April 17, 2014 | 1981 users online

Fragrances - Clinique - Aromatics Elixir

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2011 1:44:00 PM More reviews by valkyrie81

This is one of my all-time favourite scents. Definitely not for the faint of heart, it's not suitable for everyone. Extremely concentrated, a little goes a LONG way. A bottle will last me for years. It's a very sexy, sultry smell and I get compliments when wearing it. Beautiful scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2011 8:08:00 AM More reviews by Angiewe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my signature scent. Always return to this when I want to feel sophisticated and empowered. Usually wear at nighttime but sometimes I wear it during the day if I have an important meeting and want a bit of a confidence boost :-)

It is a very strong chypre type of scent - very warm - and I think it's like Marmite (which I hate) and you either love or hate it.

It's not for the clean linen scent brigade or for little girls - it's a full bloodied woman's scent m'lud.

I also love Mitsouko by Guerlain which is also chypre (I think).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2011 9:21:00 PM More reviews by Kabuk1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the absolute worst thing I have ever smelled. It smells like a combination of old lady, dirty hippie, and a funeral home. It is without a doubt THE strongest perfume I've ever smelled too, and I say that as a die-hard Angel lover. Its almost guaranteed to give me a migraine whenever I smell it(I get optical migraines & usually smells DON'T trigger them, but this one sure does). My first experience with this scent was when I was 14. My mom got a sample in a GWP & we both tried it. I immediately became nauseous & dizzy. My mom loved it & proceeded to wear it daily for a long time. This perfume was the bane of my existence all through my teenage years.

I actually forgot about it until today though. I was sniffing around at Ulta, and I saw it on the shelf & decided to try it just to see if they'd improved it or if it might work with my chemistry now. One spritz and I knew I had made a horrible mistake. Within moments I started coughing & sneezing, and my eyes started watering. And after a few minutes, I could TASTE it. I think it seeped into my bloodstream or something. Yeesh, I had forgotten just how bad this stuff really is. I am not a very allergy-prone person, and this is the only perfume I've ever encountered that I'm allergic to.

I'm not trying to be age-discriminating or anything(hell, I love Emeraude, Jean Nate, and Magie Noire), but this is the scent that comes to mind when I think of 'old lady perfume'. Only someone with a dying sense of smell could possibly like this olfactory abortion. Even YOUTH DEW smells better than this, and that is saying something! To get the true impression of this scent, watch the movie Anchorman. Pay special attention to the scene where Brian Fantana tries to score with Veronica Corningstone by dabbing on a cologne called "Sex Panther". The office's reaction when the smell wafts around the office is spot-on to how I feel about this perfume.

To put it bluntly- Aromatics Elixir smells like Bigfoot's dick.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2011 8:27:00 AM More reviews by ChrisLO

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the only modern fragrance I can wear or even smell on someone else without getting a headache and/or nauseous. I've been wearing it for years and each and every time I wear it I receive compliments or am asked "what is that lovely fragrance you're wearing?"

When you first spray it on, it smells terrible. Wait a minute. It will soften and unless you've oversprayed (one or two will do) you won't really notice it at all.

I love layering the spray with the body smoother and when I'm feeling really like pampering myself I also use the bath suds. I think they call it a wash or something like that but it does make great bubbles in the tub. Mmmmmmm.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2011 11:19:00 PM More reviews by combatmedicwife

I really, really dislike this one. More than most perfumes I dislike. To me, it's the female equivalent to Gray Flannel.
It's overpowering, and I thought it to be pungent, not at all what I expected by looking at the bottle or the enticing name.
Brand new, it smells to me like a perfume that has 'turned'.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2011 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Lignyca

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I always liked the smell of forest and this beautiful perfume gives me what I need. It relaxes me and I love it so much! It's my favorite and always will be.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 2:06:00 PM More reviews by shalinigupta1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wore this back in the mid 90s and loved it. But then never wore it again till now. I don't know why because it's still as gorgeous as ever. Others can describe the notes better but what is so great about this scent is that it is very different from most of the scents out there. Also, not too many people are wearing this scent so you won't smell yourself coming and going.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2011 6:44:00 PM More reviews by hadas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Composed by perfumer Bernard Chant (who also did Cabochard and Azuree) Clinique's Aromatic Elixir opens with a bracing, polarizing burst of herbs and citrus, which will have the people in your general vicinity either fleeing in abject horror or turning in your direction to face the beast, intrigued. After this medicinal blast begins to die down, which happens very quickly, the prettiest rose emerges on my skin. Incredibly lovely and fairly realistic, it is a growing, blossoming rose at home among the loamy, moist earth from which it sprang, dirtied up as it is by patchouli and oakmoss - but it is dewy and unmistakably floral nevertheless. At this stage it reminds me a lot of a much stronger, (i.e. more detectable) version of "Y" de YSL's drydown. Lovely stuff if you have the chemistry for it and can wait a few minutes for the bitter top notes to fade.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/7/2011 11:13:00 AM More reviews by allureveil

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For years, I didn't get this fragrance at all, but for whatever reason (they changed it? my body switched gears? whatever) I'm going through a real Aromatics Elixir craze. The first time I layered it with the body lotion, I thought it smelled just hideous. Gotta give it dry down time. Now I'm very careful not to hose it on, and am really loving it myself. No reviews from others, pro or con, have come in yet, but if I get any real rant negatives or rave positives, I'll update. The advice to try it on yourself before buying is most appropriate with any chypre, IMHO.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by ella343

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Aromatics Elixir has what I would call, somewhat anachronistically, the Angel effect. It is a blinding epiphany on rare individuals, but many are apt to react in horror. Earth goddess patchouli in full force, quite gritty and brooding unless you've got a taste for it, like muddy, fetid leaf drift. It's only when you apply very sparingly that its other qualities shine: a dense herbal undergrowth of geranium, chamomile, and clary sage, a brightening via rose, the green light of oakmoss, black-leather vetiver, and smoky resinous sandalwood. It only goes to show how varied an olfactory family can be: Chanel Cristalle captures an intense, arid luminosity, while the elegant YSL Y is a languid green glow, but Aromatics Elixir is an essay on dirt. It's not a meaty, animalic darkness, but quite mineral, with a little vegetable accent. The result is quite stark, almost a hippie 70s cliché, which is perhaps not exactly in tune with Clinique's clinical pretensions, but it remains one of the more unusual in the battalion of commercial offerings, neither floral nor sweet, but wild, dark, and earthy.

It smells horrible on my skin, but I've definitely encountered it on the right person, and it's simply marvelous.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No