MAC Matte - Chili

4.6

on 1/17/2011 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this lipstick because I was really wanting to find something that didn't make my lips look wet. I love the matte finish, but this one seems to leave my lips a little more dry than my other mattes. I have a friend that pulls this shade off flawlessly, so I wanted to give it a try. After reading the reviews on here and finding that it seems to go best with olive skin, I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to pull it off with my pale complexion. Although I think the way I apply it might have something to do with my disappointment, it really just doesn't work for me. It smears so easily and leaves my lips really dry. I don't think I would buy this shade again unless I can learn to pull it off.

on 1/2/2011 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

nice color unfortunately what I can't get past is the texture. I've worn it the last couple days & it's pretty warm red that goes nicely w/my light olive complexion. after a couple hours however, my lips are horribly dry.
this one's going back.

on 12/27/2010 3:22:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This is about the only red lipstick I've ever been able to wear, probably because it is sort of a persimmon-y color rather than a true red. The warm undertones are flattering to my very pale skin and don't overpower me the way most reds, even with warm undertones, do. I probably don't wear this "full strength", but it is still a distinct, strong statement. This is about the darkest color I'm able to wear, but I find myself reaching for it a lot more than I expected to. Looks beautiful; I would definitely re-purchase.

on 12/22/2010 10:45:00 PM

When I wore this for the first time, on Halloween this year, when my "flapper" costume/ensemble included a black "modern millie" (tiered, Calvin Klien, $100.00) dress, an off-white white wool swing coat (also just over $100.00), a cool Chanel-looking necklace ($40.00) and a 6" wide, 4' long (rabbit) fur accent "stole," the very handsome late-40s waiter at the restaurant we (me, my husband, and our then-13-mo. old baby) went to after the Halloween party couldn't take his eyes off me the whole time we were in the restaurant and grabbed the chance to visit our table to pay attention to the "baby" once my husband left to go to the washroom.

I am 40, petite, and 123 lbs., not exactly skinny (yet), due to the baby. AND my hair was in its very-very-curly state (think Juliana Margulies in her ER days--but a bit MORE curly), which (sadly) usually makes me feel less-than, b/c I look wayyyy better with my hair straight and classic looking (out of rollers), especially b/c I have a heart-shaped face. (Let's face it: certain hair styles really DO work better with certain face shapes.)

I hold Chili responsible for all of the attention I got. It looks great, especially on my NC20 golden olive skin, and it brings out my dark brown eyes with olive green undertones.

Yes, (sing along): all-I-want-for-Christmas-is-to-wear-Chi-li...to wear Chi-li...to wear Chi-li...

on 11/9/2010 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Chili helps me to achieve the Sade circa 1985 look. This red is warm enough and strong enough without being garishly bright. I agree with the reviewer who called this an autumn red--very true. The matte finish is just right because I feel that if it were in an amplified finish, it would be too intense. Sometimes you want a red that teeters between subtle and sultry.

on 10/6/2010 1:50:00 AM

I *adore* Chili. This is really an awesome color for anyone with yellow-toned or olive skin. As one of MAC's matte lipsticks, it tends to be a bit drying, but will stay put for hours without budging. This is a wonderfully flattering shade with great lasting power. I use it with MAC's pencil liner in Auburn and it's a perfect match. Amazing shade, amazing formula -- will repurchase!

on 9/25/2010 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I had high hopes for this color after reading reviews here. I'm Asian NC35/C4 with dominant olive tones. In the tube, this appears to be a red with brown tones. However, on my lips, this pulls a very strong orange. No, not a nice coral as some have described, but a full-on orange. Unfortunately this did not work out for me.

on 8/20/2010 7:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Great red lipstick for yellow/olive skintone!

on 8/5/2010 7:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Chili is the ultimate 'autumn', warm, spicy red! It looks terrific when paired with Auburn liner! I love creating that spicy, warm look, so I often use bronzer, a warm peachy-bronze blush (I love peach-twist by MAC) and bronze/gold smokey eyes! Chili is definitely a warm, orange based red. If you're very cool toned, chili will wash you out - try Russian Red instead!

on 7/3/2010 2:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Very nice matte warm brick red that looks good with my yellow undertones and I would imagine great for olive skin girls. Stays on well and doesn't rub off too much. Easy to apply and not too dry. The color is very rich.

Popular Lipsticks