July 31, 2014 | 1909 users online

Lip Treatments - Laura Mercier - lip silk

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2006 6:59:00 AM More reviews by marytylermoore

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This removes any lip flakes overnight and is a totally wonderous lip treatment!

If you ever have dry lips, just try this.

It was so good that I probably didn't need to buy it after trying it in the store!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2006 1:56:00 AM More reviews by candy_hunter

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This isn't like any other lip stuff. It has acids that help you exfoliate your lips. I usually apply Rosebud to my lips every night before bed, but I'm not always a good girl. Sometimes I go for 2 days without anything on my lips, then they start chapping and bleeding. That's when I sneak into Nordstrom and slather some on my lips. It gets rid of 80% of those ugly evil flakes within 3-4 hours after application, and leaves my lips so soft. I don't own one because 1)it's $20 2)I only need it VERY VERY occasionally 3)there's always a LM counter around :D

However, I did recommend this to my cousin who's a makeup artist, because it is the bestest emergency lip saver for those naughty models who didn't moisturize their lips and went to her with chappy dry lips.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2006 5:41:00 PM More reviews by triciat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my HG lip balm...keeps lips so smooth, silky and moisturized! Well worth the price!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2006 5:56:00 PM More reviews by Pistolina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Buy this or die!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2006 7:59:00 PM More reviews by chgoeditor

Lip Silk is more than just a lip balm, it also contains exfoliants (not granualar exfoliants like a scrub, but ingredients such as glycolic acid and salicylic acid that naturally exfoliate the skin). This lip balm feels very smooth and rich (but not slippery) as it goes on, but that's not surprising because the main active ingredient is dimethicone (the stuff that's in a lot of your hair products to make your hair shiny, less frizzy and more smooth). You do find dimethicone in other lip balms.

I really love how this feels on my lips, and the conditioning properties, but because it's expensive (US$20), I use it about once a day, and stick to less expensive balms the rest of the time. I agree with other posters that the packaging leaves a little to be desired...it's a very thick balm, which makes it difficult to squeeze out of the tube, and the tube lacks a true applicator tip. But a little goes a long way.

Despite the expense, I think Lip Silk is a better balm than some others (Fresh's Sugar) that are similarly priced. I'll probably buy it again, but I still have a lot left in my first tube.

I hate balms that are flavored or scented, and I don't think Lip Silk has a noticeable flavor/scent.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2005 2:41:00 AM More reviews by kandy_rocks

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my favorite lip balm for daytime use. I love how it melts into my lips, it's creamy texture and how I can apply lipstick and or gloss on top without it slipping all over the place. Most lip balms are too slick or shiny for me to accomplish this feat lol! I really don't know if it exfoliates lips or not because I use Aquaphor or Neutrogena Overnight Lip Treatment every night and I seldom have a problem with dry or chapped lips anymore. Never thought I would be able to say that :D! I don't care for the $20.00 price and I don't have access to a Laura Mercier counter, so I buy mine off ebay. That's actually how I discovered it. I bought a skincare starter kit five years ago and this is the only product that I've repurchased again & again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2005 10:52:00 AM More reviews by Scout12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great primer under lipsticks and glosses for dry easily chapped lips! Smoothes the lip surface also without having to use some scruffing or peeling product. It has a kind of exfoliating agent in it that makes your lips perform their best. Virtually scent and taste free too for those sensitive to that. I don't use it every day though since I find it can have a drying effect on the lips if you over-exfoliate in spite it's a very moisturizing balm. With moderate use I have never experienced any problems.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2005 3:58:00 AM More reviews by wombat

This comes in a 11grams squeeze tube, perfect size for pockets,packaging looks hygeinic but impractical, since it is quite hard in texture and the tube seems to about to burst whenever i try to squeeze it. Maybe if they elongate the tube packaging and make it less wide it'll be easier to have less air inside, making it so hard to squeeze. It retails for a ridiculous $35~45AUD in australia (forgot exact price). But the $18USD retail in USA is quite reasonable for this balm.

Ok, here is what I have tried, I have occasionally peeling, dry cracked lips, they are not the worst, but finding a good everyday lipbalm is so hard. I have: Prada lipbalm (tinted and untined), Kiehls #1, MMU lipbalm, Mentholatum softlips, lipice, lipgel, Smith's rosebud, Perfumeria gal, Neutrogena lip conditioner, Nuxe honey lipbalm, H2O+, Body shop borne lippy, Carmex, Lucas Paw Paw ointment, EA 8hr cream.... Honest you name it and I probably have it stacked away somewhere. And this really cures dry lips faster than any of them. If you really ask me to compare the effects of this balm, i think it's most similar to Lucas paw paw (since it contains exfoliating enzymes), and probably prada lipbalm.

Lip silk works so fast, clears flakies and dryness almost within 3 hrs of application. Great for an overnight treatment, the effect lasts all day (I wore it last night and for the whole day today, I didn't have to apply any lipbalms!). The exfoliating property is from alpha hydroxy acids. The texture is like the thick carmex lipbalm, but once on the fingers and touches the lips, it melts really quickly which requires no rubbing (unlike Nuxe honey lipbalm). The best thing is I also find there's no strong discernable taste or scent or smell to this, which is what a great daily lipbalm you can use forever really should be. continued >>

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2005 10:45:00 PM More reviews by jamilaz

I have been using this product for years. It really works for dry lips. I have it in my purse always!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2005 11:21:00 PM More reviews by andycobbdds

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

can't say anything negative..love it love it love it from la mer to la prairie...this is the very best.