October 1, 2014 | 1254 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED & REFORMULATED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2012 11:58:00 AM More reviews by BriddaBella

I bought this founadtion after I read so many good reviews about it and I really needed a foundation with a high SPF for my summer trip to Italy. It is a good foundation it last the whole day on my fairly oily skin and I would compare the coverage to that of the Revlon Colorstay. The problem with this foundation is that the shade selection is quite poor (the place I went to only had 4 shades) and it can make your skin look a little orange.

Overall I wouldn't buy it again. It's too expensive and I think I will stick to my Revlon Colorstay for now. If I need SPF I will just use a moisturiser with a 24hour sun protection as a base before applying my foundation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2012 10:44:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

UPDATE REVIEW: Ok I was applying this wrong. I was wearing it over a sunscreen which obviously affected the way that this sat on my skin. I changed the sunscreen and now this foundation looks amazing, like a second skin. My skin looks flawless! I am truly amazed by the difference from how I used to wear it to how it looks now (for reference I was wearing Neutrogena Ultra Sheer SPF 70 underneath it, and I now switched to Josie Maran Moisturizer with SPF40, the untinted version). Will be rebuying this foundation and will be more careful in the future about what I wear underneath it...I can't believe the difference in the way this looks by changing one product.
    ORIGINAL REVIEW: I don't dislike this foundation, but I don't love it either. It tends to just sit on my skin and doesn't blend in easily. I apply it with a foundation sponge and it just never looks like my skin, it always looks like I am wearing a full coverage foundation. It can also feel quite cakey too which I don't like. I love the fact that it has a sunscreen, but sadly this doesn't perform like I thought it would. I don't get a matte finish from it, more satiny, and although it lasts quite a while it doesn't last like Revlon's Colorstay foundation. I am disappointed in this but I will continue to use it because of the sunscreen until I find something better (or go back to Revlon).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2012 5:52:00 PM More reviews by sitknee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

*This product was reformulated in early 2014. My review is not for that formula.*

- OVERALL: Great long-lasting SPF foundation for oily/combination skin. Medium to full coverage that can be sheered out for a light and natural look or layered to achieve a more done-up one. Easy to blend, with a semi-matte finish. Not recommended for photos, due to SPF. Shade selection poor.

- PRICE: $35
    (Funny thing, by the way. Sometimes they do not have this foundation out on the counter -- I've encountered this at a couple Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's locations! Remember that this foundation comes in a little blue bottle, similar to their sunscreen packaging, but it is a foundation. If you don't see it out, just describe it and ask for it.)

- PACKAGING: Cute blue bottle similar to their sunscreen packaging. You have to shake it up before use.

- SHADES: The shade selection is terrible. I think there are like seven available. I'm around NC20 and can wear both SP40 and SP50. They look very similar imo, though the SP50 is golden and SP40 is a bit rosy.

- CONSISTENCY: Runny. But it has great coverage and it blends in easily and seamlessly. Can accentuate dry patches though.

- COVERAGE: Medium to full, though light is possible.

- FINISH: Semi-matte, though it depends on your coverage. It is possible to achieve a very natural look with this foundation, though if you need more coverage, you will obviously look less natural. Still, the pigmentation is good so you don't need to look cakey.

- SPF: 42. This does not photograph well, so be aware of that. Although there is a slight white cast in general, it's not that bad. But bring in flash photography and you'll be a ghost.

- HYDRATION: I have oily skin that can get dehydrated, especially in the winter. Right now, this foundation can leave my skin a bit tight if I do not moisturize carefully. I don't think I would recommend this for dry skin, though it wouldn't hurt to try it. Oily and combination should do perfectly fine as long as you exfoliate regularly.

- LASTING-POWER: When I use my Beauty Blender, I get decent lasting power, but nothing crazy. Most foundations cannot last on my oily skin so it wasn't something I was too surprised about. However, when I buff this in, it truly lasts. And by that, I mean I have tested it with a solid 12 hours. I personally love the finish that the BB gives me, so I buff with a brush and then go over everything with the BB after. I do have one issue with lasting-power, which I touch on below.

- OIL-CONTROL: Similar to what I mentioned above, I get better lasting-power and oil-control when I buff this foundation in. The only issue is that the make-up seems to break down a bit around my nose. Generally, my nose and chin are definitely areas where make-up tends to break down. With this foundation, I only see it fading a bit around my nose after a couple of hours. It's not a huge deal, really, but I do find it a bit frustrating because the patchy fading is rather unattractive. However, other than that everything else stays looking great for hours and hours.

ETA: I wore this daily when I was at Walt Disney World in super hot, super humid Florida. Let me just say this foundation was an absolute lifesaver. It lasted beautifully for the 12-13 hours I was out each day, controlling oil and resisting sweat/water. Even on some of the worst days, when I was sweating from every pore in the center of my face (ew), all the sweat did was pool on top of the foundation. I just carefully blotted the sweat with a tissue and my makeup was still perfect. Of course, by the end of the night, I wasn't looking as immaculate, as oil started to break through, but I looked flawless for at least 8 hours, and then just slightly less so.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 2:22:00 PM More reviews by oogg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Hazel

this foundation doesn't have this high spf only spf 30 otherwise it is all the same. it comes in this nice small bottle that contains small ball in it to help mix contents the sponge comes in a separate plastic protector very hygenic...........the consistancy is very liquidy ana though the sponge applies the products nicely it absorbs much of it so i wouldn't recommend using it for application only for removing exess or sthg........when applied it gives this nice glow partly because of the spf in it however it looks nice and fresh. it has a very good staying power and it is not just there it looks much like it was 1st applied fresh and homogeneous i really like it and i think it will b my fav for a while

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2012 4:03:00 PM More reviews by Chocolatedippedstrawberri

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a really good foundation for the summer. I've been using it in the winter now, and it is really too drying to be a winter foundation for me. If you have dry skin or any flakiness, this foundation will accentuate it. But, if you have normal-oily skin like I do in the summer, this is amaaaazing! It blends easily, covers well, lasts throughout the day (as long as you set with powder), and looks very natural. I'm very light and the SP20 is perfect for me. I bought it online and didn't try it on, so I was shocked that it was a perfect match for me. Overall, a great foundation, but I knocked a lippie off because I can only wear it in the summer.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by paigeturner

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

For reference, my skin type is sensitive, combination and acne-prone with fading pink acne scarring.I am usually the lightest/2nd lightest in most foundation brands and in MAC terms, slightly lighter than a NC15 (which is a tad too dark).

First off, the positives. Generally, I LOVE this foundation! It comes in a little blue bottle which you HAVE to shake befor using, to mix up the foundation and the sunscreen and it comes out of a plastic nozzle which is brilliant as it minimises on mess, especially as the consistency of the foundation is very liquidy.

I applied using the Real Techiques Expert Face Brush, which I stippled onto my skin rather than buffing, as the buffing can leave it a little streaky. To ensure a perfect, smooth application, I used the sponge which came which the foundation to pat over my face. I did try using just the sponge to apply, but it soaked up so much foundation and gave a super sheer cover, whereas I favour slightly heavier coverage for my acne scars. The finish isn't shimmery, but neither is it matte - it's a kind of luminous almost dewy finish, very fresh! It looks so natural, but can be layered to reach the desired coverage. I do have to use concealor for my darkest acne scars, but the overall finish is perfect, natural, fresh skin.

The lasting power is unbelievable - I set with Clinique's loose powder and this didn't budge from my 8-hour shift on a shop floor. It didn't settle into pores, didn't create little pools of oil on top of my skin and didn't slide off my face. I removed this with first with Bioderma and cotton pads, and then Clinique's Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm which is absolutely necessary. You NEED to use an oil-based cleanser to remove this, otherwise it is very likely you will break out.

Now, onto the negatives. The colour selection is truly awful - in the UK, it starts at SP40 and I have no idea why Shisedo think that super fair people don't reside in the British Isles. Anyway, so I was matched to SP50 which is very similar to SP40 in terms of "lightness", but SP50 is more neutral/pink whereasSP40 is very yellow. When I first apply it, it's a little bit too dark but acceptable. However, it does oxidise a little and eventually turns just that smidgen too dark. It wouldn't give me second glances in the street, but I know that it's too dark. To remedy this, I've ordered the shade SP20 to mix with SP50...I love this foundation that much!

Also, having such a high SPF, this isn't for photographs as it will leave a white cast in photographs. The only other gripe I have is that it can cling a little to dry patches (ie. a healing blemish), so make sure your skin is well prepped and moisturised.

I thinking I may have found my HG, and I don't say that lightly. I've spent years and hundreds of £££'s trying to find that perfect foundation (Clinique, Dior, Chanel, Revlon, Rimmel, Bourjois, Shu Umera, Pixi, No.7, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Lily Lolo, Laura Mercier etc.) and I think that may be it!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2012 5:51:00 PM More reviews by PeachFuzzz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I like this foundation but it has a major issue. The color range is lacking. I am NC30 to NC 35 and I chose 50. It seems really dark but it's so light. The colors are more beige than yellow, which I need. I do get oily, so it's not a miracle worker in that aspect. However, it does give a nice natural finish and covers spots pretty well. I also how light it feels at the same time. I think if I could find my color it would be a great foundation. If you can find yours, give it a try!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2012 2:07:00 PM More reviews by makeupstuffs

Having discovered and loved chanel's vitalumiere aqua liquid foundation I was intrigued by this shiseido foundation. From reading previous reviews I was expecting a matte foundation with good coverage, great staying power and that feels light on the skin.
    Finish: Firstly it is definately not matte. Yes I have extremely oily skin but this is just not matte. For me this does look matte especially when first applied but I can feel it on and it doesn't feel matte. The chanel foundation has more of a powdery feel when i run my hands over the top of it when first applied. This doesn't, this feels dewy to me. I have to set this with powder I don't have to with the chanel (chanel feels as though it dries more). I powder within 2-3 hours with both as I have oily skin.
    Coverage: It does have great coverage even thought the formula is very thin it is very rich. I would say medium to buildable. I can easily get high coverage with 2 layers of this. This is not a daytime foundation for me as it's more obvious that I'm wearing foundation compared to the chanel.
    Wearability: In terms of wearability for my oily skinned friends this is no miracle worker yes it may be waterproof but certainly not oil-proof. I put both this and the chanel onto my hands left it for a few seconds then washed my hands with cold water and warm water. Neither budged. Then I used soap, the chanel washed off with soap the shiseido was more resilient I then used baby oil to rub it off. So on the face oil does remove both in terms of water shiseido is very resistant.
    Skin Type: My oily skin doesn't like this foundation on its own. Set with chanel's poudre universalle powder it looks beautiful. Then I must powder around midday. Dry skinned ladies who like good coverage will love this. Will not accentuate dry patches more than any other foundation. I am worried about breakouts this seems to really soak into the skin and where my skin is less oily i'm worried i'm not doing a good job getting it off so I have to steam my face.
    Smell: Smells perfumey. Old sort of floral scent. Not unpleasant and I hate perfumed skin products. Smell doesn't linger.
    Colour: I'm SP40 this is like chanel vitalumiere aqua B20.
    Overall: Excellent choice for dry and normal skin types which like a semi-matte finish and good buildable coverage. Oily skins need powder to set and touch up. For acne sufferers I would stay away. For people with minor blemishes give it a try.
    I will keep this as my evening going out foundation. For everyday I prefer vitalumiere aqua as its weightless, dries more onto the skin when first applied and is easier to remove. Although, as i have really oily skin I do have to powder within 3 hours.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2012 4:13:00 AM More reviews by DaniDeelish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

****FOUNDATION CLAIMS****
    --"A liquid foundation that defends against powerful UVA/UVB rays as it provides a flawless makeup finish. Resists perspiration, water and oil, to maintain a soft matte look on the skin, even during outdoor activities."
    --Transfer resistant, very water-resistant, non-comedogenic, dermatologist-tested (formulated to minimise the risk of allergy)
    ****ABOUT MY SKIN****
    --I have normal-dry skin. Dry around my chin, nose and mouth, pretty much normal everywhere else.
    --I don’t really have acne (just a few acne scars), but I have horrible hyper-pigmentation and redness on my cheeks (which requires a medium-full coverage foundation to cover it up).
    ****SHADE REFERENCE****
    --I am an NW15 in MAC, "Gobi" in NARS Sheer Glow (I have very pink undertones)
    --I bought this foundation in the shade SP20 (second lightest shade after SP10). It looks a little dark (like an NC25) when first applying and blending it in, but as it dries down and sets on my skin, it's a close to perfect shade match.
    ****FOUNDATION CONSISTENCY****
    --This foundation is very watery (the kind that will run down your hand). Because of this very runny consistency, I tend to use a lot of this foundation (see cons)
    ****FOUNDATION FINISH****
    --This foundation has a very natural, semi-matte finish. It dries down to almost like a powdery consistency .
    ****APPLICATION****
    I have tried many ways of applying this foundation, all of which worked fine. This isn't a difficult foundation to work with. It works fine with a brush, sponge or your fingers. The way I prefer applying it, and the way I apply pretty much all of my foundations, is to start off working it in with my fingers (the warmth in your fingers helps melt the product better in to your skin and give you a more natural finish). Then I always use a damp beauty blender sponge to blend out any streaks that my fingers left, and to make the foundation look flawless and non-cakey.
    ****PROS****
    --This foundation has medium-full coverage, so it cover practically everything you need it to cover! Acne, scars and redness, freckles; this foundation covers all of my flaws and makes my skin look flawless!
    --This foundation is water resistant, transfer resistant, sweat resistant, you name it, this foundation resists it! so it will last all day until you take it off (you will probably have to use a makeup remover to get it off)
    --This foundation doesn't cake at all! It's amazing. I packed it on (I always do when I first test a foundation do see how buildable it is), and this didn't cake one bit! It the end of the day, it looked as fresh, flawless and beautiful as it did at the start of the day when I applied it, and I have never had that with any other foundation (not chanel, estee lauder, revlon etc). If you have a problem with your foundation looking cakey at the end of the day, try this! You will be amazed!
    --Has a very high SPF for foundation (now, I think there are 3 different SPF levels available with this foundation - 30, 42 and 43) - from what I've heard. I have SPF 43, so it will protect your skin from the sun really well! (the high SPF can be a minus - see cons)
    --This foundation doesn't really settle into pores or fine lines (it does settle in to fine lines a little, but nothing major at all - a lot better than a lot of other foundations I have tried)
    --Because it dries down to a semi-matte, kind of powdery consistency, you don't need a powder to set, which is a great plus for me cause powders always make my foundation look cakey
    --Has a squeeze tube nozzle, which lets you control how much product comes out
    --Sleek and small packaging is great for travel and easy to store!
    ****CONS****
    --This is kind of drying. When I just put it on it looks flawless and beautiful, but as the day goes on it does accentuate my dry patches.So this probably isn't for anyone with dry skin. Normally, I don't use a foundation if it's drying. But because this looks so amazing (in the non dry patches), this is the exception for me. Also since this is pretty much strictly a summer foundation for me (and as in summer my skin isn't as dry as it is in winter), the drying factor isn't that big of a deal.
    --I tend to use a lot of this foundation to cover my whole face. Even though it is medium-full coverage, because it's so watery, a little does not go a long way (and I use a lot more of this foundation than I do others)
    --The shade range of this foundation kind of sucks. There aren't many shades in it, so you might have a little bit of a hard time finding a shade match.
    --The high SPF is great for everyday, but will flash back like crazy in flash photography (give your face a white cast), so i can never wear it out (as much as I want to, as after this foundation no other one really compares). I wish Shiseido made a version of this without any SPF (for those special occasions like weddings, etc)!
    --It's a little expensive (I bought it for around $40), but it is much cheaper than other foundations in Australia, and so much better, so totally worth the money! (Revlon foundations cost $35 here, so $40 isn't that big of an increase)
    --When I first received the foundation, I thought it looked tiny! It looks like it has hardly any product in it (even though it says it has the average 30ml/1 fl.oz in it). It's just such a thin, little tube that it looks like you're getting ripped off. Now, this isn't really a minus, but just so you're not alarmed, the bottle will probably be smaller than what you expect
    ****BOTTOM LINE****
    HOLLY GRAIL ALLERT! I recommend this to absolutely everyone! If you have dry skin, make sure to exfoliate, moisturize, prime and don't set it with a powder so that this doesn't cling to your dry patches, and you should be okay! This foundation is well worth it and it's absolutely amazing! Beautiful! Oh an BTW, make sure to SHAKE IT before you use it.

19 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2012 3:09:00 AM More reviews by cloves

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is great if you have oily skin and are looking for a long wearing product with a lighter texture. For the longest time I thought this didn't exist, and that my only option was to take the traditional long-wear foundations (such as ELDW) and just try to apply them more sheerly. But I find that no matter how much I sheer those out, it still "sits" on the skin. Shiseido Sun Protection, in contrast, is watery, thin and "malleable" in a way, like Chanel VA or EL Invisible Fluid, but much more long wearing and oil controlling. I have worn it through a workout and it still looks great after. Despite the thinness it also covers well - it is quite densely pigmented so it can be built up to good coverage, but because the texture is thin you can do so without it being heavy at the same time.

The packaging is also great - I know some find it bright/tacky but above all it is practical which I value.

I wear SP20 and it's a great match for my light-medium, neutral skin.
    SP10 is pale and on the cool, pinkish side. SP20 is not much darker if at all, but more neutral. SP30 has quite a bit more yellow in it.

For shade reference I am approx NC20 leaning neutral. My other matches are Diorskin Nude Fluid in 020 or 022; ELDW in 2n2 Fresco.