July 28, 2014 | 1175 users online

Makeup Brushes - E.L.F. - Total Face Brush

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 9/3/2012 10:52:00 PM More reviews by Junwwu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This brush is very stiff and scratchy! It feels like coconut fiber rubbing on my face! However it did apply my powder blush and other powders, it just did it in the most uncomfortable way ever. It was only a buck, so I guess there's not much room for complaints, but it really is very scratchy. I guess if you're really strapped for cash and need something to apply powdery make-up with this will be pretty functional. Just don't expect any softness.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2012 7:54:00 PM More reviews by FlyLikeAG6

I wear liquid foundation and use this brush for a light dusting of powder. This brush is perfect just for that. I've had this one for about a year and it has held up very well - minimal shedding, no loose handle, etc. I take very good care of my brushes and since I only use this one lightly, I clean/shampoo it every week and so far, so good. The hairs on my brush have become softer with each cleaning. They're still not the softest, but for $1.00, what do you expect? I can see how you would give this brush low marks if attempting to use it for a heavier coverage with a powder foundation, though. It won't pick up a lot of product. If you need a face brush that applies a good amount of powder, I recommend spending the extra two bucks on the ELF Studio Powder Brush. But for me and my uses, this brush works just fine.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2012 7:43:00 PM More reviews by kikidoll27

No. Just...no. It's pokey and scratchy, and sheds like no other. I'm glad I got it for a dollar. It takes off my foundation if I try to set it with powder...I just don't like it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2012 2:09:00 AM More reviews by FlauntYourBeauty4

First off I wouldn't buy it again because it is a brush and I take very good care of them, I love this brush in the summer.It does not hold as much product as the regular powder brush so I can quickly dust powder on because I have Combination Skin. The only con is that it is scratchy and pokey. When I washed it for the first time it got SUPER Fluffy In which I loved <3

rated 3 of 5 on 7/31/2012 8:48:00 PM More reviews by AmandaRose83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this brush on a whim.

The Good: I don't use it with products. It works well with blending in powder and dusting off excess.

The Bad: it sheds like crazy!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/31/2012 8:19:00 PM More reviews by white05mustang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this just to try out the regular vs. studio brushes. It doesn't hold product and it sheds. Buy the E.L.F. studio brushes. They are awesome.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2012 6:29:00 AM More reviews by Matillyrose

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like that this brush only costs a dollar.

I like that it comes with a brush guard.

But that's about it because as Total Face Brush its not much good.

I don't like the feel of this against my face and the bristles feel too long or it just isn't thick enough to stay together like a good brush should.

Applying product is not easy because the brush doesn't pick up enough to spread consistently.

ELF products are a hit and miss affair, this is definitely a miss.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2012 5:51:00 AM More reviews by yellowrice

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Where I come from, make-up and make-up brushes are enormously expensive. So I thought I'd give the brushes from ELF a go, since they are way cheaper than any brush lines in my country.

Unlike many other reviews it's gotten here on MUA, I didn't find this brush horribly scratchy etc. I've tried worse, trust me. Brushes from "drugstores" (not 'certified' stores, they just sell stuff like drugstores) from China are NO-NO. I once bought a brush, with the same colour as this ELF total face brush (red), it was scratchy, itched on my face whenever I used it, didn't pick up the colours very well, had a LOT of fall outs.... And it also leaked colour when I washed it. A lot. All the times I washed it.

Since I've tried this brush (I've only used it twice so far), I can definitely say that this brush is GOOD - when you look at the price, that is. It does leak red colour when washing, but the bristles are quite soft. I would say it is a dense brush, but ofc not as dense as kabuki brushes. When I got the brush it kind of had a weird packaged smell. Didn't smell nice. But brushed aren't really for smelling anyway.

Overall I would not recommend this brush though. It works fine with me, since it is so cheap. But because of the colour leaking I wouldn't buy it again. If you're fine with the leaking, this brush would be a nice buy. For 1 dollar (where I live 2,5 dollars - perhaps because of taxes) it's a good brush. And it does pick up a fine amount of pigment.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2012 1:29:00 PM More reviews by cleo_satsweet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Awful just awful. I bought this since my local dollarama carried this for a while. This is scratchy, doesnt pick up products...does nothing.
We cannot get elf in Canada so I just pick up some of the studio line products while in US. I am not sure why anyone would purchase these since for 2$ more you can get the studio line brushes which are awesome btw

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2012 2:55:00 AM More reviews by rarityfalls

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

The second that I bought this brush and took it out of the packaging, the handle broke off. Which was a bummer. But it was easily glued back on, so that was okay.

I personally love this brush. It picks up so much product regardless of what it is. I don't use this as my main powder or bronzer brush. I use this as a blush brush. This is for when I want a sweeped on, colorful color to my cheeks. I love it.

I don't get all the complaints with this brush. I don't notice any smell. I love the color of the bristles. And hey, sometimes bristles shed. As long as it's not too often, I'm okay. I haven't noticed any bristles shedding out of this brush though.

I have high end brushes and inexpensive brushes, and yet this ranks at the top for me. I respect the negative reviews, but if you're on the fence about this brush, take my advice and just buy it.

A. It's a stellar brush. Great design, great color, great application. (The only issue is how the handle broke off, but I just got a bad one)

B. It's only one dollar! At least that's how much I paid. A pack of gum is more expensive.

So take a shot at this brush. If you love it, awesome. You just saved yourself from shelling out mega bucks on the same brush for 40 dollars by a different brand. But hey, if it's not your style, it's cool. It's only a dollar.