October 20, 2014 | 1902 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by pmcmullen100

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried a 5% solution of Whole Foods Vitamin C powder in distilled water for a few weeks, but had to stop because it made me break out. (There's no doubt this was the cause - my skin only broke out in the two places I used the serum.) Another reviewer here had the same problem, and it seems that this just doesn't agree with some skin types.

I'll cut back to using it for only 15 minutes (down from 30), and only once a week, and see if that makes a difference.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2013 2:41:00 PM More reviews by LaceyH

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've only been using this for 5 days, so this is just an initial review that i'll be updating periodically.

Ingredients/Materials:
----------------------------
-- Heritage Rose Water & Glycerin (http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=151638/Rosewater-&-Glycerin---Heritage-Brand/Unlisted-Brand/Moisturizers) Bought mine at Natural Grocers for about 8 USD for 4oz. Their Rose Water (minus the Glycerin) can be bought at Natural Grocers for ~5 USD for 8 oz.
-- Pure Vitamin C Powder (Ascorbic Acid) from Natural Grocers as well, 3.08 USD for .505 lbs CHEAP!
-- Plastic spoon for measuring out the powder and RW
-- Tinted Bottle (I used a blue tinted small spray bottle from walmart, was ~1 USD, and sprays a fine mist)

Recipe:
----------
1 tsp powder
4 tsp Rose Water & Glycerin
-- put both in bottle and shake well. DO NOT HEAT, as that can change the properties and effectiveness of the vitamin c. I shook for not even a minute and most of the powder was disolved. I left it to sit in a cool dry place and after a few hours the rest of the powder was completely disolved.

Directions:
--------------
I'm no expert, but from what I've read, this is what I've decided is best for me to do.
In the am I use Stridex pads (in the red box) and wait ~ 10-15 minutes. The I spray on the Vitamin C solution and gently rub it all over my face, neck, and arms.
In the pm I take a shower and wash with Dove bar soap for sensitive skin (it's unscented), use Alphy Hydrox Skin Lightening Cream with 10% Glycolic acid every other night, and then wait 10-15 minutes before applying the Vitamin C solution again, but to face only.

Results:
-----------
After 5 days of use:
As of the 2nd day I could already tell that my skin felt softer. I was suprised, as I already use an AHA and BHA and I thought that would have made my skin as soft and exfoliated as I could be. The forst few times I used this I made sure to wait a bit after washing my face. etc to apply it, and had only the VERY tiniest big of stinging right upon application, and then it went away. If I'm not wearing lip balm, etc this will sting my lips a lot, as they are always dry and somewhat peely. If I lick my lips I can taste the vitamin c, although it not particularly unplesant. One time I applied this immediately after washing my face in the shower, and it stung a LOT more than usual, to the extent that it made my face feel itchy. The feeling went away after maybe 10 minutes or so. I've noticed no dryness or peeling skin, and I haven't been moisturizing any more than usual. I had been thinking of using this after dermarolling, as then it would REALLY penetrate and do some good, but I think that would be far too uncomfortable and potentially irritating. The only negative I have so far is that the Glycerin makes the formula feel sticky. For that reason I'm going to try just plain Rosewater in the future, although I wonder if it will make the solution more drying, as I've heard that Glycerine is quite moisturizing. For the record, stickiness and all, this does well under my ss.

My Skin:
-----------
NC10ish, neutral undertones. Prone to freckling and acne. I live in TX so I sweat often and wear ss every time I go out. Normal/Combination. Recntly got rid of acne pigmentation, but still have the pitted scars. I dermaroll with a 1mm needle roller on a monthly basis.

UPDATES:

-----------------

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2013 9:29:00 PM More reviews by asunta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ive been using vitamic C crystals mixed with distilled water for the past 3 weeks. I cant tell you what the percentage is or whatever but I just mix half a teaspoon in a little spray bottle with distilled water , spray it on my face in the morning, Then after it drys put on my sunscreen and bb cream. and replace every day. All I can say is WOW! Honestly i look better without makeup now. Redness is dramatically reduced and the overall texture of my skin is way nicer and smoother. I get lazy some days but apparantly I found out that vitamic C stays in the skin for over 2 days so its not really necessary to use this everyday.

edit: july 2013, still using every other day and still loving the results

edit August 2013 I added a few drops of glycerin and rosewater (pharmacy brand) and I like how smooth this goes on. I called the company to make sure it was vegetable glycerin

One thing I need to add is that this will stain your clothes!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2013 4:48:00 PM More reviews by liz69

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I stumbled across a vitamin c recipe while looking on the beautysnug skincare forum. It was simply vitamin c and distilled water... well simple equals effective! - at least for me.
Its cleared my skin up and brightened my complexion. I dont leave it on all night, but wash it off after half an hour, This way the vitamin c has time to absorb.
A great little recipe!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2013 2:10:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

How much more natural, economical, fresh and long-term goodness can you do for your skin than a homemade Vitamin C Serum? Since 1999, I've been using a homemade Vitamin C preparation. Back then, it was considered a tad outlandish and something that not many people did at all. No one talked about the benefits of Vitamin C for their skin, much less would they go to a health food store and make homemade preparations and spend time on themselves. Research for homemade skin preparations were difficult to find.
Years ago, I used pure Vitamin C liquid. Now, I can't find it anymore. If any MUA ladies know where it can be found, kindly shoot me a message, please. This review will be for the crystals, because lately, that's all I can find. The liquid was the absolute best. You had to be very careful in how much you used, because using too much could be detrimental to your skin, and it had to be facial quality, also.
Vitamin C has so many properties it's amazing. It boosts collagen production, exfoliates, increases skin firmness, lightens hyperpigmentation, the list goes on and on.
Vitamin C Serums on the market are much more expensive but if you make your own, the cost is substantially reduced. The added benefit is absolute freshness. All you need are the crystals/powder, water, glycerin, and moisturizer. It's your choice if you'd like to make a toner, a serum or a moisturizer with Vitamiin C. You can also make a mask with Vitamin C. One of my favorites masks is to crush the crystals with a teaspoon of yogurt and spread it on my face. I've used plain yogurt and even strawberry yogurt. You can crush the crystals with a mortar and pestle if you'd like to make them into a powder consistency. The reason I've used strawberry yogurt is because strawberries contain salicylic acid which helps to remove impurities and dead skin cells. Whatever you do, always use 1/4 teaspoon of Vitamin C along with the other additive. If you like a toner, just use water. If you like a serum, use glycerin and water. If you would like to just add some to your moisturizer, do that. The choice is yours. But most importantly, make it fresh daily. If you find that your skin is becoming too reddened, then back off and reduce your Vitamin C applications to 3 times weekly. You'll know if you're doing too much by how your skin is reacting. I found this list of percentages for those that have never used Vitamin C. Start with 5% and then go up to 20% gradually. Your skin will love you for it.
The following are guidelines for mixing your own bases.

5% Serum-1/4 tsp Powder-4 & 3/4 tsp base
10% Serum-1/4 tsp Powder-21/4 tsp base
15% Serum-3/8 tsp Powder-2 1/8 tsp base
20% Serum-1/4 tsp Powder-1 tsp base

You can use a mix of water and glycerin , moisturizer, yogurt, etc. for the base. Always start with the 5% to see how your skin reacts, use that strength for a week or so, if your skin is reacting well, go to the next strength. At 20%, you're at the highest.
I recently stopped into my local Sephora and one of the SA's asked what I'm using now. I told her what line I'm gravitating towards and we talked about it, but she told me my skin was definitely brighter and looked terrific. She said my skin had such a brightness to it, the kind that when someone has such good news, etc. that they're glowing. I finally broke down and told her I've been doing a lot of home-made recipes. She became very interested and wanted to know exactly what I was using. I told her about the Vitamin C. She asked how did I use it and where did I get it. I also told her about my shea butter/oil concoctions. She asked me to bring her in a container so she could try some. Now that was a huge compliment to me. I swear by natural products, too. They must be making a difference if my Sephora SA asked me for a sample of what I'm using...(smile). Now that's turning the tables!
Now that summer is nearing, I've been using real strawberries for my mask, btw. I crush a small strawberry, mix it with the appropriate Vitamin C and apply it to my face and neck, leaving it on for 30 minutes or so. I rinse well with tepid water and my skin is unbelievably hydrated and smooth. Inexpensive but one of the best masks I've ever created.
I don't pre-mix my Vitamin C serums ahead of time, but always make them fresh. It only takes a few minutes of my time. But if you do want to make a few days worth, make sure you put it into a dark or opaque container that won't see the light of day so the mixture doesn't break down.
I've increased the amount of Vitamin C for my own personal usage but you must be able to decide for yourself what your skin is able to handle. My daughter recently commented to me that my complexion looked brighter to her when I asked her about the color of my foundation. I'd say you know it's working when those around you comment about your skin. Take the time to invest in yourself, because it's you're well worth it. And the price can't be beat.

89 out of 91 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/11/2013 1:33:00 PM More reviews by finzi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

***EDIT***

My original review (written after using the product for two months) is below the dash line.

After using this for several months, my skin started to become slightly irritated, red and tight. After a process of elimination I realised it was the C serum. I tried using a lower concentration but still wasn't happy, so I investigated other options. I'm now using C Boost by 302 Skincare and am much happier.

Previously, I was surprised by people reporting irritation caused by homemade C serums, but now of course I'm one of them! I think the problem was the form of C (in this case, L-Ascorbic acid). The C Boost uses a different form of vitamin C and appears to be working much better for me. I've been using it for a month and when I've been using it a little longer I'll write a separate review.

---------------------

I can only reiterate the high praise heaped by other reviewers upon this simple little wonder! It evens my skin tone, makes my skin radiant and fresh, and I wouldn't be without it. I make up a 5% solution with water and sometimes some chamomile water (this is available from lots of aromatherapy stockists). I mix half a teaspoon C powder with 10 teaspoons liquid (I use 5 tsps water and 5 tsps chamomile water).

In response to the unfortunate reviewers who have had problems with dryness and irritation, I have two pieces of advice. First of all, a 5% solution is quite sufficient if you are unable to tolerate anything higher. Second, vitamin C is said to stay in the skin for two to three days, so you need only apply every two to three days. If I applied my C serum every day I expect my skin would go berserk!

A homemade C serum is the cheapest and most effective way to give your skin a gentle boost. I use it in conjunction with my vitamin A cream (I use one made by Environ, but there are lots of options) and my skin has never looked better.

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by dc1407

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought some Vitamin C powder to mix with glycerin to use as a night serum. It made my skin feel amazingly soft, but the glycerin made my face too dewy.

I now mix Vitamin C powder + water, popped into a spray bottle and use as a toner after cleansing... and it makes the world of difference. Have been complimented on my glowing skin so often!

Best to make small batches often as opposed to making a large batch because it works better when it's fresh and it doesn't keep very well (I store it in the fridge to be on the safe side).

If you've never made your own beauty products, you must try! I've been making a lot of them because I'm trying to use more natural/organic products and I find that homemade ones definitely work the best as they're not laden with preservatives, they're cheaper than buying ready-made and usually the products can be found in your kitchen.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2013 11:26:00 PM More reviews by Amie99

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had a terrible skin infection last year that left some bad scars on my arms and face. I tried everything to make them better, but nothing seemed to work. My skin on my arms started looking like lizard skin. I was desperate, so I read that vitamin C serum was really good at removing scars and discoloration, so I looked for a homemade recipe and VOILA! I used the 10% solution with plain distilled water, because any kind of glycerin or oil breaks my skin out, even at my age. I put it on my arms and face with a cotton swab, but it didn't seem to do anything for my arms at all. I then read about a "mask" which only used a tablespoon of the Vit C powder and 1/2 tbsp of water, so did that, but it wouldn't dissolve. I put it on my arms, then put some coconut oil on and used it like a scrub. I then let it sit on my arms for about 45 minutes and rinsed it off. You wouldn't believe how smooth my arms are. It's not the coconut oil because I use that every day and my arms are still rough. I'm going to continue to use the 10% toner mixture on my face, although I may mix it with witch hazel instead of just water. I'll do the "mask" scrub on my arms every night and see what happens. I'm going to try to leave it on my arms for an hour at least.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2013 1:21:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

LOVE LOVE an easy DIY that is really inexpensive and performs as well as the much more expensive products out there! About me: mid 40s w/ combo skin (slightly oiler t-zone, slightly drier cheeks) w/ slight subtype I rosacea (blushing) on cheeks, nose, chin, not really prone to breakouts unless TTOTM.

I read in awe and with a slight sense of envy all those reviews and articles out there about DIY products - most of the time, I don't have the patience to delve into this process. BUT, this one totally intrigued me (even though at first it intimidated me because there are so many variations out there.) After wading thru many many reviews and postings + getting some very helpful info from the SKB, I finally figured out the simplest and what I feel to be most effective formula for me.

I purchased a bottle of the Vitamin C powder from Whole Foods, an 8 oz dark brown bottle w/ screw top (the 4 oz was sold out) some basic KY jelly (the one in the blue tube w/ only a few ingredients). I purchased a roll of PH papers from Amazon (for cheap). I already had a brown dropper bottle from MUAC that I cleaned out + I already had Thayers Rose Toner.

I started out at 10% concentration and applied every a.m. After a few weeks, I upped it to 20% and ph continues to hover at 3 or less. My recipe: 3 tsp toner; 1 tsp KY; 1 tsp vitamin C.

I put in a couple of days worth into my brown dropper bottle that I keep w/ the rest of my skincare stuff under my sink. The rest I store in my bigger brown bottle in the fridge and refill to my dropper bottle as needed.

No skin irritation, no breakouts, starting to see a reduction in my melasma spots, am spending WAY less $$, easy to make = what's not to love? :)

24 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2013 8:07:00 PM More reviews by sk_london2003

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Regular use of this homemade vitamin C serum at night, plus Argan oil as a facial moisturizer during the day and the Indian Aztec clay mask once a week has changed the texture and tone of my skin in as little as 2 months.

My skin feels like it can 'breath' and all the congestion and old pigmentation marks are almost gone.. I have a glow and for the first time in 7 years left the house without a stitch of foundation... this serum is a serious miracle and so cheap.. this is a product the big skincare giants do not want you to know about!

Spread the word ladies!!

There are plenty of recipes online, I just use vitamin C powder and Glycerin with water, and store in a brown glass bottle with a dropper.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No