MAC Fluidline Eyeliner Gel Macroviolet

Admired the violet lined look and splurged on this one! It's not worth it.

Disappointed because...

... it seems to melt and become a smokey eyed look.

...the violet color isn't vivid enough!

...it was a waste of money.

...application of it was tricky.

Heard Bobbi Brown has a purple or violet liner but will have to check here to find out the reviews.

on 12/28/2009 9:56:00 PM

I had been wanting this for a while. So I finally bought it. And I tried it on a few times and I was disappointed. It's a beautiful violet color in the pot, but when applied, it's a bit climpy and dry and the color is not the same, so I returned it.

on 12/27/2009 12:27:00 PM

This is my first fluidline and i am really impressed. I have several gel liners and this one feel so different to the others. It is so soft and glides on like a dream. I dont think anyone will struggle applying this!
The colour is lovely but you do need to apply 2 coats to get the purple to really show. Staying power is excellent as it doesnt move intil i remove it.

on 9/23/2009 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Overall it's great. The color on the pot is a nice purple with reddish undertones. But when I apply it, you can barely distinguish the purple. Mostly it looks black unless you're under a bright light. No repurchase because I'd rather use blacktrack and this macroviolet will last me a decade.

on 9/13/2009 8:22:00 AM

I normally like the fluidline colors, but this one isn't for me. I found that when I apply it, it goes on clumpy, cakes and cracks very easily, which is a big disappointmet. The color is very dark and you can only tell that it is a violet in very bright light. Not at all what I was looking for.

on 8/17/2009 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

This is a very lovely dark, reddish purple with pearl shimmer to it. The consistency is great, very smooth and soft -incredibly easy to use. It stays on all day long and isn't a pain to remove.
-I apply it using the bent Sonia Kashuk e/l brush and remove it with Neutrogena's Makeup-Remover wipes.
Macroviolet actually reminds me very much of HIP's "Eggplant" cream liner. There is a little bit of difference in the shade and the shimmer, but I doubt it would be all that noticeable once on your lid. It also looks very similar to various liquid liners such as Almay's "Amethyst", Palladio's "Lavender", and Prestige's dark purple liner -which appears to have no name.

I wouldn't say I'd 'never' buy this product again, but since there are so many other drug store dupes, I don't see the point in having an extra or spending the outrageous amount of money for it.

But still, a very lovely product and definitely worth trying if you like this particular shade.

Update:
I recently discovered that this shade looks exactly like Bobbi Brown's "Violet Ink" Long-Wear Gel Liner.
Here's a pic. I took of the two side-by-side:

And swatches:
-the top purple is the BB Long-Wear gel liner, the bottom is MAC's "Macroviolet" Fluidline.

continued >>

on 7/28/2009 9:06:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a lovely plummy violet color with a tiny bit of sheen. Not only is it a gorgeous color, it's fabulous quality. I LOVE this product. Great pigmentation, great staying power, decent price, applies easily... I can't really think of any negatives to this product. I use my ecotools angled e/l brush and it works great.

Heck, I even want to buy it in every color! HG product for me.

on 7/10/2009 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This color is VERY nice! I barely use purple eyeshadow but I love the little pink shimmer in the gel.

on 7/3/2009 2:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is a very nice, subtle color to do some winged eyeliner or just define your eye shape in general. Works very well with green eyes. I find that the gel -- in application -- can be messy before it dries, so you have to have a very exact hand.

on 6/9/2009 9:34:00 AM

I really like this gel eyeliner. I am very pale ( CN 15) and on me it looks just like in the pot so I think it depend's on your skin color. I use 210 brush but I might also buy 266 brush.

Top Rated MAC Products