September 22, 2014 | 1884 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2014 12:37:00 AM More reviews by caramelwingz87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using this cleanser since I was in high school and now that I am 27 I have decided to stop.

I found that upon closer inspection of my skin after washing it, a white residue would be left on my skin from this product. I have also visited Acne.org because i suffer from acne and this product contains a couple of ingredients that can clog pores or break you out even though it is classified as 'non-comedogenic". When i look at my chin area I notice that it is full of white film that has been dried up even though I continually wash my face with water and a face towel.

Anyway, I no longer buy this stuff, I'm trying to find products that do not leave residue on your skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2014 2:44:00 AM More reviews by earthlyvixen024

I love this for removing my makeup in the evening as well as a wash. I have super sensitive skin and need to usually apply a generous amount, but I notice that my skin is much happier when I use it before bed. I stopped using it for a while and my skin just wasn't the same. I will definitely keep using it.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/19/2014 9:18:00 AM More reviews by alynn05

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

It's ok. But It's not my HG Cleanser. I prefer facial foams.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/16/2014 2:06:00 PM More reviews by Barbirivera

Don't you just HATE when you make an impulsive decision? That guilty feeling of "YouTube made me buy this and I'm not rich so I should probably stay away from it for awhile"? I stumbled upon a few reviews and stuff about Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and they were "OMG I love this product" so when I was at my local mall I stopped by the drugstore just to check if they had it. Surprise surprise! It's USD$32 the smaller bottle. I thought OK, so this must be good. I'll give a try. I should say I have combination skin, not too sensitive, gets drier during winter time and I have tendency to blackheads and a few pimples here and there. Nothing too tragic, I actually have decent, rather healthy skin so I don't ask for too much on a cleanser. This stuff does nothing for me. It's drying and makes my face feel tight (so this is how Botox feels like?) and doesn't even take make up off very thoroughly. I don't know what to do! Should I use the whole bottle because you know...I paid for it? Should I just buy something else? What was I thinking! It's full of chemicals! I wanted to say good things about you Cetaphil...I really did.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/14/2014 6:55:00 PM More reviews by maelyn28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have used this face wash for a while. It's an ok face wash. Nothing special. I don't think it really breaks down makeup or gets rid of oils too well. It is great for sensitive skin, not very powerful, just clean. Never caused me to break out. I've moved on to philosophy purity made simple, but would use this in a jam.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2014 10:59:00 PM More reviews by trinhcat

Best cleanser ever made! just amazing, leaves skin feeling fresh and clean!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2014 8:01:00 PM More reviews by reneecg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

i use this every day as a cleanser! it is gentle on my skin and i love the feel of it as i use it on my skin. softens skin!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/6/2014 1:50:00 PM More reviews by Sunegulf

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This just did not work for me. It left a film or residue on my skin that I had to clean off with my tried and true Ponds.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2014 5:04:00 AM More reviews by Nachobusiness

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my must have skin wash. It is very very very gentle which is great because I have super sensitive and dry skin. It leaves a very smoothed and refined feel after every wash which makes you feel like your skin is just getting better. It isn't too expensive, but it's definitely not cheap either. Great for people with eczema too (me).

rated 1 of 5 on 5/4/2014 3:01:00 PM More reviews by JimiLeighB

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I had heard a lot about Cetaphil gentle cleanser and thought I'd give it a try since my usual facial cleanser was rather low. Never again will I purchase this product or any product without researching it beforehand!

I used it (with water) the evening I bought it and moisturized with my usual night cream and got ready for bed. I woke up the next morning with my face feeling dry and scratchy. I didn't think too much of it since the weather has been a bit dry lately, so I continued with my morning routine and hopped in the shower. I used the Cetaphil cleanser again and applied my day time moisturizer. I was about to apply my makeup when I noticed my face felt dry and scratchy, again!
The only way I can accurately describe the sensation is like this: My face felt like paper.
Not just dry on the outside, but dry on the inside, like the skin on my face was completely dehydrated. My skin started to flake and peel, which is NOT normal for me since I use an AHA treatment with ceramides for exfoliation at night and a great hydrating lotion with SPF 50 during the day. I haven't had dry, patchy, flaky skin for about a year and a half until now!

I bought this cleanser because it is marketed as a gentle cleanser that is good for all skin types. I was NOT expecting it to do as much damage as it did! It honestly feels like the moisture barrier of my skin was stripped away along with all the moisture throughout. Upon further reading (and a good look at the ingredients list on the bottle) I learned that there is almost NOTHING beneficial to skin contained in this cleanser...

Ingredients: Water, cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearyl alcohol, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben.

Cetyl alcohol is used as an emollient, emulsifier of thickening agent. It's also used to make products opaque, most often in shampoos. Nothing beneficial for skin here...

Propylene glycol Is a stabilizer, emulsifier. Again, nothing beneficial for skin here either.

Sodium lauryl sulfate is used in many cleansers for it's ability to thicken and form a lather. Interestingly, it has also been shown to cause sensitivity to the face with prolonged or constant exposure, so you really want to rinse thoroughly after washing. Once again, nothing too beneficial for the skin...

Stearyl alcohol serves the same purpose as Cetyl alcohol, it is used as a thickener, emollient and emulsifier. Nothing beneficial for the skin.

Methylparaben is a natural paraben found primarily in blueberries and is an anti fungal agent. Studies indicate that methylparaben applied on the skin may react with UVB, leading to increased skin aging and DNA damage. While it does have anti- microbial properties, it could be just as harmful.

Propylparaben is naturally found in some plants and insects, but is synthetically produced for use in cosmetics. It is used as a preservative in many water based cosmetics such as creams, lotions, shampoos and bath products. Nothing beneficial for the skin here.

Butylparaben is another antimicrobial and antifungal agent and is also used as a preservative. Butylparaben has been shown to cross body barriers and enter the body through the skin epithelium. Another ingredient that is possibly beneficial, but it does enter your body through the skin.

I honestly have no idea why this is such a popular product... It contains very few beneficial active ingredients (only 2) and even then there are better options out there. If I could give this product a lower rating I would. Do yourself a favor and look for a better facial cleanser, even if this works well for you. It's composed primarily of fillers and preservatives... There are much better choices out there for the same cost and a little less.