September 22, 2014 | 959 users online

Powder - Everyday Minerals - Matte Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2010 1:40:00 AM More reviews by sweetshiningstar

I have been trying the sample foundations for about a week because I can't afford much for a good foundation right now, and drug store foundation powders just don't cut it for me (the colors). I'm Chinese and I use Golden Medium (it's summer); I almost got a lighter shade for winter also, but then the next morning, applying the foundation, I realized it'll probably blend in very well for me for the winter too (looks light in jar, even for winter, tho I might buy a sample of Light Olive). So very versatile, love the color match!

*I do use a 50/50 mixture of intensive (good coverage) and matte (for oil control).* I have combo skin that is more on the oily side, and this mixture still has a glowy look (natural shine, not powdery or oily, no shimmers- just not powdery), and I do have to touch up my t-zone at mid-day, but that's with any foundation that I use.

*Update, I tried the semi-matte as the base, with a light layer of matte over my t-zone, and the semi-might is SO much more BUILDABLE; it ends up covering MORE than my intensive. I'm thinking I'm not going to buy the intensive (not very buildable) and am going to use a mixture of matte and semi-matte. I was scared the semi was going to be too dewy/shiny, but like a YouTuber stated, "it just looks like skin," meaning the matte finish is more natural, having natural reflection instead of a powder matte finish, but still without the kind of shine that oil leaves.

I'm going to be honest- I got the samples wanting to get Bare Escentuals Matte. I used it before and loved the mattifying qualities, and no bismuth oxycloride in that formula (makes your skin itch and/or break out). Also, BE tends to charge more and have less in the (same-sized *deceiving*) containers (read the packaging) every time they make a new formula. The matte formula is more costly and holds less product, so does the Mineral Veil with SPF!! So I could not bear myself to purchase from BE because it felt very deceiving for me to have to pay more for less (and have them not be honest about it-jar are same sizes!).

I ordered Everyday because I couldn't afford BE, and didn't agree with the company on the price issue, and I had seen so many good reviews online of EDM.

Pros:
-Creamier than BE, thus not necessary to use wet for heavier coverage. Actually prefer to use dry (which I never preferred with BE). Applying this wet I thing have it more of a sheer coverage, opposite of what I wanted.

*In case you're wondering about wet application, spray your brush with a water bottle, tap in foundation as usual, spray again- some ppl prefer before or after, I do both).

-Both formulas I've tried lasts for me all day, but I do like the matte mixture in my intensive formula. Makes me feel covered and mattified. (After the update I'll be using Semi-matte and Matte).
-MUCH cheaper than BE (Promo and discount codes are offered on website, look for them! I have SO many products in my cart for under $70).
-For my oily skin, mineral makeup and powder foundations are MUCH better for oil control. So much better!
-Better color match than the Laura Mercier foundation powder I was so in love with before I could no longer afford because it only lasted me 2 months. :( But I did use it every day, for foundation and for as a setting powder for when I tried a Chanel liquid foundation (not good oil control- way too expensive).
-Much better than the color match of my Revlon Color Stay (don't know what to use that for now...).
-*TIP*- Your O-Glo sample can be used as a highlighter on your cheekbones, if you don't like that formula. I would only use this over a matte or intensive formula base (over the O-GLO or Semi-Matte it would probably get too glittery, tho it is still subtle on my face).

*Definitely try all 3 of the formulas mentioned if you have combo skin. You'll never know what works best until you try them! The first ones tend to me more buildable!

CONS
-As with mineral makeup, full coverage is hard to achieve without a VERY good concealer. I have not tried one yet from EDM, but I am ordering mint and intensive medium. I'm hoping this will prime my skin well for a clean canvas. :) I have read very good reviews on both of these. (I'll probably get another liquid foundation for *special* occasions, but I can deal with some acne scarring on a day to day basis.

I can't WAIT for my order! :D Wishes to you all!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2010 4:44:00 PM More reviews by ilovebourjois

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I think this is the best foundation that I have ever used. It looks so natural on my skin that other foundations just dont compare. It has never made my skin look cakey,but if my skin is flaky it shows. It always looks great, its practically foolproof for me. I find the colour Ivory the best match for my lighter than NC 15 skin,linen when i have a slight tan. I was using the semi matte formula which i also love-but i find matte lasts slightly longer on my oily t-zone,which leads me to my favourite part of this foundation. When my very oily nose starts to look shiny,i can touch up my nose without blotting and the oil is gone,my skin is matte and looks flawless. Any other foundation I have ever used looks terrible and patchy when i touched up my nose,but not this one. I apply it with my everyday minerals flat top kabuki brush for the best coverage-i have very rosy cheeks and after applying this foundation they are barely noticable. I think I have finally found my Holy Grail foundation!
Pros:
-Never looks cakey.
-Matches my skin well.
-Controls oil well.
-Great for touchups.
-Contains no chemicals or bismuth oxychloride (bare minerals does)
-Great value(cost me 12 dollars and lasts me over a year-and i use alot)

Cons:
-Packaging-the sifter cover is useless,when the tub is new(and full) the product goes everywhere in the tub when you travel with it)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2010 5:46:00 PM More reviews by auramei

EDIT: Chalky. Winged Butter is so yellow that I look SICK. It will rub/melt off and leave me with "pink" spots on my face.

EDM wasn't the reason I was breaking out. I had switched to another birth control the same month I started using EDM again. Now, the pimple-period has passed and no more breakouts with EDM!

It's been 3 years since I've last used Everyday Minerals and I can't believe I have strayed away from their foundation line this long! I've gone through my usual makeup junkie cycles, having the need to try all the latest and "greatest" foundations that come out, but this EDM matte formula surpasses them all.

As a SE Asian with peachy, pink, AND golden tones complexion for my face with a yellow-golden neck, I have an extremely hard time finding the right foundation shade. From what I remember 4 years ago, MAC matched me to NC25-NC30.

Most drug store lines carry a multitude of pink shades (pink foundation does NOT counteract an already pink face) and very limited in golden tones. Even if the color matches, the next determining factor is how long does it last? I'm a busy girl. I don't have time to blot every 2-3 hours! Over the last 5 years, I came to the conclusion that except for a few drugstore brands, the best liquid foundation lines are found in department or makeup specialty stores. But wearing liquid foundation in 100 degree summer heat is unbearable and makes me very insecure.

Categorizing myself under combination skin, I have tested between Matte & Intensive and came to the conclusion that Matte works best for me in the summer & spring seasons. I will have to give Intensive a second chance during the winter when I am more prone to dryness, but for now, I love everything that the Matte formula offers! On average, I can go 5-6 hours until I need to blot & reapply a layer of loose powder. That is a record for me! The coverage is naturally beautiful! I look radiant and glowy. It doesn't look cakey, like a lot of medium-heavy coverage foundations (I.E. Revlon Colorstay) and the makeup doesn't "melt" by the 4th hour. The best part is my pores can breathe! After the first blot, I don't even realize that I have makeup on.

Yesterday, I had my makeup on from 11AM to 11PM. I blotted and reapplied a layer of loose silica powder by 6PM and by bedtime at 11PM, I had almost forgotten to take it off! Usually once I get home, I can't wait to remove all that gunk off of my face. With EDM Matte, I barely notice that I have anything on my face.

For shade reference, I ordered sample sizes in Winged Butter, Golden Medium, and Buttered Tan (in order of lighter to darker) for my NC25-30 face. Golden Medium matches me very well and Buttered Tan gives me a "faux" (but not artificially fake) glow, perfect for summer. Winged Butter oxidizes and turns me golden orange :(

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2010 9:16:00 AM More reviews by Beaner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had reviews for the semi-matte and matte but I deleted them because the quality has definitely gone down. I've been using EM for 4 years (or more) and this batch is not the same formula as my previous purchases. The formulas used to be silky and smooth. Now I get chalkiness in both the semi-matte and matte formulas. This will give you an idea. I was recently outside in in the morning when it was overly hot and extremely humid. When I got in the car and looked in the mirror, my powder had run and looked cakey. It had never done that with my previous purchases and I've lived in hot and humid summers all my life. I didn't have skin issues or sensitivies with the previous formulas and I still don't with these new ones (rosacea). I've recently tried some samples from Alima which are similar to the old EM. Sorry EM...Hello Alima!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/16/2010 1:16:00 PM More reviews by 88porsh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I tried the sample base kits in olive and tan, and between the two I decided that olive medium mixed with bronzed tan worked best for my skin color. Since they came in the matte formula I'm not really sure what the other formulas would look like on my skin since the colors were all so fair or pink based. Anyway, my overall opinion is that this foundation is better than several I've tried as far as color goes and it feels light, however it does not feel quite as light as bare escentuals and it is not as finely milled so it feels slightly oilier. I did wear primer underneath this and in comparison to bare escentuals, it did not hold up as well. I noticed I was oiler at the end of the day and would require more touchups. Also, it does not blend or conceal nearly as well as BE. I found it to be blotchy in some areas, especially as I got oilier throughout the day. It is much cheaper in comparison and many say it is less irritating to their skin so I really wanted to like this more than what I did, but I still favor BE. It's not bad though, just didn't give me quite the look that I can accomplish with the competitor. Would work much better for someone with dry-to-normal skin with more even tone, perhaps. Their prices and service are great, just not the product for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2010 10:34:00 PM More reviews by MYCATSHADOW

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I FOUND MY NEW HG FOUNDATION TODAY!! I just received my EM package & applied this foundation. All I can say is AMAZING! Natural, natural, natural looking!!! EXCELLENT coverage. A little goes a long way & my make-up application was so much quicker than with my normal M.A.C. Studio Fix powder foundation... YOU'VE GOT TO TRY!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2010 9:27:00 PM More reviews by HildeMV

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was sucked into the mineral vortex back when EDM had plenty of wonderful specials. Foundations, blushes, brushes and eyeshadows.
I have full sizes of all four formulas and matte is the one i use the most, second most is original glow. I apply it with the flat top kabuki which is great by the way.

Product:
So the first mineral makeup i bought was the BE, and I've never had an allergic reaction. I use fair in BE and cool-fair in EDM. In MAC concealer i use NW20. In the summer i use fair-medium semi-matte. First thing I learned when trying for shades is that it was rather silly of me buying all my samples in the semi matte formula which is very forgiving. I could have passed as an olive toned lass. I was so happy finding out about mineral makeup after unsuccessful attempts at making liquid look natural. I was even happier when I found I could get it even cheaper than BE. This does not cake, blends in and looks natural.

semi-matte: sheerest coverage. Great for summer.
matte: "normal" This is the one I use the most.
Original glo: At first I thought by the description that this was the sheerest but it isn't. It just has more of a glow to it than matte.
Intensive: Most opaque coverage, but it's not always comfortable wearing. The skin feels a little "tight". Maybe it would be better for someone with oily skin.

Packaging:
Has gotten better with the addition of the sifter cover, but I still think the packaging needs a little improving. It's very messy. My advice is not to remove the sifter protecting sticker, but rather poke one or two holes in it and put the new cover over when not using it. I learned this the hard way with my first foundations, blushes and eyeshadows.

Price:
Really good compared to the ones you can buy here(Norway) Their specials used to be way better which was more fun. So they've gone a little downhill. But it's still a good price for a good foundation. With the removal of the mini size its harder to get something larger than samples for people with custom limits which makes me feel they've ignored us international buyers. They've made a lot of changes since I started with EDM that I do not like. But this won't make me take a lippie off because it's unfair to the foundation. kinda.

So, yeah I would def recommend it(which I have IRL), and buy again(already done :p)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/29/2010 12:48:00 AM More reviews by SoSleepy

Oh man, did this wreck my skin! I feel awful writing a bad review for it because I really liked the company. Prices weren't bad and customer service was great but I just really didn't like this foundation (or any of the other formulas, for that matter..). It had a tendency to go on kind of blotchy and just make my skin look blah and tired. It didn't give a nice, airbrushed look that I had expected after using Lumiere for years. That really wasn't the part that killed it for me though. It was the HORRIBLE breakouts! My skin erupted with this stuff like it never has before. I actually still have a couple of scars from it. Not happy. The two stars were for price and customer service.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2010 1:18:00 AM More reviews by bebeblondie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been using EDM Matte for the past 2-3ish years. Before EDM, I used Alima MMU which didn't have a shade to match my complexion so I would mix 2 shades which got annoying really quick.

After switching to EDM, I got a pretty much perfect shade match (fairly light neutral - exactly as described, it's very fair, not too yellow, not too pink), and overall it just seemed nicer than the Alima stuff so I was super happy. I have some sort of rosacea type thing going on which is why I started using MMU in the first place. My skin is super sensitive, acne prone, and super super super oily. Like, you can literally see the oil coming out of my pores within 1-2 hrs of washing my face.

Anyway, upon application, this looks great. Super natural. People would tell me I have such flawless skin... little did they know, underneath it's all pore-y and blood vessel-y and ick. If it were up to me though, the finish would be slightly more matte, because it still has this slight sheen to it, even when you first put it on. But, anyway, those compliments on my skin would come in the morning, not too long after application. I have to say, this stuff has pretty much zero staying power on my oil slick of a face, although I can't imagine that there's a foundation out there that could actually hold up all day. But really, this stuff is pretty much gone by mid-day, especially if I've blotted with my MAC blot film. But I just accepted it as the way it is - no makeup left at the end of the day, oh well.

Only about a month go did I realize, why I am putting up with this? And started looking into some non-MMU foundations once again, for something with staying power. Right now I'm trying Shiseido Sheer Matifying Compact, just bought it today, we'll see how that goes. Anyway, so, my point is.... looks natural, didn't break me out at all which is great, even on those nights where I was out late and forgot to wash it off. Didn't irritate my skin whatsoever... in fact, it felt soothing in a way... BUT, doesn't hold up. =( but I blame my crappy skin mostly, which is why this gets 4 lippies.

It was super affordable - they used to have this thing where you could fill up a "kit" with any 6 items you like for like 30 CAD or something like that, so I'd just stock up on foundation so that each came out to about 5 bucks, which was awesome. They've since abolished this system, I believe, though, but the price isn't bad anyway, something like $12.

I do recommend this for less-oily people, it was my good friend for over 2 years.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2010 10:51:00 AM More reviews by sez87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My favourite EDM formula! Keeps the shine away for longest and looks more natural than intensive while still providing good coverage. The packaging gets messy - the cover over the sifter doesn't click into place to stay put. There are a tonne of shades to choose from. I mix a few different ones as my skin changes.