December 19, 2014 | 1614 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Milk of Magnesia as Primer

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2011 2:46:00 PM More reviews by naturalk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I apply this with my finger to my t zone & sometimes to my eyelids. It is a great oil control product. It can be used by itself or under makeup. Make sure you check back in the mirror after it dries because it does leave streaky white residue. Just put a dab of water on your finger and blend it out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2011 6:46:00 PM More reviews by michellerodgerscts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for over a week everyday and I think I love it. I have very oily and sensitive skin and primers usually break me out. I think this product works just as good if not better than our typical name brand primer, and because it is meant to be injested it is super safe on your skin. I have not had one break out with this, and I have even fallen asleep on more than one occasion with makeup on my skin, I think I am less likely to breakout because my pores are smaller and more closed with this on my skin.

I usually wear makeup everyday, and if I do not make makeup on I wear shea butter alone so I can never imagine wearing just this to "calm down" my skin, I am so an NC45/50 so I think this may make me a little ashy when used for that purpose but it will work beautifully for lighter skins. Also, I am pretty adament about using shea butter as a night time cream however, I think this would also be amazing as a night time treatment to keep the oilies at bay in the morning.

When I use it, I usually do my normal morning face routine in the shower, apply a moisturizer...let it sit for a few minutes...then apply this with a stippling brush all over my face...the application is easy because i put this is a much smaller bottle, the remainder I put in the refridgerator because MoM will keep FOREVER if refridgerated. After it is all soaked in to my skin (however long it takes me to brush my teeth) I apply my foundation (either MAC F&B, or MAC Select Moisture Tint), bronzer, mascara, or whatever else I decide to wear that day. My skin stays matte and/or fresh (almost dewy but not quite there) ALL DAY! I only apply makeup once a day, maybe twice if I plan on going out after work...so I will use a napkin to blot off the oilies...usually by the time I get home (especially on a warm day) by foundation looks like it has been on ALLL day...with this...it looks freshly applied, my pores are still invisable. I think this product makes my makeup last longer because my skin is more balanced...makeup usually only comes off if it is rubbed off, sweated off, washed off, or "oiled" off...so with this product my makeup is able to last much much longer.

again, I have sensitive skin, and i have not found that this breaks me out or upsets my skin in anyway...however, based on looking at other peoples reviews who state that it does dry their skin out...i make sure that i wash this off my face every night (well almost every night), and exfoliate a few times a week in the shower, always use a moisturizer, and use shea butter whenever i do not have makeup on my skin.

I think I will be using this the rest of my life...I am throwing all of my other mattifying products away...they never work and they cost wayyyy too much money. let me know if you have any questions!!!!

UPDATE: I still love it...I basically use it everyday. Yes, I do think its a good idea to exolofate more often because this does completely close up pores....but other than that...I truly love it...I think its an amazing product and I will use again again and again. I went into Sephora yesterday and this woman who worked there asked my why my skin looked so amazing and asked me what primer I used, and when I told her she was shocked...bc she used smashbox, and YSL or something like that and she said she STILL got oily.....this is def my HG and if you have extremely oily skin, this could truly save your life...my ONLY complaint...is that you need to make sure you add a SUPER SUPER light layer if you plan on taking pics bc it can give you the "SPF face" even though there is no SPF in this.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/13/2011 4:32:00 PM More reviews by alovelyjessture

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ohhhhh milk of magnesia... where to start. First off, don't use this everyday. You hear a lot of times that this stuff is used on brides for their wedding day as a neat trick to keep their makeup on all day and keep them shine free. But a wedding day only happens once (usually). I tried using this stuff as a primer for a week, and my facial skin was so upset and shiny (yes... shiny) and dull (my skin almost looked greyish) and messed up that I put it under my cabinet and haven't used it since. It soaks up oil and keeps you looking matte fresh all day, but only if used sparingly, like say once a week. The alkaline ph balance will very much disrupt your skin if used too often. However the price is great, the packaging is huge and will last forever, but this product should not be used as an everyday primer.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2011 3:16:00 AM More reviews by ayoitsanna

i have terribly oily skin within 30 minutes of putting my makeup on, so based on makeup alley reviews on MOM i decided to buy a bottle. i went to CVS, but they ran out of the Phillips version, so i went ahead and bought the CVS version. that night i gave it a shot and put it on my face, as a mask. WORKS WONDERS... i had tiny bumps on my forehead, and it vanished. but as a primer, it didn't do so much magic ): i was so upset. i guess nothing works for my oily face.
UPDATE: i tried this two weeks after, i used to use this with my sponge, but i tried with my fingers instead. it works better with my fingers. and it did a good job decreasing the shine on my face, i only used one blotting sheet. [:

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2011 10:56:00 AM More reviews by peanutbuttrlove

I love this stuff! The trick is to apply a small amount let it completely dry and then apply monistat anti chafing gel right on top. My super oily t zone is no longer an oily mess! Ive tried just about everything to control oil and this thankfully has finally worked!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2011 10:21:00 PM More reviews by geminiles6

I have to say the din't work for me

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2011 9:42:00 PM More reviews by arosica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this! I don't just put it on my face like others, I put about 1/2 a teaspoon in the palm of my hand, mix it with a pea size amount of the Monistat anti chafe gel, and spread it out on my face. It is an awesome makeup primer and doesn't leave the dryness/chalkiness that the milk of magnesia does alone.

What I really love Milk of Magnesia for is an eye shadow primer!!!!!!!!!!! I take a qtip, dip it in the bottle, rub on my eyelid. I then use my fingertip to spread out the milk of magnesia, dab it in, and let it dry. My eyeshadow blends well, stays in place ALL DAY, and never creases at all! Perfection!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2011 4:52:00 AM More reviews by THLuver33

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Okay I have really super oily skin and this helps to control oil! I have never tried any other foundation primer before so maybe my review is a little biased. But why change a good thing, right? Yes, at least when it comes to this. I bought the gerneric brand (Top Care) and not the Phillips so I am not for sure if it makes a difference or not. I apply this product with a wet cosmetic sponge and apply a thick layer to my face (b/c skin is so so oily) then I stipple it into the skin. After it dries it does leave some white streaking. But I just buff it away with my kabuki brush. So its no big problem. But I will never apply my makeup ever again without this product. The day before yesterday I was away from home and didn't have it with me and had to apply my makeup without and I got oily within half an hour. But yesterday I applied my makeup with this and my makeup stayed on all day. And I must add that yesterday I spent most of the day outside in the 97 degree heat and my makeup do not crease or get oily. Well of course I sweated haha. But my makeup stayed. If the Milk of Magnesia can do this it is truely an amazing product. This is a must have in my makeup application and I will continue to repurchase this product! My HG foundation primer!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/16/2011 3:36:00 PM More reviews by summersblush

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have oily but dehydrated skin. Usually my makeup seems to slide off my face a few hours into the night and my t-zone is always shiny in pictures. After hearing about MoM's oil controlling abilities, I gave it a try. The first time I used it, my face was in matte heaven. I went through a whole night of dancing without a single sheet of blotting paper! I thought I had found the answer to my oilies. However, it seemed every subsequent use of this my face stayed matte for less time.

I've tried not moisturizing before MoM, moisturinzing then using a primer before MoM, and only using a primer before MoM. All to no avail. My face was not terribly oily when I had this on, but I wasn't able to experience the same result as that first time. Also, my face was becoming really dry. Whenever I applied my foundation after MoM, I was able to see patches of dry spots on my skin. Despite this, I am not totally turned off by this product, maybe I'll try it again in the future.

How I use MoM:
After washing face, I use a toner. Remember to shake the bottle of MoM VERY well then use a cotton ball or finger tips to spread a thin layer of MoM on face. Let dry for 2-3 minutes and apply foundation/ makeup.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/4/2011 12:04:00 PM More reviews by bbarry75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

didn't work for me at all.