August 2, 2014 | 1037 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2009 5:52:00 PM More reviews by dawnwfoster

I got this product when I purchased the Makeup Optional kit by philosophy. I used it as directed, on a clean face before moisturizer, and used up a whole bottle. I can't say I noticed any difference in my skin... it didn't get any worse or better. One plus is that it did not break me out or cause irritation. I don't recall any unpleasant fragrance. I just remember it had an oily texture and sunk into my skin quickly. The sales lady at Sephora told me it would do amazing things for my skin, and I hate to be a doubter but I didn't see any results. Then again I suppose it's quite an accomplishment that it did not break me out or irritate my sensitive skin. I don't know what to think about Philosophy products. I think they have brilliant marketing which sucks consumers in, but I have not experienced any amazing results, and I have used a lot of their products. The ONE product by philosophy that i absolutely LOOOVE is the purity cleanser - it's a makeup remover, cleanser, and toner all in one. I love that stuff becuase it gets all my makeup off without much work, makes my skin/pores feel very clean, and eliminates a couple steps from my nightly routine. Love it. However just like all philosophy products it is very pricey. Anyway, back to the serum... It's just kinda "meh" for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2009 6:34:00 PM More reviews by pagell67

I will not go without this product! I'm 28 years old and I originally bought this product to be my long-term antioxidant/prevention/firming powerhouse serum. I've gone through a 1oz bottle, and can honestly say that my skin is firmer and bounces back nicely. I have crowsfeet lines when I smile, and they used to linger all day. Now they don't at all- they just bounce back out and you don't even see them! Same with my '11's. When i squint or frown I can see the lines, but they bounce out beautifully. These results are good enough to keep me purchasing! The smell is soo odd, but the ingredients are worth it. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/25/2009 2:18:00 PM More reviews by exhibitatrocity

I am so pissed of at the Nordstrom SA who insisted this would do wonders for me-- I should ahve gone with my gut. I have combination skin and very sensitive skin. This stuff seems to make my pimples worse, if it does anything.

Overall there is no change in my skin and I think this is a complete scam. Shame on Philosophy. I recently also bought the oxygen 'peel' which SUCKS. I have very disappointed in these two WAY TOO EXPENSIVE FOR NO REASON products.

Do not buy this-- spend your money elsewhere, on something that will actually work!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/23/2009 1:16:00 AM More reviews by NoeyD

This product did NOTHING for me! I went through 2 bottles consecutively and saw absolutely no difference whatsoever...perhaps since Im only 31, but still. Totally worthless......I'm soooooo over Philosophy

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2009 12:31:00 AM More reviews by hewgo10

i mixed this C+E+peptide with booster C.
results came in the next morning.

5 pimple on my forehead, but i thought it was because i didn't clean my face good enough, so i kept using it for 4 more days, 3 more pimples on my chin. well, My pimples geting worse, white and black head all over my cheek. so i stop using it
and go back to clinique moisture.

now my face getting clear up but still have to take care that pimples.

** i did some patch test on the inside of my arm before bought it but still got irritation.**

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2009 11:21:00 AM More reviews by SkinnyCow

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

WOW, this hasn't been reviewed much. I am using this in tandem with Hope in a Jar spf 20. BUT, for a repurchase, it would be this over that.

The philosophy website said this is moisturizing, I don't think it is. I got this as an eye cream more or less, to combat wrinkles specifically. Something to use on specific areas of my face under Hope is not enough or whatever. But I do actually like it all over my face, and neck and chest. I am 41, I have minor wrinkles, some sun damage and my biggest gripe for my face is just discoloration. This helps even it out VERY nicely. It also helps improve skin tone. My skin is what I would call normal, but I treat it like its dry and it seems to do better... I noticed this weekend my skin is now fairly PHOTO sensitive, which worries me for the beach this summer, but I do like it.

The one downside, this and the other hope product do make me break out a bit. Just a little, not a lot. I wish it didn't. The results of this product are so good, I will continue to use it, but I don't use it daily. I would say 3-4 times a week. I do notice a decrease in wrinkles, but I couldn't say its just this, since I am using the other hope product also.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2009 3:32:00 AM More reviews by Hollytron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well, I got this in the Makeup Optional because the SA in Bloomingdales showed me how it was smooth and resulted in using less of the moisturizer. She also waxed poetic of its antioxidants and how it would prevent wrinkles and yadda, yadda, yadda. Well, I'm not doubting the product and it has its good share of antioxidants, but after about three days of use, my skin started objected. Right away I did not like the texture (sticky to me), but I continued to use it for a couple of days with bad results. Maybe too much vitamin C (with the Microdelivery Peel and all)? At any rate, won't be getting this again. :(

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2009 10:51:00 PM More reviews by HollyMarie

For me Philosophy products mean clogged pores & breakouts. Who can resist the perfect packaging and little sayings on the label. Philosophy looks like a fun brand. But I fell for it and bought the make up optional kit. But it just clogs pores and breaks out my chin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2009 9:53:00 PM More reviews by cutebrnis

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using this product for a few years now and its the one thing I wont go with out in this line. It really does improve my skin and in the summer this is all I use at night and morning. I get tickled when I see girls in late teens and twenties saying they see no difference. Your not going to your skin is young. This product is not for you. Its is for more matue skin. If you like this line and your still young call philosophy and they will tell you what to use. I also know that the key to firmer looking skin is moisture. Its not rocket science moisturizers cause your skin to plump up making it look smoother. So really the only way to get rid of aging signs is surgery, Not willing to do that So this product helps and makes me feel better about myself and after all isnt that whats important.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/17/2008 7:04:00 AM More reviews by reema2

Though the packaging is good it absolutly does nothing. Absolute waste of money. Will never buy again.