L'Artisan Fragrances Vanilia [DISCONTINUED]

3.6

OK, let me give you my history with vanilla. In high school, my best friend was a girl who worshipped Jim Morrison and was obsessed with babies (no lie). She practically bathed in The Body Shop's very SWEET Vanilla oil, and reeked so strongly of it that I had to fight nausea whenever I was around her. I would literally be holding back the bile and trying to keep my facial expression even as I tried to withstand her smell. We are no longer friends (not because of the vanilla, but because she aggressively tried to convert me to Islam...long story), but I still shudder when I think about suffering through that vanilla hell. I thus avoided vanilla fragrances for a long time, and had NO tolerance for sickly sweet vanilla scents. Serge Lutens' Un Bois Vanille was overpoweringly sweet, and returned me to nauseating Vanilla Hell. L'Artisan's version (sampled thanks to a generous swapper) has completely turned me around with regards to vanillas. It's slightly smokey, and definitely not so sweet that it provokes nausea. It's very pretty, comforting, warm, and soft. In fact, it's very similar to Monyette Paris (!) on my skin, perhaps because of the smokey quality of the bean, or perhaps incense. The only full L'Artisan bottle I own so far is Mure et Musc (although I have great admiration for many fragrances in the line), but I'd be willing to shell out for this one. It's the Vanilla of my dreams.

on 1/16/2005 7:43:00 PM

Well, I did not get the "smokiness" that many others did, but I didn't get any "vanilla" either! This scent is not bad, it just has no hint of vanilla whatsoever (at least on me). It reminds me of something I wore in the '80s but can't quite place. Glad I sent for a sample instead of taking a chance on it. For my money, I'll stick to L'Aromarine's Vanille. Sweet (but not overly so) and it smells like VANILLA!

on 1/13/2005 2:13:00 AM

Opens with an ashtray note, then morphs into the smell of cheap, artificial-vanilla scented candles, like you might find at the dollar store. Maybe it's a chemistry thing, but I did not find this appealing at all.

Upon initial application it smells like an ashtray, but an hour later it smells like the inexpensive incense that students burn and outgrow by adulthood. I say this without judgement -- it is not a criticism, but a description. This scent is interesting, but it doesn't shout "beautiful." Instead, it reminds me of what I thought adulthood was as I was entering puberty. And I should add that the vanilla is there, too, and it is nice but it is not strong. It does, however, form a pleasant cloud that surrounds the wearer, and it lasts quite a long time. Because of the smokiness, or ashy smell, however, I have a hard time imagining anybody who is not a smoker wearing this scent. Since I have read that Michelle Pfeiffer wears it, I wonder if she smokes cigarettes. If you know the answer, do tell me. And lastly, I have to add that I do not smell the vanilla orchid flower at all, which should not surprise, since I have read that the flower is odorless. I think it would be a lovely scent, the combination of vanilla bean and an orchid flower, but this is not that, at least not the batch I've smelled.

on 12/22/2004 12:45:00 AM

Agree with what has just been said below, no complexity, no smokiness ala Un Bois Vanille.
Not bad but not great either. In the CSP category vanilla scent.

on 11/9/2004 12:33:00 AM

To be completely honest, not a lot of the vanilla or spice that others have mentioned showed up on me. What I do get is a lot of soapiness. I never thought a vanilla could be clean smelling but this one does! I really like this one but it doesn't last very long.

on 9/24/2004 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I was so excited when I ordered this. I love sophisticated vanilla scents, but this just smelled like flea dip to me. Horrible. I walked it around my office to get other opinions and to the very last person, everyone hated it. Someone compared it to mothballs. YICK!

on 9/14/2004 6:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Finally, a vanilla which doesn't smell like Duncan Hines cupcakes or Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts!

A wonderfully layered, smoky, sophisticated vanilla...blissful! This is one of my staples in my perfume arsenal!

on 8/20/2004 2:30:00 AM

Very incense-y! I cannot detect much vanilla in this. It's very smoky and strange - not something I'd wear.

Popular Fragrances