October 25, 2014 | 1330 users online

Powder - Stila - Illuminating Powder Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2009 11:23:00 PM More reviews by miss_mac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really like this powder because it doesn't look cakey! It virually melts onto the skin and makes it look radiant without looking shiney. Most powder foundations look thick and cakey and you can see that 'powdery' look on the skin, but this powder sits on the skin really well and leaves no trace of 'powderyness' behind. You can use a brush for a nice minimal coverage or use the sponge in the compact for a fuller coverage. The packaging is great because you can pop the pan out when it's finished and buy the refill and pop it back in. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2009 2:39:00 PM More reviews by AokiJ

Brilliant product By Stila, Quality is Fab!, & it really is illuminating, its not false advertisement!. Covers my blemishes instantly with a dash of this foundation after my concealer!, no need to brush it in forever like most powder foundations, doesn't make my face look chalky or over done!
Gives me a Nicole Richie, bohemian look, chose a shade darker than my skin, but it really blends, and brightens up. it may look dull in the packaging, but when its on! wow its wonderful!!!!
if you don't buy this, you would probably regret it!!
my first product from stila, and im going to buy more!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2009 6:19:00 AM More reviews by Dimitra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product on its own or over foundation, doesn't make the skin look dull like lots of other powders and evens out the skin tone nicely!! Great for my normal - combination skin tone!

Also I found out it is over 80% minerals!!! Which is great for preventing my occasional break out...

You would not want a powder foundation with any more illumination than this, if you want that i would suggest use a highlighter over the top.. =0)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2009 2:10:00 AM More reviews by kimby83

recieved as an extra from a sweet swapper it's not a foundation it's a all over face shimmer in *6 its a baby pink shimmer love it would def. purchase myself when i run out

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2009 9:25:00 PM More reviews by ninanina

I like this product tons in Watt 40, but I'm a little disappointed that it did not illuminate a little more. If anyone knows of the same consistancy in a foundation powder with a little more illumination I wish they would tell me, until then it's a keeper!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/2/2009 9:47:00 PM More reviews by YaoiKitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this product because 1) it was the palest powder I could find and 2) my skin is paler than any foundation shade on the market. I was pretty happy with the color match, but my skin is VERY oily and this did little to sop up my oil. I could only go four hours before having to reapply due to oily break through. I think this is a great product, but not for me. The color is really sheer and goes on super fine, really minimizes pores. However it is better as a powder to set foundation than as a foundation by itself. I keep it in my purse for touch-ups but I really can't justify the $28 this cost again. I have found better (and paler!) products since then so I will not be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2009 2:47:00 AM More reviews by oneofmylies99

I'd say this foundation works best for people with pretty good skin to begin with. I have acne-prone, sensitive and combo skin. This evens out my skin tone, covers up very minor flaws/breakouts and *blurs* the more noticeable ones. The finish is very natural, not quite fully matte, a bit of a glow but not shimmery though the shimmer can be seen in the pan. This is my everyday foundation. I do have other foundations I use for different occasions or for different coverage levels but I use this about 95% of the time (I calculate I wear foundation about 6 days a week, probably a total of 15 days a year where I require a different foundation). While I don't rely on it as my source of sun protection, the SPF 12 is a nice bonus. It feels light on, which I love. I usually apply with a powder brush (kabuki or flat-top powder) which gives a lighter effect, I do use the sponge for touch-ups. I feel the sponge applies the powder too heavily, though, still not cakey. I touch-up about 5 hours into the day - mostly just my nose then about 3 hours later my forehead usually needs a touch-up too. I'm very happy with the compact as well. The sponge is stored underneath the powder in a separate ventilated space which elongates the life of both the powder and sponge. And of course, I love that it is refillable and that the compact must be bought separately from the powder - it makes me happy to reduce/reuse/recycle as much as possible. If you're purchasing this foundation for the first time I suggest you hold off on the compact until you are sure you are happy with the powder. I do wish the compact were a little more solid. I haven't had problems with the compact breaking or anything, I've just always liked it when compacts have a little heft to them, it suggests the high-quality and importance of the product inside. This one is pretty light-weight. Also, the newer compacts aren't nearly as cute as those in the past. Bring back the Stila girls! i believe this powder fits in a Shiseido compact as well so if you're not a fan of the compact but like the powder there are other options to explore.

As far as shades go this foundation is offered in a decent range of choices overall and really pretty great for the lighter end of the spectrum. I know lots of really light girls love the 10 watts - I guess many lines don't offer many really light shades. Most shades are pretty neutral. Though, my shade, 60 Watts (about an NC 35 or so) is considerably warmer/more golden and a little less neutral than the other shades lighter than it. Currently 10-80 Watts is offered. I seem to remember Stila having darker offerings in the past...

I really love this foundation, I just wish it were cheaper. The $28 refills are a bit much but I've decided that I end up wasting more money and take chances with my skin by straying from this and no longer have a desire to search for other foundations. Holy Grail status achieved.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2009 9:24:00 PM More reviews by fashionista_ae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'll start off by saying I love the refillable compact. This is the cutest compact I've come across, I love it. Too bad I dont like the powder. I'm quite surprised by all the reviews on here saying they're getting a "matte" finish from this... I'll I'm getting is the glitters! I've tried applying this with a brush and a sponge, and both ways all I get is shiny, sparkly, glimmer (which I'm sure is why they call this 'illuminating' powder foundation). I was hoping for a more natural look, but I'll have to look elsewhere. If this is the look you are wanting, then I'm sure you will love this foundation. It gives nice coverage, sheer to medium, depending on how you apply it. I just wish I could find some other powder to put in this adorable compact! LOL!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2009 9:00:00 PM More reviews by jules2064

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I absolutely love this. I personally don't think it provides enough coverage to be a stand alone foundation but I think it works fabulous as a face powder. I use 75 watt over top of my 70 watt illuminating foundation and it's absolutely wonderful. Beautiful, flawless skin. Best my face and skin have ever looked when I wear this. I have one in my purse and one in my makeup kit at home. I put it on after my morning makeup and use the one in my purse for touch ups throughout the day because the foundation has a tendency to make me a little oily. I bought the foundation refill and the compact both for 10.00, which was a totally awesome deal! So, for that price, you can't go wrong!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2009 2:42:00 PM More reviews by maggiealex

i really don't know why they call it a "foundation" because you never see the coverage!!! it could also be called "sheer pressed powder"!!!! i have it in 50 watts and only use it as a contouring-bronzer and though i have fair skin i really have to pack it on to see the colour!!!! i also don't get why they call it "illuminating" since it is matter than matt!!!! other than that i really like that it's finely milled but i think for a foundation at that price it doesn't worth it!