July 31, 2014 | 1299 users online

Powder - Everyday Minerals - Matte Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2010 5:46:00 PM More reviews by auramei

EDIT: Chalky. Winged Butter is so yellow that I look SICK. It will rub/melt off and leave me with "pink" spots on my face.

EDM wasn't the reason I was breaking out. I had switched to another birth control the same month I started using EDM again. Now, the pimple-period has passed and no more breakouts with EDM!

It's been 3 years since I've last used Everyday Minerals and I can't believe I have strayed away from their foundation line this long! I've gone through my usual makeup junkie cycles, having the need to try all the latest and "greatest" foundations that come out, but this EDM matte formula surpasses them all.

As a SE Asian with peachy, pink, AND golden tones complexion for my face with a yellow-golden neck, I have an extremely hard time finding the right foundation shade. From what I remember 4 years ago, MAC matched me to NC25-NC30.

Most drug store lines carry a multitude of pink shades (pink foundation does NOT counteract an already pink face) and very limited in golden tones. Even if the color matches, the next determining factor is how long does it last? I'm a busy girl. I don't have time to blot every 2-3 hours! Over the last 5 years, I came to the conclusion that except for a few drugstore brands, the best liquid foundation lines are found in department or makeup specialty stores. But wearing liquid foundation in 100 degree summer heat is unbearable and makes me very insecure.

Categorizing myself under combination skin, I have tested between Matte & Intensive and came to the conclusion that Matte works best for me in the summer & spring seasons. I will have to give Intensive a second chance during the winter when I am more prone to dryness, but for now, I love everything that the Matte formula offers! On average, I can go 5-6 hours until I need to blot & reapply a layer of loose powder. That is a record for me! The coverage is naturally beautiful! I look radiant and glowy. It doesn't look cakey, like a lot of medium-heavy coverage foundations (I.E. Revlon Colorstay) and the makeup doesn't "melt" by the 4th hour. The best part is my pores can breathe! After the first blot, I don't even realize that I have makeup on.

Yesterday, I had my makeup on from 11AM to 11PM. I blotted and reapplied a layer of loose silica powder by 6PM and by bedtime at 11PM, I had almost forgotten to take it off! Usually once I get home, I can't wait to remove all that gunk off of my face. With EDM Matte, I barely notice that I have anything on my face.

For shade reference, I ordered sample sizes in Winged Butter, Golden Medium, and Buttered Tan (in order of lighter to darker) for my NC25-30 face. Golden Medium matches me very well and Buttered Tan gives me a "faux" (but not artificially fake) glow, perfect for summer. Winged Butter oxidizes and turns me golden orange :(

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2010 9:16:00 AM More reviews by Beaner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had reviews for the semi-matte and matte but I deleted them because the quality has definitely gone down. I've been using EM for 4 years (or more) and this batch is not the same formula as my previous purchases. The formulas used to be silky and smooth. Now I get chalkiness in both the semi-matte and matte formulas. This will give you an idea. I was recently outside in in the morning when it was overly hot and extremely humid. When I got in the car and looked in the mirror, my powder had run and looked cakey. It had never done that with my previous purchases and I've lived in hot and humid summers all my life. I didn't have skin issues or sensitivies with the previous formulas and I still don't with these new ones (rosacea). I've recently tried some samples from Alima which are similar to the old EM. Sorry EM...Hello Alima!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/16/2010 1:16:00 PM More reviews by 88porsh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I tried the sample base kits in olive and tan, and between the two I decided that olive medium mixed with bronzed tan worked best for my skin color. Since they came in the matte formula I'm not really sure what the other formulas would look like on my skin since the colors were all so fair or pink based. Anyway, my overall opinion is that this foundation is better than several I've tried as far as color goes and it feels light, however it does not feel quite as light as bare escentuals and it is not as finely milled so it feels slightly oilier. I did wear primer underneath this and in comparison to bare escentuals, it did not hold up as well. I noticed I was oiler at the end of the day and would require more touchups. Also, it does not blend or conceal nearly as well as BE. I found it to be blotchy in some areas, especially as I got oilier throughout the day. It is much cheaper in comparison and many say it is less irritating to their skin so I really wanted to like this more than what I did, but I still favor BE. It's not bad though, just didn't give me quite the look that I can accomplish with the competitor. Would work much better for someone with dry-to-normal skin with more even tone, perhaps. Their prices and service are great, just not the product for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2010 10:34:00 PM More reviews by MYCATSHADOW

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I FOUND MY NEW HG FOUNDATION TODAY!! I just received my EM package & applied this foundation. All I can say is AMAZING! Natural, natural, natural looking!!! EXCELLENT coverage. A little goes a long way & my make-up application was so much quicker than with my normal M.A.C. Studio Fix powder foundation... YOU'VE GOT TO TRY!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2010 9:27:00 PM More reviews by HildeMV

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was sucked into the mineral vortex back when EDM had plenty of wonderful specials. Foundations, blushes, brushes and eyeshadows.
I have full sizes of all four formulas and matte is the one i use the most, second most is original glow. I apply it with the flat top kabuki which is great by the way.

Product:
So the first mineral makeup i bought was the BE, and I've never had an allergic reaction. I use fair in BE and cool-fair in EDM. In MAC concealer i use NW20. In the summer i use fair-medium semi-matte. First thing I learned when trying for shades is that it was rather silly of me buying all my samples in the semi matte formula which is very forgiving. I could have passed as an olive toned lass. I was so happy finding out about mineral makeup after unsuccessful attempts at making liquid look natural. I was even happier when I found I could get it even cheaper than BE. This does not cake, blends in and looks natural.

semi-matte: sheerest coverage. Great for summer.
matte: "normal" This is the one I use the most.
Original glo: At first I thought by the description that this was the sheerest but it isn't. It just has more of a glow to it than matte.
Intensive: Most opaque coverage, but it's not always comfortable wearing. The skin feels a little "tight". Maybe it would be better for someone with oily skin.

Packaging:
Has gotten better with the addition of the sifter cover, but I still think the packaging needs a little improving. It's very messy. My advice is not to remove the sifter protecting sticker, but rather poke one or two holes in it and put the new cover over when not using it. I learned this the hard way with my first foundations, blushes and eyeshadows.

Price:
Really good compared to the ones you can buy here(Norway) Their specials used to be way better which was more fun. So they've gone a little downhill. But it's still a good price for a good foundation. With the removal of the mini size its harder to get something larger than samples for people with custom limits which makes me feel they've ignored us international buyers. They've made a lot of changes since I started with EDM that I do not like. But this won't make me take a lippie off because it's unfair to the foundation. kinda.

So, yeah I would def recommend it(which I have IRL), and buy again(already done :p)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/29/2010 12:48:00 AM More reviews by SoSleepy

Oh man, did this wreck my skin! I feel awful writing a bad review for it because I really liked the company. Prices weren't bad and customer service was great but I just really didn't like this foundation (or any of the other formulas, for that matter..). It had a tendency to go on kind of blotchy and just make my skin look blah and tired. It didn't give a nice, airbrushed look that I had expected after using Lumiere for years. That really wasn't the part that killed it for me though. It was the HORRIBLE breakouts! My skin erupted with this stuff like it never has before. I actually still have a couple of scars from it. Not happy. The two stars were for price and customer service.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2010 1:18:00 AM More reviews by bebeblondie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been using EDM Matte for the past 2-3ish years. Before EDM, I used Alima MMU which didn't have a shade to match my complexion so I would mix 2 shades which got annoying really quick.

After switching to EDM, I got a pretty much perfect shade match (fairly light neutral - exactly as described, it's very fair, not too yellow, not too pink), and overall it just seemed nicer than the Alima stuff so I was super happy. I have some sort of rosacea type thing going on which is why I started using MMU in the first place. My skin is super sensitive, acne prone, and super super super oily. Like, you can literally see the oil coming out of my pores within 1-2 hrs of washing my face.

Anyway, upon application, this looks great. Super natural. People would tell me I have such flawless skin... little did they know, underneath it's all pore-y and blood vessel-y and ick. If it were up to me though, the finish would be slightly more matte, because it still has this slight sheen to it, even when you first put it on. But, anyway, those compliments on my skin would come in the morning, not too long after application. I have to say, this stuff has pretty much zero staying power on my oil slick of a face, although I can't imagine that there's a foundation out there that could actually hold up all day. But really, this stuff is pretty much gone by mid-day, especially if I've blotted with my MAC blot film. But I just accepted it as the way it is - no makeup left at the end of the day, oh well.

Only about a month go did I realize, why I am putting up with this? And started looking into some non-MMU foundations once again, for something with staying power. Right now I'm trying Shiseido Sheer Matifying Compact, just bought it today, we'll see how that goes. Anyway, so, my point is.... looks natural, didn't break me out at all which is great, even on those nights where I was out late and forgot to wash it off. Didn't irritate my skin whatsoever... in fact, it felt soothing in a way... BUT, doesn't hold up. =( but I blame my crappy skin mostly, which is why this gets 4 lippies.

It was super affordable - they used to have this thing where you could fill up a "kit" with any 6 items you like for like 30 CAD or something like that, so I'd just stock up on foundation so that each came out to about 5 bucks, which was awesome. They've since abolished this system, I believe, though, but the price isn't bad anyway, something like $12.

I do recommend this for less-oily people, it was my good friend for over 2 years.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2010 10:51:00 AM More reviews by sez87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My favourite EDM formula! Keeps the shine away for longest and looks more natural than intensive while still providing good coverage. The packaging gets messy - the cover over the sifter doesn't click into place to stay put. There are a tonne of shades to choose from. I mix a few different ones as my skin changes.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2010 1:30:00 PM More reviews by azunino228

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got the Try Me - Base - Olive sample kit. Unfortunately none of the colors were wearable... either to light or dark and too yellow/green. I don't know who has skin these colors? Or maybe I just have really weird skin. I kind of wanted to try another tone kit but it just wouldn't be worth it because by the afternoon this just looks terrible... like I haven't put anything on. I wanted to like this, but alas...

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2010 7:35:00 PM More reviews by bebemonte

I am NC25 and Medium Golden matches my skin very well. I like how fast the application is and how natural it looks. The coverage is medium and about 85% matte.
Great everyday foundation that takes a minute to put on.
I still prefer Estee Lauder Double Wear for special occasions and full coverage at night.

Edit:
I am adding a lippie because I finally figured out how to use this to create even natural finish that is not too cakey. I spray rosewater toner on a stippling brush and use the foundation wet, not buffed in dry with a kabuki as before and it is 10 times more natural with medium coverage and decent oil control.
DEFINITELY TRY USING IT WITH A WET BRUSH!!!

You know after wearing this a couple of more times, the love affair is over -- my husband even pointed out how thick and cakey this foundation looks on me. Will still to Estee Lauder Double Wear or Double Matte -- those are PERFECT for my sensitive super oily acne prone skin