Chanel No.5

3.5

on 12/25/2013 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I really wish I liked this. I'm a huge fan I miss Monroe and I so desperately wanted to like this. This is an iconic fragrance, but it just doesn't do it for me. It smells way to powdery and mature, not sexy or feminine at all. My grandmother wears this, so whenever I smell it, the powdery scent reminds me of her, which, don't get me wrong isn't bad.. But I wouldn't want to smell like my grandmother. It is also EXTREMELY expensive which is understandable since of course, it is Chanel. but, nevertheless definitely nothing i would go crazy for.

on 12/4/2013 12:03:00 AM

Three times in my life I have been gifted with No. 5. Three times I have given it away to other people. On me this smells like a stuffy unclean motel room: a combination of body odour, recent sexual activity and air freshener. Every time I have worn it, I have asked friends what they think and all of them have said it's revolting on me. I've also tried testers over the years, in case the bottles I was given were fake or had gone off. Nope, it's just my body chemistry and No. 5 clash very badly. On the other hand this smells fantastic on my mum - clean, elegant and just slightly sexy. In fact it is one of only two perfumes she can wear. This is the only reason I gave it two instead of one.

on 12/1/2013 7:28:00 AM

It is very difficult to write a review for such an iconic fragrance that must have a left a trace in almost every perfume lovers life, be it positive or negative. I have seen people who perceive it as the utmost expression of sex appeal, it was Monroe’s fragrance!, people who perceive as a symbol of proper, classic chic as well as people who run for the hills as soon as they hear the name. Here on MUA, it is one of the most reviewed fragrances with 894 reviews in 12 years whereas it is not among the top 10 favourite fragrances of any age group. Still, with so many variations, formulations and reformulations over the years, I do not think these offer us a clear-cut idea about No.5 as trying to find out who is talking about which formulation could be a long-winded pursuit. Perhaps it is the best to try it to discover whether you love it, hate it or are indifferent.

My own experience over the years shows me that I definitely prefer newer formulations of Chanel 5 because I have a big difficulty with civet and modernised versions are definitely cleaner – although for some of us, also lacking character. Today, I perceive Chanel No. 5 as a very very attractive aldehydic fragrance that is somewhere between aldehydes with more of a vintage feel – my dear Farouche- and those with a cleaner vibe – my beloved Rive Gauche. Somewhere between these two, Chanel No.5 manages to handle both formal situations and casual jeans and a white shirt extremely well. On my skin aldehydes create a clean, radiant vibe which is not sharp at all. Together with a softspoken rose, Chanel No. 5 becomes both very comfortable and elegant, with some very expensive floral soap feeling somewhere. It is not as golden or luxurious as Amouage Gold or Caleche and neither is it as white as Rive Gauche. If it were a colour, I think it would be bronze with rosy undertones. I can see how it may become a skin scent for some while it is worn like jewellery by others.

It is soft with low sillage on my skin - I use No.5 cautiously- but has good lasting power.

on 11/26/2013 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just love this scent. It's a timeless classic. I will repurchase this over & over. You have to be careful not to spray too much, one or two sprays is all you need or it is way to strong. It's expensive but hay it's Chanel ;)

on 11/10/2013 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This review is for the current formulation of the Chanel No. 5 Eau de Parfum.

There is a reason Marilyn Monroe only wore drops of Chanel No. 5 to bed. It is probably the most romantic perfume I've ever smelled. The roses are very prominent to me, but they are clean roses. Like gorgeous rose soaps (the aldehydes often create a soapy, clean smell). This fragrance is so feminine and womanly. I love to wear this during the day, but it is definitely fitted for a romantic evening with your special someone, so I try not to wear it too often. It is made even more special when you layer this with the No. 5 Velvet Body Cream.

For those people saying this smells "old lady", I'd be happy to smell like any "old lady" who wears this, because she surely must be elegant, sophisticated, feminine, and timelessly classic.

Chanel No. 5 is my signature, along with Coco Noir, as they both reflect different parts of my personality. Coco Noir is my outward personality, it is what I convey to everyone I know: confident, sophisticated, and glamorous. Chanel No. 5, is my private personality, where I feel a bit more vulnerable, romantic, womanly, and whimsical.

For modern sensuality and elegance, I would wear Coco Noir.
For timeless romance and the ultimate femininity, I would chose Chanel No. 5.

I will always have a bottle of No. 5 and the body cream on hand. The epitome of romance and luxury.

on 11/3/2013 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Can't believe I paid so much for this!!!

Not "old lady," but not the trendy, fruity/floral stuff we're use to today. Some others described it like this.

I just didn't like the smell. It wasn't horrid but it wasn't worth the 120 dollars I paid for this!!

on 11/3/2013 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Very classic adelhyde fragrance.

This is unique in the sense that its not super flowery and its also not musky.

This is an ok fragrance but nothing special at all.

on 11/1/2013 12:15:00 PM

I have always loved this. In the past I went through bottles of it but stopped wearing it for a long time when I couldn't afford it. Now I have a bottle of the perfume and remember why I liked it so much. I like its mystery and find it lasts a very long time on my skin. A tiny spritz does it. It might not be an everyday scent for some but I wear it no matter where I am going.

on 10/28/2013 5:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have never understand the hype behind this, it smells of old people? Except it being Chanel, I don't see how it's got so many glowing reviews...

on 10/26/2013 7:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I truly have never understood all the hype with this perfume. Everytime I smell it, it reminds me of a very old man's cologne mixed with burned band-aids or something. Awful. I have also never got a pleasant sniff of anyone who was wearing it. One day I saw an old friend of mine... and I asked her when perfume she was wearing (so I would NOT ever even think of smelling it in the store), and guess what it was? You guessed it.
This is just not for me, but Chanel must be doing something right because it's been iconic for generations.

Popular Fragrances