November 27, 2014 | 1398 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2014 8:13:00 PM More reviews by ChloeA

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use on my face and hair with great results but the BEST use I've found is as a body oil before scrubbing. Every week or two I coat my body with the coconut oil (you don't have to melt it in microwave -it melts on contact with your skin) and then lightly scrub my body with a boars hair brush. Then I take a shower. You can use a little soap to remove the oil but, when I have more time, I just rinse under the water, blot skin with a towel, relax and let any excess absorb into my skin. All the dead and dulling skin is gone. I swear it works better than a spa scrub I've experienced. Body lotion seems to absorb better through out the week and the skin on my arms and legs looks 10 years younger. And it feels sooo soft.
By the by, I use on my face at night after my moisturizer has absorbed and, besides waking up with fresh looking skin, the rosacea on my cheeks is calmed and soothed. You can get the virgin oil at Whole Foods for $7-15 dollars a jar.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2014 7:17:00 PM More reviews by Cutie007

Good hair mask but it takes too long to absorb.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2014 5:41:00 PM More reviews by taylor123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

WOW. Why have I not tried this stuff before! So a few months ago I was diagnosed with a thyroid condition. Aside from all the other symptoms I had, my hair was extremely dry and damaged to the point where my hair was falling out in handfuls, my scalp was also very dry and unhealthy.the skin on my face was getting very dry and dehydrated giving me those annoying little bumps. My hair and skin were just a mess. I'm on medication obviously but my doctor told me to try coconut oil as a treatment for my hair and skin. I purchased Natures Way extra virgin organic coconut oil. I had a rough time finding it but the place I found coconut oil in abundance was at my local health food store. whole foods or richards health food store is bound to have it. walmart did not carry it. i paid about 15 dollars for mine and it came in a white plastic jar of 16 oz. After a few weeks of using this stuff my hair literally started to grow back like crazy! I no longer get crazy amounts of hair on my brush when i style my hair, im not shedding all over the place. I am literally amazed. My hair is extremely shiny and soft and it's gotten so long. I also use coconut oil to remove my makeup at the end of the day, it doesnt dry out my face but gets rid of everything! my skin is less dry and irritated and my makeup is going on much smoother and nicer. no more dry patches! i also think it made my eyelashes much nicer, the old makeup wipes i used to use kind of tugged out some of my lashes, the coconut oil made them grow back. this is also great if you overpluck your eyebrows cause it will make them grow back in faster and relieves the red irritation you get in that area. also very nice for razor burn on the legs. i am sooooo thankful for this stuff. its literally changed my hair and skin so much.

HOW I USE IT:

1) i take about 1-2 tbsp of it and put in a small bowl. i have long, thick hair so i use more than some people would probably.
2) microwave it for a few seconds so it turns into an thinner oil, when you first get or if its cold it its a solid form.
3) i section my hair in 2 sections and i use my hands to distribute it all over my head, i do take it all the way to my roots and rub it in my scalp as it helps with dandruff and dryness. i bring it all the way down to the ends of my hair. after its all over my hair i put my hair in a bun with a shower cap over top or i wrap my head in saran wrap. it keeps it from getting on my pillows or clothing.
4) i usually leave it in over night which is about 8 hours, sometimes i will also leave it in while im studying or donig stuff around the house. id say leave it in for atleast an hour or so for a good effect, leaving it in overnight wont hurt you, it makes it work even better
5) when i wake up i take a shower and i shampoo my hair TWICE. this will make sure all the oil is out so your hair wont look greasy, i use the alberto vo5 kiwi lime clarifying shampoo. after ive done that i use a conditioner like always and thats it.

overall this stuff is incredible. its nice to know that i no longer have to spend ridiculous amount of money on hair products and skin treatments, im glad i can find something at a decent price at a health food store and it does multiple things for me! definitely give this stuff a try, you wont regret it!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by mtcowgirly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

MAJOR SUCCESS. I like "nutiva" brand organic extra virgin coconut oil (about $11.00 for 16 oz.) I have used this for a couple different skin issues:

1) After applying diy ACV toner (50% water 50% ACV) with a cotton round, I rub this all over my shoulders, back, and torso every morning after showering and every night before bed. I had pretty bad body acne for years, but after using this everyday for about two weeks MY SHOULDERS AND BACK ARE COMPLETELY CLEAR! (except for all the post-acne red spots). Been doing this for about a month so far. I also exfoliate my body while using a gentle cleanser every two or three days with a body brush you can buy at Wal-Mart or your local dollar store. I have continued to use this on my body with success.

TIP: put hair up when you apply this if you don't want your hair getting greasy. It will soak in pretty quickly, though. It feels almost powdery. I usually wait to take my hair down until after I've dressed.

2) I also suffer from eczema on my face and this is the only thing that takes away the burning and itching. Use a lot if you're using it to soothe eczema. Like a mask. I try not to leave it on for too many hours, though. It can clog pores. Remove with a cloth or cotton round, then follow with a gentle cleanser. Some people tolerate coconut oil just fine and can leave it on as a moisturizer. Just be careful and use discretion if you notice any break-outs.

3) This is my HOLY GRAIL EYE MAKEUP REMOVER AND EYE CREAM. Just a tiny bit takes off everything in seconds. It is thin and doesn't pull at my skin like thick cold cream does. Remove with cotton round. Then re-apply as needed for an eye cream. Soothing and softening. If I wear makeup I just blot most if it off and wait fifteen minutes or so before applying shadow and liner.

Smells great too!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2014 9:39:00 PM More reviews by kontaktperson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love it! Been using it as a facial cleansing balm for the last couple of weeks and it works great. I put a pea size amount of the oil (under 25 degrees Celsius it's actually a hardened constancy) in mu palm and rub them together until it becomes an oil. I massage it into my dry face for a few minutes, carefully cleanse my eyes and go over the eyelashes. Then a use a wash cloth with hot/warm water and just put it over my face for a bit. Feels so nice! And then, i just take the residue off. My skin has been super dry and acne prone for the last four years and this has made a BIG difference. My face used to be itchy, red and stingy after washing, sometimes just from putting water on it. Now i find its plump, moist and not so sensitive. I rarely have to use a moisturizer after cleansing with coconut oil, i just put my serum on and i'm fine to go.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by mcsm

Cocunut oil is the best, by far, product I've ever bought. I use it for several things like cooking and beauty treatments. My newest invention is my makeup remover: mix half coconut oil and half vitamin E ( actually little more oil than vitamin E) and you'll get the best makeup remover, it takes out all makeup including waterproof without much trouble and also heals your skin, especially in the eye area. I've tried incorporating glycerin and collagen to the formula but I prefer just coconut oil and vitamin E. Sooo recommended!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 3:04:00 PM More reviews by Lindsex24

I love this stuff! It's the only thing that has healed my perpetually dry lips. I slather it on at night and then cover with Vaseline. Now my lipstick doesn't dry up all strangely during the day and I never get cracking or painful dryness. I also use this for irritated skin (like when I have a cold and am blowing my nose constantly = dry, peeling redness). Dry elbows and knees are also no match for coconut oil!

For my hair, I put a tiny amount on my ends after blow drying. I let it sink in for a few hours and the crunchy ends are gone. I find it way too heavy for a deep conditioner on the rest of my hair, since I have such fine texture (I use olive oil for that). However, I think it would work great on less fine hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2014 1:35:00 PM More reviews by ebe99059

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a vegan and I use it for everything! Makeup remover (face and eye), vegan butter, tanning oil, acne cream, acne scar reducer, hair repair, etc. Its amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2014 11:06:00 PM More reviews by Bailey4213

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'd just like to start out by saying coconut oil will NOT work for everyone. So if it doesn't don't completely trash it and say it's a terrible product. It's just like face wash or anything else, it works amazing for some and horribly for others.

I decided about a month or two ago to try to switch to all natural products after looking through literally every category of skincare on here and seeing that in the top 5 there was always an all natural product. coconut oil and rosewater were the main things I wanted to try. We went to a local organic store and I finally found it after looking for weeks. I was so excited.

The first day I got it I used as a hair treatment I had had a terrible time with dry scalp & hair and had heard that coconut oil could help. I put it in and left it for 2-3 hours and then took a shower and washed my hair, once. I should have washed it twice like recommended, but ya know love and learn. My hair was greasy and limp but it was soooooooo soft and my scalp was significantly better. If I would've washed it twice my hair would've just been soft and fab. So I definitely recommend it as a hair treatment. Also it nice to use when you're hair is wet as a leave in oil, but USE SPARINGLY & NOT ON YOUR SCALP.

Second I used it as a body lotion which I will admit I'm not a fan of. It takes too long to absorb for me & I cannot stand that greasy feeling. Also I don't find it moisturizing enough, what can I say I like the fake soft lotion feel.

I also used it as a make-up remover. I was very hesitant as I have acne prone skin and had heard mixed reviews on whether it would break me out or not. I dip my fingers into the little bit of liquid at the top & rub it all over my face first avoiding my eyes. I then rub it on my eyes then rinse my face with warm water & towel it off. DO NOT expect it to just come off with water it won't, it will help you towel it off but will not rinse it off. So far it's been about a month and I am more then thrilled with the results. My skin has never looked better, and my acne has actually cleared up. Also my eyelashes seem longer and darker.

More recently I started using it as a facial moisturizer, after testing to make sure it didn't break me out. DO NOT USE IN THE MORNING. It takes foreverrrrrrr to soak in so I use it at night and I'm not sure it makes a huge difference in the softness of my skin, but my skin is currently in the best condition ever and my breakouts are disappearing.

Just a side note this does not smell like fake coconut perfume. Don't expect it to.

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2014 8:34:00 PM More reviews by mali29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS STUFF! It's amazing to remove even the most stubbornest makeup off your, My nightly routine is to apply my coconut oil onto my face and then I wipe everything off with a cotton round and then just wash my face with daily cleanser. Then 2-3 nights a week I use the coconut oil as my nighttime oil. And I wake up with buttery smooth skin.