Honey

4.4

Price: $

Price: $

Honey, propolis (some versions)

on 8/2/2013 12:09:00 PM

Last night was my first use of a raw honey mask (along with pure aloe vera gel). I have oily sensitive acne prone skin and am currently having one of my worst breakouts of all time on my chin while the rest of my skin has large pores, hyperpigmentation, black heads, scarring, redness etc. I can already tell honey is going to do great things to my skin. Where I don't have breakouts, the redness has already reduced, along with some wrinkles on my forehead and scarring. My skin just looks better. As for the acne on my chin, the honey brought the pimples to a head but they don't really look better or worse. I popped them (I know it's bad but they hurt if I don't!) and I'm going to continue using the mask as I've heard it brings them to a head as it brings out the toxins.

**UPDATE**
My skin has improved sososo much! I really can't believe it. I've been using this regimen alone for 10 days and also use evoo as a moisturizer at night. Granted I do still have acne but much less, the organic honey and pure aloe has improved my skin tone, texture, and all over look. What used to bed red, angry, embarrassing skin has normalized! I don't even wear foundation anymore because it really just looks so much better. It does heal some pimples overnight in some cases though the type of pimple has something to do with this (usually painful putsules.) I've found using honey alone dries out my skin and irritates it since I have incredible sensitive skin and it is quite grainy, but when paired with aloe gel can make my face look incredible after using it as a mask for an hour or so. They really work well together and these bad boys cost me less than 15 dollars together. DEFINITELY worth a shot, just try it and keep it up for a few weeks as there is a "purging" stage where it will get worse and then get better! I will be back for another update as I keep using this.

on 7/3/2013 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

So I first stumbled across honey as a skincare aid when I had a nasty (self-inflicted, of course) scab from a popped pimple on my face. I came across a natural skincare website that recommended raw honey and specifically something called "manuka honey". Let me tell you, that was the best $35 I ever spent. You can buy raw manuka honey at Whole Foods and it heals damaged skin so fast its shocking. Raw honey works pretty well too, but manuka honey is worth the extra money, TRUST ME. If you have a picking at zits problem, manuka honey is your savior. Slap some on and cover it with a band-aid and go to sleep and the next morning you'll be shocked at the results. It's special because its made by bees that use pollen from a medicinal plant related to the tea tree plant - hospitals even use it now because it is effective against antibiotic resistant bacteria - I'm serious!
N.B. Regular honey does very little! You don't need to drop $35 for the manuka honey but you do need to buy the slightly more expensive RAW honey. It should be opaque and might be slightly grainy. You can get a jar for about $7 at trader joe's and a little goes a long way.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I wish i had more time to use this everyday .. if i could i would!
i normally use a honey mask as a treat, maybe once every 2 weeks, but this could be used more regularly if necessary. it makes skin feel clean, soft, fresh and new!

if i use a honey mask, i get a hot flannel cloth and leave it on my face for a few moments to open pores. then i use about a tablespoon of honey and apply it to my face and neck, and sometimes the chest area if im feeling patient! - be careful as it can drip everywhere!
I have also added sugar and essential oils (lavender, chamomile or tea tree) in the mixture too to make an indulgent exfoliator. once the mask has been on for about 10 or 15 mins, wash off with warm water. apply your favourite moisturisor and your skin will feel baby bum smooth!

when i worked in a health shop, i always recommended honey to many teen girls complaining of acne and spots. some looked at me like i was mad, and some took on my advice and even some came back to thank me for the results it had!

honey is a great healer for the skin and is anti bacterial, so its perfect for those who suffer with acne. it is also moisturising and works wonders for all skin types - even mine - combination/oily, slightly sensitive, spotty. it's best to go for honey that is in a squeezy tube - it is much cleaner!!

you may also want to try manuka honey - which has a unique antibacterial factor which may range from 5+ to 50+ strength. the higher the number, the higher the strength. this would work wonders on boils, spots, cuts, exzema etc. HOWEVER, it can be extremely expensive, but if you are looking for something to indulge in, go for it! its also good for IBS, stomach problems, sore throats, colds etc. i've heard raving reviews about this stuff during my time in a health shop.
if you are like me, and don't always have a high budget, regular honey is perfect for minor skin ailments. it's also very tasty :P

There are so many uses of this incredible product. I use it in my moisturizer. I use about one quarter honey to moisturizer and add ten drops of coconut oil, macadamia nut oil, sweet almond oil, and wow my skin is super soft. Honey is a natural anti aging product. It is also a natural brightener, and it continues to make my skin really glow and help fade those pesky acne spots! I also add this to my shampoo (about 1 tablespoon for 2oz of shampoo, some add to conditioner but in less amounts) and it does wonders. My hair is soooo incredibly soft.
Research it and you will also find the true benefits of honey!

Good luck makeupalley users :)

on 6/9/2013 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I've been on the search for a skin care product that will help with my hormonal acne (the joys of perimenopause!) and I decided to try honey as a mask.
I made the mistake of not spot testing and Holy major breakout Batman!

My face looked worse than before as the honey made it red (I already have rosacea) and aggravated my breakouts. It took a good few days before my skin began to recover.

Definitely spot test before trying this all over your face, especially if you have sensitive skin.

on 4/30/2013 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

Works great!, im medium brown , and my acne....arg!! ladies you know! being 17 with acne is not fun!, so i tried this product and believe me or not i woke up the next morning with pretty skin! yeah i still had 2 tiny bumps but my pimple was not noticeable has before :)

I like honey! :b I don't think it prevents acne that much as I still get small breakouts once in a while, though I never got much pimples before honey anyway. It is a mild cleanser, but probably people's skin are reacting badly to it because raw honey contains pollen which is an allergen (but also has greater benefits than non-raw honey). However, it gives a healthy glow to my face and moisturizes so I don't need a moisturizer unless I use a drying facial product (Queen Helene Julep Mint Masque), and my face only looks a tiny bit shinier at night, when I'm due for another honey wash. Before, my face would be an oil slick by the afternoon after washing. I got a pound of raw honey for $7 at Trader Joe's. That's really cheap compared to a lot of facial cleansers!

on 4/27/2013 7:04:00 PM

I have combination skin that is fairly, though not extremely, sensitive. I can handle 2% BHA and 8% AHA products just fine as well as low doses of retinol. I am breakout prone but have it under control and my skin usually looks good. But I had a patch where I had both dryness (with flakes) and breakouts, so I tried pure honey (not raw---just light organic store-bought honey) and oh wow, what a horror show.

I left it on for twenty minutes. I looked like I had a major sunburn, and my skin looked broken---wrinkled, parched skin, bright red and angry. It took me a week to calm things down, basically laying off all products except Toleriane cleanser at night and moisturizer with no irritating ingredients. Do yourself a favor and do a patch test on a small section first.

on 4/7/2013 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Where to start? Honey is one of my favourite products to use as a beauty product - it has so many different uses. I've been trying to use more natural/organic/DIY products recently and this is a great find.

I actually use Raw Manuka honey over all the other honeys available. Even though, other honeys are perfectly fine to use... Raw Manuka Honey is as close it's natural state as it can possibly be and hasn't been heat-treated (which kills a lot of the nutrients and healthful properties). Raw Manuka honey has more antioxidants than other types of honey and more antifungal and antibacterial properties.

Moving on... the uses for Honey are incredible...

+ As a face mask - it makes skin sooooo soft and glowy

+ It has great cleansing properties

+ It's so moisturising and works for all skin types - for extra moisture, mix the honey with milk or rosewater

+ It can be mixed easily with other liquids and powders for face masks - Spirulina powder mixed with Raw Manuka honey is a favourite mask of mine (Google Spirulina and it'll give you a list of all the amazing benefits for beauty)

+ It's a great hair mask/conditioner on it's own or mixed with olive oil - leave on for half an hour (I wrap my hair in cling film so it doesn't start sticking to my face)

+ Reduces scarring

+ Soothes sunburn

+ Can also be used on the lips to moisturise them/in lip scrubs

+ It helps with skin ailments like eczema, acne, helps to heal wounds faster

+ You can even add it to bath water for soft skin

+ You can even get beauty benefits from eating a spoonful of honey (especially if you have digestive problems like IBS) and it won't spike your sugar levels like sugar does

+ Use it in homemade scrubs or soaps

+ Mix it with an egg for a toning face mask

Honestly, the list is endless!

on 4/1/2013 7:55:00 AM

Been doing honey mask on my face daily for few months. I tried my best to do it everyday. It works like a charm. Very inexpensive but very effective. I have oily/combination skin. The texture of my face and the complexion are definitely improved. And it clams my skin. It took me about a month after doing the honey mask consistently to see the different. I would come home, wash my face then put the honey all over my face. And just leave it on at home. Or if I have time I would do it in the morning before getting ready. Essentially I apply honey on my face as much as I could. It gets a bit annoying sometime cuz it is sticky. But totally worth it. As I said, inexpensive but very effective.

Popular Treatments (Face)

Retin A
Lemon Juice
Nerium AD

Video Reviews & Tutorials

2 in 1 DIY Face Mask and Healthy Snack: Collab! by Orange mint Pop

Top Rated Treatments (Face)

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products