April 21, 2014 | 1037 users online

Deodorants - Tom's of Maine - Natural Deodorant

rated 2 of 5 on 3/2/2011 11:32:00 AM More reviews by wiresinhisheart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

this is for the unscented deodorant stick.
i like this up to a point. if im not doing anything strenuous it keeps me smelling nice all day (i feel like the unscented version of this has a kind of... salty lemon scent to it?) but if im doing anything strenuous where i will sweat more than usual (even just a quick work out, or a warmer day), this deodorant mixed with my sweat makes me smell like a wet dog, its horrible. despite being a healthy/safe alternative to deodorants containing aluminium, i would not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2011 2:05:00 AM More reviews by nellja

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So pleased to find a natural deodorant that works. I've got the unscented version, which suits me fine. The great thing is *I* stay unscented, all day.

Occasionally, I've been aware of a slight dampness, but only if I've had a really stressful time or have done lots of hopping around. I actually like this, though - it means my glands and skin are functioning properly, not clogged up with aluminum. And even then, there's no smell at all. (Checked my shirts the next day, to be sure.)

I used to worry about BO, so much so I'd get medicated this and teflon that. I decided BO was less scary than breast cancer (which is strongly correlated with aluminum deodorant use), so flirted with useless things like crystals.

This stuff does the job. Also, no white streaks.

----

Edit: When I wear white shirts/sweaters with this, I get yellow stains. Don't know if that's just my natural goodness coming out or the stick. So I've been wearing this for all but those items. (Usually, any situation I'm in that requires a white shirt involves stress...)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2011 6:10:00 PM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is for the unscented. I think that one of the biggest things I had to get used to is the fact that this is a deodorant, not an antiperspirant. I will say that is definitely does what it's supposed to. My underarms have absolutely no odor throughout the whole day. However, I did still have to deal with the wetness. If anyone has experienced a similar problem, I find that rubbing a bit of baking soda over the deodorant, really helps. I still think that the best aluminum free deodorant is the one by Adidas, but that one is incredibly expensive and hard to find. Tom's of Maine's isn't perfect, but it does the trick. I have every intention of repurchasing!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/26/2010 12:09:00 AM More reviews by bethy999

Ok, I was so excited to buy this deodorant, (I bought the apricot scent) and started using it right away. It worked flawlessly for about 3 weeks, then all of the sudden I started noticing my underarm skin is red, and peeling, like a bad sunburn. It doesn't burn, it's just scaly, and gross. I love the smell and love Tom's mission creating paraben free products, but this is getting ridiculous. I look like I have wet toilet paper hanging off my armpits :[

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2010 2:53:00 PM More reviews by meghanv

My main comment about Tom's deodorant is that it works differently for men and for women. My boyfriend used to use mainstream deodorants such as Old Spice, and no matter the deodorant, he would become smelly near the end of the day. When he switched to Tom's, he was no longer smelly. I think this has something to do with his body chemistry because he tried another all-natural deodorant (Jason's) and he went back to being smelly. Tom's seems to work well for him all day long after one morning application.

Tom's seems to control odor fairly well for me, but when I tried the long lasting variety, I got red irritation almost like a burn on my underarms. I now use Tom's sensitive variety, but it seems to leave almost a mildew-ish smell after a few hours, which is really awful for a deodorant.

In summary, I think it works really well for men, but just ok for women.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2010 2:02:00 PM More reviews by lilacs80

I picked up this deodorant because it was natural and aluminum free. It turns out this is by far, my worst deodorant ever! I have this in the apricot scent. It smells nice...light fruity scent, not over powering or overwhelming, but this product does not work! The first time I put this on, I was out all day and maybe 3-4 hours in, I started noticing a slight odor scent. I took a whiff of my underarms and I was in a panic attack. I thought it had to do with me perspiring more than I normally do that day because it was super hot day and causing me to have a slight BO. I kept my arms down for the rest of the day, self conscious that others around me may smell me. So from that point on, I would put on my deodorant in the mornings, and take it with me in my handbag. I find myself sniffing my underarms and checking for BO. I do find that I have to reapply this product like every 3 hours or so. This is terrible. I'm someone who don't have BO, never have BO, and this deodorant for whatever reason, caused me to have slight BO! I think it is from the lack of protection in the perspiration department. Who knows. Or maybe the formula is just not for me....my body chemistry + the formula of the product = sweaty underarms and BO. I think this product is great for someone who does not need a lot of protection and can do without deodorant....this would be the perfect product for that person! It'll give light protection for someone who don't really need it. For us gals who need a little more or moderate protection, this product is not for you! Save yourself the embarrassment, self consciousness, and trouble of carrying an extra deodorant in your handbag for reapplication -- this isn't your lipstick after lunch. I will not be buying this again!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2010 11:57:00 AM More reviews by OICMe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried the apricot variety, which claims on the front to be"long lasting." I didn't have any sort of allergic reaction, nor did it make my skin peel as far as I know, but-as far as preventing odor, it did NOT work. It did nothing at all but sit on my skin. Back to the stone!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2010 11:35:00 AM More reviews by longereyelashes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

YUCK! I hated this deodorant so much. It was honeysuckle rose smell, and it felt like slime. Not the kind that feels slimy at first, then dries- I felt like a sweating pig all day. And it wasn't sweat, it was deodorant. Also it did nothing for BO, it just covered it up in it's weird scent. This is horrible deodorant.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2010 1:19:00 PM More reviews by alucas1877

Hello all,
This is my first comment here on Makeupalley!  I also was looking for a natural alternative to deodorants as I have extremely sensitive skin under my armpits. I am not able to use any deodorants that are scented. I usually use Dove for sensitive skin.
Well I bought Tom's unscented deodorant and I was extremely disappointed. Within a few hours of wearing it and not doing much of anything that day, I notice that the deodorant was not working as it should. It wasn’t that I smelled bad, but I notice that my natural scent was coming through, something that never happens when I wear Dove.
I had to throw mine away and continue my search.

Alexandra

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2010 12:53:00 PM More reviews by TeaGrl8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been trying to go more natural with my beauty routine and after looking at the ingredients in my Dove deodorant I decided I wanted something with fewer ingredients and ones I could actually Identify without looking up. So I decided to try Tom's of Maine Long Lasting Deodorant. It is lavender scented, contains Hops and is supposed to last 12 hours. Well the it has 2 out of those 3, it contains hops (according to the ingredients list) and it does smell like lavender, quite nicely actually. During my first day wearing it I reapplied once, not because I had BO but because I couldn't smell the lavender anymore. I thought "thats ok, I don't really mind having to reapply its not too big a deal and even if the lavender scent fades thats ok as long as I don't stink". By the end of the night I had my SO give me an armpit check, he said he didn't smell lavender but there was only a slight hint of my smell coming through and that I did not smell bad. This disappointed me since I had done very little physical activity during the day and I have come to the decision this will not hold up to me usual more intense daily routine. This mornings findings also sealed this deodorants fate of going in the trash, I woke up like many others with the skin of my armpit peeling off which never happened with any other brand I have used ever. Also this is at least a dollar more expensive. Back to Dove for me.