Clinique Aromatics Elixir

3.0

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I love this perfume. It isn't for the faint of heart. It's too strong for summer and spring, so I only wear this in the fall and winter. Every year I look forward to being able to use this again.

This is my signature Autumn/winter scent and I have worn it for nearly 40 years! I absolutely always get compliments and people asking what it is. I disagree it is similar to Chanel number 5 (which I loathe). I don't think you can compare it to anything. It is a league of its own. Couldn't wear it in the summer though - it would be just wrong.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Bought this online - took a chance after hearing such lovely reviews.
How wrong was I! I often purchase fragrances without previously smelling them, and most are ok. But this one on me is awful! It reminds me of antiques, powder, people born in 1910, and those old fragrance envelopes that my nan keeps in the sock drawer.
I must admit, it's staying scent is great. Lasts for ages. And it does suit some people. Just not me, my friends, or family.
I remember a customer at work smelled so lovely, and when I asked her, she told me it was Aromatics Elixir. She was the only person I've met that made it smell good!

simply said- THE BEST OF THE BEST!!!
the ultimate fougere/aromatic/aldechyde/green/herbal potion there is....
I can't find the words to describe this miracle and I'm kinda glad it has a week grades on almost every reviewers site, because you've gotta love this one...o hate it to the very last molecule...!
entchanted forrest,damp and calming herbs, plushy vetyver, bitter but oh,so deep and wise...this perfume has a soul on his own and isn't compearable with any other..
and the drydown.......!!!you can smell it for days on your clothing, on your skin,it kinda makes you want to dive into the world with japanese calmness and bond with the nature while the resto of the world runs for unimportant things...
pure zen, pure sillage killer and pure HG for me!!!
and on the right person,it feel so grounded,so mature, so at peace with yourself...this should be a psychotherapy stuff for sure!
and a very important thing- AE YOU DON'T PUT LIKE A REGULAR PERFUME ON PULSE POINTS!You spritz it all over your body like a mist, as the body temperature savours the scent and makes it one with your skin....

(ella 343 - respect, you've found the words I was lacking!!:D)

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Egad. I tried this in Sephora and was, for the first time, just plain appalled. Who on earth wants to smell like this? I couldn't detect any particular top notes, just dirty vase water, cold cigarette butts and the smell of tomatoes once they've started to mold and turn slimy. I really, truly don't get this one.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I adore Aromatics Elixir and I always will. I can appreciate why people don't like it, but I love this scent. I do not have a signature scent but if I had to go to a world where only 5 scents could live on my shelf, this would be one of them. This is a scent that I never get tired of, and one that always shows me something new. AE has a richness and depth that most perfumes lack. I've never smelled anything like Aromatics, and most other modern scents seem to pale in comparison.

Then again, the more perfume I smell, the more my nose seems to like scents formulated well before even the 1990's...

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I've lost count of how many times I've picked this up and put it down . I love chypres, woods, greens, 'difficult' scents, but whenever I tested it previously it was just TOO '1982 6th-grade hippie art teacher' (no offence, mine was fantastic). Just totally not me. Still, it's an important reference scent so I picked up the 25ml. at a yard sale for $5. Lo and behold if I don't love it. A TINY bit on one arm, spread around, and after at least half an hour.
It's beautifully dense and tightly-packed, like fur or pine needles, and it is most definitely a fall and winter scent. Sometimes it turns into a classy rose-soap. Mysterious, and it keeps unfolding and changing.
If you don't have an unpleasant scent-memory with this one, give it another shot. It's good to have your mind changed.

You either love this, or hate it. This one is definitely NOT for me - instant headache. I find this overpowering and cloying. I once got a free sample that made my bag stink for months, so it's got staying power. Bleugh.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Clinique - Aromatics Elixir, is a woodsy, oakmossy, white jasmine, chamomile and patchouli strong "pungent" scent, which is definitely not for the faint of heart, because it's extremely concentrated.

When you first spray it on, (one or two spritz will do) it smells
"intoxicantingly" strong, non-sweet, but after a few minutes, it will soften into a powdery, soapy, "Super Clean" aromatics scent (unless you overspray too much, in that case, you WILL need some oxygen!),
But this this is very classical "mature" scent, which will get you lots of compliments everywhere you go, because no one can forget you wearing it and it for a long, long time...even till a few days later!

There is another scent that could be a dupe "designer perfume" for this one called: Royal Platinum 04 Beautiful Eau de Parfum.

Let me be clear that I absolutely love this perfume - having said that, I TOTALLY get why people think it stinks. In the bottle or freshly sprayed, it is abysmal. It was not always this way - I first bought Aromatics Elixir in Europe, and it smelled to me like the most sensual incense even in the bottle. Since then (That was in 1997), perhaps something has changed with the the formulation. If I was to just smell it in the bottle now, I would never wear it - it smells like someone in a lab threw out a bad batch of synthetic roses and patchouli, no kidding.

However, the magic of this perfume is what it does once it hits your skin. Like all perfumes, it goes through a series of changes and winds up at its drydown. Aromatics Elixir is pretty amazing once it does its thing. For me, it goes through a very green, chypre stage, a patchouli-driven phase, a delicious exotic incense stage, and eventually, a woodsy, almost powdery (but think about the powdery residue left in bags of incense, not like baby powder) stage. It is an autumnal scent to me. I have been told it smells glorious on me, but NO ONE has said anything good to me about this fragrance if they picked it up off of my dresser and just sniffed at it; it has to be worn, and maybe it is one of those that can only be worn by certain people & not others.

One more thing - a little goes a long way, trust. Do not bathe in this perfume or people will begin to ask who has been spraying for roaches.

Popular Fragrances