Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup SPF 15

3.4

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 4.0%, Oxybenzone 3.0%. Inactive Ingredients: Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Cetyl Peg/Ppg 10/1 Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glycerin, Glyceryl Behenate, Glyceryl Dibehenate, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Hexyl Laurate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin, Isododecane, Isoeicosane, Macrocystic Pyrifera Extract, Magnesium Sulfate, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-38, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Phenoxyethanol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Potassium Sorbate, Propylene Carbonate, Pvp, Quaternium-90 Bentonite, Silica, Sodium Benzoate, Tocopherylacetate, Tribehenin, Triethoxylcaprylylsilane, Water. May Contain (+/-): Iron Oxides (Ci 77491), Iron Oxides (Ci 77492), Iron Oxides (Ci 77499), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891).

on 3/27/2011 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I am NW 20 and used a very nice sized sample of 1.0 for 5 days. I applied it with a similar brush to their $59 one and the first time I applied this foundation I could have cried, it was so amazing but I didn't cry because I didn't want to ruin the perfection. My skin looked airbrush magazine quality-my large pores were INVISIBLE and the finish was perfectly satin. I could have gone out with just foundation on and felt absolutely gorgeous.

BUT-as I used this over 5 days, I realized that the coverage didn't last--by lunch it didn't look as nice and by the end of a 9 hour day it had worn off and I looked patchy. I DID not try this with a primer, as the SA told me it has primer in it but maybe that would make a difference? Anyway, for $60 I want a foundation that will take me through my day. If it were less expensive I would buy it for nights out or special events but the price is just too steep for such short wear.

on 1/30/2011 11:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm re-writing this review because I recently received a sample of this again from Mecca and I tried it (remembering how much I loved it when I had the first bottle) but it was so emollient it made my eyes look old, tired and crepey. In every other way this looks great, but when a foundation makes your eyes look tired it's an instant fail.

By Terry - plumping fluid foundation, Clarins - everlasting, Armani - lasting silk, MAC - pro longwear/studio fix, Smashbox - Healthy FX, Chanel - perfecting, La Prairie - cellular treatment powder foundation, Este Lauder -double wear, LM-lasting silk, Tarte - Amazonian Clay; and a thousand different mineral foundations.

on 1/28/2011 8:40:00 AM

First let me say this is my first day using this product so I reserve the right to amend this review. However I had to comment that I am AMAZED at what a nice finish this makeup gives! This is the first foundation I have used that doesn't settle into fine lines. It actually took a couple of years off my face!

The reason I fear I might have to amend this product is if it affects my very sensitive skin. I tend to break out over the slightest thing and trying any new product is tricky for me. So while it feels great today, the true test will come in a few days to see if my skin reacts badly.

I'm really crossing my fingers that my skin takes to this product because I love the look of it. I have combination dry/oily skin with fine lines around the eyes and this makeup really makes my skin look even. I also like the slightly dewey look it gives. And the color is a perfect match (I'm using Nude).

So my first impression is that while it is indeed very expensive, if it keeps working like this then it's worth every penny! I also noticed it did not take much at all to cover my entire face so I'm hopeful one jar will last a while.

on 1/6/2011 5:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

My favourite foundation ever.
I have found that this foundation works very well on normal to dry skin/mature skin. Combination skin that is on the more oily side might find it not quite matte enough (if that is the type of finish you're after) and that it moves a bit as the day goes on.
But what I have found for me and the clients I have used it on is that it actually looks better throughout the day. It mingles with the skins natural oils and creates a gorgeous dewy complexion - well in my case, though I don't really have that bad skin...
It has a wonderful buildable coverage and if you use it with the Hourglass brush, the more you buff it in (using small circular motions) the better and more natural it looks.
I have had a bit of trouble finding the right shades in the Veil foundations for some people but then I'll usually turn to the tinted moisturiser (which still has great coverage) and find the right one.
If all else fails I'll then move on to the NARS Sheer Glow :)

on 12/19/2010 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I asked for a tester at Sephora and totally felt in love with this foundation when I first used it.
Then I purchased it the next day. However, the more that I use it, the more that I dislike it. The beautiful flawless effect only last for 2-3 hours even though I have normal-dry skin. And the color didn't match my chest and neck. The foundation is too pink for my skin tone. The color selection is quite limited compare to other professional makeup brand like makeupforever, mac...etc.
I really wanted to like this but it didn't work for me. I am going to return it.

on 11/26/2010 9:39:00 PM

Boy is this stuff expensive ($60US) but does it ever do wonders for my skin. My skin is normal/dry, pretty problem free. All I wanted was something that looks extremely natural, not cakey or drying, dewy but not glittery, with SPF, doesn't clog my pores, buildable coverage, evens out my skintone, and I finally found it with this. I tried so many foundations to no avail and I finally tried the hourglass tinted moisturizer and it was wayyy to glittery/shimmery for me so I tried this and fell in love! I use Jane iredale pressed powder lightly as a setting powder and they last all day. This stuff is really worth the price.

UPDATE:
so i've been trying out different foundation options lately and while i found a couple other great formulas, i continue to come back to this. the staying power is really where it's at with this product. i wear this when i know i'm working a long day or staying out late because my makeup will look fresh 8-10 hours after i applied it and need minimal touch ups. the finish is the best i've found for my skin. the only downside with this product is i can't see when i'm running low since the bottle is opaque. bummer, but i will definitely repurchase and splurge on this product.

on 11/22/2010 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got a small sample of this at Sephora about 10 months ago when I was purchasing the Veil Primer (which lasts for months btw).
It took me until about a week ago to try it. I applied it with a foundation brush and found the coverage to be full and flawless and seems to match my skin perfectly. I have some acne discoloration and sun spots that I like to cover and this did a great job of it. I took the plunge and bought a bottle (#2 color). I was debating between this, the MUFE HD foundation which was appealing because I saw a tutorial where it was applied on Kim Kardashian, and the YSL foundation that was being worn by the Sephora employee. I chose the Hourglass because of my own positive experience with the sample and because it has skincare ingredients in it. I also got the foundation brush made by Hourglass that is supposed to be the prefered application with this product ($58), used to buff the product into the skin. Once I got it home I was initially disappointed because my sample was thicker than the product that came from the bottle, mostly due to the age of the sample I think. I was also not impressed with the brush initially because it didn't provide as full of coverage as a standard foundation brush. After some experimentation with the Hourglass brush, a foundation brush, my fingers and building the coverage I feel like a am getting closer to my ideal finish. Some tips so far... Put the product on your hand or a CD and dab the top of your brush into it, then stipple it onto your jaw line, go back in and buff it around that area, above and below the jaw line. Continue to blend it up your face in circular buffing motions concentrating on the frame of your face and buffing in toward your your nose. If you have visible pores and fine lines around your mouth, nose and eyes it is best to buff just leftovers from the brush, don't put fresh brushfuls in that area, I found it to settle a little too much into those pores and lines. What I like about this product is that you can build it, go back in and add more. I don't even have to use concealer, I go back over spots and blemishes with my finger and pat some product on those areas. I like the dewey finish as well- great for normal or dry skin. It looks best set with translucent powder. Overall I would say that it's versatile, has a flawless airbrushed finish and covers my imperfections without looking like a mask. Best foundation I have found so far!

on 11/17/2010 11:10:00 AM

I have a light birthmark on my face, and I have had success with cover FX liquid foundation...I was approached by the hourglass rep who sold this to me, claiming it would be comparable, but the coverage is too light. The consistency is great for the rest of my face, but even patting some on with my finger after regular application didn't do it. Also, my oil broke through after 2 hours. I would recommend this for light full face coverage, but not for anything specific you want to conceal after application.

on 11/12/2010 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I don't like it. My oils break through this after a couple hours. I've been using Laura Mercier oil free foundation for years and can usually make it 4 hours before I need to blot. With this foundation I was extremely shiny after two. I tried different methods of application, different primers, as well as setting with different powders but nothing worked so it's going back. I can't justify $60 for a foundation that doesn't perform better than the my LM oil free one. The only think I liked was the bottle.

on 10/31/2010 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Love this foundation! I've tried just about everything in foundation there is. I am very fair. Foundations either make me look like a ghost or are too pink. I've tried Bobbi Brown, MUFE, Armani, MAC, Dior, I could go on and on. Number 0 is perfect.

Was in Sephora and got a sample on a whim. Color is perfect. Looks so natural. I have extremely dry skin and the foundation looks amazing on it. I'm hooked.

Updating - after trying for a few weeks, I returned it. Doesn't last on skin :(