolly cheeks or dirt on my face. That is until I splurged on the MAC brushes and got my hands on the 188. I swear that this brush is a turning point in my life. I used to believe the BIGGER the brush head, the better the blush application. I've never been more wrong. The 188 brush head is small, but the bristles are amazingly soft! It picks up the tiniest amount of powder, but it's just enough for my needs. It's perfect for stippling on blush in all the right places, and is especially good for really pigmented ones, such as my baby, Beneft Thrrrob. I absolutely love how I can get an ethereal, translucent effect with very little wrist work. The only downside was that the first time I used it, some of the bristles were beginning to shed and that put me off quite a bit given that it was a BRAND NEW brush. However, the shedding has never happened since so I'm really very happy. Now I'm just paranoid about staining the white tips of the bristles. I want them to stay snowy white forever!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2011 8:23:00 PM More reviews by amberterri

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

I really like this brush. i use it to apply concealer, blush and even powder! The brush is super soft so it blends the make up nicely. I marked it down because of the price - 23! I think the price is through the roof seeing as i got the short handle version to fit into my makeup case easier. However i know mac brushes are pricey and hopefully this one will last a good year or two. If you want light/medium coverage then this brush is for you. It isn't dense so it applies less product. Overall a lovely brush i do not regret buying :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2011 12:47:00 PM More reviews by jrm1862

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't like this brush. I really tried to like it and I used it many times before I wrote this review, and yes, I do know how to use it correctly. It's flimsy and the bristles are sparse. I bought it to use my foundation. It streaks and takes forever to put on my foundation. I have the 187 which I love way better than this. I should have gotten the 130 as it's more dense. I also tried it with highlighter and blush, but it is just too light and flimsy and hardly picks up any product. To me this was a waste of money. I don't like to lower the ratings as I love MAC brushes in general, but this one is not a winner.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 10:57:00 PM More reviews by kpborra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My husband got this for me for Christmas. I was using the body shop foundation brush, but i noticed that i was starting to get streaks from the application of foundation, so I had to swirl it to get rid of the streaks, but I was reading that there was a better brush out there and that foundation had to be stippled. I couldn't bring myself to pay that amount for a MAC stippling brush, because with that amount, you can actually already get a full brush set of other brands (of course the quality is not the same, but still). Anyhow, my husband finally said he would just get me this brush for Christmas. I was choosing between the 187 and 188, but after careful consideration and testing on my face, I realized that the 188 gave more control in stippling (even if it was smaller).

I couldn't wait to try it, and when I finally did, I got compliments about my skin. My cousin said my skin looked great, and she didn't notice that I had foundation on. And then when I was in the mall with my husband, he told me my skin really cleared up. I told him it was the brush that he gave me, not really my skin. He said, oh, I guess MAC is the Mercedes Benz of brushes. LOL. Definitely must have for stippling foundation. You will not regret it.

By the way, I only stipple, I don't swirl.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2010 1:07:00 PM More reviews by Phanatical28

Oh, tiny 188 brush, I love thee!

I really like this brush, as it allows for me to do detailed work in certain areas. I also like it for blending blushes, bronzers, and my contour powder, so all look natural. I tried using it for foundation previously, but I think it's rather small for that, at least for me. I also bend my liquid concealers with this sometimes, if I really want to sheer it out.

I wouldn't say this brush is absolutely essential, but it is a very nice brush, and is very versatile. I don't think I would purchase multiples of it, but I am happy with my purchase, and would replace it if ruined/lost.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2010 2:23:00 AM More reviews by sheikmac11

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

People need to know how to use this product before saying its useless!! I recently figured out how to make the most of this product! I no longer wear foundation because I'm a guy, and the moment I heard "your make up looks smooth" in a sarcastic way...I was done! I only wearing face make up (not including blush, bronzer, etc.) I do not wear anything for the eyes because I don't believe guys should be wearing stuff like that, but moving onto my review. I recently bought bare minerals matte foundation and I could not figure out what brush to apply it with!! Yesterday I saw my Mac 188...clean since I hadn't used it in over a week, and I swirled the brush on my powders lid. I began buffing it on in fast little circles, and I was shocked at how well it covered! It gave me an airbrush look and my parents commented on my complexion, and they thought I had stopped wearing make up all together LoL. Its a small brush with soft fibers at the tip, so it picks up heavy products, but makes them light and silky! Anyone out there should try using this brush with bareMinerals! <3

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2010 4:44:00 AM More reviews by amandalsl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've had this over a month and couldn't really find a use for it that makes it indispensable. I used it mostly for my brighter cream blushes because the duo fibres apply the products really softly. Recently, I discovered that its fantastic for contouring my cheekbones and I have been using this daily since! I'm pretty pale (~NC20-25) and the soft bristles apply my bronzers in a way that isn't too much. I have never been able to find a brush that makes bronzers work well for my pale skin. Previously I was using the 109 brush for this purpose, but I very much prefer that for my blushes since its great at blending. This brush is easy to wash, keeps its shape, and doesn't shed. MAC brushes are pricey but I don't mind paying more for brushes as the quality ones last for years. The white bristles will stain gradually, though. Overall a lovely product and it has become one of the staples in my collection.
Edit: I now use this for foundation application and it works extremely well for that. A truly multi-purpose brush!