September 20, 2014 | 1768 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 1 of 5 on 5/18/2013 7:59:00 AM More reviews by girlraven

I smelt this on tester in David jones and nearly yacked on the spot!, and my bf agreed it was horrid, this tops my list of the worst smelling perfume I have ever smelt. Yuck

rated 1 of 5 on 5/13/2013 8:56:00 AM More reviews by kikulicious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

As one of the world's favourite scents, I've had many encounters with this perfume - of course I have. It was one of the first to use aldehydes - a game changer. And it was supposed to smell clean, and yet have a touch of sexiness, thus rendering it able to bridge the gap between overly flowery perfumes, and the kinky ones used by those of the "demi-mondaine".

When I tried a spray of it my boyfriend told me (after I tried convincing him that it smelled awesome) that I smelled like a soapy papertowel - you know the kinds you get at cheap chinese restaurants?
And I agree - I smelled like cheap soap even after a long time. After getting a second opinion to confirm that the perfume did NOT smell good, I've decided to not purchase it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2013 4:27:00 PM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had this perfume years ago, unfortunately a guy I was going out with snitched it from me. (Hope he pays in heaven or hell for this someday!) Anyhoo, although I loved it I didn't love it enough to buy it again, so I've never used it since. I didn't expect to like it, I don't usually like the things everyone else does. But I had tried it on and it smelt just SO GOOD. I can't quite remember now, but I remember that it was sophisticated and made you smell like you had good taste, and it was a bit sweet but not very much, just a touch. I also remember that it turned out to be not as expensive as I had expected considering how famous it is. It was very strong, so you only need a drop or two, so the cheapest bottle will last you forever (if someone doesn't steal it from you).

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by sillage

I have never ever EVER liked Chanel #5 -- not ever -- not any formulation, and I've tried each and every one of them.

I currently own (and have for years!) Chanel #5 in EDP, EDT, Sensual Elixir, Eau Premiere. All struck out. There's some kind of musty, dusty, murky quality in the base (like a basement) -- and I don't like that quality -- and I can smell it in every formulation, even Eau Premiere.

Chanel #5 is just not for me -- never has been, never will be -- I don't really know why. And it's the best-selling perfume of all time -- go figure. I must be missing something!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2013 11:12:00 AM More reviews by IceCheerMom

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Would I buy this again? Mais oui! I have bought it many times since I was about 18 which is many bottles and years ago.

I have heard No 5 described as cold and " a frosty bitch" , but I find it elegant, sexy and WARM on me. It melds into my skin so that I cannot tell where I stop and it starts. That may be my personal body/ skin chemistry. A lot of frags turn vile on me because I tend to warm them up like a hot summer night even in winter, but I can always count on No. 5 to hang in there with me without breaking bad.

A little goes a long way so one dab on the neck is enough. I would not want to spray this. I don't know if the perfume even comes in a spray, but it shouldn't. One dab only, ladies. Well, at least for me. I don't want anyone to smell me unless they are within a foot or so of me. That is how I like my perfume - on me and YOU!

This is one of the few perfumes that doesn't give me a headache. I am that lady who runs through the cosmetics department holding her breath.

I cannot resist mentioning the godawful Brad Pitt commercials for this. What a weird disconnect between him and this fragrance. That kind of thing always surprises me- like the glamourous Charlize , Grace and Marilyn in the commercial for the oh- so- pedestrian J'adore. I realze they are trying to buy an image but sometimes the disconnect is just too much.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2013 6:51:00 PM More reviews by MacNW45

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This perfume, is the perfume I think about when I hear the words Confident, Woman, Strong, Elegant, Chic, Seductive, Classy, Mysterious. I even tend to move around a bit slower than usual when I have it on, in an attempt to gain more elegance and grace in my movements. In my honest opinion, you shouldn't wear this until you reach a certain age (24-25) as this perfume will definitely wear you instead and you will smell like you've been playing with mom's stuff.
This perfume is the one I want to keep growing up with and grow old with. When I think about my marriage, honeymoon, special date with my husband, this is the scent I want to have on. It's the fragrance I would like to have on at my own funerals.
Chanel No 5 is a 100% perfect for me, in every single way...on the very top of my list.
Do I need to say that I will buy this again?

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/20/2013 10:11:00 PM More reviews by maico27

When i asked my hubby's opinion on this fragrance, he said "its smells like auntie". But I still insisted on buying this perfume eventhough he keeps on implying that i will smell old. Lol! Anyway, At first spritz it is very overpowering that causes my hubby a headache. It has this very strong yet unique aroma. To me, i can say it smells sophisticated, not old but mature. When i wait for the dry down, very unexpected. I smell all powdery!!! Its like i put on a J&J powder. The staying power is good because even though i washed it off, the smell stays. I can only use this on evening events. Love.love.love

rated 2 of 5 on 4/16/2013 11:58:00 PM More reviews by FancyShmancy

I don't own this perfume, but my mum has it as its one of her faves. Not too keen on this one... very powdery smell, which I would think would be a good thing, but like many other Chanel perfumes, it is OH SO STRONG!!! I never like a perfume that over-powers a whole ROOM (perfect example, Chanel Mademoiselle! Urgh!!!) Maybe this one would be best dabbed on, rather than sprayed on, as a little goes a long way. Giving this a 2, cos it smells nice on my mum :-)

rated 1 of 5 on 3/26/2013 7:17:00 PM More reviews by illbefloating

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I didn't buy this - but I did go investigate it at the store. I had it in my mind that my sister-in-law wore this stuff. She always comes around smelling of bug spray. So I checked it out to see if I was right. Sure thing . . . Chanel no. 5 is an exact dupe for Raid.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2013 7:08:00 PM More reviews by livelaughlove58

I was hesitant to buy this perfume at first. It is expensive and I normally go for light and flowery perfumes (Daisy, Coach Poppy, etc.) so I originally went straight to Chanel's Chance.. I sprayed both on each hand and walked around. At first Chanel No. 5's strong fragrance was weird for me. I can understand how some may say this is an old lady's perfume because of the initial strong powdery smell however as it sat on my skin I couldn't help but find myself drawn to it. It is definitely a unique smell and it is so unique it takes some getting used to. It is a feminine but powerful fragrance and I can see why so many strong and powerful female icons have favored the iconic No. 5. I think it is worth a try and a classic that I will continue on with.