Sebastian Potion 9

4.1

Water, Glycerin, Guarhydroxypropyltrimonumchloride, Jojoba Seed Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth-10, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Fragrance, Panthenol, Imdazoudinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Amodimethicone, Polysorbate 60, Propylparaben, Olive Fruit Oil, Orbigyna Olefera Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Disodium EDTA, Stearalkonum Chloride, Sesame Seed Oil, Ethyl Hexyl Methoxycinnamate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Tetrasodium EDTA, Rice Bran Oil, Citric Acid, Orange 4, Camellia Sinesis Extract, Willow Bark Extract, Ext. Violet 2, Red 40 (2012 formula)

on 7/25/2010 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I bought this product a few years ago when I had straight hair. I tried using it as a leave in treatment/conditioner to heat style my hair and did not find that it did much. It had too little hold for my thick asian hair and did not give me the body I was looking for. I recently permed my hair into loose waves and this is the only product I've tried to far that has been able to tame my hair into non-frizzy wavy tresses. I put a loonie-sized (slightly bigger than a quarter for all you non-Canadians) dollop and apply it to damp hair and then diffuse it while scrunching (I have pretty thick long hair just past my bra line). It can get a bit crisp in parts if you don't work it through well, but if you do it right, you will eliminate frizz and have very touchable hair.

on 7/20/2010 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Its a sin, never have tried this, as a educated hairdresser, but today i did.

And yes, they are right, this is heaven sent!

on 7/5/2010 5:38:00 AM

I have bleached hair and I use this product every time I wash my hair (even though you are not supposed to). I love how it holds my hair in a shape without making it feel stiff. If it feels stiff it generally means you've put too much in.

Also, once it is dry, if I brush it out, it is so soft and smooth. I would not say that it repairs split ends, but it definitely helps to hydrate and prevent them. The container also lasts a long time, so you are getting value for money.

on 6/14/2010 1:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The packaging is now much better than the metal tube it came out of. I would put up with the inconvenience and mess of the old metal tube because of how much I love this stuff. It's a weird orange color and has a interesting (don't love it or hate it smell) which does go away. It gives my really straight hair some texture and waves if needed because it gives flexible hold without being crunchy or gross.

Update: My bf asked me where to buy this since he admitted to stealing some from me and liking it!

I actually found this at Marshalls for dirt cheap and decided to try it for the botanicals and the awesome smell. Boy am i glad i did...it really made my hair feel super healthy but not greasy and oily. I think this is another lifelong relationship!

on 5/17/2010 10:02:00 AM

I have been using this off and on for years. It does a fine job keeping the ends of my long-ish hair split-free. A little goes a long way; a container (any size) lasts pretty long. It's not greasy, sticky, smelly, gooey. A darn good product that does what it claims to.

on 5/12/2010 6:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I really love this product, but it takes some getting used to. If you do, however, the reward is soft, managable, volumised hair with great shine!

The smell is a little odd, but it doesn't stay, so Im not too bothered.

I use a walnut-sized amount and distribute it evenly in my 60 cm wet hair from root to tips. Then I comb it and blowdry and this makes the blowdrying quicker and hair a lot more manageable, like you have just been to the salon. It adds bounce and body to my hair whilst smoothing out frizzy ends. It makes hair shinier and a LOT softer, too.

The only product that beats this is the Kerastase Ciment Thermique and this is almost as good, but Kerastase feels just a tad lighter in my hair, so thats still my favourite. I imagine this would be fabulous on naturally curly hair, though!

on 4/29/2010 3:03:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Hi, first time reviewer here. I cannot speak highly enough of this product. I have naturally curly and soft, yet thick hair. Sebastian Potion no 9 is the only product I have found that actually calms and manages my hair without weighing it down or making it look oily. My hair looks frizzy on top, and the curls tend to look unruly down the lengths unless I use some kind of product. I have tried numerous other frizz easers and leave in conditioners, this is the only one that works, and I also find that for my hair it works as a nourisher for the ends. I hate it when my hair feels "stiff", however with Potion no 9, you only need a small amount for all of your hair, and this won´t be a problem. With this one my curls can bounce wihout looking fuzzy, and my hair looks healthier! I always have an extra in my cabinet, and would freak if they discontinued this product.

on 4/27/2010 2:14:00 PM

Potion 9 is a weird product but pretty darn good!

At first, it didn't really make sence to me as a styling product as it's not heat protecting or very volumizing, and so I used it as a leave in conditioner more than anything, a quite averege leave in to be honest.

As time went by, it begun to act diffrent, the more I used it, the better it was, the more moisturized my hair got, I begun to be able to use it as blow drying lotion and to add shine, it behaved like a totally diffrent product.
It made my hair soft, but not slippy, smooth, yet added texture.
It moisturized, added shine and left a great, longlasting smell of papaya.

I give it a 4, and with that said, it's a clear 5 after months of daily usage, and an very averege 2 in the beginning.
This product is complicated but I like it!

on 2/8/2010 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I can see why people either love or hate this product. I now have long fine wavy/curly hair and I never heat-style my hair (very rarely and the stylist does that post-trim). About 2-3 times a week, I use only Potion 9 as my styling product after rinsing my hair in the shower. I only wash (shampoo) about 2-3 times/wk, as anything more is overly drying to my curly hair. You have to figure out the RIGHT amount to use of this product, otherwise your dry hair will look greasy (dirty). On a similar note, everyone's raving about Biosilk products and I tried the infamous serum and in the trash it went--ugh! I used a tiny bit but it dried my hair out so bad, it was awful. But some people swear by it. I love how Potion 9 makes my waves soft, shiny and very healthy. I comb it in when my hair's damp, let it air-dry; when my hair's almost dry, I twist it up into a "messy" chignon and later when it's completely dry, I let my hair down into pretty and soft loose waves. (i get tons of compliments and people think I used hot rollers).

Popular Styling Products