Cover Girl Eye Enhancers Trio - Shimmering Sands

4.3

on 8/31/2012 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Let me start by saying this is a staple in my make up collection. This is definitely my "go to" look. I use this palette virtually everyday. I am a make up artist at Sephora, and I have the Naked Palette, have tried countless high end eye-shadows, and this is personally one of my favorite trios. Yes, the colors aren't packed with color, but that's the beauty of this little palette. It's natural looking, the perfect amount of sheen, not packed with chunks of glitter but not matte - I like to think of the colors in this as illuminating. I have literally been using this palette since I was 14 and when I first started wearing eye-shadows. I have bought this palette at least 20 times, and I'm not even exaggerating. There's a good reason behind that! I find this palette to have great pigmentation, but perhaps that's because I have a lighter complexion (NC 20 for reference, 150 Buff in Revlon ColorStay) but even when I'm at my darkest (NC35) I think this palette has a great amount of color in it. I find that the key for darker complexions is to use a paintpot, or an eye primer that kind of erases your lid or is the same color as your skin tone to get the full potential color payoff. I've used this plenty of times without a primer though, and what I do to get the most pigment is I literally use my finger and dip it in the middle shade, and pack it onto my lid and it looks beautiful. The lightest shade has got to be my favorite shade of this palette and probably the reason I have repurchased it so many times, it's a peachy toned frosty highlight color. I use this color with EVERY make up look that I do. Whether it's in the inner corner, or my highlight, I always use it underneath my lash-line because the pinky tone really brightens up my eyes. The colors last all day and do not crease. The darkest color is actually so pigmented that I barely tap my blending brush into it and it gives me crease a lot of dimension because of it's sheen, and it really is a deep brown. This is my all time favorite Covergirl product and is my Holy Grail of Covergirl eye-shadows. It makes my everyday look sexy, but natural and it takes only a couple of minutes to complete - perfect for early morning rushes, or for school and work.

on 8/30/2012 11:37:00 PM

Finally bit the bullet and bought the infamous Shimmery Sands trio in the latest Cover Girl packaging (the slim flat grey rectangular compacts). I'm glad this isn't the first Cover Girl eyeshadow I've ever tried as the line has some small gems here and there. When I swatch this on my hand the colors are lovely basic neutrals, decently pigmented, not too glittery or overly frosty and looks like an eye brightening set of colors... Unfortunately when applied to my eyes, it's just shimmering with no sands. I can keep building on the shimmer and never see much color as if all the shades are really close to the natural colors (and contour colors) of my eyelids... It's bizarre.

I have found that I can make this trio work by playing with various eyeshadow bases (white, bronze, brown, etc). This method will get the colors to show up on my complexion more but unfortunately due to that type of hassle I can't see myself repurchasing this. I can understand the popularity of this trio because it's quite fool proof even if you're not great at application. It probably shows up better on those with super fair complexions or much darker complexions. I'm a MAC NC15/Covergirl Classic Ivory for reference.

P.S. Shimmering Sands is really similar to Wet n Wild "Walking on Eggshells" trio (which is actually a set of shadows I can use with no problems or requirement for colored bases, these two trios don't look that similar in the pan but when swatched on the skin the colors are like sisters). The shades are very similar except the Wet n Wild is a tad frostier however much more pigmented and a few bucks cheaper at $3.

on 8/3/2012 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I had high hopes for this trio since so many people seem to love it, but it just doesn't work for me. The colors look great in the package, but are not pigmented enough. The mid and darkest shades barely show up on me at all.

on 7/7/2012 7:35:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

Great neutral and slightly cool toned shadows from the drugstore. They are very inexpensive eyeshadows, but they still have good colour payoff. I will definitely repurchase this palette.

on 6/27/2012 4:13:00 PM

I know this product is well liked by many, I'm not a huge fan. I find the shades to be a bit chalky and powdery. I'll admit that the colors are a great scheme for everyday wear and it is a good palette for travel, but I honestly don't reach for it much and I think there are better options (i.e. W & W) in the same price range.

on 6/10/2012 5:42:00 PM

I'm asian with dark brown eyes. This is one of the best drugstore eyeshadow palettes. I use all of the colors in this palette and in addition I add a dark brown eyeshadow to the outer v (I use maybelline nutmeg e/s) for a smoky look. The most shimmery color of them is the lightest shade, I apply that to the inner corners of my eyes. You can't go wrong with this palette, hopefully they never discontinue, I love it.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love, love, love this product!!! I was digging through my old makeup and found this little treasure and have been using it daily! It's absolutely perfect for an everyday eye look and I'd highly recommend it to anyone! Don't pass this one up girls, it's totally worth it!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a great d/s neutral eye shadow(s). I'm 30yrs old w/ fair, oily skin, & believe it or not, this was the color I wore on my eyes EVERY DAY in HighSchool & now 12yrs later I still love it! Seems like CG's eye shadow's are either not pigmented at all or pigmented beautifully - no inbetween & it's totally hit or miss (I know this b/c I've bought other CG e/s & thrown them str8 in the garbage!) But this is one of the great ones, & yes, over the years I've strayed to other e/s - some even higher end, but I have to admit this is pretty great. I wear all 3 colors in this trio when I'm doing the "natural makeup look" or if I want to do a "bold lip" kinda look :) The lightest/pink shade can even be used as a face highlighter in a pinch! (for someone fair skinned like I am at least!) Not to mention it really is DIRT cheap! It's great :)

on 5/28/2012 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This product is my holy grail neutral trio! it looks stunning on my eyes. I especially love the lightest pinky color.
I normally put the pinky color on the inner half, taupe on the outer half, and the darkest brown in my crease. It gives a gorgeous, flawless and effortless eye.
The pigmentation is the worst in the middle shade. Overall, the pigmentation is pretty good for covergirl eyeshadows.
I will probably always have one of these trios in my collection! i hope they never stop making it!

on 5/17/2012 6:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

After seeing a few youtube tutorials featuring this trio, it looked promising and I wanted something cheap to keep in my gym bag, so I picked this up. It is, indeed, "shimmering" but I was expecting it to be a bit more pigmented. The mid-toned shade doesn't show up on me at all and the darkest shade not very much - not as much as I'd have hoped. The lightest shade is VERY shimmery looking when applied, so be warned. I do like this shade applied very lightly to my tear duct area and then blended away like crazy. All in all, it's not a "bad" product; it's just not especially good, so I would not repurchase. There are much better trios, quads, etc. from Wet n Wild and Maybelline if you are looking for something inexpensive so you can have it in multiples (gym bag, office, etc.)

Video Reviews & Tutorials