Everyday Minerals Semi-Matte Foundation

3.8

Not tested on animals

Ingredients: Mica. May Contain ( /-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

I have been using EM's Semi-Matte bases for several months now, and am very pleased with the results. My skin has all kinds of issues - sensitive, oily with dry patches, prone to breakouts - so I was nervous that the mineral powder would irritate, not provide enough coverage, etc. Not the case! Semi-Matte isn't drying, and covers well with a slight "glow" (not greasy). So glad I made the move from liquid bases; my pores are thanking me! I will say I make a good effort to clean my brushes weekly, and that has helped minimize breakouts to where I hardly get any now (knock on wood).

The prices for the sifters are reasonable, and since I have a couple of shades on hand to mix based on my tan at the time, they last a good while. Packaging isn't fancy, but the value and no animal testing/sustainable practices make it worth it to me.

Their samples are generous, so try some out!

Packaging- I like how much product it has as compared to BareMinerals, but the sifter can be kind of difficult sometimes and it is hard to tell when you are running low on product which is frustrating since I have to order it offline and wait for it to ship. Don't expect to be able to remove the sifter either.

In general though, I love this product. I'm in college and HATE that I have freckles all over my face (yes, I realize they are cute) but it's not like I have red hair. I have blonde hair and blue eyes and pale skin with brown freckles. They are just frustrating. So, I mix moisturizer and some Clinque foundation and apply that first and after that dries I apply my EM foundation over that. I LOVE how it looks. My Mom even told me how much better my face looks than when I was using Bare Minerals. I will re-buy for now.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

So I just got the sample kit in and haven't found my match yet, but I was more concerned with figuring out if it will break my skin out or not, so I've been wearing it every day. I have ridiculously sensitive skin. Anything and everything breaks it out, so I'll be extremely surprised if this doesn't.

I've worn this stuff for about 3 days so far, and while it hasn't made any noticeable new blemishes, it has slightly aggravated old ones. My skin has been super dry over the past few weeks, so I'm keeping a close eye on it. I haven't gotten cystic acne in a while though, and that seems to be what people are experiencing with this product, so as soon as I get more than one of those bad boys, this stuff will be going in the garbage.

I will say that I like the lack of bismuth oxychloride and Boron Nitride, which I've definitely had reactions to. They did recently add a filler called Lauroyl Lysine, which after poking around a bit, seems to be a safe amino acid derived from coconut. Not sure about long term effects, but it looks like the mica is only treated with it to create smoothness, so there probably isn't a whole heck of a lot of it. It seems to have good qualities, such as antimicrobial, and may even improve skin quality.

However, I did hear that they added this ingredient with no warning, so I'm wary about the company itself. I also heard that it did make people break out, so I'm waiting for that to happen to me. They don't use nano-particles (which can be embedded in your lungs when inhaled) so that's a plus.

Coverage - good coverage from semi-matte. It can be a bit cakey if you go overboard, so I may try a different technique.

Color - they have a ton of colors to choose from, and free samples, which is nice for somebody on a budget who doesn't know what skin tone they have. However, I'm finding it difficult, as always, to find a match. So far they either look yellow or ashy on me, so I'm shooting for an olive and I hope that will work.

Over all: Don't know if it breaks me out or not yet, but will update when it does. Hopefully it doesn't, but I have serious doubts. I don't really like the horror stories I've heard with the company and their marketing history, but it's kind of hard finding inexpensive mineral foundation to begin with (mineral foundation as a market is extremely overpriced), so if it doesn't break me out I might just go with them. Will update after a few weeks of using this stuff!

EDIT:
Unfortunately I think this may be the culprit for my latest breakout. Will stop use before I make a final decision.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Olive Medium is the only mineral makeup I have found that matches my euro-asian mutt skin! Love the finnish- more of a natural glow that isn't too shiney for my oily skin. The packaging is great, especially for travel. I have a problem with getting mineral makeup to last on my oily skin- altho this is by far the longest wearing one i've tried, I still wish I didn't have to touch up after 6-8 hours of wear... but for the value, perfect color match, & finish, I'm willing to reapply!

This is my HG foundation. I used to use Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Cream Foundation in Sandy Beige. My friend has amazing skin (her skin color is very close to mine) and her makeup is always flawless. Got me thinking about what the heck she was using. When I asked her, I found out that she was using Everyday Minerals in Winged Butter and she totally recommended that I try it out. There was nothing wrong with my IAR foundation, but I just hated the heaviness and oiliness of it throughout the day (for all you dry skinned ladies who like good coverage and a creamy foundation, Maybelline's IAR would be good for you...but I think they discontinued it. You can still find it on Ebay). I have combo skin, usually oiliness on my T-Zone. I first ordered the sample jars to find my perfect shade. EM has tons of shades to choose from, so I'm sure you'll be able to find yours too! I ended up choosing "Light" in "Semi-Matte" over "Winged Butter" because "Winged Butter" was a lot more yellow toned than my real skin color and because "Winged Butter" is sold in the glowy "Original Glo," it reflects a lot more light, which I sort of didn't like since I always use highlighter anyway. "Light" in "Semi-Matte" matches my skintone perfectly (yellowish-beige), doesn't make me break out at all, stays on all day, and makes me look AMAZING without the cakiness some other powder makeup gives me. It looks great with or without flash -- most importantly, it looks like my skin! It doesn't look like I have makeup on. I have started to use the Multi-tasking concealer underneath the foundation which is just as great in concealing dark undereye circles, pimples, redness, etc. Anyway, after applying the concealer, the foundation goes on like a dream! Oh so creamy and luxurious with EM's flat top brush. I love it so much and I'm so thankful that I found a good mineral makeup that won't harm my skin! I LOVE YOU EVERYDAY MINERALS!!!!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I'm currently on Accutane, so my skin is super dry, which is the only reason I'm using this product. My skin is usually very oily and acne prone and EDM's foundations don't hold up well to oil at all and transfer like crazy. However, now that I have dry skin, EDM's foundations hold up quite well, but still transfer a bit (not nearly as bad as when my skin is oily). It's actually really interesting to see just how incredibly different a product is, depending on skin type and this is why I feel it's very important to read reviews mainly by people with the same skin type as your own. The product will literally be two completely different products on someone with oily skin vs dry.

So, for dry skinned ladies, I would recommend this particular formula. It provides enough luminosity to mimic natural skin's semi matte appearance. On combo or oily skin types, it'll look straight up glittery. Normal skin types can pull this off, but it will look quite dewy in pictures and in person (may be best as a winter foundation).

I've found that the shades are MUCH lighter in the Matte and Semi Matte formulas than they are in the Intensive. I'm Golden Fair in the Intensive and it's slightly too dark for my skin. The Matte formula is way too light in Golden Fair and the Semi Matte Formula is a good match. I find intensive to have medium coverage and semi matte is really the same coverage, just a different formula. I feel that Semi Matte looks more natural than the intensive because it seems to be more finely milled.

With this product, I feel no need to use a luminizer powder on top because it provides enough glow on it's own.

I apply this on top of Mychelle's cream foundation (which is very sheer) and it adheres to it very well, providing me with more coverage, which I really need because of my post acne scarring and current acne.

Overall, I'd recommend this for dry skin types, but others should probably stay away. For the life of me I can't figure out why BE and EDM are the most popular mineral brands out there because their products are really just average----at least in the foundation category for EDM. EDM takes products of their site with no warning (what happened to Intensive?? and the pressed version?) and changes formulas with little to no warning. They have a "News" section on their site, but they never post anything truly relevant! And 12 bucks for 5.5 grams of foundation is an average price. I do like the container, though. It's the best I've come across for a loose MMU.

It also doesn't help my acne and may be contributing to some of it. But, I don't have the nerve to go Makeup-less with my skin looking like this.

Overall, if you have relatively good skin with no oil issues, then this foundation will be great for you. But for the rest of us out there, it's average. I'm going to continue my search for my HG product.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

In comparing this to BE, I like BE's formula better. BE glides on more like silk and I like the overall finish better. However, BE has a somewhat limited color range for fair skins especially in comparison to EDM. EDM in both the Olive or Golden Fair is a PERFECT match for my skin. BE's Golden Fair runs dark and is TOO yellow I am finding for me personally. On the plus side, EDM lasts all day as well on me just like BE. And so far I haven't had any irritation or break outs from the ingredients. If I do I will update on that.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Somehow I only saw the positive, glowing reviews of this product before ordering the sample kit... Now, of course, I am finding all the reviews similar to my own! After a day and a half of use, this makeup gave me four, large, painful cystic pimples on my jaw and chin area. I have not had any cystic acne like this in almost 2 years, so the brief introduction of this is the sole cause.

I can't believe it after all of the hype I heard about it being the "best" mineral makeup. Apparently it works for some, but if you are prone in any way to cystic acne, DO NOT USE.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

After using EDM foundation for 3 years now, I have to say I love their products! (thus the MUA profile name). I stumbled upon the site and decided to order samples of the tan kit...which by the way are very generous. All you pay for is s+h and receive several sample shades. When I first started out using EDM foundation, my skin was oily, red, broken out. A few weeks of using this stuff and I was beyond amazed. My skin actually began to clear up the more I used this foundation!! I actually stopped wearing any makeup for the past 4 months because I'm trying to be more natural. When I went back to my foundation, however, it broke me out with cystic acne. This happened twice with a 2 month gap in between. I'm not sure if its because the makeup went bad, but I had a really bad unexpected reaction. I'm afraid to go back to it, but its the only foundation I've trusted. I plan on applying it to half of my face to test it out. That said, ladies, give this foundation a shot! It truly is worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is an HG product for me. I love mineral foundation, and this is the only brand that doesn't break me out. It covers wonderfully, is buildable, and gives you a bit of a glow. The foundation powder actually has light reflecting minerals in it, which you can see in the powder before you apply. It stays all day. Definitely gives a finish much like Bare Escentuals, and is cheaper. I will keep coming back!