Aveda Inner Light Dual Foundation

on 8/8/2008 7:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

UPDATE (2012-02-17): BOYCOTTING RE. CURRENT ANIMAL TESTING FOR CHINESE MARKET

UPDATE: SKIN IRRITATED. What follows still stands, except I turn out to react to tourmaline (alas, in several Aveda products). Badly. Skin now recovering. This stuff is definitely still a lovely shade and texture, and worth passing on, and trying out. But the rating has to go down from 5 to 3.

The search for good foundation is officially now over.

010/Cream is one of the few shades that are actually suitable for pale skin. Properly neutrally pale - most very pale tones are too yellow, and some too pink. Doesn't oxidise and go orange, on me anyway. Just looks skin-coloured. The only other one I've found that does this - and in a similar texture, and with no irritation - is Clarins Compact Express in 01, except the shades start with 03 where I live (err, yes, that's in Ireland, where there are many pasty people - what were the marketing people thinking???)

Whatever you do, don't apply it dry like a pressed powder.* Apply wet. Whether with the accompanying sponge, or any other similar microcellular sponge (the Clinique/Origins kind), or a softer brush (like the Body Shop or Muji ones). Can be used for dabbing on individual discrepancies (aka spots) as a concealer. The result is a fine, light finish, smooth, barely perceptible, and excellent over sunscreen and/or primer.

Best of all, no irritations on this otherwise sensitive skin. No oilies, no drying out, no breakouts. Also, talc-free, if that's a concern (my skin certainly seems happier without it).

Fragranced ingredients are listed, and fragrance is mentioned on Aveda's website, but barely discernible. You really have to shove your nose right into the pan and snuffle deeply to get anything. No detectable fragrance once on face (checked by SO kiss). And nothing like the heavy, heady Chanel, Bourjois, some Lancome, etc.

Like other Aveda products, no animal testing, people-tested, and all very green and nice.

Packaged in a metal pan, with a microcellular sponge, inside a small plastic closeable sleeve. Could be put into any of the Aveda magnetised compacts, or any other similar ones available (seen them in Mac too); but I find the plastic sleeve to be fine - I'm not using this very much or often.

Expensive: EUR 32.50 / GBP 20.50 / USD much less... But worth it, to find, at long last, a fairly readily available foundation that does everything I require of it. Aaaaah.

INGREDIENTS: mica, dimethicone, silica, zinc stearate, squalane, rice starch, magnesium myristate, murumuru butter, Japanese knotweed root extract, tourmaline, malachite, soybean oil, tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate, methicone, sodium dehydroacetate, fragrance, linalool, limonene, geraniol, citronellol, methylparaben, propylparaben, [ ± titanium dioxide (ci 77891), ultramarines (ci 77007), iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499) ]

* That having been said: it can also be used dry *for very light touch-ups* - and indeed the ingredients are nearly the same as Aveda's pressed powder (one single difference: silica and zinc stearate swap places). But this should be done with a very very very light hand indeed. The pressed powder weirdly works better at this. I don't understand it myself. Also, it's a bit hard to use this wet then dry, as it takes most of a day (minimum!) to dry out in the pan. So the double technique isn't going to be much use if you need to touch things up every couple of hours (mind you, I'm not sure the Dual would be appropriate for oilier skin). continued >>

on 7/11/2008 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This was recommended by my stylist of five years who I trust and has a good make-up sense. That being said, I have found that it needs to be applied c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y meaning with a light touch or you will have a mask on your face as I guess some other MUAers have experienced.

I apply it over sunscreen. I use a mineral sunscreen which needs something so I don't look greasy. I do find this lasts all day unless I touch my face with tissues, napkins, or whatever.

I have naturally rosy cheeks and usually don't bother with blush but I need it with this product because it has some real coverage to it.

Like most Aveda products, it doesn't rock my world but it isn't too bad. I think the service in the stores is excellent (at least in mine) and they'll take back products. I really dislike department store make-up counters and the rows of packaged products in the drug stores, feel too old for Sephora and Ulta, and have gotten burned way too many times when buying over the internet. So the whole Aveda process works for me.

I do think the whole shopping experience influences my product scores.

This product seems to work for me for now. If you dislike the confusion of it all, seek out an experienced Aveda salesperson or manager. They'll identify a couple of decent products and you won't feel like you've been had.

on 6/14/2008 7:04:00 PM

Do not purchase this awful product. I have never looked as bad as I did when I put the Cream color on my face. It hides my skin so much that I look like I've dipped my face in liquid paper. Worst of all, it is deceptive. You apply a bit at first and it covers well, but within an hour it gets whiter and whiter. I wore it at a special event because it was recommended to me by an idiot makeup artist who pitched it as great for summer weddings because of how well it stays on even in heat and humidity, and how convenient the little box is. Yeah sure it stays on, like an ugly pasty mask. Wouldda done better to have gone without makeup. The biggest, most embarrassing mistake of my life, because I must live forever with the photos of this event looking like a vampiress or a dead clown.
Stay away from Aveda Inner Light Dual Foundation. Seriously.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Pulled this out the other day. I generally wear this when my skin is at an inbetween funk. I don't wear any foundation during summer as my skin is an oils slick, and I always get enough color that my foundation doesn't match and I refuse to wear two or three colors. This does a good job of covering any blemishes or redness. Makes even my slightly imperfect skin look awesome. I love the refillable compact, as it is easy to change. I hate having two or three compacts when my skin needs change. The colors work for me which is nice, as some have said they have a limited range. Have used at least two of these refills up, and will continue to use.

on 4/23/2008 5:38:00 PM

My current foundation fav! Gosh I love this stuff.

1. beautiful coverage w/o being too heavy, however I do not use this for touch-ups during the day. it's a foundation, not a touch-up powder. i have oily, acne prone skin and this is all the coverage I need.
2. wonderful staying power
3. goes on like a dream - silky, smooth, exceptionally blendable.

The inner light comes from these tiny sparkle particles that you cannot see on your skin unless you are in direct light and even then they are quite subtle. I am a PPP and use the Aster shade, which is -02. I don't think $20 is too much for this stuff. It will easily last you 3-4 months and it's definitely superior in quality to anything you could buy from the drugstore. Highly recommeded!!

on 3/5/2008 9:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

PROS: 1) very convenient to carry around (please note: the case is purchased separately. The case is sturdy. The mirror reflects perfectly.) 2) high medium to low full coverage when used dry, 3) quick and easy to apply (please note: I use my own sponge instead of the aveda one.) 4) excellent quality! (see detailed explanation below)

CONS: 1) limited color range to choose from, and the shades tend to be on the pinkish side when freshly applied, 2) each pan costs $20.50 plus tax which is quite costly for such a tiny pan.

For 8 years I used MAC StudioFix. (Please see my review on StudioFix if you find this one helpful.) I have recently switched to Aveda Inner Light Dual Foundation powder. So far so good.

I am C25 or NC25 on MAC. I use 02 Astor and 03 Linen on Aveda Dual. My skin is very oily. Come with my age are some very fine lines, uneven skin tone, scars, and some brown and red spots on my face :(

Aveda Dual Foundation powder has amazing color staying power! They for sure do not change into an orangish color at all. When freshly applied, Astor and Linen do tend to be on the pinkish side, so they are not an exact match to my light yellow tone skin. However, after a couple of hours since first application both Astor and Linen would turn into a creamy light beigh color which then match a lot better to my yellow skin tone. Personally, I do not mind so much about the pinkish or light beigh pale look because I definitely prefer that to an orange face. In both Astor and Linen, certainly there's not enough yellow in them, so if you are looking for a very yellow-based foundation, these 2 color choices would not deliver the color result.

Aveda Dual Foundation powder has amazing matte staying power, too! The powder does not melt on my very oily skin. In fact, I see a lot less oil floating on my skin now compared to before when I used MAC StudioFix. Touch-up, however, is required when using Aveda Dual. Caking at the chin and nose areas do occur. Oil and shine do break through at T-zone and on cheeks but not overwhelmingly serious. Thus, I would suggest tissue off only the caked and oily areas, and then re-apply and blend in Aveda Dual where needed. No need for an entire foundation re-do. Note: avoid applying Aveda Dual at under-eye area IF you have tiny fine lines there. The powder do exaggerate these fine lines. Instead, use a hydrating type undereye concealer at your delicate under-eye area.

Hope this is helpful. Thanks for reading :)

Since struggling to find a foundation that will work with my acne prone skin, I finally found a solution that does not cause breakouts and it is aveda's innerlight dual foundation! Despite how pricey it is, I will spend the money as long as it keeps working on my skin. I have been using it for about 4 weeks now so I will report later if anything happens to change! I do find it covers better using a different brush to apply it.

on 1/14/2008 11:59:00 AM

I used this foundation for my wedding, layered on top of Aveda's Inner Light Tinted Moisturizer. It looked beautiful for my wedding.... pics turned out great! My skin is definitely a lot worse now than it was then, and I'm a lot whiter (i must confess, i went to the beds to tan), so I moved on to other brands/lines of foundation (as it was difficult for me to find a match for my pale skin).... but it was an ok foundation for the most part. Just ok.

on 1/14/2008 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This product looked very nice on me. It has good, natural-looking coverage in a very flattering shade (Aster). Unfortunately, it made me itch and break out (pimples) a little. I have to say, though, that every foundation I have tried except for Jane Iredale's old formulation irritates my skin and/or makes me break out, so I can't judge it too harshly for giving me a bad reaction. I think it's worth a try for those whose skin isn't as finicky as mine.

on 11/23/2007 7:44:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I am a neutral-toned, natural redhead with rosacea and very oily skin. This is the only foundation I have ever found that is a good color match, that doesn't turn orange. (Supposedly redheads have a more acidic body chemistry--so everything oxidizes on us.)

This doesn't sink into my pores. It doesn't itch. It lasts about six hours before it needs touching up. It also doesn't break me out.

However, you have to know how to apply it. Applied dry, it makes my skin very dry. Applied with a dampened and then squeezed out sponge, it creates a light, non-drying film that looks airbrushed. (I think it's got oil in it that when mixed with water, creates an oil and water emulsion which keeps some of the moisture next to the skin.)

I have tried tons of other foundations, but this is the only one that I would ever repurchase. It's awesome

Edit: Wow, do I not want to be writing this: Something in this makes me break out. I actually have an acne scar I didn't have before I started using this, and I'm 38!--it's kind of strange; I think it causes breakouts, but then they don't get very bad because the other minerals in this have a healing effect. The overall consequence is that it leaves you slightly broken out all the time. Try Neutrogena pressed mineral powder instead.