November 20, 2014 | 1878 users online

Treatments - Nail Magic

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2011 6:55:00 PM More reviews by Kunko

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I love this product! I have always had nails that flake and break off if they grew even a little bit past my nail bed. I have tried the OPI nail treatments, and they have failed me miserably and was a waste of money.

So after seeing some good reviews on youtube I took the plunge and bought it. Just as a warning the first time I tried it my nails HURT like it was a mild burning sensation for the first few hours. The next time I tried it, it didn't hurt, so maybe that was the formula showing me just how weak my nails were? After using it once a week for a few months I had wonderfully strong and long nails that were the envy of all my friends, I was constantly asked if they were fake.

I would recommended this product to anyone who is trying to grow out their nails and having a hard time doing it, but just a warning if you have really weak nails like I did it will burn and hurt the first time you use it.

P.S. - they have a new "natural" formula I'm currently trying out to see if it is any better.

UPDATE: So I have been using the "natural" formula and I have to say don't waste your money on it, my nails went back to breaking and chipping so it wasn't worth it, just stick to the original formula if you want results.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2011 4:14:00 PM More reviews by dallaw139

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have had weak, peeling and chipping nails my entire life. Before my wedding, I got gel nails, and kept that up for a year. The look of long, well-kept nails really grew on me, however, I became concerned about the health of my nails under the gel, and was annoyed at the time and cost associated with getting the nails touched up every two to three weeks. So, I took the gel off, and started to apply nail magic regularly. My nails were pretty thin at first, but now after four months, my nails are LONG, and extremely strong. They NEVER split, or peel, or break at all! I am nothing short of amazed. I get compliments on my nails all the time now, whereas for my entire life previousy I was always the girl hiding her week, short (and often bitten) nails. This product does cause some yellowing, but it is completely worth it to me. This is the only product that has ever allowed me to grow my nails long, and I have tried all varieties of Nail Envy (which does NOT work). I wear polish regularly (usually Mademoiselle by Essie or something similar) so the yellowing is not visible anyway (and it is not severe in any event). I love this product!

I should note that there is a very strong chemical smell during application, so if your nails are sensitive to chemicals I would not use this.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2011 8:55:00 PM More reviews by georgielynn

Nail Magic (sold at Sally Beauty Supply online or in the store for $8.49) is a great product for making your nails grow longer. There's nothing else like it!

It's similar to a thick, clear (with a pink hue, but still clear) nail polish. But it has some serious chemicals in here. Warning: if you are trying to be all natural, this is not the product for you. It's got formaldehyde. I can only guess what my lungs are like after applying this regularly.

But my usually weak nails (they split and break a lot -- especially on the pointer nail) can grow long. It's fun to see all my nails uniformly shaped -- a nice almond shape. They're very strong -- strong enough to mess around in the garden...

I can't recommend it 100% because of the strong chemical nature of the product, and my worries about chemicals. But on the other hand, I am beauty first which is why I'm still using this great stuff!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2011 4:02:00 PM More reviews by Anya1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff. I don't rec it to everyone. BUT it does work for me. I've used it now for just over 2 months. I have had breaks here and there BUT this stuff helps grow out my nails pretty darn fast and it's winter my nails usually grow so slowly in the winter time. Right now except for my thumbs that have had some bad breaks my nails are as long or longer than when I'd get them done with acrylic or gel. I hate to say it works but it really really does. Since it does contain toulene and formaldehyde you need to make the choice for yourself. For me it works and it works wonderfully.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2010 1:20:00 PM More reviews by AGeorgiaMember

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I am very hard on my nails, especially this summer when I refinished my deck and sometime got mineral spirits, Bondo and deck stain on my hands.

However, perhaps due to Nail Magic Base Coat Therapy and their Fast Dry Topcoat, I still have nails left.

It is now too cold to continue my deck staining until spring, so we'll see how my nails look after a toxic chemical vacation. Speaking of which, I try never to buy products containing formaldehyde, toluene or pthalates; I always check labels and I'm thinking that the Base Coat Therapy and Fast Dry Topcoat, at least, are free of those ingredients. I could be wrong, or perhaps some of their products do contain those substances but not the ones I purchased.

Anyway, I do recommend highly the two products I've purchased. I got them on a 2 for 1 special at Sally's so they were cheap, but even at full price, they're not that expensive and they work, so that makes them a good value.

EDIT: I guess I'm losing brain cells--I had forgotten all about this product until seeing it while reviewing my reviews. I must be out--guess I'll get some more. My nails are in bad shape again. Maybe it's because I ran out of the Nail Magic!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2010 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Luckytattoo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just love, love, love this stuff. I have had nail issues for many moon's, breaking, peeling, weak and have tried just about everything out there, then one day I was in my local Sally store and asked the SA what was the best nail hardener? She recommended "Nail Magic" and it was on sale so I felt completely justified in picking it up. I'm so happy I did! My nails are long and strong! I haven't had a break in 3 months and I have even had to trim them back a little! I'm so hard on my nails everyday, in gloves, tones of hand washing and sanitizers and they have held up wonderfully. I'm so impressed that this is now and will always be my HG nail treatment, I even added the " Base coat therapy" to my nail kit and love it as well! My nail polish goes on smooth and holds fast for 3-4 days which is a bloody achievement for me, and it has the same get benefits as the hardener, double awesome!

Yes this product does contain formaldehyde and there are some health concerns associated with it, but meh...I breathe in a butt load of toxic chemicals everyday that all may, or may not have a negative affect on me later. So if I'm to perish from some type of cancer, tumor or respiratory sickness, who's to say it was solely the nail polishes fault, it could have been any number of things. For beautiful nails I'll risk it :)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/4/2010 3:14:00 AM More reviews by Lizziex3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff works very well for me. You have to use it continuously for the full six weeks though before it works though.
This contains formaldehyde. YOU must make the decision whether its worth it to try.
If you want to wear polish with this treatment I suggest putting a base coat over the Nail Magic and under the color because this tends to peel off in big sheets after a couple days and will take your manicure with it unless you have something on top of it to keep it on.

Do not get this on your skin! It burns. Careful application is key with this product especially with the possible side effects of absorbing formaldehyde through your skin.

This product smells awful. Worse than a regular nail product. Keep that in mind.

The bottle doesn't last very long..eventually it thickens and becomes unusable..I got about three months out of my first bottle.

Overall I like it and will continue to use it but it might not be for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2010 3:36:00 PM More reviews by WarmFuzzy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

A resounding YES, YES, YES I will buy this product again!!! This is absolutely the best nail hardener I have ever tried. All of a sudden my nails started peeling and breaking and I went to Sally's and inquired about a good nail hardener since I was using Nail Envy but it was no longer working. The SA recommended Nail Magic and so I bought some. That was in the early part of the summer and now my nails on both hands are long and no peeling or splitting. They are hard and beautiful!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2010 6:01:00 PM More reviews by Hollynla

All I can say is WOW!!!! I just started growing my nails out last December and as soon as they began to get a little long, then would peel horrible and the edges were extremely weak. Over a few months, the peeling was so bad that all it seemed i was left with was a thin sliver of a nail and nothing would stick to it. I had tried several products that claimed to repair and prevent this from happening but nothing helped. I was in SALLY one day and the sales lady recommended me to try Nail Magic. I bought it and in 2 to 3 weeks, my nails had drastically improved. There was no more peeling, no more thing and weak edges, no splitting, and they were growing fast and strong. It's now been about 6 weeks and I've had to cut my nails back some because they were too long. I will never be without this stuff, it's a miracle worker.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2010 11:15:00 AM More reviews by carljr_2002

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Other

This product has improved my nails, I wear nail polish all the time and I usually use Acetone to remove polish. I had noticed peeling and splitting of my nails so I went to Sally's and saw this and thought I would give it a try. I must say it was the best deicision I made. I use it as a base coat and sometimes as a topcoat (Seche Vete is my holy grail) and I noticed an improvement after a week I will defenitly by this again.