August 20, 2014 | 1905 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Anti-Shine Compact [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 2 of 5 on 9/5/2005 3:48:00 PM More reviews by EsGal

When I first saw this, I thought my prayers have been answered. I have oily skin, and am simply tired of having to carry powder around since I'm a rough girl, and the powder usually cracks before I can finish the compact. The packaging is simply adorable. The compact is a small black box with separate compartment for the sponge and content along with a mirror. The sponge is a think piece of black foam, which I found a bit cheap-looking, though not a major concern for me. The content is a solid white block, which I'm sure won't crack like powder, even if dropped on the floor. This thing does most of the shine away, while leaving the skin with a subtle sheen. However, I personally prefer a matted complexion. Also, this does not keep the shine away. Almost within an hour, I would fine my skin shinny again. Lastly, this thing builds on your skin. I scratched my face after applying and some of it got stuck in my nails. I've only used for 3 days and will be returning it soon.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2005 3:00:00 AM More reviews by Clare_3108

This is a good product for eliminating shine, it takes it away almost immediately. Problem is it does not keep it away. Overall the product has very smary packaging and lasts absolutely ages but, I don't think it does the job all that well. I now use Mineral Veil by Bare Escentuals which though a slightly different product does the job even better.

I don't think I would buy this one again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2005 1:14:00 AM More reviews by kewpeydoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a great product and lasts a long time. A little goes a long way. It is not meant to go under foundation as a previous reviewer used it. Instead, it is meant to be used in place of powder and blotters. Dab on your oily areas when you need a touch-up. It is invisible on the skin. Once I touch up, it lasts all day. My little pan has lasted a year. No caking like powder and no residue like blotters. A must have for your purse!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/13/2005 1:56:00 PM More reviews by terremisu

I have pretty oily skin and this did an okay job of absorbing the oils on my face, but my face still had a shine afterwards. I have to touch-up every couple of hours as well. The packaging is really cute and discrete. People are always fascinated by the minature size. Product application is very smooth and it leaves my skin smooth too. I wouldn't buy this again though because it's pretty expensive for something that's just okay. I'll just stick to oil blotting papers.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2005 1:38:00 PM More reviews by KateJ

I am so surprised by all the bad reviews!! This stuff is HG. It comes in a super-cute teeny-tiny compact, with a separate compartment for the sponge AND a mirror. The product itself is a clear, white colour. It is *very important* that when applying the product, you *dab* it on, or else you may smudge your makeup. When applied correctly, this little cutie absorbs oil without adding any weight or removing foundation. What more can you ask for? **BOTTOMLINE** A great product for absorbing oil without adding weight.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2005 11:31:00 PM More reviews by glossgal_01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I got this mainly because of the cute little black compact. It's tiny enough to toss in your purse without extra clutter. I have normal to combo skin and this is great for touching up my nose throughout the day. I doubt this would really work for someone with an oilier skintype. I used to have really oily skin and there are better products suited for that. I would use this product as a touch-up only product since there is very little product in the compact and the sponge gets caked up too fast. I find I have to wash the sponge after each use, otherwise it's just caked with face makeup along with the product. I wouldn't buy again because I can get the same effect from a blotting powder.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2004 11:35:00 AM More reviews by rubberduck

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I found this to actually increase the amount of shine on my face when used under foundation. It looked like an oil slick by noon! Horrible and not recommended.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/8/2004 10:14:00 PM More reviews by 25cent

I love Smashbox, but I despise this product. It doesn't work AT ALL. It doesn't take away any shine, or prevent shine and I'm not that oily (combo tending to dry). Do not recommend.**EDIT**THIS PRODUCT SUCKS, BROKE ME OUT AND DOESN'T DO WHAT IT SAYS, AVOID!!**

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2004 2:42:00 PM More reviews by carekate

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Having tried so many different high-end mattifers and oil absorbers over the years that I can't even recall all their names, I'm here to tell you that I've finally found the holy grail of all holy grails -- and you won't believe the brand name: PHILIPS MILK OF MAGNESIA, Original flavor.

Seriously! While checking out all of the MUA reviews of mattifiers, I saw a tip buried in one of the posters (sorry, I don't remember who made the suggestion or what product it was posted under!) saying that you could seriously reduce/control oil production by applying a mask of MofM a couple times per week, and you could get additional benefits by applying a thin layer (VERY thin!!!) before you put on your makeup.

So three days ago, I tried doing both. For the first time in my entire life I haven't had to blot my face by 9am. In fact, it's now 2pm and I still haven't had to blot yet today. This is utterly amazing and I simply had to spread the news!!!

So ladies -- save your money on all the useless products and go get yourself a bottle of laxative. Hey, if Hollywood starlets can apply "Preparation H" hemmoroid (sp!) ointment to their wrinkles around their eyes, why not???

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2004 8:28:00 PM More reviews by jaiyanne21

I used to use neutrogena's shine control gel and smashbox's anti-shine is soooo much better (i have the neutral, colorless one). My skin is very oily, esp around the t-zone, and this keeps the oil at bay far longer than any powder or mattifier I've tried!