September 3, 2014 | 1326 users online

Moisturizers - Clinique - Superdefense SPF 25 Age Defense Moisturizer

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2010 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Bonnerka

I like the fact that it has a decent SPF, but the cream feels greasy and the smell it's rather unpleasant. It is probably quite efficient in protecting and moisturising the skin, but I didn't feel comfortable using it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2010 11:55:00 AM More reviews by ml176

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really love this stuff. I purchased a jar years ago and liked it, but I am always wanting to try new things. Recently, I received this as a gift with purchase, and fell in love all over again. First, you feel like the SPF 25 is really good for protecting your skin. Then, the moisturizing qualities felt really good on my skin, which is fairly normal, sometimes bordering on dry. My plan is to use this in colder months, when my skin gets really dry, and use my Olay Complete for warmer months when my skin is more normal.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/11/2010 5:19:00 AM More reviews by tlloveswj

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have extremely dry skin in the fall/winter and I'm oily in my t-zone during late spring/summer. I also have extmreley sensitive skin.

I hated this product.

It left my face greasy without actually calming my dry skin. Imagine what I looked like--greasy and still had visible dry skin. It also clogged my pores wickedly--blackheads everywhere--and I had to discontinue use immediately as it broke me out pretty badly.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2010 11:11:00 PM More reviews by mandy117

I really like the results I have been getting with this product. I use the version for dry/combination skin. As concerned as I am about negative environmental effects on my skin, I was mainly drawn to its promise of combating the effects of emotional stress on skin. Emotional stress seems to be my biggest problem. Under-eye circles and breakouts occur the millisecond something stressful crosses my mind. I hate hormones! Anyway, this keeps my skin in good condition with minimal breakouts. I also love the SPF factor (SPF 25 is higher than what a lot of other moisturizers give you). I think it's pretty expensive at $45, especially for Clinique (and I worked at Macy's at the time and had an employee discount), but if you ever want a GWP, a PWP, or a fantastic lightweight moisturizer with good SPF that is great to your skin, this is it.

*Note: I am editing this review. I love this moisturizer! It is the perfect consistency. Again, I'm sad it's so pricey, but it really is worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2010 1:13:00 PM More reviews by bodina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

even though i loved this cream its very light and is instantly absorbed , perfect for my combo skin i have decided to stop using it because it contains OXYBENZONE a not so healthy sunscreen. Sorry but when i read this at the bottom of the jar i decided to stop using it. Sorry clinique.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2010 5:32:00 AM More reviews by Danoon

I really wanted to like this product! On the outside it looks perfect, dry/combo, spf 25, anti-aging and all that. The first thing I noticed was the smell.. it smells like tea tree oil mixed with sun screen! But hey, if it works, it's fine, so I tried it. It stung when I applied it. In the afternoon my skin was already feeling very tight, although I had a kindof greasy layer still on my skin...
..But my skin looked better, less lines, more smooth.. and after a week the tightness started to get better.. so I continued.
It is now 1,5 weeks later and I am starting to have a huge breakout everywhere on my cheeks (I never have breakouts!). Bottom line: this is not working for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2010 11:47:00 PM More reviews by cherrybombVIXEN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff saved my face. As im getting oldermy skin changed. I have combo skin (dry-combo). I was looking for something that helped with signs of aging as well as keep my dry spots moisturized and my ioly pots under control.I use it morning and at night. I have always used moisture surge (pink one) but was told by the women at the counter that is more for an "instant" moisture boost and isnt meant to retain moisture. So she reccomened this! NO BREAKS OUTS! skin looks dewey and healthy...my face is healing from previous blemishes. No more dry flaky areas, keeps my oiliness at bay! Love this stuff. Wish it had a pump for a more sanitary application. But overall wonderful product. Oh yeah! and price is kind of steep but worth every penny.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2010 6:12:00 AM More reviews by kittyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

To JoCD: I also got the line that you have to use this product in top of the 3-step skin care program, ie on top of the Dramatically Different ML. The DDML, I was told, hydrates the skin and 'regulates the pH of the skin' (or some such) but the SuperDefense has a whole lot of other benefits. (It was hardly a great advert for the DDML.) Anyway, I tried using both and found that my skin was not too happy. It felt heavy and over-moisturised, especially as the SuperDefense has quite a thick texture. Surely just one is enough, I thought. Probably Clinique is just trying to make more money out of me by selling me two products instead of one.

So I stopped, and now just use SuperDefense by itself (after the clarifying lotion), and save the DDML as an occasional night moisturiser. I like the SuperDefense, although whether or not it has any anti-ageing effect remains to be seen, as you say. I do appreciate its SPF benefit, which obviously the DDML does not have. And I like Clinique because of the fragrance-free aspect. I have nearly finished the sample I got at the Clinique counter, and I will probably buy a new jar. But I'll get it online. Where I live Clinique products bought over the counter are much more expensive than in the US and this one, in particular, is quite spendy. (Clinique has unbelievable cheek to charge its non-US customers so much.)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/1/2010 12:57:00 PM More reviews by JoCD

I am confused by Clinique skincare products. Clinique says you need to use this after the 3-step and this means you have to use two moisturisers. I would be interested if anybody does this and what people's thoughts on this are. I have only tried this when it was given as part of a GWP. like the fact it has an SPF25 and it makes many attractive anti-ageing claims, but I think only time would tell if it works. The fact that you are meant to use it after 3-step puts me off buying it and I find it a very expensive combination. I will probably stick to Estee Lauder's Daywear Plus, which means I only have to use one moisturiser.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2010 11:14:00 PM More reviews by riyeu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is one of the best moisturizers I've ever tried. I have the dry combination and it doesn't make my skin oily, even after 8+ hours of wear. It has SPF25 (which is higher than the usual SPF15 that most moisturizers have) but the consistency is not heavy when applied. In fact, it applies very smooth. There's no scent as with all Clinique products. Only issue I have is it comes in a jar, which isn't very sanitary or travel-friendly. The price is a bit steep too, $46 CAD for 50 ml for i think it's worth it.

Update: At first I loved using this cream but half way through the jar, I've noticed that it stings my face upon application and causes my face to turn red. I think my skin has become allergic to this cream. I will not be repurchasing this and have switched to Kiehls Ultra Facial Moisturizer, the consistency of which I prefer more and more importantly, it does not irritate my skin.