Everyday Minerals Semi-Matte Foundation

3.8

Not tested on animals

Ingredients: Mica, Layroyl Lysine. MAY CONTAIN: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarines.

on 1/17/2012 6:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Olive Medium is the only mineral makeup I have found that matches my euro-asian mutt skin! Love the finnish- more of a natural glow that isn't too shiney for my oily skin. The packaging is great, especially for travel. I have a problem with getting mineral makeup to last on my oily skin- altho this is by far the longest wearing one i've tried, I still wish I didn't have to touch up after 6-8 hours of wear... but for the value, perfect color match, & finish, I'm willing to reapply!

on 11/3/2011 11:03:00 PM

This is my HG foundation. I used to use Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Cream Foundation in Sandy Beige. My friend has amazing skin (her skin color is very close to mine) and her makeup is always flawless. Got me thinking about what the heck she was using. When I asked her, I found out that she was using Everyday Minerals in Winged Butter and she totally recommended that I try it out. There was nothing wrong with my IAR foundation, but I just hated the heaviness and oiliness of it throughout the day (for all you dry skinned ladies who like good coverage and a creamy foundation, Maybelline's IAR would be good for you...but I think they discontinued it. You can still find it on Ebay). I have combo skin, usually oiliness on my T-Zone. I first ordered the sample jars to find my perfect shade. EM has tons of shades to choose from, so I'm sure you'll be able to find yours too! I ended up choosing "Light" in "Semi-Matte" over "Winged Butter" because "Winged Butter" was a lot more yellow toned than my real skin color and because "Winged Butter" is sold in the glowy "Original Glo," it reflects a lot more light, which I sort of didn't like since I always use highlighter anyway. "Light" in "Semi-Matte" matches my skintone perfectly (yellowish-beige), doesn't make me break out at all, stays on all day, and makes me look AMAZING without the cakiness some other powder makeup gives me. It looks great with or without flash -- most importantly, it looks like my skin! It doesn't look like I have makeup on. I have started to use the Multi-tasking concealer underneath the foundation which is just as great in concealing dark undereye circles, pimples, redness, etc. Anyway, after applying the concealer, the foundation goes on like a dream! Oh so creamy and luxurious with EM's flat top brush. I love it so much and I'm so thankful that I found a good mineral makeup that won't harm my skin! I LOVE YOU EVERYDAY MINERALS!!!!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I'm currently on Accutane, so my skin is super dry, which is the only reason I'm using this product. My skin is usually very oily and acne prone and EDM's foundations don't hold up well to oil at all and transfer like crazy. However, now that I have dry skin, EDM's foundations hold up quite well, but still transfer a bit (not nearly as bad as when my skin is oily). It's actually really interesting to see just how incredibly different a product is, depending on skin type and this is why I feel it's very important to read reviews mainly by people with the same skin type as your own. The product will literally be two completely different products on someone with oily skin vs dry.

So, for dry skinned ladies, I would recommend this particular formula. It provides enough luminosity to mimic natural skin's semi matte appearance. On combo or oily skin types, it'll look straight up glittery. Normal skin types can pull this off, but it will look quite dewy in pictures and in person (may be best as a winter foundation).

I've found that the shades are MUCH lighter in the Matte and Semi Matte formulas than they are in the Intensive. I'm Golden Fair in the Intensive and it's slightly too dark for my skin. The Matte formula is way too light in Golden Fair and the Semi Matte Formula is a good match. I find intensive to have medium coverage and semi matte is really the same coverage, just a different formula. I feel that Semi Matte looks more natural than the intensive because it seems to be more finely milled.

With this product, I feel no need to use a luminizer powder on top because it provides enough glow on it's own.

I apply this on top of Mychelle's cream foundation (which is very sheer) and it adheres to it very well, providing me with more coverage, which I really need because of my post acne scarring and current acne.

Overall, I'd recommend this for dry skin types, but others should probably stay away. For the life of me I can't figure out why BE and EDM are the most popular mineral brands out there because their products are really just average----at least in the foundation category for EDM. EDM takes products of their site with no warning (what happened to Intensive?? and the pressed version?) and changes formulas with little to no warning. They have a "News" section on their site, but they never post anything truly relevant! And 12 bucks for 5.5 grams of foundation is an average price. I do like the container, though. It's the best I've come across for a loose MMU.

It also doesn't help my acne and may be contributing to some of it. But, I don't have the nerve to go Makeup-less with my skin looking like this.

Overall, if you have relatively good skin with no oil issues, then this foundation will be great for you. But for the rest of us out there, it's average. I'm going to continue my search for my HG product.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

In comparing this to BE, I like BE's formula better. BE glides on more like silk and I like the overall finish better. However, BE has a somewhat limited color range for fair skins especially in comparison to EDM. EDM in both the Olive or Golden Fair is a PERFECT match for my skin. BE's Golden Fair runs dark and is TOO yellow I am finding for me personally. On the plus side, EDM lasts all day as well on me just like BE. And so far I haven't had any irritation or break outs from the ingredients. If I do I will update on that.

on 9/3/2011 12:27:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Somehow I only saw the positive, glowing reviews of this product before ordering the sample kit... Now, of course, I am finding all the reviews similar to my own! After a day and a half of use, this makeup gave me four, large, painful cystic pimples on my jaw and chin area. I have not had any cystic acne like this in almost 2 years, so the brief introduction of this is the sole cause.

I can't believe it after all of the hype I heard about it being the "best" mineral makeup. Apparently it works for some, but if you are prone in any way to cystic acne, DO NOT USE.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

After using EDM foundation for 3 years now, I have to say I love their products! (thus the MUA profile name). I stumbled upon the site and decided to order samples of the tan kit...which by the way are very generous. All you pay for is s+h and receive several sample shades. When I first started out using EDM foundation, my skin was oily, red, broken out. A few weeks of using this stuff and I was beyond amazed. My skin actually began to clear up the more I used this foundation!! I actually stopped wearing any makeup for the past 4 months because I'm trying to be more natural. When I went back to my foundation, however, it broke me out with cystic acne. This happened twice with a 2 month gap in between. I'm not sure if its because the makeup went bad, but I had a really bad unexpected reaction. I'm afraid to go back to it, but its the only foundation I've trusted. I plan on applying it to half of my face to test it out. That said, ladies, give this foundation a shot! It truly is worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is an HG product for me. I love mineral foundation, and this is the only brand that doesn't break me out. It covers wonderfully, is buildable, and gives you a bit of a glow. The foundation powder actually has light reflecting minerals in it, which you can see in the powder before you apply. It stays all day. Definitely gives a finish much like Bare Escentuals, and is cheaper. I will keep coming back!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

So I'm kinda unsure about this.

I decided to switch over to mineral powder because of all the comedogenic and unsafe chemicals used in liquid foundations... I ordered the sample kit from EDM and also some samples from Alima.

The Alima ones came about a week earlier so I started using those first- they didn't break me out and i really liked them.

But when EDM came I decided to try theirs since despite Alima's awesomeness-they do have a powdery look.

EDM had an amazing finish. I loved it- no powder at all! BUT after two days of using it I had 3 painful under the skin acne bumps... so I went back to alima and no new acne...

So can't be sure if EDM was the cause... I'll try it again when these bumps die down... and update

EDIT: THIS DEFINITELY AGGRAVATED MY ACNE! Caused cystic acne to re-surface. The amount of mica in it was extremely irritating.

on 6/1/2011 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Really pleased with this! I think I will be repurchasing again soon. Got mine in semi-matte formula, which is just perfect for me! Its not shiny and looks natural, but really gives a gorgeous natural glow at the same time. I find that many powder foundations can look a bit cakey, but this gives a lovely dewy look to my skin.
I use it with their flat top kabuki which works great, and I tend to layer it up until I've got the coverage I need. Would recommend to anyone with sensitive skin because this doesn't irritate my skin, just makes your skin feel super soft!

on 5/28/2011 10:37:00 PM

I've been using Everyday Minerals for about 2 years now and I love them! I mix the foundation powder with my spf moisturizer du jour (Biore, for now) and make a tinted moisturizer. I have used it with a kabuki brush over the moisturizer in the past, but I think the coverage is better as a tinted moisturizer. Definitely a great price at $12 for the big one, and they have lots and lots of shades to get a perfect match. Everyday Minerals is great overall and the semi-matte foundation is good for light but effective skin coverage.