August 28, 2014 | 1152 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2014 10:59:00 PM More reviews by trinhcat

Best cleanser ever made! just amazing, leaves skin feeling fresh and clean!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2014 8:01:00 PM More reviews by reneecg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

i use this every day as a cleanser! it is gentle on my skin and i love the feel of it as i use it on my skin. softens skin!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/6/2014 1:50:00 PM More reviews by Sunegulf

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This just did not work for me. It left a film or residue on my skin that I had to clean off with my tried and true Ponds.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2014 5:04:00 AM More reviews by Nachobusiness

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my must have skin wash. It is very very very gentle which is great because I have super sensitive and dry skin. It leaves a very smoothed and refined feel after every wash which makes you feel like your skin is just getting better. It isn't too expensive, but it's definitely not cheap either. Great for people with eczema too (me).

rated 1 of 5 on 5/4/2014 3:01:00 PM More reviews by JimiLeighB

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I had heard a lot about Cetaphil gentle cleanser and thought I'd give it a try since my usual facial cleanser was rather low. Never again will I purchase this product or any product without researching it beforehand!

I used it (with water) the evening I bought it and moisturized with my usual night cream and got ready for bed. I woke up the next morning with my face feeling dry and scratchy. I didn't think too much of it since the weather has been a bit dry lately, so I continued with my morning routine and hopped in the shower. I used the Cetaphil cleanser again and applied my day time moisturizer. I was about to apply my makeup when I noticed my face felt dry and scratchy, again!
The only way I can accurately describe the sensation is like this: My face felt like paper.
Not just dry on the outside, but dry on the inside, like the skin on my face was completely dehydrated. My skin started to flake and peel, which is NOT normal for me since I use an AHA treatment with ceramides for exfoliation at night and a great hydrating lotion with SPF 50 during the day. I haven't had dry, patchy, flaky skin for about a year and a half until now!

I bought this cleanser because it is marketed as a gentle cleanser that is good for all skin types. I was NOT expecting it to do as much damage as it did! It honestly feels like the moisture barrier of my skin was stripped away along with all the moisture throughout. Upon further reading (and a good look at the ingredients list on the bottle) I learned that there is almost NOTHING beneficial to skin contained in this cleanser...

Ingredients: Water, cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearyl alcohol, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben.

Cetyl alcohol is used as an emollient, emulsifier of thickening agent. It's also used to make products opaque, most often in shampoos. Nothing beneficial for skin here...

Propylene glycol Is a stabilizer, emulsifier. Again, nothing beneficial for skin here either.

Sodium lauryl sulfate is used in many cleansers for it's ability to thicken and form a lather. Interestingly, it has also been shown to cause sensitivity to the face with prolonged or constant exposure, so you really want to rinse thoroughly after washing. Once again, nothing too beneficial for the skin...

Stearyl alcohol serves the same purpose as Cetyl alcohol, it is used as a thickener, emollient and emulsifier. Nothing beneficial for the skin.

Methylparaben is a natural paraben found primarily in blueberries and is an anti fungal agent. Studies indicate that methylparaben applied on the skin may react with UVB, leading to increased skin aging and DNA damage. While it does have anti- microbial properties, it could be just as harmful.

Propylparaben is naturally found in some plants and insects, but is synthetically produced for use in cosmetics. It is used as a preservative in many water based cosmetics such as creams, lotions, shampoos and bath products. Nothing beneficial for the skin here.

Butylparaben is another antimicrobial and antifungal agent and is also used as a preservative. Butylparaben has been shown to cross body barriers and enter the body through the skin epithelium. Another ingredient that is possibly beneficial, but it does enter your body through the skin.

I honestly have no idea why this is such a popular product... It contains very few beneficial active ingredients (only 2) and even then there are better options out there. If I could give this product a lower rating I would. Do yourself a favor and look for a better facial cleanser, even if this works well for you. It's composed primarily of fillers and preservatives... There are much better choices out there for the same cost and a little less.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 11:18:00 AM More reviews by dterrob

I love this stuff. Takes all my make up off better than any other cleanser, not even the strongest make up remover. And it's gentle. I never realized it could take make up off so flawlessly with just the product, water, and a tissue. Only thing I don't like it, come on Cetaphil, stop testing on animals. As soon as I find a similar product that doesn't test on animals, I will not buy again. But for now, gosh darn cetaphil is just what I need.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2014 1:03:00 PM More reviews by markkk

I add tea tree oil to this to help combat blemishes. This is my favourite cleanser, and I have tried Shu Uemura, Aesop, etc.

The packaging is good, but not pretty.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2014 3:30:00 AM More reviews by winnied

one thing to know is that this product is definitely for dry skin. it works wonderfully when my skin was really dry in the winter, its very gentle and just for people who want a basic skin care routine. it does tend to leave a little bit of an "oily" feeling on the skin during the summer when my skin is oily/combo. i recommend using like a facial sponge or brush when cleansing to get a little more out of the product because it doesnt really feel like anything when you just use your hands wight his product. But overall i think you just need to know what this product is good for and when and how to use it for maximum benefits.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/29/2014 10:39:00 AM More reviews by alh011

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Good price but horrible product.
I tried applying this dry and I tried with wet hands/ dry face and vice versa but nothing seemed to work. This left a horrible film on my face that required a foaming cleanser to remove. Even after drying my face it felt like there was a layer of grease on there. I persisted for a few days and had a break out of small headless pimples, and threw it in the bin.
I tried this as it was meant to be soothing for sensitive skin but it did nothing but aggregate my skin. The only good thing about this was the price and availability: cheap and available at the chemist.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/21/2014 3:41:00 PM More reviews by fierymiss

My sister bought this for me as I am a teenager and, even though I don't have acne, I think it's way better to prevent any imprefections. I had read tons of good reviews about it, not only here, but also on Amazon and on a lot of beauty blogs.
My question is: why? This product did nothing for me. It has like eight ingredients, and three of them are parabens. No natural ingredients whatsoever, and has a weird smell. The bottle is cheap and a lot of product comes out, so you have to be really careful when you use it.
I didn't notice any improvement on my skin, it was just like washing my face with water.
Obviously, an ineffective product. I'm so glad it was given to me instead of buying it myself lol.