September 22, 2014 | 1220 users online

Cleansers - Clean & Clear - Continuous Control Acne Cleaner

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2012 9:52:00 PM More reviews by PanAm

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I would like to mention that if it was not for this product I would have the worst high school/college years of my life.
Seriously.
I discovered this stuff years ago when I was in elementary school (yes, I have had bad acne my whole life). This stuff clears it right up. I use it daily. I have not been without it in years, but back when I was, my face was FULL of acne, the unpopable kind, white heads, etc. Oily, greasy, you name it. Now, I wouldn't say I still don't get pimples. I do. But they are NOTHING compared to what they used to be. I still get a few here and there, and of course blackheads on my nose and chin (but in reality, who doesn't have that?) My skin and nose is still really oily, but thats something I am just going to have to deal with because my skin is that bad.
If you don't have really intense acne, I would not try this stuff. It is not for the faint of heart or the mild acne user. This is if your full blown, about to go into social isolation acne. I love it more than anything, and continue to use it daily, sometimes twice a day. It has cleared up my acne, but I still have some and a lot of oil as expected. If you have nothing to lose though, try it. The worst that can happen is you end up using dots of it on intense pimples.

The price is kind of on the steep side (at least I think) for $5-$8 a bottle. I watch for sales and stock up because I cannot live without it. It works that well for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by jen1103

Even though I don't use this product anymore because it's too drying for my skin, I feel it has gotten an undeserved bad rap from people who don't realize what this is. To clarify:
1. This has 10 percent benzoyl peroxide - the strongest percentage available.
2. Benzoyl peroxide will dry your skin and make it flake - that's pretty much what it is designed to do (plus kill acne bacteria).
3. This is intended for people who have ACNE and most likely OILY skin.
4. Even some people with oily skin will be sensitive to benzoyl peroxide and shoulnd't use ANY product with this ingredient.
5. Benzoyl peroxide can and will bleach clothing and linens - one of the drawbacks to this ingredient.

So I used this for a while on my back and it cleared it up... but it's just too drying for me. I am now using PanOxyl 4% creamy wash and that's better. My skin just can't tolerate 10%. Everyone is different.

One true negative for this product - it contains menthol, which not only does nothing for your skin, but can be extra irritating as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2012 12:30:00 AM More reviews by twocentsworth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I think that this product is excellent for getting rid of those deep cystic pimples. This is not your average cleanser and you have to use it sensibly to get good results and not hurt the rest of your skin.

I have sensitive skin which tends to be dry and although I don't get acne, I occasionally get cystic pimples that take ages to go away. I use this cleanser as a spot treatment. I put it on the troublesome area, massage it in briefly and let it sit for a minute then I wash it off. I do this once a day until it has gone away. It is definitely drying which is why I don't use it over my whole face or all the time. It usually gets rid of them in 3-4 days when it would otherwise take 2-3 weeks.

I have been buying this for about 8 years now and I will always keep a tube on hand just in case. As a warning though for the newly initiated, it will bleach your towels and clothing if it comes in contact (even when you think you've rinsed it off) so be careful or use white towel ;)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/19/2012 10:45:00 PM More reviews by livinggreality

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I dont know if its just me, but this product broke me out SO badly!
this is my first BP cleanser so maybe it's just the fact that I may be allergic to benzoyl peroxide but my skin is not sensitive at all, and even as I applied this my skin burned and itched like never before.
horribly disappointed. will probably pass this on to one of my girlfriends who love BP cleansers.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2012 2:33:00 PM More reviews by lovetosparkle

I have been using another product that contained salicylic acid to prevent any breakouts, but found that is was not working to my liking. I decided to try a product that contained benzoyl peroxide instead and found the continuous cleanser to be one of the only ones at my drugstore that contained BP. I have normal skin and at first the cleanser made by skin really dry, using it once a day before bed. When I noticed this, I started using a really moisturizing cream with it, and within a week, my dry patches went away. It has really cleared up my skin and I continue to use it once before bed. Don't give up on this product if it dries out your skin because your skin is adjusting to the 5% benzoyl peroxide which is a strong acne medication.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2012 5:40:00 PM More reviews by Fireball

I updated my rating to a 5. I've been using this for a while now, and my skin looks really good. I haven't had any break outs, not even during high stress or TOM. I'm not sure if it's the Persa-Gel or this or both, but I'm not changing unless my skin freaks out.

I'm very happy with this product. I'm using it in combination with Pond's to help prevent break outs and not dry out my skin.

I haven't found this drying, however I avoid my eye area: anything from the top of my eyebrows to the cheek bones. And I use this very sparingly. It says on the package that dryness may occur, and I wanted to err on the side of caution.

I am able to use it twice a day, once before bed and in the morning after my workout. In the morning, washing off my sweaty, grimy face this feels incredible. Tingly and refreshing.

I will most likely repurchase unless I find something even better.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2012 6:21:00 AM More reviews by mandamarie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using this for several years now, after I decided that Proactiv was too expensive and started looking for alternatives (I used Proactiv for probably 10 years). This wash works better on my combination skin than Proactiv. The only downside is that my skin is a bit dry, so I need to use moisturizer every day.
I recently tried to eliminate Benzoyl Peroxide and SLS from my face cleansing routine, hoping that since I'm now 25 I wouldn't need it anymore, and I think the SLS is what makes my face so dry. After about a month of washing my face with Tea Tree face wash from Trader Joe's I started breaking out horribly, mostly concentrated on my forehead and chin. It was even worse than when I was a teenager! It was probably something in the Tea Tree product, (maybe not Tea Tree as pure tea tree oil helped make some of them go away). I tried some Salicylic Acid products but the horrible acne persisted for a couple of weeks.
I finally gave in and resumed using the Continuous Control Acne Cleanser and my skin is quickly returning to normal, which means I usually have a couple small pimples all the time but nothing major. I still give it 4 stars because it uses SLS, which I think it would be much better without, and probably result in less of a drying effect on the skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2012 11:39:00 PM More reviews by italiana800

I don't have acne, but I remember using this for some reason (I think I got it mistaken for something else). About 2 minutes after I washed my face with this, my face was on fire. The skin on my face started turning red, dry, flakey, itchy, & just irritated. I was in shock & I was trying to figure out why this happened. So, I grabbed the bottle of this & started reading it (something I should've done before putting this on my face). I realized for starters it was for acne which I don't have, & it contained a very high amount of benzyol peroxide....which I'm highly allergic to. This allergic reaction lasted for over a week. Throughout my whole vacation. Even if I had acne, I would never use this in a million years. People with sensitive skin....stay away from this.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2012 5:32:00 PM More reviews by sheilaolive29

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sadly, this didn't work for me :/ I didn't find it as overly drying as everyone said; I have oily skin

I don't even know if this classifies as a "breakout", but this product gave me a small whitehead on my cheek and forehead and two small pimples near my chin. It wasn't terrible, and I have them treated, they are gone now, but I wasn't thrilled either.

I'm not sure, but I think this cleanser is mainly for people with moderate to severe acne. I thinkkkk. Since theres 10% benzoyl peroxide and all. I really wanted this to work :/

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2012 2:53:00 AM More reviews by evesinkiewicz

This stuff is really strong and I learned th perils of overwashing the hard way. Even though I only washed my face twice a day, I was using this both morning and night. I couldn't figure out why that would be making my skin worse and then I did a google search. Using something like this too often strips away your skin's protective outer layer and so it's more vulnerable to, well, everything--not to mention this stuff dries your face out something terrible. I have combination (mostly oily skin) and my entire face felt dry. In turn, it forced me to moisturize which my dermatologist told me is bad for oily skin. (Acne is caused by excess oil so why would you want to have to put on a thick moisturizer which will in turn make your face more greasy??). Overwashing and overexfoliating (a whole different issue--stupid olay pro x brush...) and using salicylic acid (which I'm allergic to) has really messed up my skin. Not only have I broken out more, but my skin hurts. A LOT. I can't wear makeup at all and showers are miserable. I've switched to only using cetaphil gentle cleanser. I thought the more products, the faster my acne will clear and that is completely wrong.,, learn from me and use this AT THE MOST once every 2 days.

Anyways, sorry about that but I wish I'd had that advice because I'm now facing at least 2 weeks before I can wear makeup and a month before my face is back to what it should be.

Now, the great thing about this product is that when it's used correctly, it cleans deep and does everything it claims--that's why I'm giving it five stars. I'll continue to use this 2 or 3 times a week after I've let my skin heal. Please don't be scared to use this product just be scared of what can happen if you over do it. Too much of anything is never good and this is no exception.