April 24, 2014 | 1590 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Frost - Ricepaper

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2011 1:15:00 PM More reviews by nattyngeorge

Ricepaper is a frosted champagne with a yellow/golden tone. This is the only highlight that really works well on my medium skintone. Others look too white & are too noticeable. But the lightest touch of this on my brow bone looks great. I also like using this as an all over lid color, and then applying a brown in my crease for a natural look.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2011 1:48:00 AM More reviews by kimchichick

When you swatch Ricepaper onto your fingertip, you will see buttery goldish yellow cream colour. Once you rub that onto the back of your hand (or your lids), it turns into this brighter yellow-white sheen and loses that goldish yellow undertone. I guess if you're fair you will notice the yellow more, but for medium to dark skin tones, it will look white with the tiniest hint of yellow, which you won't notice.
Ricepaper leaves a sheen, rather than shimmer or frost, so it works great for a highlight. It's a wearable colour for pretty much anyone and has great smooth texture, so I can see why so many people love this. I will not repurchase however because I was looking for that initial colour I get on my fingertip.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2011 4:54:00 PM More reviews by glitteradi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am trying to switch to Bobbi Brown makeup but I doubt that Ill ever switch to her shadows. I love Ricepaper, to me, looking it in its pan, it really does look like it is easy to dupe, but why in earth I have never able to find another perfect nude shade like this? It has just enough glow to keep it from looking dull, yet it is not too frosty to make one look too madeup and it has the most amazing pigment. It really brightens my pale eye skin NW 15 or 20 really well. I have tried the creme of the creme shadows by brands like Shu Uemura, Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, Nars, Chanel and Dior, and cheap ones but I have never came across something quite as exceptionel as this shade. I like this better than Jest too even though I used to think Jest is the best for nude look, but it is really a little bit more frosty than Ricepaper. In my opinion, MAC has the best shadows.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2011 10:52:00 PM More reviews by elizabeth2279

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use Ricepaper mainly as a highlighter in the inner V. As a lid color it just makes me look sickly! But for what I use it for, it does a wonderful job at bringing that extra little pop to my eyes. Even though I use it almost every day, I can't imagine running out anytime soon. And even if I did, I have other shades which are quite similar, so no, I probably will not re-purchase. Also, this one seems to be quite dupable if you're just using it as a highlighter as I am.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2011 10:56:00 PM More reviews by silverplum13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ricepaper may very well be my favorite Mac shadow. The color is just so versatile it's crazy. I use this for an all over lid color as well as a browbone and inner corner highlight. I personally don't think it's as frosty as people make it out to be. It blends beautifully as well. Ricepaper is just so easy, I reach for it CONSTANTLY! Ricepaper on the lid and brow bone with any darker color in the crease! Fool proof! How could you not love it?! You can do neutral looks and even dramatic looks with it. My personal favorite combo is to use Ricepaper on the lid, Deep Truth in the crease, and Carbon on the outer V. It's a classy dramatic look that's not over the top at all. I get compliments every time I wear this look. I will buy this again and again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2011 2:00:00 PM More reviews by gunkfury

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I've noticed that a lot of the negative reviews on this product was due to the reviewers' dissatisfaction with, get this, THE SHADE.

Before buying anything, especially expensive makeup, do your research, check out pictures, and if you don't have time to do those, it's not that difficult to swatch something first in the store. If you're ordering online, you're relying on YOUR judgment based on the pictures you're seeing. In any case, unless the product is horribly misrepresented on its official website, it is YOUR fault if you don't like the color you end up with. Companies and product developers are not gods. They cannot possibly predict which color will fit EACH and EVERY skin tone the people who order have.

YOU saw it. YOU judged it. YOU bought it.

Ricepaper is a frost finish. It is ridiculous to hate it because it's frosty. :|

When you swatch Ricepaper, it looks like a really pale yellowy gold. In fact, the pan register looks much the same way. Therefore, it is also ridiculous to hate it because it's pale. Or yellow. Or gold. :|

Now, about the shadow itself. It is well pigmented, smooth, and the miniscule shimmer in it that makes it frosty is infused into the product well enough that you don't get fall-out. This is a smooth shadow (unlike Carbon, ick!), but it is not the smoothest, butteriest shadow out there. It's not difficult to work with AT ALL, though. A few taps into it and you get just enough product on your fluffy brush to highlight your browbone and/or inner corners. Getting rougher with it using a stiffer brush (ooh, that sounded naughty) will definitely pack on the pale color on the lid.

If you're looking to flatter your skin tone, this is particularly great for warm undertones. I find that this shadow looks awesome with browns and golds. It's just subtle enough to compliment those shades without being totally ineffective.

Ricepaper is not so pale that it's white and chalky-looking, and it's definitely dark enough that the yellows in it WILL show up if you want them to.

The staying power is pretty standard. I've never really had to reapply this, but then again, of course, it's more difficult to notice fading with a pale color.

Though I find it very difficult to imagine that I would EVER hit pan, just because I have a ton of other pale eyeshadows and I love variety, I WOULD buy this again if I did indeed run out of it as it is one of the most underrated, gorgeous eyeshadows by MAC.

33 out of 46 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2011 7:04:00 PM More reviews by HIYELLOW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had heard about RicePaper for years. I am NC25 (approximately) and a GGG. I LOVE MAC FemmeFi for the lid and the brow bone and I can work with Nylon even though it shimmers a bit. I really love Polished Ivory (very white and matte) as a highlighter and Vanilla pigment is great but it flashes gold. I saw a lady my complexion use RicePaper on the inner corner and I buy everything she suggests so I got this. I am shocked. I could have done completely without Ricepaper. It matches my eyelid-just slightly lighter-and as on reviewer mentioned, on the brow bone it flakes and looks blotchy and strange. So now I use it sparingly in the inner corner and prefer the other colors I have mentioned. I don't get the hype.

Edit: On a GGG, Ricepaper requires a light hand and finesse. I was using too much. A light swipe looks pretty. I will never repurchase though.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2011 3:16:00 PM More reviews by slivola

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this, just got it yesterday! It's a perfect highlighter or for toning down a color on the lid. I have a warm yellow/olive but fair skintone and brown eyes- this is perfect for my complexion.

I'm wearing it today on my brow bone and inner eye corner with rubenesque as a base ( just on my lower lids). Tweet me on inside half of lid and amber lights on outer crease/V. Beautiful combo with the ricepaper!

I notice the reviewers who didn't like it have cool skintones. I think cooler tones would do much better with shroom. I tested that one yesterday but it was too pink on my skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2011 2:34:00 PM More reviews by Kathy123

I think this is an odd color as it is way too shimmery and too pale for my skin. I am NC 30 and this looked really bad on my brow bone. It looked as if I had some kind of disease. On the inner corner of the eyes, it looks decent but for heaven sake, do we need to pay $15 and get that much product for such effect?

6 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2011 11:57:00 AM More reviews by rinroo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my go-to eyeshadow when i simply want a natural - "I'm awake" look.

I'm not a massive eyeshadow person *gasp! But i always feel i need a base layer on my lids.

Ricepaper has a lovely texture and applies like a dream, two sweeps is all it takes on my NW-20 skin to make me look as if i've had 12 hours sleep and i'm raring to tackle the day, even if i dont feel that way. I always have this eyeshadow on and often use it as a base layer to other colours.

The best part is, it doesn't crease.