December 21, 2014 | 1460 users online

Self Tanners - Malibu Tan - Hemp Golden Glow Skin Firming Bronzing Moisturizer

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2010 12:37:00 AM More reviews by meaganh

i just bought this the other night at walmart, i noticed lately i was looking very white since summer is over. and i usually would just go tanning in a bed but when i get older i dont want to be super wrinkly and stuff, so im going to try to stay out of the sun and tanning beds. but every other self tanner ive used left me streaky and orange, the one specific kind i remember was by dove i think. but this stuff is great. it smells delicious, not that icky tanner smell. and its giving me a great even glow. i've only used it the past 2 days. i just get a shower and put it on afterwards. it doesnt take it very long to dry either. i put it on, do my makeup, then im ready to get dressed and go. im like a see through white usually lol but now i have a great glow going on. i just didn't like how my face was soooo much whiter then my body, so i just put some on my face and i'll see how that works out then write more about it. but hopefully its good. i do really wish they made this come in darker shades, and for a regular face mosturizer, but ohh well im still happy with it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2010 10:52:00 PM More reviews by mmton

I bought this product last Summer and I absolutely loved it!! However, around the same time I used it I started breaking out in hives and my boyfriend convinced me I was allergic to peanuts!! After reading the other comments I realized it was this stuff all along. So ya, I'm allergic to it, but it's the only thing that gives me a natural glow. I still use it, but at the same time I have to use zyrtec (allergy pills)!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2010 9:39:00 PM More reviews by LexiJo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great gradual self tanner except for the fact that it caused me to break out in a very itchy rash everywhere I applied it! I love the fact that it is gradual and that it does not have a color guide. It does NOT smell like practically every other DHA containing thing does. It dries pretty fast, moisturizes pretty well, and the color was a light, believable golden tan. I was really happy with this early on the second day, but by mid-day I was starting to itch. I didn't associate it with this self-tanner, so I applied it again the next morning (it smells good enough to apply in the morning and wear out in public throughout the day and not worry about reeking of fake bake). By the end of the third day I was covered in a very itchy raised rash...thank God I didn't apply it to my face! I stopped using it and the rash went away. When I gave it another try this week, boom, the same rash is back. Rats, because other than that I was really happy with it. Overall I'd highly recommend it if you're not sensitive at all and your skin can tolerate it. For sensitive girls, beware! Love the color, scent, moisturizing...hate the very itchy rash! I have seen others that have had this reaction too, so hopefully the company will address it and reformulate. I just wish I knew what ingredient I was allergic to in it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2010 9:49:00 PM More reviews by TacoFlavoredKisses

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Pretty great for a cheap self tanner. I've tried so many high-end, costly products that didn't give me the results that this one did, and I picked this up from Wal-Mart for like $7? It's HUGE! The smell is not too bad, you can barely smell the DHA, and I am very sensitive to that nasty smell. It has a light tropical scent, it dries pretty quickly, and with just one use, it takes the harsh, blaringly white edge off of my pale skin. With subsequent uses, the color keeps deepening. I don't think this will produce a major dark, amazing tan, but for someone who wants quick, easy results without any hassle, this is it. Not the least bit orangey. I'm very happy I found this, thanks to MUA. I probably would have never picked this up if it wasn't for the raves I read on here. *UPDATE: This faded a little bit blotchy on me regardless of prior exfoliation, and also, the Kardashian tanning gel smells less like DHA and is SO much more moisturizing!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2010 10:24:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

I cannot believe I have not yet reviewed this product - this has been my most favorite self-tanner for a year! However, mine (18 fl oz pump bottle purchased at Walmart for $5.77) is called Malibu Hemp Golden Glow Skin Firming Bronzing Moisturizer and my ingredients are different than those posted. My bottle says (I kept out the technical terms if a more common term was also used - example if coconut (cocos nucifera) oil is listed, I'm only listing coconut oil):

Water, Propylene Glycol, Coconut Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetyl Alcohol, Sorbitan Stearate, Dihydroxyacetone, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Hempseed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Erthyrulose, Hydrolyzed Citrus Aurantium Dulces Fruit Extract, Alcohol, Lecithin, Ubiquinone, Butylene Glycol, PEG-8, Bupleurum Falcatum Extract, Caffeine, Co-enzyme A, Sesame Oil, Jojoba Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Olive Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Green Tea Extract, Calendula Officinalis Extract, Cyclomethacone, Dimethicone, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Sorbate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance, BHT, Citric Acid.

The smell is divine, tropical, not overpowering and fades rather quickly -I get NO self tanner smell at all. The color payoff is even, non-streaky, pretty and natural looking (I'm VERY fair and detest anything orange - I would not leave the house if I looked like an oompaloompah and this stuff has none of that). It doesn't stain my hands; its cheap at Walmart. I have never had any adverse reaction (allergic) like I have had w/ quite a few self-tanners. Bottle also says it has "CoQ10 to moisturize, firm and reduce wrinkles while subtly enhancing skin w/a healthy glow." Don't really know if its done more than giving me a nice glow, but I'd like to hope/think it does and my skin does look pretty darn good and even!

I have used 3 bottles, am on my 4th and since another reviewer has stated Walmart may no longer be carrying, I'm stopping my my Walmart tomorrow and if they have any left, will stock up! HG material!

UPDATE (next a.m.) I stopped by my Walmart and there were 11 bottles on the shelf - I now own 4 of them! :)

UPDATE 8/1/10 - there are no more bottles at my Walmart. However, yesterday while browsing Sally's Beauty Supply, I noticed a bottle that was very similar looking from the same company (Creative Labs in Eagan, MN), so the next day (today) I returned to Sally's w/ one of my bottles of this and compared the 2 bottles side by side, ingredient by ingredient and WHOO HOO - its the EXACT same product - at Sally's its called Moist Hemp Bronzing Moisturizer. A 16 oz bottle is $8.50. I asked the SA if this was something new for them or if they were phasing it out or if it is a regular product kept in stock - she said they have carried it for a long time and as best she knows, there are no plans to change that. So - if you are looking desperately around for Malibu and can't find it, now you know where to go. :)

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2010 12:54:00 AM More reviews by tarapickholtz

Yay, a self tanner with a pleasant scent! I was out to buy another bottle of Ocean Potion Ever Glow gradual self tanning lotion, which was one of the better smelling gradual tan lotions in my opinion, but haven't been seeing it at store anymore. I saw the Malibu Tan Hemp Golden Glow lotion at Walmart and decided to check it out. I took a sniff and noticed that it smelled kind of like bananas and coconut. If you don't care for tropical scents, you probably won't like this, but I really like the scent a lot. Great for summer! I also liked that it wasn't tinted, so that way I wouldn't stain my clothes after applying. It was between $5-6, so a great price, although the Ocean Potion stuff was even cheaper at $3-4 for a larger bottle. Either way, much cheaper and better smelling than other products. I can't stand the scent of Jergens gradual self tanners and many of the other popular brands (I've heard that some of the Coppertone ones are okay, so I'd be willing to give that one a try if I can't find the Malibu one again). I applied this pretty quickly after a shower without any special kind of exfoliating or using any other lotions. I still put a normal amount on my knees and elbows and even a little bit on my feet. It was nice and moisturizing and made my skin feel nice, yet wasn't sticky or greasy. I do notice that Ocean Potion can get a little sticky, so this was a big plus to me! I waited about 5 minutes before getting dressed again. In the morning, I noticed that I had a slight glow, which was great because I looked well rested and my skin looked more even. After two days, I could definitely notice the color a little more. Today was day three and I look forward to seeing how it turns out. I DO hope that if I apply this every day, I get a good amount of color. So far it's very natural looking and not super noticeable, and I would love a darker tan! Another wonderful thing... usually when I'm self tanning, after I shave my legs, the self tanner tends to come off and my legs look a little streaky. I just shaved and my legs don't have any streaks! Wonderful! I'm still applying it pretty quickly in just a few minutes and don't exfoliate, yet I still get even, non-streaky color. I just think you have to be patient and apply it every day to get noticeable results. This is fine, because I use a body lotion after showering every night, and this works great as a normal lotion. I even used it on my face and haven't had any breakouts from it. The tint on me is very nice, not yellow or orange or any weird color. I do notice a very slight DHA scent as the color starts to develop, but it's barely there. I notice that it fades off by the morning anyway. It's definitely much less noticeable than most other brands (again, only Ocean Potion is comparable for me). I'd definitely repurchase and am very happy that I gave this stuff a try!

My suggestion- just take a sniff of the product in the store before buying. The tropical scent stays noticeable for at least a few hours, so make sure you like it! I do! Also, remember that this is a gradual self tanner, so the results aren't going to be super noticeable and you won't get a super dark tan. I find that these are easier to use in the long run b/c they are faster to use, and your tan stays pretty even in color rather than being much darker some days, then fading, then dark again, etc. Try this out!

EDIT: I continue to get good results with this stuff! I still like the scent very much, although I still recommend smelling it first to make sure you like the tropical scent. The self tanner smell really is hardly, hardly there. Even with others that smelled pretty decent, I noticed a self tanner scent slightly more than this one about an hour or so after applying. This one has the least scent for me so far. I good a nice slightly darker color, although I do wish they had a version that got a little darker (I guess that would affect the smell though). One of my favorite things is that when I shave, my legs don't look streaky from the self tanner coming off. It seems to still look good!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2010 1:39:00 AM More reviews by Honeybabe39

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product! I am not really a fan of self tanners as they are a lot of work to put on, can fade wierdly, and worst of all is the smell! This formula is the best self tanner I've ever used, and I have tried many, from the high end to low. I regularly go tanning, but I try to supplement it with self tanner so that I don't have to go as often, so I'm starting with a decently dark base color. After one use, my skintone looks much more even and a little darker. I use this maybe once every 2-3 days in the summer to even out my color and get a little darker, and it looks so natural!
The best part of the product is that you don't have to put in all the work of a regular self tanner. If you don't exfoliate before you use it, it won't streak or come off quicker. You can apply it just like a regular moisturizer without worrying about looking streaky. I have very dry skin and it actually moisturizes fantastically! It also hasn't caused any chest or back acne, which I sometimes have problems with. And best of all - it doesn't smell! Woohoo!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2010 1:04:00 PM More reviews by lionsloverosie

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this product for about a month off and on. I really like it, although sometimes when I use to much I break out in hives. My sister has been using it for a long time though and likes it a lot. It's deffintely made me look nice and bronze. The only down side I see is that it doesn't darken my skin as much as other things, but I still like it.
I'd deffintely recommend it, although if you have sensitive skin I wouldn't use too much. Due to the hives and itchyness.

-Rosie

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2010 2:11:00 AM More reviews by lein1015

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product is very consistent as well as has a nice color. I usually use this item in between self tanner applications for moisture as well and maintence. The smell is light and yummy smelling. It does not stink over time either! To top it all off, it's super cheap! The only downfall for this item is that it does not give you that much color if used alone. It's worth a shot!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/13/2010 10:25:00 AM More reviews by ShailahJade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I gave this product 3 lippies because it looked great indoors, but outside I looked orange and under fluorescent lights I looked yellow. It was such a shame too, because the smell of this product is fantastic and it dried so quickly! Sigh....I'll keep looking.