MAC 188 Small Duo Fibre Face brush

4.3

on 3/18/2011 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I use this as a foundation brush. The black bristles are often left behind in my foundation, even after being washed. I don't like this brush, hardly use it and wouldn't buy it again.

I love this brush. l-o-v-e. It was worth the price. No shedding whatsoever, super soft and sturdy and easy to use. I chose this over the larger one because it is big enough to distribute my foundation quickl and evenly, but small enough to get under my eyes and around my nose, or apply more product to a smaller spot without blanketing the whole area. This is what I was expecting for the price.

on 2/16/2011 12:21:00 PM

Pros:
soft
Applies blush well
Cons:
none

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

i love this brush! its defenetly my go to brush, coz you can apply and blend everything with this. this is amazing for applying/blending liquid/cream foundation, powder/cream blush, highlighter, concealer and pretty much every single face product. when im in a hurry, i just grab this brush and stipple my foundation on and when im done with that i blend it in with a sircular emotion. i know it is a stippling brush, but this makes the foundation look more blended. then i apply my concealer and agen buff it into my skin and just stipple littlebit blush on my cheeks and im ready to go :) theres also a bigger version of this brush wich is the famous 187. its larger you can apply your foundation faster with this, but 188 is much better when it comes for your undereye area etc. this fits in a small area on your face without messing your hair with foundation or something like that. i got this at christmas and its my second MAC brush. this is a totally must have brush!

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

At first, I was doubtful that this brush would deliver because of its tiny size. But trust me, good things come in small packages. I used this with my NARS Deep Throat blush and was surprised at how flawlessly it went on. I buffed it in and my skin just glowed. I'm excited to use it with cream blush and foundation as well.

on 1/19/2011 1:12:00 AM

This must go down as one of the world's greatest inventions. I've always loved the contouring and highlighting effects blush and bronzer give to a face washed out by foundation. However, I've never been able to achieve the art of application. I always end up with dolly cheeks or dirt on my face. That is until I splurged on the MAC brushes and got my hands on the 188. I swear that this brush is a turning point in my life. I used to believe the BIGGER the brush head, the better the blush application. I've never been more wrong. The 188 brush head is small, but the bristles are amazingly soft! It picks up the tiniest amount of powder, but it's just enough for my needs. It's perfect for stippling on blush in all the right places, and is especially good for really pigmented ones, such as my baby, Beneft Thrrrob. I absolutely love how I can get an ethereal, translucent effect with very little wrist work. The only downside was that the first time I used it, some of the bristles were beginning to shed and that put me off quite a bit given that it was a BRAND NEW brush. However, the shedding has never happened since so I'm really very happy. Now I'm just paranoid about staining the white tips of the bristles. I want them to stay snowy white forever!

on 1/8/2011 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I really like this brush. i use it to apply concealer, blush and even powder! The brush is super soft so it blends the make up nicely. I marked it down because of the price - 23! I think the price is through the roof seeing as i got the short handle version to fit into my makeup case easier. However i know mac brushes are pricey and hopefully this one will last a good year or two. If you want light/medium coverage then this brush is for you. It isn't dense so it applies less product. Overall a lovely brush i do not regret buying :)

on 1/5/2011 12:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

I don't like this brush. I really tried to like it and I used it many times before I wrote this review, and yes, I do know how to use it correctly. It's flimsy and the bristles are sparse. I bought it to use my foundation. It streaks and takes forever to put on my foundation. I have the 187 which I love way better than this. I should have gotten the 130 as it's more dense. I also tried it with highlighter and blush, but it is just too light and flimsy and hardly picks up any product. To me this was a waste of money. I don't like to lower the ratings as I love MAC brushes in general, but this one is not a winner.

on 1/1/2011 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

My husband got this for me for Christmas. I was using the body shop foundation brush, but i noticed that i was starting to get streaks from the application of foundation, so I had to swirl it to get rid of the streaks, but I was reading that there was a better brush out there and that foundation had to be stippled. I couldn't bring myself to pay that amount for a MAC stippling brush, because with that amount, you can actually already get a full brush set of other brands (of course the quality is not the same, but still). Anyhow, my husband finally said he would just get me this brush for Christmas. I was choosing between the 187 and 188, but after careful consideration and testing on my face, I realized that the 188 gave more control in stippling (even if it was smaller).

I couldn't wait to try it, and when I finally did, I got compliments about my skin. My cousin said my skin looked great, and she didn't notice that I had foundation on. And then when I was in the mall with my husband, he told me my skin really cleared up. I told him it was the brush that he gave me, not really my skin. He said, oh, I guess MAC is the Mercedes Benz of brushes. LOL. Definitely must have for stippling foundation. You will not regret it.

By the way, I only stipple, I don't swirl.

on 12/21/2010 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Oh, tiny 188 brush, I love thee!

I really like this brush, as it allows for me to do detailed work in certain areas. I also like it for blending blushes, bronzers, and my contour powder, so all look natural. I tried using it for foundation previously, but I think it's rather small for that, at least for me. I also bend my liquid concealers with this sometimes, if I really want to sheer it out.

I wouldn't say this brush is absolutely essential, but it is a very nice brush, and is very versatile. I don't think I would purchase multiples of it, but I am happy with my purchase, and would replace it if ruined/lost.

Video Reviews & Tutorials