November 23, 2014 | 2059 users online

Shampoo - Giovanni - Smooth as Silk

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2010 12:48:00 AM More reviews by MichikoFliz

I bought this because I like using products where I can have peace of mind.

It is lightly scented with grapefruit which I love. It lathered nicely and felt nice to use. I've used more than half of the bottle already so I think I've used it enough to give an accurate review.

My hair isn't smooth as silk as the shampoo suggests. I do use it with the matching conditioner but it hasn't been doing me miracles.

Good basic shampoo that doesn't dry hair but not great for dramatic results.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2010 10:31:00 PM More reviews by Divab16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG shampoo! This makes my kinky curly hair really soft. Doesn't smell to strong and lathers really well.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2010 3:45:00 AM More reviews by ximachikenx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Really wanted to try this product as it is both organic and sulfate-free. However, after using an entire bottle of just the Smooth as Silk shampoo with my regular conditioner, I think I'll stick to using my customary Pantene Pro-V instead.

This shampoo is pretty expensive, at around 7.99 for 8 oz. at Walmart. Packaging is a little unusual but not too bad, I actually like that the bottle isn't opaque so I can see exactly how much product I have left. I figured I was getting what I paid for though, and for awhile I did like this shampoo. It smells nice and lathers up really well despite things I've read about sulfate-free shampoos not foaming up.

Anyways, I realized that my bangs got oily a lot faster after using this product (strangely the rest of my hair wasn't affected; didn't get better or worse). As I neared the end of the bottle I could feel that my bangs were being weighed down with what felt like residue, which I have never gotten from any shampoo before. Sad to say, that coupled with the small amount and the hefty price, will not be buying again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2010 7:54:00 AM More reviews by DKER

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Nice shampoo which smelled good, did not overdry, and DID leave my hair smooth. And plastered to my scalp. I have wavy hair and almost NEVER have a problem with flat/volumeless hair. But I do after this shampoo/conditioner. shampoo is sulfate free but has a 'cone in it which is probably the suspect....I only use shampoo on my scalp and there is no reason to have 'cones there. May try the conditioner on its own again sometime since I think it is 'cone-free.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/4/2010 10:14:00 AM More reviews by AnnieRocco

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Just tried it today. Smells nice, not too overwhelming. Lathers much better than some organic shampoos ive tried. Effects not knows yet since its the first time i tried. will update again.

update: totally dried up my hair. i had a hair cut just before i started using this (to get rid of my split ends) but just after bout 10days of using this series(shampoo, conditioner, treatments etc), i now have a full head of split ends! unbelieveable! i wanted to remove ALL the lipies but it seems that i need to give a minimum 1 so there u are (the 1 lippie)

now im back to using the commercial shampoo and conditioner and wonder what to do with the remaining product...

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2010 10:52:00 PM More reviews by sexytresses

HG shampoo! If they ever stop making this I'm doomed!! This stuff cleans my hair, without stripping it of moisture or color

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2010 4:52:00 PM More reviews by Kayr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This seemed to work great at first but then felt like it was drying my hair out after a while and had to stop using it. It had great cleaning feeling but didn't do much for the frizzies. Another uber-fail for me! And it sucks because I am trying to find all organic hair products that actually work (but yes, I did eventually find some...yay!).

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2010 12:00:00 PM More reviews by Hannahrlinz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have dry and damaged hair that's naturally wavy and pretty thick. I wanted to get a product that was sulfate-free, so I used this shampoo and conditioner for the first time last night, and while doing so, I felt it made my hair super dry and not moisturized at all. However, this morning I noticed that my hair was SO shiny, bouncy, silky, etc. It's never like that! They both also smell like grapefruit, but it's not overpowering at all. It's very subtle. LOVE!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2010 7:28:00 PM More reviews by characterarc

This is a nice sulfate-free shampoo. It's inexpensive and organic. It lathers nicely but I don't think it's necessary. It definitely helps in reducing frizz. I have thick, wavy, medium-textured hair. Will buy again.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/28/2010 11:45:00 AM More reviews by boomygrrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After my favorite shampoo got discontinued, I was on a hunt for an effective (read: thoroughly cleansing) sulfate-free shampoo. I don't think I found it in this shampoo. The smell is nice. It gave inconsistent results in cleaning my hair. Some uses it seemed like it did a great job cleaning; other times not so much. Not sure why that is.
I think it's been reformulated, and I don't know if I have the old or new formulation. Why I say this is that on my bottle, there is no mention of amodimethicone and the texture is creamy. At the store, it appears to be of thinner substance and there is amodimethicone in it.
Since it was in a different store than where I bought mine, I can't be for sure which is older and which is newer. I'm going to assume mine is the older formulation (??). The a-cone isn't an issue with me, but it might be with you. So look at the ingredient list, if you're concerned.

I'm still on the hunt for something better.