Avene Cicalfate Creme Restauratrice

4.4

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glycerin, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Zinc Oxide, Propylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-2-Sesquiisostearate, PEG-22/Dodecyl Glycol Copolymer, Aluminum Sucrose, Octasulfate, Aluminum Stearate, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina), Zinc Sulfate.

on 4/20/2012 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I can not say "maybe" it's always just "yes" or "no". I love the body wash, the body lotion/cream, but I am on the fence about this.
I use it once a week to help moisturize my skin in certain areas from my psoriasis patches, so it heals a bit faster at least that's what I'd like to think. I only use a bit and I pat it onto my patch after I use my body lotion/cream from Avene, I'm finding that the body lotion/cream is a better fix than this.
It states that it is to repair the skin and I find that the body lotion/cream does a great job without this. I also find that this tends to dry out my patches and that makes things worse for me. I can not use this on my hands, but I can with the body lotion/cream and my hands are soft for about 3 hours then it's back to drysville, but if I don't use it and I just use the body lotion/cream I am soft for all day and then some.
I suppose I should just use this in winter and let things be as they should be in the summer, but if I'm dry in the summer from this particular cream then how will it be in the winter when everything is dryer than Nevada in June? I'm afraid, LOL.
I will use this as needed for a more intense thing if it needs to be like that. I am guessing that I will find it a better use in the winter. I just have to wait. I will update then. For now it is what it is.

on 3/27/2012 10:44:00 AM

This product is a big NO for me! It doesn't help me in any way, it is hard to spread, it sits on the skin and it looks weird, it clogs my pores and it leaves a white cast on my face. Disgusting. For sure I will not buy it again and I will use the rest of the cream on my hands.

on 3/20/2012 10:53:00 AM

I was actually given this product by my plastic surgeon after my tummy tuck/breast reduction surgeries. I had a scar revision tummy tuck after multiple surgeries on my abdomen for a perforated bowel. This is a miracle product for fair skinned people whose scars are reddish in color. This product minimized the redness and really healed my abdomen/breasts at a fast rate. I would highly recommend this product for extensive scar minimizing the redness and healing time.

on 2/22/2012 4:49:00 PM

UPDATE- I just upped this to a 5 because it came to the rescue yet again after a very aggressive peel. It is a tried and true remedy.

This is a great product to have in your skin "first aid kit." I don't think of it as an everyday product since I only use it once in a while when I go overboard on the exfoliation. For example, I just made a huge mistake with an lactic acid exfoliant that is supposed to be a spot treatment and used it all over my face. Disaster. My skin stretched tight like it does when you get a dermatologist extreme peel. I have been trying to keep it covered in jojoba oil so it doesn't crack but then I remembered Cicalfate. Instant relief. The zinc in the product prevents infection and soothes the inflammation. It is priced reasonably. I used to try and use it on acne but never had any success, much like the other reviewers. However, the product materials don't say to use it for acne. Good, solid product that is priced reasonably (bought it at skinstore with 20% off so around $13).

on 2/19/2012 12:58:00 PM

This product is really good. Afer my last session with Fraxel laser, my skin was red and very dry and this cream managed to reduce the redness and hydrate my skin. The cream is white and greasy, but after an hour it is completely absorbed into the skin. The price in Europe is really good, I paid about 12$ for it. Again, I love this products, it is very efficient, it can also work as a moisturizer. I highly recommend it.

on 2/15/2012 10:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have combination skin that tends to break out if I look at it too long in a mirror. Recently - I started to get hormonal acne constantly and I needed to up the ante in my regime by adding in glycolic acid but it was leaving my skin SO unhappy - I was certain there was no hope.

Enter Cicalfate.

I use it as my everything cream now. I follow my treatment with it and my face feels calm and looks great. I get compliments from co-workers about the texture of my skin.

It also helps with the chapped skin on my hands.

on 1/25/2012 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Great cream for those times I get stupid and try out new products that end up not agreeing with my very sensitive skin. Helps calm soreness reactions quickly, within a few hours usually, and heals rashes and bumps usually within a few days. Does not dry me out like the typical zinc oxide "ointments" (diaper creams) do. If you are sensitive this cream should be a staple at your house and I carry a tube in my handbag every day. ;-)

on 1/20/2012 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Ah, I love this stuff. It took me a while to track down, but it was worth it. It works excellently at healing scabs, sunburns, insect bites, dry cuticles, you name it! It has a very rich, creamy texture and I love how cool and soothing it feels upon application. Unfortunately I broke out after using it as an all-over moisturiser, but since I didn't buy it for that purpose I can't complain. Will keep repurchasing as long as I can find it!

on 10/13/2011 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this after reading many rave reviews on the French equivalent of Makeupalley, where it has won awards for a couple years, as a calming, healing treatment. It cost me something like 9 euros at a pharmacy.

I originally bought Cicalfate to try as an overnight acne treatment (many french reviews reporting this... didn't work for me) at the same time I got Avene's Tolerance extreme day cream to which I promptly had an allergic reaction.
I tentatively tried putting some Cicalfate on the irritation and was very pleased to find it soothed it to the point the rash dissappeared! I was actually surprised at this point, because until now, whenever I applied something to irritated skin it either did nothing at all or it just got worse.

So now, I have been using this as a day cream and around my eyes at night. It's got a really rich, creamy texture which I find extremely soothing. I find it gives a nice glow to my fairly dry skin. Actually I find it tends to soothe the minor irritations I always have in a way that my skin tone appears more even and less blotchy. It doesn't seem to cause any new spots or clog my pores, but I don't find it helps fade existing spots faster.
I also like that it is antibacterial (and therefore probably helpful in fighting acne) without irritating or drying my skin at all.
Overall, a good purchase.

on 7/25/2011 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Skin Status While Using Product: Starts out dry from using benzoyl peroxide gel at night but becomes oily throughout the day. Dry patches of skin causes discomfort and makes foundation look cakey if not applied carefully.

I bought this product online, thinking it was the "Cream for Intolerant Skin." When it arrived, I was disappointed to say the least; however, because I knew it would be another week before the right product arrived (I immediately went back online and ordered the right thing), I decided to give it a go.
I am *so* glad that I did. At first, I thought that the heavy, white cream would clog my sensitive and acne-prone skin and doubted I would use it again after I proved my initial skepticism and woke up with new breakouts. Lo and behold, the very next day my face felt...comfortable in weeks. To top it off, my face had no new breakouts. For every night until my package arrived, I used this - hesitantly, because I didn't know if it was just luck that prevented those pesky zits from forming - to relieve the uncomfortable, excessively dry feeling benzoyl peroxide leaves. Fortunately for me, it never broke me out.

Now, on to the regrettable side of the story...this stuff is on the heavy side. One would think that because it was so thick, it would get rid of those pesky flakes on the skin...but I'm afraid that it did not. As I have mentioned, it made my tight skin feel comfortable and manageable but I still had dry spots. That is the only reason why I took of one star/lipstick. So, for those readers who have oily, sensitive skin without any type of dryness, this will be a good product to use at night so you can wake up with a refreshed and soft skin in the morning. Those with dry skin may have to pair this with another product to completely alleviate the flaky skin. Overall, this is a great product for those who are using products that cause redness/discomfort/itchiness and want to feel some respite.

On a side note, the "Cream for Intolerant Skin" ended up breaking me out even though it was far lighter in consistency. It also did not feel very good on the skin; it felt tingly and a burned a bit. I would definitely repurchase the "Cicalfate" cream. :)