April 17, 2014 | 1902 users online

Mascara - Max Factor - Masterpiece Mascara

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2010 8:23:00 AM More reviews by lingxi27

a reliable everyday mascara, adds subtle definition and length to my lashes, (not much volume). I've noticed some slight flaking, but I always brush out my lashes after I've applied mascara anyway so that's alright. Cute gold tube packaging, yellow synthetic brush, I got this one on sale (AUD$10.95), and I really prefer masterpiece max.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2009 12:40:00 PM More reviews by ibrusat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is an OK mascara, but it does not have the wow factor for me. I much prefer l'Oreal Voluminous (which is even cheaper!).

It does not add great volume and does not make my lashes look as long as the Voluminous.

It does not clump or smudge and, unlike Voluminous, it is easy to remove at the end of the day. It is far better than pricey mascaras (the likes of Clinique, Chanel and Estee Lauder) but in my opinion it is not the best "cheap" mascara on the market.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2009 4:53:00 PM More reviews by yuki705

I got this mascara for free with a purchase. Normally I wouldn't buy Max Factor because they have pricey products, but after using this I might reconsider. After applying the product I clearly noticed a lenghtening of my lashes and a clear definition. Bad side is that I noticed a tad bit of clumping after applying this. Volume isn't great either, but I would use a second coat of mascara that volumizes my lashes. Overall, I like this product. Would definitely recommend if you are looking for a defining mascara.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2009 10:49:00 AM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I used to happily spend an appalling amount on Diorshow mascara in the belief that weighing down my lashes with a lumpy formula was the way to achieve that false lash effect. Now Iím older and somewhat wiser I know that good false lashes look natural, so the length and separation you get from your mascara is more important for getting a natural and neater looking Ďfalsieí look.

One coat of Max Factor MASTERPIECE mascara is all I need for that day-to-day beautifully separated evenly coated, non-clumpy lash. Because of the perfect separation my lashes look thicker as well as being noticeably longer. When I want more of a va va vroom false eyelash look I use two coats.

The magic is in the wand. Admittedly, when I first opened my tube of MASTERPIECE I was very disappointed; the brush is composed of short rubber bristles, which didnít look long enough to evenly distribute the mascara without causing major clumpage. I was wrong. The brush grabs and coats every lash, even those little stragglers in the outer corners of the eye, fanning the lashes out. I've had no problem with flaking or smudging, and the formula is easy to remove at the end of the day.

The Volume I get with two coats is as good as Diorshow, the length is better than Telescopic Precision and the rich black colour stands up against Liner Efect. MASTERPIECE in the top 5 mascaras Iíve ever used.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/1/2009 5:56:00 PM More reviews by aguadora

Kind of "eh". Spiky bristles of the brush poke me a lot. Formula flattens the curl of my lashes, even when I heat up my curler with a blowdryer. Will find someone to give this away to. It's a shame, I kinda liked the gold tube, it felt glam. Not too sad about it though because I got this in a promo with Masterpiece MAX (a.k.a. Volume Couture) which gave me the oomph I was looking for, but smudges. Back to 2000 Calorie for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/1/2009 6:48:00 AM More reviews by holidaylover

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

quite a disappointment really. =(
despite not clumping and giving me a wonderful natural look, 7 hours later i found a black smudge under my eyes!
the price is good and the mascara (waterproof) lengthens nicely and holds my curl so why oh why does it smudge??
i'm going to give it another shot though so hopefully....

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2009 8:56:00 AM More reviews by Xandrra

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A truly false lash effect, while it does not volumise, it looks incredibly natural. The brush might look disappointing, but lets not judge a book by its cover, i actually went and and cleaned a wand from my old favourite lengthening mascara (be warned! This might take quite some time and even more time cleaning off the cleaned off mascara off other surfaces!) but it didn't even stand close. The bristles might look short, but really its just because they're packed with the mascara. It helps them deliver maximum impact.
A definite buy again :D

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2009 8:36:00 AM More reviews by aeresu

Bought this in rich black. It does make my lashes look longer and thicker without too much clumping. It doesn't smear very much which is great. It does, however, take the curl out of my lashes so I had to deduct points for that. I would buy this again though, if I cannot find anything better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2009 7:42:00 PM More reviews by bellaspots

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's so ooh la la, do let's keep quiet before too many newbies catch on....

Masterpiece mascara, what's to criticise? It's a beast. If my praise seems too forthcoming, trust me, I have reason. So onto specifics....

The price? Very purse-friendly (£8 UK), check. Formula? Not too clumpy despite regular pumping action, a definite check. Range? The standard, plus a waterproof version. Colours? Basic, because who'd even want hot pink mascara? So check. And for the big question, the finish? Well, it coats evenly, thickens just enough, lengthens shamelessly, and separates like a dream, oh, a capital check. Lastly, packaging? Who cares? (See above checks)
Erm, yeah, that's about it. Criminally good, all that for a price we can all afford, what a rarity, gold dust stuff, really.

I hear you, but no, there's nothing more on offer. So don't expect any funny business. No promises of lash-conditioning, a curling formula (hence curlers recommended), or proteins to stimulate growth, just fluttery, fuller lashes for the lash-compromised like me. Removal is as simple as application too, always an important factor, but the waterproof version will require an industrial-strength remover.

If you've dumped a shameful number of cheap buys in disgust in the past (oh, what lady hasn't?), and held onto high-end mistakes in shameful regret, I think you'll understand just how amazing finding that magical one mascara will be, that will work hard for you for years and years like your favourite Tee. Boring but true.

Let's pray, oh do let's pray that the designer houses don't push Masterpiece off the radar with their fancy formulas that mightn't work or high-tech wand innovations, because I, like many of you I suspect, simply needs something non-faddy that works. Simply what could be worse though? It's be like a thunderclap, world's ending moment. For if mascara is your ultimate feel-good, desert-island and 'face the world' weapon, it'd be a life without morning caffeine, or Cadbury's chocolate. Oh perish the thought!

For lazy beauties who just can't get their fingers around fiddly false lashes, or that shy away from lash-dyes and shudder at lash-implants, or have zilch faith in lash-growth formulas such as Lash Food and one-a-day pills, this is the business: traditional lash makeup for everyday wear, even one to carry you breezily into evening because it's a subtle, natural look that's definitely not drag-queen territory. Compliments guaranteed, men will be charmed, women will wonder, 'tis really like that secret you really won't share despite how delighted that you've finally found it, the one....

But also, one big fat Boo! to advertisements that now so often trick and charm using falsies as lash inserts, but at least with Masterpiece, those spiky lashes are in one word: achievable, with just a lightening flick of the wand. Three seconds required, crazy huh? No lies, no false promises, no false hopes, now how masterful is that?

Oh, and as for the new Masterpiece Max version. Leave it, the difference is no more 'max-ed out' lashes. This is the original and the best.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2009 12:05:00 PM More reviews by DidgeridooYourNails

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I always try out new products just out of curiosity, but I have found myself returning to this mascara again and again. This really is my "go to" mascara since it does a wonderfull job of both lengthening and volumizing my lashes. It is totally wearable during the day, and dramatic enough for a night out. The wand is just the right size to get right into the roots of your lashes without smudging on the lid. Apply a couple of coats in the morning and you will not have to re-apply it after that. Go ahead and buy this.