Chanel No.5

3.5

on 11/26/2013 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just love this scent. It's a timeless classic. I will repurchase this over & over. You have to be careful not to spray too much, one or two sprays is all you need or it is way to strong. It's expensive but hay it's Chanel ;)

on 11/10/2013 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This review is for the current formulation of the Chanel No. 5 Eau de Parfum.

There is a reason Marilyn Monroe only wore drops of Chanel No. 5 to bed. It is probably the most romantic perfume I've ever smelled. The roses are very prominent to me, but they are clean roses. Like gorgeous rose soaps (the aldehydes often create a soapy, clean smell). This fragrance is so feminine and womanly. I love to wear this during the day, but it is definitely fitted for a romantic evening with your special someone, so I try not to wear it too often. It is made even more special when you layer this with the No. 5 Velvet Body Cream.

For those people saying this smells "old lady", I'd be happy to smell like any "old lady" who wears this, because she surely must be elegant, sophisticated, feminine, and timelessly classic.

Chanel No. 5 is my signature, along with Coco Noir, as they both reflect different parts of my personality. Coco Noir is my outward personality, it is what I convey to everyone I know: confident, sophisticated, and glamorous. Chanel No. 5, is my private personality, where I feel a bit more vulnerable, romantic, womanly, and whimsical.

For modern sensuality and elegance, I would wear Coco Noir.
For timeless romance and the ultimate femininity, I would chose Chanel No. 5.

I will always have a bottle of No. 5 and the body cream on hand. The epitome of romance and luxury.

on 11/3/2013 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Can't believe I paid so much for this!!!

Not "old lady," but not the trendy, fruity/floral stuff we're use to today. Some others described it like this.

I just didn't like the smell. It wasn't horrid but it wasn't worth the 120 dollars I paid for this!!

on 11/3/2013 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Very classic adelhyde fragrance.

This is unique in the sense that its not super flowery and its also not musky.

This is an ok fragrance but nothing special at all.

on 11/1/2013 12:15:00 PM

I have always loved this. In the past I went through bottles of it but stopped wearing it for a long time when I couldn't afford it. Now I have a bottle of the perfume and remember why I liked it so much. I like its mystery and find it lasts a very long time on my skin. A tiny spritz does it. It might not be an everyday scent for some but I wear it no matter where I am going.

on 10/28/2013 5:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have never understand the hype behind this, it smells of old people? Except it being Chanel, I don't see how it's got so many glowing reviews...

on 10/26/2013 7:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I truly have never understood all the hype with this perfume. Everytime I smell it, it reminds me of a very old man's cologne mixed with burned band-aids or something. Awful. I have also never got a pleasant sniff of anyone who was wearing it. One day I saw an old friend of mine... and I asked her when perfume she was wearing (so I would NOT ever even think of smelling it in the store), and guess what it was? You guessed it.
This is just not for me, but Chanel must be doing something right because it's been iconic for generations.

on 10/26/2013 3:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

HG! love this classic, timeless fragrance! wear it all day, everyday! beautiful package, lovely staying power! have soap, moisture mist, body oil, body creme and hair mist as well! ♥♡♥♡

on 10/21/2013 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My review is for the parfum. According to Luca Turin, the EdP is a reconstruction from the 80's by Jacques Polge and contains Polysantal (a synthetic sandalwood). The EdT is allegedly from the 50's and the parfum is supposed to be closest to the original. What makes the parfum stand out for me is a much richer floral heart, smoother aldehydes, and a less musky but creamier base. All together the parfum is more plush and seductive.

Every bit as daring and divisive as it was in 1921 when first released, No. 5 is truly one of the greats. A study of carefully judged contrasts that seem to meld into one euphoric expression, it is one of the most beautiful and cerebral perfumes I have ever smelled. First and foremost are the aldehydes which create a dramatic synthetic/modern/abstract counterpoint to the lush and very real heart of jasmine and rose de mai. One of the most beautiful floral accords I have ever smelled, the rose de mai is cool, fresh, and myrrh like with no trace of citrus. The jasmine is rich yet transparent and hypnotic without being indolic. This ultra feminine heart rests on a pristine, almost masculine base of vetiver soap: clean, creamy, and well scrubbed.

The overall effect to my nose is expensive sparkling soap... a strange amalgam of the frictionless and the scintillating, snapping with effervescence. The combination of exciting, exhilarating aldehydes mixing with precious florals and smooth soap is fantastic and unexpected. Dazzling!

It took me a long time to understand No. 5 because all I could smell at first were the aldehydes which struck me as relentlessly chemical and old fashioned. But just as the different concentrations of perfume each have a slightly different take on the same theme, so do the bath products. It was only when I tried the Velvet Body Creme which is more floral and less aldehydic that I began to understand No. 5's appeal.

on 10/21/2013 2:30:00 AM

I love scents with lots of layers and complexity. I fell in love with No. 5 well, a long time ago and if I have a signature scent this is it. I began wearing it at 18 when I moved to San Francisco and began to collect those things that defined my womanhood. I'm traditional with a streak of rebel. I resent change when I've found what I like but I seek it out anyway afraid I'll miss out on something. Why do I mention all this? Because it describes the impact the scent has on me. I've been to Paris many times and each time I could get any scent I wanted from the Duty Free shops still, it was always No. 5. I loved Chanel, her designs, her sophistication, her smile and she exuded many characteristics I longed to have. I hope they never rework the scent and feel it should remain just as she created it to be.

Popular Fragrances