April 20, 2014 | 1843 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Ultrabland

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 6:16:00 PM More reviews by sassiko

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I am officially a convert. I must be on my 5th tub of this stuff. At first I thought it was too greasy for my acne-prone skin, but it hasn't broke me out, it leaves me skin slightly moisturised and its soo gentle it's one of few products that my skin doesn't react to. I use it morning and evening and some days can go without moisturiser if my skin is playing up. I even use this on a couple of eczema patches I have on my face and I've had the best results so far of all the creams I've tried. The only downfall is that it isn't great at getting waterproof mascara off, but as I don't often wear mascara it's not an issue for me. Definitely a staple in my skincare regime.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2013 1:38:00 PM More reviews by Superbeckyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ultrabland is touted by Lush staff as their 'must-have' product - it claims to work as a universal cleanser for removing makeup and calming problem skin. After hearing the shop staff praise Ultrabland so highly I decided to try a small pot and see for myself if this truly worked. Costing just over 6 for a small pot that has so far lasted me months and months, it's in the more affordable category of skin product, so it's not a disaster if it doesn't work for you.
There seems to be some confusing about how best to use Ultrabland, so this is what I do. First I use a regular makeup wipe to remove the majority of my makeup - foundation, eyeliner, mascara and all. I take a small amount of Ultrabland in my fingers - a small amount goes a long way as it does initially feel oily and waxy - then rub all over my face, wherever I would have applied makeup. For anyone with oily skin like mine it is initially a shock since it feels so greasy, but this is only temporary. I then use my Clarisonic Mia gently all over my face for 60 seconds then wipe dry with a clean towel. If you don't have a Clarisonic or skin brush a warm face flannel thoroughly wrung out and works just as well. After drying, I spray Lush's Tea Tree Toner a few times on a cotton round and wipe all over my face to remove any last traces of Ultrabland. Your face should now be feeling clean and smelling good!
Initially I didn't like Ultrabland as it felt so horribly greasy on my already oily skin, but then realised it does need removing with a small amount of water (Clarisonic or damp flannel) to get rid of the greasiness, whilst a good toner for your skin type takes care of any leftover residue (Lush's toners are great, there's one for everyone). My skin feels much cleaner and calmer after using it, I can't go to bed after just using a makeup wipe on my skin and calling it a night.
The only negatives for me are that it can be messy and time-consuming to use every night, especially since it's a waxier product, although I am a fan of lazy girl skincare and don't want to spend too long prepping my skin before bedtime. The second is that like Ultrabalm, it does have the slightest gritty feel to it which doesn't affect the skin abrasively in the slightest but a smooth formula would be better. Both products have similar ingredients so it's not surprising; though it isn't really a huge issue.
I'd recommend this to anyone looking to revamp their evening cleansing routine - those with drier skin may like to use it in the morning too - this is a unique product which has the potential to do wonders for problem skin when used correctly.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2013 7:43:00 PM More reviews by saffronbaby

Sorry no no no! Greasy skin is not a good look. Impossible to remove and sticky and horrible. feels like your cleansing with lip balm which isn't a nice comforting feeling! Did nothing for my skin but make me feel more dirty than I was before I cleansed! LUSH I love you but ultra bland is ultra crap!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2013 10:52:00 AM More reviews by happinessfactory

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm nearly 39 and have been battling with moderate adult acne for the last decade. I always seemed to have a few spots and at least one would be cystic.

I used to use the Acne Cure regimen, but it's designed for teenagers, and my ageing dry cheeks and fine lines couldn't cope with it.

So about a year ago, I decided to abandon all complications and just cleanse, tone and moisturise.

My skin hasn't looked this good since I was a (non-acne-afflicted!) teenager.

I use Lancome's iconic bi-phase remover to take off my mascara and my HG eyeliner, Urban Decay 24/7.

Then I give myself a facial massage with Ultrabland. Really work it into both surface make-up and the skin with the pads of my fingertips.

Then I use a microfibre cloth or muslin or even a cotton towelling washcloth, soaked in hot but bearable water and then wrung out until it's barely damp, to remove every last smear of the Ultrabland (and my make-up) thoroughly.

Then I apply Lush's tea tree toner all over my face with a cotton pad.

Then I use Heal Gel by The Firm only where I need it: on my cheeks, upper lip and eyeids and undereyes.

My skin is glowing these days and people tell me I look ten years younger. My spot scarring has gone and I almost never get zits any more. Nor do I get dry batches or tiny bumps beneath the surface of the skin.

If you're not getting good results from this cleanser, I can only think you're not removing it correctly. It's an oil and therefore sticky: don't leave it on the surface of your skin ready to attract dirt.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by leigh0814

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

PLEASE READ!

This is an absolute MIRACLE product!!!!

Before you write this product off because of the negative reviews on here, please read this. Ultrabland is literally a godsent. This little pot of beeswax and honey is a practically a cure-all for any skin condition. Pretty much the ONLY way not to like this is if you're not removing it correctly, which about 75% of people are guilty of.

I work at Lush shop and I never paid much attention to this product. I use 9 to 5, good enough for me! Then last week I had a horrible, horrible reaction to a medicine I took for rosacea. My skin broke out in a rash so severe people stared at me. I was covered in red bumps, my skin was raw and flakey, and I was ashamed. I tried everything, more Lush cleansers, cetaphil, aveeno, steroid creams, and it only made it worse. Then my manager came up to me in the shop and said she would fix it with ultrabland. She massaged a nickel sized amount in my sore, bumpy skin for about 4 minutes until it was even and not sticky. Then she removed it with toner-water soaked cotton rounds for about 2 minutes, and finally she placed a warm washcloth over my face for a minute. The SECOND she was done, my skin was about 75% clear. The rosacea bumps, the rash, the flakiness was GONE. Not covered up, I had no makeup on! It was literally clear skin. I was worried it would "wear off" and I would wake up and be bumpy again but my skin only looks brighter today. And thats after one use people. Give this product a shot, it literally saved my skin.

It works so well because of the honey. Honey is antibacterial and anti inflammatory, so while its going deeep into your pores, its clearing out all the bacterial, makeup, grime, and gunk and also reducing redness and irriation. It's also good for oily skin because oil attracts oil, so yes even though it is oily, it's pulling alllll the gross oils out of your skin.

Remove it correctly and there is literally no way NOT to like this product.

If you have doubts, ask the associates at your Lush shop to do it for you in store! we will =)

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/9/2012 1:42:00 AM More reviews by TarinM

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to like this because the ingredients sounded so nice, but it just seemed to have the consistency of beeswax, like it was quite difficult to spread over my face and then there was a fair bit of dragging to try and get it off, I had to use a face cloth as well, I don't think you could get it all off with water but I think it wasn't designed for that. My skin looked okay afterwards and it didn't seem to add to any breakouts, but I imagine if you didn't get it all off properly, which was quite an effort, you could get clogged pores from it.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2012 7:47:00 AM More reviews by welldarling

I've been using this product for almost a year. I feel that it works very thoroughly and gently and doesn't make my face feel dry afterwards. I use it to remove my makeup (I don't wear a lot of makeup, foundation and powder, no eye makeup except the occasional mascara, so I can't attest to how well it removes heavier/longlasting makeup) and also to cleanse my skin. I massage it into my skin and wipe off with cottonwool pads damp with warm water (this might be psychological, but I find it doesn't work so well with cold water - warm is soothing but also removes the product better.. I think). I follow with rosewater and teatree oil to tone my skin and a moisturiser. It does feel a bit *weird* at first, and unlike any other cleanser I've used. But I do have acne-prone skin (that's also prone to dehydration and dryness) and since I have switched to this gentle (but thorough) cleansing routine, my spots have all but gone.
(FYI after reading other reviews, I'm in the non-peanut oil ultrabland camp. I don't know if that's an American addition? But certainly my UK-purchased pot is peanut-free)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2012 12:32:00 AM More reviews by lydiaxaidyl

Smells pleasant and glides easily over the skin. I massage it in for about two minutes before I wipe it off with a tissue and then follow up with another cleanser. Removes every speck of water-resistant sunscreen and bb cream, however, it still breaks me out in tiny bumps. Maybe I'll come back to this when my skin is drier. Also plumps the skin around my eyes very well, which is bad for me since it makes me look like I have eye bags. Really wanted it to work for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2012 6:40:00 AM More reviews by amelzing

I started using Ultrabland about three weeks ago after seeing it in Lush but never having heard of it before. The sticker on the pot says that people with 'really problem skin' should use nothing but Ultrabland for a month. Having oily, spot-prone skin, I decided to give it a go. I apply Ultrabland both morning and night to dry skin and remove it with a warm flannel.
It removes my foundation well but I use a separate eye-makeup remover. I have noticed a massive difference to how oily my skin gets during the day, I rarely have to blot now whereas it used to be a couple of times a day. The pores on and next to my nose have become much less noticeable, and it has done a good job clearing up the spots on my chin. I still get the odd spot but I keep on just using Ultrabland and it tends to clear up within about 2 days which is much quicker than before.
One downside to this product is that I have had a couple of dry patches on my face since starting to use it so I have had to use a tiny bit of moisturiser, but other than that I have used nothing but Ultrabland. Initially I thought the product seemed expensive but after using i twice a day for almost a month, I have barely made a dent so I think it will last for quite a while.
Overall I would definitely recommend Ultrabland.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/23/2012 1:04:00 AM More reviews by yummytofu

This causes my skin to become extremely dry and gave me a rash , it also takes awhile for the makeup to be removed thoroughly.. won't be buying again.