Clairol Herbal Essences - Color Me Happy

3.5

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Citric Acid, Passiflora Incarnata Flower Extract, Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract, Zea Mays (Corn) Silk Extract, Fragrance, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Red 33, Red 4, Yellow 10. (2011 formulation)

on 6/3/2010 1:08:00 PM

this made my hair feel like straw. My hair wasn't color treated at the time so I can't say how it worked for that. But I would imagine color treated hair requires some moisture not a shampoo that dries your hair out. I had to use way more conditioner and detangler after using this shampoo to make my hair feel normal. It does smell great and my hair was clean

on 5/30/2010 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm not sure how I feel about this product.

The shampoo leaves my hair feeling less weighed down than other brands do, as well as manageable. My color lasted a solid amount of time while using this shampoo, so that's a plus, and it cleans okay.

However, this may have been the cause of some of the scalp issues I was having. My scalp itched like crazy while using this. I already have problems with a sensitive, itchy scalp, but this made it worse. I just recently switched to another shampoo and the itch has subsided some.

So, I will not be repurchasing this product. Two stars only because it kept my hair in good condition for the low price and the color lasted. It may work for those who do not suffer from scalp problems, but for those who do, do NOT buy this product.

P.S. I strongly dislike the smell of this shampoo coming out of the bottle, too, which is weird because I liked the smell of the matching conditioner. Wonder if it's possible I got a bad batch...?

on 2/9/2010 11:18:00 AM

I love this shampoo! It has a heavenly fruit/berry fragrance, it cleanses gently & effectively, it's non-drying plus it's kind to my hair color. I've tried Clairol shampoos that were too drying, or too heavy; this stuff is one (of a few of 'em) that is delightfully balanced to me. I happily have a place for this in my regular rotation!

on 2/1/2010 10:27:00 AM

This is a big pink bottle of FAIL. I did not like this at all. I bought this & the matching conditioner thinking it was the same as the original formula, but it is NOT. It sucks, honestly. It smells the same but it does absolutely NOTHING good for my hair. I only used it for about 10 days but in that short time it left so much buildup that my hair dye wouldn't take properly. It also dried my hair out so bad that I thought I would need another haircut, and made it dull & unmanageable.

I thought maybe my hair was just getting really damaged or something(it's been bleached & dyed a lot), but then I tried washing my hair really good with Prell, and voila- soft, shiny, manageable hair again. I tried dyeing it again after that, and whaddaya know- the color took right away. I use Manic Panic, BTW, which will work on ANY kind of hair no matter how damaged. This should show you how much buildup this junk leaves, if it could stop even Manic Panic from penetrating! This also stripped my color, despite being aimed at colored hair. Common sense would dictate that a shampoo for colored hair would aim to *preserve* the color, not STRIP it, right? FAIL. This gets a 2 for the lovely smell but other than that it's almost Pantene-level bad. Not the WORST I've ever had, but certainly far from the best.

*sigh* another shampoo/conditioner combo that I will use up on my dog. This really sucks! I loved the original HE but I can't find it anymore. It seems to have been replaced with this crap. Pity.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

This product is too drying for me to use regularly, so I started using it once every week or two as a clarifying shampoo. Works great for that, but I wouldn't advise using it if you really want to keep your colored hair from fading - it will strip the color right out. But otherwise it's a pretty good shampoo, especially for oily hair.

on 11/26/2009 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I don't know what it is about Herbal Essences shampoos and conditioners, but my thick, coarse, colour-treated hair responds well to them. Color Me Happy has a fresh scent that does not linger (thankfully), lathers nicely and rinses clean. I like the easy-to-use pop open top. My hair is left shiny, clean and does not feel weighed down. It doesn't feel or look like the mositure has been stripped out of it like it was for some reviewers. I love the price of it and will repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

The old bottles of the rose scented herbal essences for dry/damaged/color-treated hair had a sticker on it that said the Color Me Happy line was the same. Of course, I went out to buy some today just to see if the claims were true. It does work similarly even though oils from the older brand are not present in the newer one.

This didn't dry out my thick, dried-up hair at all (my hair isn't color treated, but stylists advise that those with my hair type should use color protecting products for gentle maintenance). It left it nice and clean, but not stripped of moisture. It smells just like the old herbal essences and it works the same in my opinion so I'm a happy camper! I won't have to hunt for the old one all over town anymore (:

i dont have color treated hair but my mom has some in the shower so i felt like trying it :D. it smells GREAT, like really good. probably my favorite scent HE makes (theyre all great so its hard to pick a favorite i think). it really cleans my hair (which is what i was looking for) but its really drying :(. i used a ton of my moisturizing conditioner after and it didnt help...so im gonna try the matching color me happy conditioner and update when i see if it helps or not. i hope they keep making this. im gonna get a deep conditioning hair treatment thing so i hope that will help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on 7/25/2009 8:57:00 PM

I have fine, bleached, slightly damaged elbow-length hair that needs washing every 1-2 days.

I got originally hooked on Herbal Essences since 4 years ago when my friend came to school with the most lovely smelling hair, and I asked her what shampoo she used. I love H.E and Fructis because of the fresh fruity and floral smells that seem to last relatively well. All the other shampoos I've used (Dove, Pantene, Palmolive, Loreal, Vo5 .. etc) leave my hair with a 'hair' smell which I hate, this doesn't.

However ever since H.E changed their product line to these new, funky, more 'specific' shampoos/conditioners I've found that they are too expensive for their use (they don't sell these in the small bottles, and they rarely go on special to a price I consider cheap). Eager to try out their new products nonetheless, I bought Color Me Happy because of my coloured brown/purple hair.

Compared to the old formula, this did not give a good lather. I had to work a lot of it in just for my hair to feel clean. Also I didn't notice any difference for my hair colour from any other shampoo.

Overall - nice smell, cute bottle and name, but poor lather, and too expensive.

- - -
PRICE [3] $6 AUD | PACKAGING [5] | REPURCHASE [no]

on 7/7/2009 8:38:00 AM

DRYING! not as drying as the cream formulas like the "no more breakage" one, but still a crap for me.
smells like the old one with roses, i think it's the same one.
herbal essences is just not for me, i won't buy any of their products in the future...

Popular Shampoos