April 20, 2014 | 1618 users online

Powder - Aveda - Inner Light Dual Foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 6/14/2008 7:04:00 PM More reviews by whitneyanne

Do not purchase this awful product. I have never looked as bad as I did when I put the Cream color on my face. It hides my skin so much that I look like I've dipped my face in liquid paper. Worst of all, it is deceptive. You apply a bit at first and it covers well, but within an hour it gets whiter and whiter. I wore it at a special event because it was recommended to me by an idiot makeup artist who pitched it as great for summer weddings because of how well it stays on even in heat and humidity, and how convenient the little box is. Yeah sure it stays on, like an ugly pasty mask. Wouldda done better to have gone without makeup. The biggest, most embarrassing mistake of my life, because I must live forever with the photos of this event looking like a vampiress or a dead clown.
Stay away from Aveda Inner Light Dual Foundation. Seriously.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2008 9:00:00 PM More reviews by princessgracie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pulled this out the other day. I generally wear this when my skin is at an inbetween funk. I don't wear any foundation during summer as my skin is an oils slick, and I always get enough color that my foundation doesn't match and I refuse to wear two or three colors. This does a good job of covering any blemishes or redness. Makes even my slightly imperfect skin look awesome. I love the refillable compact, as it is easy to change. I hate having two or three compacts when my skin needs change. The colors work for me which is nice, as some have said they have a limited range. Have used at least two of these refills up, and will continue to use.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2008 5:38:00 PM More reviews by minc

My current foundation fav! Gosh I love this stuff.

1. beautiful coverage w/o being too heavy, however I do not use this for touch-ups during the day. it's a foundation, not a touch-up powder. i have oily, acne prone skin and this is all the coverage I need.
2. wonderful staying power
3. goes on like a dream - silky, smooth, exceptionally blendable.

The inner light comes from these tiny sparkle particles that you cannot see on your skin unless you are in direct light and even then they are quite subtle. I am a PPP and use the Aster shade, which is -02. I don't think $20 is too much for this stuff. It will easily last you 3-4 months and it's definitely superior in quality to anything you could buy from the drugstore. Highly recommeded!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2008 9:43:00 PM More reviews by lbfsf

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

PROS: 1) very convenient to carry around (please note: the case is purchased separately. The case is sturdy. The mirror reflects perfectly.) 2) high medium to low full coverage when used dry, 3) quick and easy to apply (please note: I use my own sponge instead of the aveda one.) 4) excellent quality! (see detailed explanation below)

CONS: 1) limited color range to choose from, and the shades tend to be on the pinkish side when freshly applied, 2) each pan costs $20.50 plus tax which is quite costly for such a tiny pan.

For 8 years I used MAC StudioFix. (Please see my review on StudioFix if you find this one helpful.) I have recently switched to Aveda Inner Light Dual Foundation powder. So far so good.

I am C25 or NC25 on MAC. I use 02 Astor and 03 Linen on Aveda Dual. My skin is very oily. Come with my age are some very fine lines, uneven skin tone, scars, and some brown and red spots on my face :(

Aveda Dual Foundation powder has amazing color staying power! They for sure do not change into an orangish color at all. When freshly applied, Astor and Linen do tend to be on the pinkish side, so they are not an exact match to my light yellow tone skin. However, after a couple of hours since first application both Astor and Linen would turn into a creamy light beigh color which then match a lot better to my yellow skin tone. Personally, I do not mind so much about the pinkish or light beigh pale look because I definitely prefer that to an orange face. In both Astor and Linen, certainly there's not enough yellow in them, so if you are looking for a very yellow-based foundation, these 2 color choices would not deliver the color result.

Aveda Dual Foundation powder has amazing matte staying power, too! The powder does not melt on my very oily skin. In fact, I see a lot less oil floating on my skin now compared to before when I used MAC StudioFix. Touch-up, however, is required when using Aveda Dual. Caking at the chin and nose areas do occur. Oil and shine do break through at T-zone and on cheeks but not overwhelmingly serious. Thus, I would suggest tissue off only the caked and oily areas, and then re-apply and blend in Aveda Dual where needed. No need for an entire foundation re-do. Note: avoid applying Aveda Dual at under-eye area IF you have tiny fine lines there. The powder do exaggerate these fine lines. Instead, use a hydrating type undereye concealer at your delicate under-eye area.

Hope this is helpful. Thanks for reading :)

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2008 7:36:00 PM More reviews by horsejewels1001

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Since struggling to find a foundation that will work with my acne prone skin, I finally found a solution that does not cause breakouts and it is aveda's innerlight dual foundation! Despite how pricey it is, I will spend the money as long as it keeps working on my skin. I have been using it for about 4 weeks now so I will report later if anything happens to change! I do find it covers better using a different brush to apply it.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2008 11:59:00 AM More reviews by carabara84

I used this foundation for my wedding, layered on top of Aveda's Inner Light Tinted Moisturizer. It looked beautiful for my wedding.... pics turned out great! My skin is definitely a lot worse now than it was then, and I'm a lot whiter (i must confess, i went to the beds to tan), so I moved on to other brands/lines of foundation (as it was difficult for me to find a match for my pale skin).... but it was an ok foundation for the most part. Just ok.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2008 12:29:00 AM More reviews by faffner

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product looked very nice on me. It has good, natural-looking coverage in a very flattering shade (Aster). Unfortunately, it made me itch and break out (pimples) a little. I have to say, though, that every foundation I have tried except for Jane Iredale's old formulation irritates my skin and/or makes me break out, so I can't judge it too harshly for giving me a bad reaction. I think it's worth a try for those whose skin isn't as finicky as mine.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2007 7:44:00 PM More reviews by lisamims1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am a neutral-toned, natural redhead with rosacea and very oily skin. This is the only foundation I have ever found that is a good color match, that doesn't turn orange. (Supposedly redheads have a more acidic body chemistry--so everything oxidizes on us.)

This doesn't sink into my pores. It doesn't itch. It lasts about six hours before it needs touching up. It also doesn't break me out.

However, you have to know how to apply it. Applied dry, it makes my skin very dry. Applied with a dampened and then squeezed out sponge, it creates a light, non-drying film that looks airbrushed. (I think it's got oil in it that when mixed with water, creates an oil and water emulsion which keeps some of the moisture next to the skin.)

I have tried tons of other foundations, but this is the only one that I would ever repurchase. It's awesome

Edit: Wow, do I not want to be writing this: Something in this makes me break out. I actually have an acne scar I didn't have before I started using this, and I'm 38!--it's kind of strange; I think it causes breakouts, but then they don't get very bad because the other minerals in this have a healing effect. The overall consequence is that it leaves you slightly broken out all the time. Try Neutrogena pressed mineral powder instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2007 8:10:00 AM More reviews by SheaAvril6

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My favorite foundation ever!

I have very oily/acne prone skin, and since I started using this, it takes me a lot longer to get oily and has improved my acne. It goes on like nothing and has, in my opinion, a great coverage. However, I would NOT reccommend using the sponge applicator that comes with it. I use a kabuki brush from BE, and it works great!

It's a little pricey for how fast I go through it (maybe one every month/month and a half), but for how much I love it, I don't mind shelling out the cash.

You can buy a seperate compact to keep the foundation in, but it's not even worth it. I just keep it in the little plastic box and it works great for me.

(Also - if you ever need a primer under this and aren't sure what to use (because it's a powder foundation), use BE's Prime Time. A combination of these two, and you won't see shine for the entire day/night).

UPDATE: I decided to try some other foundations and have as of yet found NOTHING that compares to this, high end or drugstore. This is my HG and the best foundation I have found for oily skin and still the coverage is the best.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/21/2007 1:44:00 PM More reviews by 0ubliette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I bought this on recommendation when I decided that the color discrepancy with my beloved MUFE Duo Mat was just too much to take (the lightest shade was just too pink/orange for my very neutral, pale skin). So far, I like it. The lightest shade, cream, is a perfect match, it goes on very smoothly, and it feels like nothing on my face. At first, I was concerned that it didn't have enough coverage as I was applying it, but when I finished and walked outside to look at the result in natural light, I was pleased to find that it provides a true lighter-medium coverage. So far, it has not turned orange, sunk into fine lines or pores. I will report back if it does. I have found that it does go shiny a little faster than the other powder foundations I have tried (excluding Studio Fix and mark. Powder Buff). This may be due to the spf, so I guess it's a trade-off depending on your priorities. If you have any considerable dark spots or redness, you will need an additional concealer, but overall, this is a good product. However, I don't foresee buying this again due to the considerable price for a fairly small pan of product (and the fact that you have to buy the compact separately. I appreciate that this is in an effort to reduce waste, but it makes an already expensive foundation even pricier). I also would have liked a little more coverage; at least it looked natural. So far, I prefer this product to the mark. Powder Buff, but may continue to purchase Powder Buff because of how expensive this stuff is.
After my fifth or so time wearing it, I did notice some breakouts on my face, but I'm not certain if I can attribute them to this foundation.