November 24, 2014 | 1214 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 188 Small Duo Fibre Face brush

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2011 8:23:00 PM More reviews by amberterri

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

I really like this brush. i use it to apply concealer, blush and even powder! The brush is super soft so it blends the make up nicely. I marked it down because of the price - 23! I think the price is through the roof seeing as i got the short handle version to fit into my makeup case easier. However i know mac brushes are pricey and hopefully this one will last a good year or two. If you want light/medium coverage then this brush is for you. It isn't dense so it applies less product. Overall a lovely brush i do not regret buying :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2011 12:47:00 PM More reviews by jrm1862

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't like this brush. I really tried to like it and I used it many times before I wrote this review, and yes, I do know how to use it correctly. It's flimsy and the bristles are sparse. I bought it to use my foundation. It streaks and takes forever to put on my foundation. I have the 187 which I love way better than this. I should have gotten the 130 as it's more dense. I also tried it with highlighter and blush, but it is just too light and flimsy and hardly picks up any product. To me this was a waste of money. I don't like to lower the ratings as I love MAC brushes in general, but this one is not a winner.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 10:57:00 PM More reviews by kpborra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My husband got this for me for Christmas. I was using the body shop foundation brush, but i noticed that i was starting to get streaks from the application of foundation, so I had to swirl it to get rid of the streaks, but I was reading that there was a better brush out there and that foundation had to be stippled. I couldn't bring myself to pay that amount for a MAC stippling brush, because with that amount, you can actually already get a full brush set of other brands (of course the quality is not the same, but still). Anyhow, my husband finally said he would just get me this brush for Christmas. I was choosing between the 187 and 188, but after careful consideration and testing on my face, I realized that the 188 gave more control in stippling (even if it was smaller).

I couldn't wait to try it, and when I finally did, I got compliments about my skin. My cousin said my skin looked great, and she didn't notice that I had foundation on. And then when I was in the mall with my husband, he told me my skin really cleared up. I told him it was the brush that he gave me, not really my skin. He said, oh, I guess MAC is the Mercedes Benz of brushes. LOL. Definitely must have for stippling foundation. You will not regret it.

By the way, I only stipple, I don't swirl.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2010 1:07:00 PM More reviews by Phanatical28

Oh, tiny 188 brush, I love thee!

I really like this brush, as it allows for me to do detailed work in certain areas. I also like it for blending blushes, bronzers, and my contour powder, so all look natural. I tried using it for foundation previously, but I think it's rather small for that, at least for me. I also bend my liquid concealers with this sometimes, if I really want to sheer it out.

I wouldn't say this brush is absolutely essential, but it is a very nice brush, and is very versatile. I don't think I would purchase multiples of it, but I am happy with my purchase, and would replace it if ruined/lost.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2010 2:23:00 AM More reviews by sheikmac11

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

People need to know how to use this product before saying its useless!! I recently figured out how to make the most of this product! I no longer wear foundation because I'm a guy, and the moment I heard "your make up looks smooth" in a sarcastic way...I was done! I only wearing face make up (not including blush, bronzer, etc.) I do not wear anything for the eyes because I don't believe guys should be wearing stuff like that, but moving onto my review. I recently bought bare minerals matte foundation and I could not figure out what brush to apply it with!! Yesterday I saw my Mac 188...clean since I hadn't used it in over a week, and I swirled the brush on my powders lid. I began buffing it on in fast little circles, and I was shocked at how well it covered! It gave me an airbrush look and my parents commented on my complexion, and they thought I had stopped wearing make up all together LoL. Its a small brush with soft fibers at the tip, so it picks up heavy products, but makes them light and silky! Anyone out there should try using this brush with bareMinerals! <3

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2010 4:44:00 AM More reviews by amandalsl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've had this over a month and couldn't really find a use for it that makes it indispensable. I used it mostly for my brighter cream blushes because the duo fibres apply the products really softly. Recently, I discovered that its fantastic for contouring my cheekbones and I have been using this daily since! I'm pretty pale (~NC20-25) and the soft bristles apply my bronzers in a way that isn't too much. I have never been able to find a brush that makes bronzers work well for my pale skin. Previously I was using the 109 brush for this purpose, but I very much prefer that for my blushes since its great at blending. This brush is easy to wash, keeps its shape, and doesn't shed. MAC brushes are pricey but I don't mind paying more for brushes as the quality ones last for years. The white bristles will stain gradually, though. Overall a lovely product and it has become one of the staples in my collection.
Edit: I now use this for foundation application and it works extremely well for that. A truly multi-purpose brush!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2010 3:14:00 PM More reviews by VOGUEx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've had this brush for over a year..and it still sheds!!! UGH. I thought it would go away, but apparently not. It's expensive..but I like how it puts my foundation on...but i hate the shedding...

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2010 5:04:00 PM More reviews by iacostamed

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Black

i bought this as a blush brush! love it!
ive also used it for concealer! works amazingly well.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2010 11:23:00 AM More reviews by camilla8

I really had high hopes for this brush considering the glowing reviews. I was looking for something to apply my liquid foundation. This works, but it takes FOREVER and you have to be oh so careful while doing it or it will streak. I'm a working mom who gets up at 4:30am to get ready for work, and I don't have that kind of time. It's just too small and I prefer a larger brush for application. That being said, even though it didn't work for foundation, I can't find another use for it either...not blush, highlighter, eyeshadow...so this brush really serves no purpose for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2010 9:55:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My stippling skills suck so I have given up using this for foundation application, but I was able to find a purpose for this brush. It makes the ideal and perfect contouring brush! Easily applies contouring powder (I use MAC's Harmony) and buffs/blends it for a natural and flawless look. This is a well built brush that washes easily and always maintains it shape.