Clinique Aromatics Elixir

3.0

on 9/6/2011 7:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Egad. I tried this in Sephora and was, for the first time, just plain appalled. Who on earth wants to smell like this? I couldn't detect any particular top notes, just dirty vase water, cold cigarette butts and the smell of tomatoes once they've started to mold and turn slimy. I really, truly don't get this one.

on 9/6/2011 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I adore Aromatics Elixir and I always will. I can appreciate why people don't like it, but I love this scent. I do not have a signature scent but if I had to go to a world where only 5 scents could live on my shelf, this would be one of them. This is a scent that I never get tired of, and one that always shows me something new. AE has a richness and depth that most perfumes lack. I've never smelled anything like Aromatics, and most other modern scents seem to pale in comparison.

Then again, the more perfume I smell, the more my nose seems to like scents formulated well before even the 1990's...

on 8/24/2011 9:58:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I've lost count of how many times I've picked this up and put it down . I love chypres, woods, greens, 'difficult' scents, but whenever I tested it previously it was just TOO '1982 6th-grade hippie art teacher' (no offence, mine was fantastic). Just totally not me. Still, it's an important reference scent so I picked up the 25ml. at a yard sale for $5. Lo and behold if I don't love it. A TINY bit on one arm, spread around, and after at least half an hour.
It's beautifully dense and tightly-packed, like fur or pine needles, and it is most definitely a fall and winter scent. Sometimes it turns into a classy rose-soap. Mysterious, and it keeps unfolding and changing.
If you don't have an unpleasant scent-memory with this one, give it another shot. It's good to have your mind changed.

on 8/4/2011 3:03:00 PM

You either love this, or hate it. This one is definitely NOT for me - instant headache. I find this overpowering and cloying. I once got a free sample that made my bag stink for months, so it's got staying power. Bleugh.

on 8/2/2011 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Clinique - Aromatics Elixir, is a woodsy, oakmossy, white jasmine, chamomile and patchouli strong "pungent" scent, which is definitely not for the faint of heart, because it's extremely concentrated.

When you first spray it on, (one or two spritz will do) it smells
"intoxicantingly" strong, non-sweet, but after a few minutes, it will soften into a powdery, soapy, "Super Clean" aromatics scent (unless you overspray too much, in that case, you WILL need some oxygen!),
But this this is very classical "mature" scent, which will get you lots of compliments everywhere you go, because no one can forget you wearing it and it for a long, long time...even till a few days later!

There is another scent that could be a dupe "designer perfume" for this one called: Royal Platinum 04 Beautiful Eau de Parfum.

on 7/22/2011 8:33:00 PM

Let me be clear that I absolutely love this perfume - having said that, I TOTALLY get why people think it stinks. In the bottle or freshly sprayed, it is abysmal. It was not always this way - I first bought Aromatics Elixir in Europe, and it smelled to me like the most sensual incense even in the bottle. Since then (That was in 1997), perhaps something has changed with the the formulation. If I was to just smell it in the bottle now, I would never wear it - it smells like someone in a lab threw out a bad batch of synthetic roses and patchouli, no kidding.

However, the magic of this perfume is what it does once it hits your skin. Like all perfumes, it goes through a series of changes and winds up at its drydown. Aromatics Elixir is pretty amazing once it does its thing. For me, it goes through a very green, chypre stage, a patchouli-driven phase, a delicious exotic incense stage, and eventually, a woodsy, almost powdery (but think about the powdery residue left in bags of incense, not like baby powder) stage. It is an autumnal scent to me. I have been told it smells glorious on me, but NO ONE has said anything good to me about this fragrance if they picked it up off of my dresser and just sniffed at it; it has to be worn, and maybe it is one of those that can only be worn by certain people & not others.

One more thing - a little goes a long way, trust. Do not bathe in this perfume or people will begin to ask who has been spraying for roaches.

on 7/22/2011 12:50:00 PM

I've never owned this (thank God) but I feel the need to spread the word in any way possible how awful this stuff is. It is hideous. Gross. Repulsive. To say it smells like an old lady is disrespectful to old ladies everywhere, as I am sure there are old ladies out there who do not stink to this degree.

on 5/21/2011 6:18:00 PM

This perfume is not for the faint of heart. It is quite.....pungent. If you like a classic perfume such as chanel number 5 this may work for you otherwise I would steer clear.

Aromatics is most likely aimed for a more mature lady that likes those classic smells. It is very strong like a floral musky scent. I can honestly say that I very much dislike this smell but thats just my taste. There is nothing subtle about the smell. The only real positive thing I can say, in my opinion, is that the scent does last for a long time, but in my case I really would not want it too.

on 5/16/2011 1:44:00 PM

This is one of my all-time favourite scents. Definitely not for the faint of heart, it's not suitable for everyone. Extremely concentrated, a little goes a LONG way. A bottle will last me for years. It's a very sexy, sultry smell and I get compliments when wearing it. Beautiful scent.

on 5/11/2011 8:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is my signature scent. Always return to this when I want to feel sophisticated and empowered. Usually wear at nighttime but sometimes I wear it during the day if I have an important meeting and want a bit of a confidence boost :-)

It is a very strong chypre type of scent - very warm - and I think it's like Marmite (which I hate) and you either love or hate it.

It's not for the clean linen scent brigade or for little girls - it's a full bloodied woman's scent m'lud.

I also love Mitsouko by Guerlain which is also chypre (I think).