C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve

4.3

Petrolatum, Lanolin oil, squalane, jojoba esters, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, cotton seed oil, octyldodecanol, bisabolol, red 20 lake (CI 73360).

on 2/9/2013 1:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

i have passed this tin up for years based on the really nasty looking samplers out at bbw- it just looks like overpriced pink petroleum jelly.
but then i recently read the ingredients, and after the petroleum comes lanolin and squalane, two respectable emollients, so i bought, still not expecting much. this has saved my eternally dehydrated cracked lips and hands this winter like nothing else. it truly is a treatment for dry cracked skin, not just a cover-up. usually my cuticles are ragged and torn all winter, but not now. and my lips still feel moisturized even after the salve has worn off. the rose smell is divine, and more foody, less flowery.
the tin package is an enormous pita that i struggle to open. the lid is very tough to pull off and usually must wedge a nail all around the rim to nudge it up and off. hate it so much that i am going to depot it into something with a screw top.

on 2/6/2013 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

it's SO HARD TO OPEN. i honestly can't even say how much i like it because i haven't been able to open it enough times to use it regularly enough to SAY whether this has had a profound impact on my lips.

I LOVE this lip balm. i got this about a month ago at bath and body works and have used it every day sense! All my other lip moisturizers were not working but this one definitely did the trick. there is nothing bad to say about it at all. GO BUY THIS PRODUCT! YOU WONT BE DISAPOINTED!

I'm the type of girl who buys a lip balm a week and never uses it... anyways, i was picking up some candles at bath and body works and i saw this little pink tin. obviously, i couldn't resist. i didnt think i would honestly use it that much, since it comes in a tin. BOY, WAS I WRONG. this is my most used lip product and has been for the past 3 weeks. i've made quite the dent. my favorite part is the scent, and i absolutely love the texture. on my lips, it's slick (but not slippery) and SO smooth. i don't particularly like rose scents but i love this one. it's a nice change from my usual fruity, teeny-bopper lip scents! love love love this. highly recommend it.

I love this product!!!! AHHHH it's amazing. Yes, it's a little thick, but it moisturizing amazingly well.
The packaging peeves me, though, the twist-off lid is often hard to open. But the product inside is pure gold! I apply it on my lips, my elbows, dry patches on my face, my cuticles, anywhere and everywhere I need moisture. It's great for airplanes!!

Product wise I love it, the formula is great as it moisturized my lips fairly well though it's not AMAZING. Though it makes my lips feel soft, after a while it does wear off and doesn't last quite a while as I would like it to. I do adore about how it can be used for so many purposes as I have used it to moisturize my cuticles. I absolutely adore the packaging. I love how vintage it looks and it's very convenient having it in a tin (so I also don't lose it as easily as I would with other lip balms). The product is a little pricey but it does contain quite a lot. I probably would end up buying this product again but I do have other lip balms I would prefer (aka Burt's Bees).

on 1/1/2013 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This was recommended to me by a lot of friends who seemed to love this multipurpose product. I bought it at BBW during one of their deals so it wasn't too bad but it is still pretty pricey at $6.50 CAD for a lipbalm.
Given that it has so much product and so multipurpose I can try to justify the price.
It is a light clear consistency and absorbs pretty quickly on the lips. It works amazing under a lipstick because it doesn't interfere with the colour payoff or application of the lipstick.

It gives the lips a nice smooth texture without being oily or too slippery. It has a nice scent not reminding me of anything rose related but it is light.
It can be used on men/women alike and I like it but it's not a necessity for me. I prefer my Blistex medicated lip balm but it ruins the application of my lipsticks so this is my go-to base/lip primer.

on 12/28/2012 12:24:00 PM

I LOOOOOVE how this smells. It smells like rose and cotton candy to me. It moisturizes really well and makes my lips smooth and shiny. The packaging is cute but not the most convenient.

on 11/23/2012 2:31:00 AM

Sephora ran out of the Smith's Rosebud Salve so I headed straight to Bath & Body Works to get this baby. B&BW had a "Buy Two Get Another One Free" promotion and I took advantage.

It applies identical to the Smith's version but has a slightly sweeter smell. It feels nice on my lips too and keeps them lubricated which is exactly what I expect from this. I really like it and am grateful it was there when Sephora let me down. It's Sephora's loss!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This product is cute, I like the kitschy-vintage packaging. The tin doesn't bother me nor strike me as unsanitary because I don't use it on my lips often.

The smell is alright, I don't mind it although I find it a bit strong. Is it supposed to smell like roses? Because to me it smells a little caramel-y too. Like, a floral caramel...?

Anyway, the consistency is a little thinner than Vaseline's. I don't use this on my lips, but on my cuticles/knuckles/nails/dry spots, and it does the job for a few hours during the day before I have to reapply. It absorbs fairly quickly and leaves a nice sheen.

When I do use it on my lips, it temporarily softens them, but I don't feel the product hydrating them. It just feels like it sits there lightly.

I'd repurchase, though I'm curious how Smith's stacks up.

Popular Lip Treatments