January 31, 2015 | 1004 users online

Shampoo - Redken - Color Extend Shampoo

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2011 2:03:00 AM More reviews by Neume

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ugh, I'm so on the fence about this...here's the rundown:

MY HAIR: Coarse, thick, but very strong. I recently lightened it from my natural dark brown/almost black to a light sunkissed golden brown. My stylist did not use bleach, but a permanent color to lift the levels of my hair.

PACKAGING: Simple, squeeze tube with a flip cap. Have yet to travel with it so I don't know if it spills.

MY ROUTINE: Ever since I got my hair colored, I try to wash it as little as possible. I have an oily scalp, so I'll wash every third day, and use dry shampoo for the second day (Salon Grafix Dry Shampoo)

RESULTS: Ok, my color looks great, which is why I continue to use this (that and I refuse to throw anything away). However, the condition of my hair is not so great. It makes my already coarse hair feel even more dry and brittle, almost like rough plastic! I have found that this is relieved somewhat by the conditioner, which I have to let sit for at least 3 minutes to get ok results. It makes me hate washing my hair b/c it feels so stripped of moisture. After I shower I'm dying to load up my ends with leave-in conditioner and smoothing serums. My ends look come out dry and frizzy whenever I wash my hair with this.

OVERALL: While my color is vibrant, I don't think I'll repurchase because of how stripping it feels. I really should've known this - I have never ever had good experiences with anything by Redken (I've tried a couple of their styling products too). I absolutely love Pureology but it's almost double what this costs...but I'm now thinking that it's very much worth it.

UPDATE: This gave me the WORST dandruff of my life. My scalp has been sooo itchy and dry ever since I was using this. I was trying to use it up because I hate wasting, but I'm now 2/3rds of the way in and I just can't take it anymore. I scrubbed my hair with Head N' Shoulders, and my scalp feels SOO much better! Worst shampoo ever - colored hair or not :'(

rated 2 of 5 on 5/5/2011 5:27:00 PM More reviews by mariaoleary

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Meh, I should have stuck to drugstore shampoo. It dried out my hair and I did not see any difference in keeping my color longer, plus the scent was just plain. I wish I had not bought the giant size bottle at Ulta b/c now I feel forced to finish it even though I hate it. I think over time I have learned that these color saving shampoos do very little in actually extending the life of your haircolor. Something sulfate free would do just as much b/c that is usually what truly strips the color from your hair ( or so I hear).

Update 07/27/11
Still trying to finish up the rets of this bottle. What a piece of crap, I am going back to drugstore once I am done.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/18/2011 9:19:00 PM More reviews by hnrenfro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

this shampoo does a good job but it has DMDM hydantoin in it high up on the ingredient list which is FORMALDEHYDE!!! which is terrible for you do nott purchase this product, kerestase bain mirror is much better at maintaning color

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2011 2:01:00 PM More reviews by baby_grazi_x05

Kinda pricey, but I'll do whatever it takes to give my unapologetically red lowlights a fighting chance. Smells good, not overpowering. Keeps my hair fresh for a couple of days so I don't have to wash every day which would also fade my color.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2011 9:13:00 PM More reviews by barby81

I have used this shampoo bout 3 times have to say its awesome. My hair was really dry and damaged and this shampoo made my hair feel so much softer will definately buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2011 3:14:00 PM More reviews by missmindy

Great shampoo for colored hair, moisturizes while keeping long lasting color for your hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2011 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Jexka

This is one of my favorite shampoos. I bought this in a 1000 mL container with the 1000 mL conditioner as a sale pack. I have used this almost every day for 6 months and I still have about 1/4 of the product left. The smell isn't special -- smells like pretty much every other Redken shampoo/conditioner, but it's not a big deal to me.
This shampoo really does the job for me. In the 6 months I've been using it, I have had my hair professionally colored and I have colored it with box color. (For reference, I color my very dirty blonde hair a medium-platinum blonde.) No matter what I color my hair with, this shampoo keeps the color from fading. It is also a very creamy and moisturizing shampoo, but it doesn't make my hair oily, which is my biggest problem with most shampoos. It also really removes all the oil from my hair (another problem for me) so that my hair is fresh and clean after washing.
One of my favorite things about Color Extend is that it removes the baby powder I use in my hair when it gets oily. I haven't found a good dry shampoo, so I pat baby powder onto my roots when I need to. I have found that after I do this, other shampoos don't lather well & sometimes it takes up to 3 or 4 lathers before my hair is actually clean, which is ridiculous. (It's not like I use a whole bottle of powder on my roots). Color Extend lathers up perfectly no matter what is in my hair, and gets all residue and oil out. Yes, this is a bit pricey, but I haven't found a cheaper shampoo that can do a better job than this, so I'm willing to splurge on this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2011 10:41:00 PM More reviews by bisco

I use this every other day, on my red hair. Atm, I'm conditioning more, since my hair is dry... BUT this is a great shampoo. In return, I also use the conditioner. If I were to use drugstore again, this color I have, would have been gone already. Total via my salon, both cost me 28 dollors. Kind of pricey, but well worth it, since it also leaves my hair tangle free and smelling lovely.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/20/2011 9:57:00 PM More reviews by cyntriago

I've been coloring my hair for about 5 years now. I've always been on the look for a color-treated hair shampoo that will keep my hair color looking fresh longer. This shampoo is NOT it. I decided to try this shampoo per the recommendation from Allure magazine, having given it the best shampoo for color treated hair award last year. Boy, were they wrong!!! It leaves my hair stringy, dry and tangled if I don't use the conditioner. With the conditioner it leaves my hair oily and limp. SO basically there is no winning with this product. Disappointing...on to the next one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2011 1:53:00 PM More reviews by xleahcarx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like this shampoo. It smells kind of like baby powder though which I personally don't mind. It keeps color from fading. It also make my hair feel nice and clean.