December 18, 2014 | 1664 users online

Powder - Everyday Minerals - Semi-Matte Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2011 4:58:00 PM More reviews by piecesofpurple

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm currently on Accutane, so my skin is super dry, which is the only reason I'm using this product. My skin is usually very oily and acne prone and EDM's foundations don't hold up well to oil at all and transfer like crazy. However, now that I have dry skin, EDM's foundations hold up quite well, but still transfer a bit (not nearly as bad as when my skin is oily). It's actually really interesting to see just how incredibly different a product is, depending on skin type and this is why I feel it's very important to read reviews mainly by people with the same skin type as your own. The product will literally be two completely different products on someone with oily skin vs dry.

So, for dry skinned ladies, I would recommend this particular formula. It provides enough luminosity to mimic natural skin's semi matte appearance. On combo or oily skin types, it'll look straight up glittery. Normal skin types can pull this off, but it will look quite dewy in pictures and in person (may be best as a winter foundation).

I've found that the shades are MUCH lighter in the Matte and Semi Matte formulas than they are in the Intensive. I'm Golden Fair in the Intensive and it's slightly too dark for my skin. The Matte formula is way too light in Golden Fair and the Semi Matte Formula is a good match. I find intensive to have medium coverage and semi matte is really the same coverage, just a different formula. I feel that Semi Matte looks more natural than the intensive because it seems to be more finely milled.

With this product, I feel no need to use a luminizer powder on top because it provides enough glow on it's own.

I apply this on top of Mychelle's cream foundation (which is very sheer) and it adheres to it very well, providing me with more coverage, which I really need because of my post acne scarring and current acne.

Overall, I'd recommend this for dry skin types, but others should probably stay away. For the life of me I can't figure out why BE and EDM are the most popular mineral brands out there because their products are really just average----at least in the foundation category for EDM. EDM takes products of their site with no warning (what happened to Intensive?? and the pressed version?) and changes formulas with little to no warning. They have a "News" section on their site, but they never post anything truly relevant! And 12 bucks for 5.5 grams of foundation is an average price. I do like the container, though. It's the best I've come across for a loose MMU.

It also doesn't help my acne and may be contributing to some of it. But, I don't have the nerve to go Makeup-less with my skin looking like this.

Overall, if you have relatively good skin with no oil issues, then this foundation will be great for you. But for the rest of us out there, it's average. I'm going to continue my search for my HG product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2011 10:11:00 PM More reviews by lusciouspreciousluv

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

In comparing this to BE, I like BE's formula better. BE glides on more like silk and I like the overall finish better. However, BE has a somewhat limited color range for fair skins especially in comparison to EDM. EDM in both the Olive or Golden Fair is a PERFECT match for my skin. BE's Golden Fair runs dark and is TOO yellow I am finding for me personally. On the plus side, EDM lasts all day as well on me just like BE. And so far I haven't had any irritation or break outs from the ingredients. If I do I will update on that.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/3/2011 12:27:00 AM More reviews by cpc1887

Somehow I only saw the positive, glowing reviews of this product before ordering the sample kit... Now, of course, I am finding all the reviews similar to my own! After a day and a half of use, this makeup gave me four, large, painful cystic pimples on my jaw and chin area. I have not had any cystic acne like this in almost 2 years, so the brief introduction of this is the sole cause.

I can't believe it after all of the hype I heard about it being the "best" mineral makeup. Apparently it works for some, but if you are prone in any way to cystic acne, DO NOT USE.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2011 6:20:00 PM More reviews by edmineralsgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

After using EDM foundation for 3 years now, I have to say I love their products! (thus the MUA profile name). I stumbled upon the site and decided to order samples of the tan kit...which by the way are very generous. All you pay for is s+h and receive several sample shades. When I first started out using EDM foundation, my skin was oily, red, broken out. A few weeks of using this stuff and I was beyond amazed. My skin actually began to clear up the more I used this foundation!! I actually stopped wearing any makeup for the past 4 months because I'm trying to be more natural. When I went back to my foundation, however, it broke me out with cystic acne. This happened twice with a 2 month gap in between. I'm not sure if its because the makeup went bad, but I had a really bad unexpected reaction. I'm afraid to go back to it, but its the only foundation I've trusted. I plan on applying it to half of my face to test it out. That said, ladies, give this foundation a shot! It truly is worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2011 8:42:00 PM More reviews by morningblues342

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is an HG product for me. I love mineral foundation, and this is the only brand that doesn't break me out. It covers wonderfully, is buildable, and gives you a bit of a glow. The foundation powder actually has light reflecting minerals in it, which you can see in the powder before you apply. It stays all day. Definitely gives a finish much like Bare Escentuals, and is cheaper. I will keep coming back!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2011 12:05:00 PM More reviews by atomickittenlove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So I'm kinda unsure about this.

I decided to switch over to mineral powder because of all the comedogenic and unsafe chemicals used in liquid foundations... I ordered the sample kit from EDM and also some samples from Alima.

The Alima ones came about a week earlier so I started using those first- they didn't break me out and i really liked them.

But when EDM came I decided to try theirs since despite Alima's awesomeness-they do have a powdery look.

EDM had an amazing finish. I loved it- no powder at all! BUT after two days of using it I had 3 painful under the skin acne bumps... so I went back to alima and no new acne...

So can't be sure if EDM was the cause... I'll try it again when these bumps die down... and update

EDIT: THIS DEFINITELY AGGRAVATED MY ACNE! Caused cystic acne to re-surface. The amount of mica in it was extremely irritating.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2011 9:51:00 AM More reviews by Florettaxx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Really pleased with this! I think I will be repurchasing again soon. Got mine in semi-matte formula, which is just perfect for me! Its not shiny and looks natural, but really gives a gorgeous natural glow at the same time. I find that many powder foundations can look a bit cakey, but this gives a lovely dewy look to my skin.
I use it with their flat top kabuki which works great, and I tend to layer it up until I've got the coverage I need. Would recommend to anyone with sensitive skin because this doesn't irritate my skin, just makes your skin feel super soft!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2011 10:37:00 PM More reviews by liagibba

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been using Everyday Minerals for about 2 years now and I love them! I mix the foundation powder with my spf moisturizer du jour (Biore, for now) and make a tinted moisturizer. I have used it with a kabuki brush over the moisturizer in the past, but I think the coverage is better as a tinted moisturizer. Definitely a great price at $12 for the big one, and they have lots and lots of shades to get a perfect match. Everyday Minerals is great overall and the semi-matte foundation is good for light but effective skin coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 10:15:00 AM More reviews by mcgrath1375

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this base, the matte and intensive bases tend to oxidize more throughout the day, making the color change, and I feel as though they don't posses the same natural look at the end of the day as they do at the start.

The Semi-Matte has the same look morning to night, and the color options are amazing. I like that it isn't shimmery and it has an SPF in it. In the summer I would normally switch to the Original Glo Base, but I don't like the shimmer.

One container lasts me months, and it's so inexpensive. I am very acne prone and this does not break me out at all.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/15/2011 4:36:00 PM More reviews by sabbles

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

At first, I really loved this foundation.

PROS:

There are tons of colors to choose from, and you can order samples galore. I found my perfect shade (Fairly Light Neutral) when I ordered the Fair sample kit. The kit was free (plus s+h) because I had ordered the Long Handled Kabuki -- great brushes, by the way.

The semi-matte base has a light to medium, buildable coverage, and it stands up to a slightly oily t-zone better than the original glow base. (The matte and intensive were a bit cakey on me.) The ingredients (or lack thereof) are amazing.

CONS:

After 3 months of use, I noticed that the powder never really melted into my skin. It was always sitting just on top of my skin, which made it very noticeable.

It does not feel as light as other mineral makeup powders, and it does not last. After 4 hours, my T-zone was oily. I also noticed oil in areas where I had never before seen oil. The longer I wore the powder, the faster it "melted" off my face.

MY ADVICE:

You get what you pay for.