Lancome Hypnose Waterproof

3.7

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Okay, I love this mascara. I love the length and volume it gives plus it is really waterproof -- I've tested it the last few weeks at the gym and for other heavy sweat inducing activities with success. I don't find that it clumps any more than any other mascara I have used. I also like that it dries quickly without smudging. Occasionally, I have to comb out my left eyelashes since I am right handed and therefore I apply with the wand backwards. I think the tube is a bit bulky but I can deal since I like the formula so much. A winner in my book.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This was a fantastic mascara. It barely smudged (which is great compared to the other ones I have tried e.g. red earth and maybelline). it delivers on its waterproof promise. I actually used it for prom and afterward I didn't end up with raccoon eyes at all :D
However I would not repurchase this product for everyday use because it is so expensive (I think it was $30 CAD), but again it is a great product

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was my HG for about 5 tubes until I started experimenting with diff tubes of drugstore brands.
I like that this was true to it's waterproof claims. It stayed put and never ever ever smuged and it held my curls all day long. It also delivered what it promised in terms of volume.
But! after buying some drugstore brand waterproof mascara (esp cover girl) I realized that lancome's hypnose waterproof was really flaky. I also found that the tube would dry up really fast which was a shame because these are like close to 30 dollars after tax in Canada.
It's not a bad mascara, and it delivers on waterproof and volume but I found that cover girl's lash blast in waterproof (yes the wand is too big, and yes it's annoying) is just as good if not better (the formula is better, the wand is awful) because it doesn't flake and get crusty on my lashes like hypnose waterproof does.
But I'd still buy it again when I get bored with other brands as it was my first love and it did give me pretty good volume!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This has been my HG for years. It's a bit expensive, but I haven't found anything cheaper that lasts like this mascara. I'm a photographer, so I need mascara that holds well since I'm constantly pressing my eye against the viewfinder while squinting with my other eye. It holds the curl well, and does not smudge, no matter the circumstances.
However, it is tricky to apply. When I apply straight out of the tube on curled lashes, it's clumping madness and it's so goopy it ends up all over my eyelids. It took me a while to figure it out, but this is what works for me:
- Curl lashes
- Tap outer wand on tissue - do not wipe wand as you will lose too much mascara (this will avoid most of the goopy mess)
- Look up and apply mascara from the base of the lashes outwards, while pressing gently against the lashes
- Wipe off any mess around the eye with a q-tip while mascara is still wet
- Quickly brush lashes with a clean mascara brush while mascara is still setting and apply mild pressure (this curls the lashes even more, helps hold the curl, separates the lashes and removes all clumps)

Granted, it takes time and effort to apply like this, but it's so worth it.

Also, the only thing that will remove this completely is Lancome's Bi-Facil remover.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have been using Hypnose waterproof in black for the past few weeks and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. I normally do not purchase HE mascara but after MF Volume Couture WP was gone from my local stores I was on the prowl for a good waterproof volumizing mascara. Hypnose has a relatively small-ish wand and the formula feels very light on my lashes, even after layering. I am very impressed with how well this mascara layers -- it is easy to go from a natural look to a very full, dramatic look simply by adding more. I have not had problems with clumps or flaking even when adding multiple layers; in fact, I barely need to use my lash comb after applying Hypnose. It also holds a curl really well, which is certainly something I expect of a waterproof mascara. I think the black could be a little darker but it is definitely not grey and since I have auburn hair this is still plenty dark. I really like the drying time for Hypnose -- it is not so short that it dries between layers but it is not one of those mascaras that stays wet (and thus transfer-prone) for a long time after you finish your eye makeup. Hypnose stays on all day and still looks great 16+ hours after application. It is a little tough to remove but taking a few extra moments to let Ponds Cold Cream or Bi-Facil dissolve it helps a lot. I will update my review if this mascara dries out early or if the formula changes texture but so far so good! At this point I would definitely repurchase Hypnose even with the high price tag.

i personally thought that this mascara didnt help me at all.
i curled my lashes first, then apply this mascara and the lashes just lost the curls.
it was still wet on my lashes, i waited and tried to curl again but it didnt hold my curls at all.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm completely rewriting my review of this as I just don't know what's going on with this stuff. I've been using this alternated with Virtuose for about 4 years, but this time around I'm just not loving it at all for so many reasons. The product comes out so gloopy I have to scrape tonnes off everytime I use it - it's like no excess is being removed at all and if I don't scrape it all off, I end up with as much on my lid as my lashes.

Now this tube has been open about 3 weeks it's glooped up to the max; I've had to completely change how I apply the product, by applying it on the tip of my lash (about 3/4 of the way down) then using a clean dry virtuose brush to apply it the rest of the way. This method actually gives a gorgeous natural look, like I've just had my lashes tinted blue/black and have a gloss on, but that's it - no thickness (which is what I used to this mascara for), no length and frankly a pain in the patootie having to double brush for every application.

The next issue I have with this, is that all of a sudden it's impossible to remove. I've always used the waterproof version of this and had no problem getting it off. For the couple of weeks with this tube I was having to apply 2-3 removers and use a strong hand to remove this product, causing my lashes to become brittle feeling and my skin irritated. This has improved a little with the lighter application I've been doing, but I'm still having to do a lot more than I'd like to, to get it all off.

Finally, I'm now sure that either the product, or the excessive cleaning is causing my eyes to become dry and irritated. Within a couple of minutes of applying this every morning I start to feel that I have something in my eye and by the time I'm at work I've got sore, blooodshot eyes. Similar in the evening after I've cleansed, I'm having to use eyedrops to make my eyes comfortable.

I don't know whether they've changed the formula, or I just have a bad tube, but this is the last time I'm going near this product and what is left in the tube (which is a great big gloopy lot) is going in the bin. It's a shame because I've loved this mascara until now, but it's not worth the $60NZD to try it again.

I did not like this product. It didnt do anything for my lashes but clump them a bit.. It states that it is waterproof however it still smudged for me! And I only applied them to the upper lashes (not lower). I have tried many other non-waterproof mascaras and they did not smudge as fast.
I did a low rating for the price as it was expense (it is high end) but it was not a great product.

However I heard that the original formula (hypnose mascara) works amazing. Same with hypnose drama. This formula just did not work for me

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This product HOLDS. A. CURL!!!!!

Holding a curl is the most important for me because I have limp, short "Asian" lashes. I've been using this for the past 3 months and now when I don't use it, I feel self-conscious because this makes my eyes really pop! It lifts my lashes and makes my eyes open up bigger.

It's true that this waterproof mascara makes your lashes hard, but I think that's why it holds a curl so well. It is also kind of dry and clumpy when you wait too long in between coats. I have cried a few times wearing this, but it held up pretty well. I have also accidentally rubbed my lashes but this doesn't smear much - it just flakes off a little when that happens. If you don't touch your lashes though, no little flakes will come off onto your face during the day.

If I sleep with this on overnight, my lashes are still a little hard when I wake up in the morning. Also, I will have panda eyes when I wake up. However, if I just go regularly throughout the day, this barely smudges at all. I usually wear this for 10 hours during the day.

About the brush: It's... okay.

I put that I wouldn't buy this product again only because it's so expensive. I really like it though.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used this for my wedding day as I wanted a waterproof mascara that wouldn't smudge, flake or give me panda eyes. I normally wear glasses but wanted to wear contacts for my big day, but that usually means my eyes get dry and sore and I end up rubbing/smudging my mascara. This mascara was fantatsic, better than my YSL false lash (faux cils) mascara which I thought was my HG mascara. It lengthened my lashes, glided on beautifully and made my eyes look amazing. The mascara didn't flake and didn't smudge until I took my contacts out very late in the evening. It withstood tears and me blinking/rubbing my eyes throughout the day. The only bad thing I can say about this product is the price, but it was worth it for my big day!

Popular Mascaras