October 20, 2014 | 1067 users online

Fragrances - Clinique - Aromatics Elixir

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2011 9:58:00 PM More reviews by highrise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've lost count of how many times I've picked this up and put it down . I love chypres, woods, greens, 'difficult' scents, but whenever I tested it previously it was just TOO '1982 6th-grade hippie art teacher' (no offence, mine was fantastic). Just totally not me. Still, it's an important reference scent so I picked up the 25ml. at a yard sale for $5. Lo and behold if I don't love it. A TINY bit on one arm, spread around, and after at least half an hour.
It's beautifully dense and tightly-packed, like fur or pine needles, and it is most definitely a fall and winter scent. Sometimes it turns into a classy rose-soap. Mysterious, and it keeps unfolding and changing.
If you don't have an unpleasant scent-memory with this one, give it another shot. It's good to have your mind changed.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/4/2011 3:03:00 PM More reviews by merrymaiden

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

You either love this, or hate it. This one is definitely NOT for me - instant headache. I find this overpowering and cloying. I once got a free sample that made my bag stink for months, so it's got staying power. Bleugh.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2011 11:03:00 PM More reviews by ADELANOVAL

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Clinique - Aromatics Elixir, is a woodsy, oakmossy, white jasmine, chamomile and patchouli strong "pungent" scent, which is definitely not for the faint of heart, because it's extremely concentrated.

When you first spray it on, (one or two spritz will do) it smells
"intoxicantingly" strong, non-sweet, but after a few minutes, it will soften into a powdery, soapy, "Super Clean" aromatics scent (unless you overspray too much, in that case, you WILL need some oxygen!),
But this this is very classical "mature" scent, which will get you lots of compliments everywhere you go, because no one can forget you wearing it and it for a long, long time...even till a few days later!

There is another scent that could be a dupe "designer perfume" for this one called: Royal Platinum 04 Beautiful Eau de Parfum.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2011 8:33:00 PM More reviews by kkirstenc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Let me be clear that I absolutely love this perfume - having said that, I TOTALLY get why people think it stinks. In the bottle or freshly sprayed, it is abysmal. It was not always this way - I first bought Aromatics Elixir in Europe, and it smelled to me like the most sensual incense even in the bottle. Since then (That was in 1997), perhaps something has changed with the the formulation. If I was to just smell it in the bottle now, I would never wear it - it smells like someone in a lab threw out a bad batch of synthetic roses and patchouli, no kidding.

However, the magic of this perfume is what it does once it hits your skin. Like all perfumes, it goes through a series of changes and winds up at its drydown. Aromatics Elixir is pretty amazing once it does its thing. For me, it goes through a very green, chypre stage, a patchouli-driven phase, a delicious exotic incense stage, and eventually, a woodsy, almost powdery (but think about the powdery residue left in bags of incense, not like baby powder) stage. It is an autumnal scent to me. I have been told it smells glorious on me, but NO ONE has said anything good to me about this fragrance if they picked it up off of my dresser and just sniffed at it; it has to be worn, and maybe it is one of those that can only be worn by certain people & not others.

One more thing - a little goes a long way, trust. Do not bathe in this perfume or people will begin to ask who has been spraying for roaches.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2011 12:50:00 PM More reviews by PookieT

I've never owned this (thank God) but I feel the need to spread the word in any way possible how awful this stuff is. It is hideous. Gross. Repulsive. To say it smells like an old lady is disrespectful to old ladies everywhere, as I am sure there are old ladies out there who do not stink to this degree.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/21/2011 6:18:00 PM More reviews by Candace8592

This perfume is not for the faint of heart. It is quite.....pungent. If you like a classic perfume such as chanel number 5 this may work for you otherwise I would steer clear.

Aromatics is most likely aimed for a more mature lady that likes those classic smells. It is very strong like a floral musky scent. I can honestly say that I very much dislike this smell but thats just my taste. There is nothing subtle about the smell. The only real positive thing I can say, in my opinion, is that the scent does last for a long time, but in my case I really would not want it too.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2011 1:44:00 PM More reviews by valkyrie81

This is one of my all-time favourite scents. Definitely not for the faint of heart, it's not suitable for everyone. Extremely concentrated, a little goes a LONG way. A bottle will last me for years. It's a very sexy, sultry smell and I get compliments when wearing it. Beautiful scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2011 8:08:00 AM More reviews by Angiewe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my signature scent. Always return to this when I want to feel sophisticated and empowered. Usually wear at nighttime but sometimes I wear it during the day if I have an important meeting and want a bit of a confidence boost :-)

It is a very strong chypre type of scent - very warm - and I think it's like Marmite (which I hate) and you either love or hate it.

It's not for the clean linen scent brigade or for little girls - it's a full bloodied woman's scent m'lud.

I also love Mitsouko by Guerlain which is also chypre (I think).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2011 9:21:00 PM More reviews by Kabuk1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the absolute worst thing I have ever smelled. It smells like a combination of old lady, dirty hippie, and a funeral home. It is without a doubt THE strongest perfume I've ever smelled too, and I say that as a die-hard Angel lover. Its almost guaranteed to give me a migraine whenever I smell it(I get optical migraines & usually smells DON'T trigger them, but this one sure does). My first experience with this scent was when I was 14. My mom got a sample in a GWP & we both tried it. I immediately became nauseous & dizzy. My mom loved it & proceeded to wear it daily for a long time. This perfume was the bane of my existence all through my teenage years.

I actually forgot about it until today though. I was sniffing around at Ulta, and I saw it on the shelf & decided to try it just to see if they'd improved it or if it might work with my chemistry now. One spritz and I knew I had made a horrible mistake. Within moments I started coughing & sneezing, and my eyes started watering. And after a few minutes, I could TASTE it. I think it seeped into my bloodstream or something. Yeesh, I had forgotten just how bad this stuff really is. I am not a very allergy-prone person, and this is the only perfume I've ever encountered that I'm allergic to.

I'm not trying to be age-discriminating or anything(hell, I love Emeraude, Jean Nate, and Magie Noire), but this is the scent that comes to mind when I think of 'old lady perfume'. Only someone with a dying sense of smell could possibly like this olfactory abortion. Even YOUTH DEW smells better than this, and that is saying something! To get the true impression of this scent, watch the movie Anchorman. Pay special attention to the scene where Brian Fantana tries to score with Veronica Corningstone by dabbing on a cologne called "Sex Panther". The office's reaction when the smell wafts around the office is spot-on to how I feel about this perfume.

To put it bluntly- Aromatics Elixir smells like Bigfoot's dick.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2011 8:27:00 AM More reviews by ChrisLO

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the only modern fragrance I can wear or even smell on someone else without getting a headache and/or nauseous. I've been wearing it for years and each and every time I wear it I receive compliments or am asked "what is that lovely fragrance you're wearing?"

When you first spray it on, it smells terrible. Wait a minute. It will soften and unless you've oversprayed (one or two will do) you won't really notice it at all.

I love layering the spray with the body smoother and when I'm feeling really like pampering myself I also use the bath suds. I think they call it a wash or something like that but it does make great bubbles in the tub. Mmmmmmm.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No