July 28, 2014 | 1705 users online

Mascara - Almay - One Coat Nourishing Mascara Triple Effect

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2010 9:09:00 PM More reviews by xDOLLFACEx

PROS:
-Creamy formula
-Dark black color
-Lengthens

CONS:
-Clumpy
-Lashes really stick together
-Dries quick so its hard to build up layers
-Hard to remove
-A lot of product comes out on the wand and gets the opening really messy

rated 1 of 5 on 7/16/2010 7:29:00 PM More reviews by chienblanc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I could NOT make this work for me at all! I've tried a lot of mascaras and this was one of the worst ones I've ever tried. I did give this many chances, maybe I was doing something wrong?

I've never gotten such clumpy, flakey, messy lashes from a mascara before. It seems to have gotten so many good reviews that I wonder if I got a bad batch. Really wanted this to work for me because it would have been great for travel....one mascara that lengthens AND thickens!

The brush design was a great idea, but poorly executed. Bare Escentuals' Big Tease mascara has a similar brush and that one never clumps. I think the "stopper" at the top of the tube needs to be smaller in diameter to control the amount of product coming out. I don't know how they expect the brush to come out all gunked up with product and still work well.

Very disappointed in this one.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2010 7:15:00 PM More reviews by MackMimiMommy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is the best mascara I've used. I got the brown color and it is very good. The best application comes after I comb through my lashes with a old, clean mascara wand and then apply my mascara.

Pros:
Unique bristle brush-long on one side and short on the other-long bristles lengthen well, short add volume
Does not flake as the day wears on
Does not clump despite numerous coats
Removes easily with my cleanser
Good price
Available at numerous retailers

Cons:
Have to wipe excess from brush as it's withdrawn (wish it had a Bobbi Brown-style internal squeegee)
Can't stop applying coat after coat as you see new lashes appear and lengthen before your eyes
No brand prestige (I don't really care about this con)

Update: This mascara is very good for about 2 weeks after use. Then, as it dries, it becomes less workable. It clumps more. Check out Lash Blast from CG (even if it is gaudy packaging).

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2010 12:18:00 PM More reviews by ejh23

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Just your basic mascara. Does a normal job at lengthening lashes and all. I use this on a daily basis. Doesn't irratate my sensitive eyes at all!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2010 2:21:00 PM More reviews by CocaNicola

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this mascara! I have tried all the expensive ones- Dior, YSL, Givenchy, etc- but this is my favorite out of all of them! The color I use is blackest black and that is exactly what it is. No other mascara makes my lashes sooo black...I love it! It is also a very wet textured mascara, so if there ever is a clump i can pinch it off easily b/c my lashes are still wet, never crunchy or flaky. I love using it to define my lower lashes as well. Overall, best mascara out there.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2010 7:23:00 PM More reviews by OhsnappitsEm

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my holy grail mascara! Before purchasing any beatuy products I like to read reviews and at first I was a little hesitant getting this. It really does work in my opinon it gives my lashes length volume and also conditions them at the same time with aloe and vitamin B5, I also really like that Almay does not test on animals. The brush is very unique its a flat two sided brush it has longer bristles on one side for lengthining and the other side has shorter bristles for volume it leaves your lashes feeling really soft ,not cruncy like regular mascaras. At first it takes some time getting used to but at times its very awkward to use to get into those inner corners and bottom lashes.After using this mascara for a month I noticed that without any makeup my lashes starting growing and became longer. It may dry out a little fast though or maybe it was because I would wipe the wand on the side of the tube to get rid off excess mascara.But anyways I use this everyday and would reconmend it to anyone!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2010 10:52:00 PM More reviews by rtauschke2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Meh, this performs well below average for me. The short stumpy wand comes out clumped in product which invariably ends up clumped on my lashes. It has a tendency to smear, I often find black smears near my eyes where unbenknownst to me the darn stuff has somehow ended up on my face sometime between applying and driving to work. It doesnt hold a curl at all. While yes I like the fact it doesnt dry all crunchy, I think that's part of the reason it doesnt hold the curl and volume. Steer clear I say.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2010 2:38:00 PM More reviews by OhsnapitsEm

rated 1 of 5 on 5/31/2010 11:19:00 PM More reviews by Faerilyn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I had hoped this would have worked out but I absolutely hate this mascara!!! Believe me when I say I tried to like this so badly because Almay has been called the Clinique of drugstores. There's a HUGE problem with product migration.The "Triple Effect" part of the name of this mascara should refer to how it CLUMPS, SMUDGES, AND FLAKES like nothing else I ever used on my lashes... except for maybe Maybelline Great Lash(yeah I just dissed the #1 best seller). I gave up and tossed it after a month because by then the product has dried up.

Let's start from the outside, working in.

Packaging: So much mascara collects around the mouth of tube that eventually there's a huge ring there. You can see it even with the tube screwed back together. Sure, I can wipe that clean with a tissue or something but I've never had to do it as many times with another mascara. It was a mess and a waste of time. Also, no biggie but : all the letters on the tube wore off after 2 weeks in my purse.

Wand: I like the "idea" behind it though the process takes so getting use to and can be time-consuming. In theory, you can volumize with the short side and lengthen/curl with the longer side. but that doesn't happen because every single time you take the wand out of the tube, a whole lot of product is on the wand, especially the tip. I always ended up with more mascara on my tissue than my lashes(and that's alot). It's a bad execution of a good idea.

Formula: I've tried to use it in combination with all kinds of prep work(concealers, foundations, powders, primers) around the eyes and it always FAILED. Due to the gunky formula, it took some practice to get the product on evenly. Forget about doing a second coat because it does not layer smoothly. The nice curl I did on my lashes before application was completely straightened out. xD So there went my length too. As for the thickening part... yes my lashes did look more volumnous BUT it was so uneven that I had to comb it to try to rectify the situation. It felt so heavy on my lashes that I was always concious of it(even with only one coat on)! Another thing I was always concious of was the migration of this mascara. OMG I noticed it gave me racoon eyes an hour after I put it on!! This mascara must love to hang out right under my eye because it happened EVERY time. And it wasn't just flakes, it was streaks of mascara right there... The flakes was busy swimming around on my eye. NOT attractive. Futhermore, while the formula is hypoallergenic, I can imagine flakes in your eyes can lead to irratation/infection. ; ;

Cons a plenty and there really were no pros for me except I got an eyeliner free with it. I'll review that one later since I have other eyeliners I'm currently using. I WILL NOT repurchase this mascara again! This #1 on my list of "Products I regret buying".

rated 1 of 5 on 5/24/2010 1:18:00 AM More reviews by vbabbyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I open this mascara to use it for the first time and I can't even see the damn wand because its covered and clumped in mascara. There were no bristles or anything!!! It was all gunk gunk gunk. USELESS