Maybelline Full 'N Soft Mascara Waterproof

3.9

Petroleum Distillates, C8 9 Isoparaffin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera) Wax, Water (Aqua), Synthetic Beeswax, Allyl Stearate/VA Copolymer, Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Propylene Carbonate, Polyvinyl Laurate, Silica, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Methylparaben, Isoceteth 20, Lecithin, Octylacrylamide/Acrylates/Butylaminoethyl/Methacrylate Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, 2 Oleamido 1,3 Octadecanediol, Simethicone, Diazolidinyl Urea, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA, May Contain (+/-):, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), Carmine (CI 75470) (Carmine), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens) (Chromium Oxide Green), CI 77299 (Chromium Hydroxide Green), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For the record, I've used this mascara for three months now, so I think I've given it a darn good testing.

I turned to this mascara because I began to covet that clean, simple, natural look and I needed a mascara that would be soft, natural, and yet add something to my lashes. I went for the waterproof version because I do have oily lids and it seems as though everything I apply always winds up in a black smudge on the outer corners of my lower eyelid, and I don't ever apply mascara on my bottom lashes (don't need it.)

I have fairly nice lashes, they are not super thick but I do have a lot of them and they are pretty long as is. My lashes do fall straight forward so I always need a curl, and this product does a pretty good job of holding a curl. This mascara overall was not bad, but it wasn't good either. It gives the appearance of a single, small layer of mascara, which I suppose fits in with the "natural" look, and does not build well at all. I always have to be very careful with applying a second layer as it tends to clump my lashes up a bit and make them more spiky than feathery and soft.

Why is this called "Full n Soft?" It does not leave my lashes full nor soft at all. Its just as hardening as any other mascara, and it does not build volume at all. It gives a tiny amount of length and a black coating to your lashes, but that's about it. This stuff also smudges onto my lower eyelid not an hour after application so it does not stand up to my wearability test. I will say it is waterproof in the sense that its a pain to actually remove this stuff. I used three different makeup removers/cleansers and none of them worked, I had to break out an oil based and more expensive makeup remover brand to get this sucker off and even that was touch and go.

Well, if anything this mascara helped me discover that I do not like the "natural" look when it comes to my lashes, and that waterproof is non synonymous with smudgeproof.

on 12/23/2013 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used to love this mascara and did a review on here of it quite some time ago. I had not purchased it in recent times because it had become somewhat hard to find. My daughter had went to pick mascara for herself and saw this and picked it up for me because it was on a Maybelline buy 1 get 1 half off sale. It was the w/p version and I usually don't like w/p. Maybe thats why I didn't like the results. It seemed drier than I usually like, and the brush was just too big for me to get all my lashes. The results were clumped, spikey, and just downright unattractive. Not to mention w/p is just a pain to remove. I would never repurchase this ever again. Don't even bother to try this disappointing product. I'm 54 years old and I'm still on my quest to find my HG mascara.

on 12/23/2013 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I depend on makeupalley.com to help me find products, and I spent way too much time recently reading mascara reviews before I settled on trying Full n Soft Waterproof. I'd been using Avon Wash-Off Waterproof for a long time, but wanted to try something that promised more volume. I shouldn't have chosen the waterproof, I guess, because this stuff leaves smudges under my eyes after the end of the day. Avon Wash-Off Waterproof never left smudges. Also, for me, the brush was much too big to maneuver the corners. The formula was very nice in itself; natural, but more volume-building than Avon Wash-Off Waterproof, which is what I wanted, but even a small amount of smudging at the end of the day is too much for me.

Update: I tried Clinique High Impact (again, based on reviews here at MUA) and I like it. I will leave a review for it on its page.

on 12/1/2013 4:23:00 AM

Loved the washable version of this mascara as it left my lashes full and soft, as named, with minimal effort and no more than 2 swipes to built significant volume. I understood that waterproof formulas of the same product were not going to necessarily be the same as the washable formula, but I wanted to love this product even more than the washable version thinking that it was everything I loved + waterproof and long-lasting.

I'm wondering if maybe I just got a bad/old batch (however the mascara was brand-new and expectedly wet). The waterproof mascara I used fell short of everything I hoped it would be. It did not build volume well, if at all. If I layered it twice like I did with the washable one, it clumped and created spider lashes. It pretty much flaked toward the end of the day even with one layer. The wear of this mascara was not as soft and comfortable on my lashes as the washable version. I assume this is not gel-based like Maybelline's Mega Plush Waterproof Mascara, but it creates a look and feel exactly like it.

Full 'N Soft waterproof mascara might be great for those who want long-lasting, natural lashes, but it was full of fail in too many ways on its own, and even moreso compared to its washable Full 'N Soft counterpart. Other great mascaras I've tried that leave lashes soft and with natural to buildable volume include Neutrogena Healthy Volume Mascara, Clinique High Impact Mascara, and Josie Maran GOGO Argan Mascara, although these are all washable and vary in staying power and curl hold. Might just be the waterproof component causing stiffer lashes.

on 11/29/2013 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I really do like this mascara. I have stick straight Asian lashes that fall down as soon as non-waterproof mascara is applied. But this one really holds a curl on me and holds it all day. The effect is "natural" looking and soft. My eyes look dolly-like but not overdone dolly. Adds a bit of length as well and a teensy bit of volume, but don't expect a whole lot of oomph. It's just a very nice everyday-feel-pretty mascara. I actually love layering another mascara on top because my curl doesn't fall down and I can really build up big, thick eyelashes.

But it does smudge at the end of hot + particularly oily days. It's not super waterproof. I've worn this through a day of mild river rafting and had smudges underneath my eyes at the end of it.

It's easier to take off compared to most waterproof mascaras but still not super easy. I find lashes on my make up wipes. That would be the minus 1 lippie.

One of my favorite drugstore mascaras though and I would continue to buy.

on 11/26/2013 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

First off, definitely NOT for ladies who are looking for TONS of volumizing. Just want to get that straight before people buy it, use it then give it bad reviews for the wrong reasons.
This mascara lengthens your lashes like there's no tomorrow. I have the typical short, stick-straight and sad looking Asian lashes and with this on, I actually look like I have lashes for once in my 20 years of existence. Also, this defines and separates your lashes like c r a z y . When I was applying this, there were moments that I asked myself: "Is that a clump I see there on my lashes?" and then with one brush, this mascara reassured me: "No girl, just your trauma after the Colossal." You have to know, most volumizing mascaras are clumpy ones and clumpy mascaras are NO-GOs for me. But you know, being a girl, you want everythang! So when I read "full, thick, healthy-looking lashes" on the package, I was like: "Healthy-looking? Isn't that like no volume at all?". But after the very first application, I was like thanks heaven lord, yes, this DOES give me volume. Though only within the natural-looking limit, it still makes your lashes look thick and full while at the same time, fans them out, giving you wispy and luscious lashes. If you're into natural makeup like me, this is definitely for you as it will give you that your-lashes-but-better look, just like Maybelline's slogan "Maybe she's born with it. Maybe it's Maybelline.", which is cleverly printed on the package under the tube.
Overall, this is a good mascara, does what it says. But please remember to curl your lashes, because after you apply it on, the mascara pretty much stays that way ALL DAY. And don't nobody want their lashes to be long and full but unfortunately stick-straight just because they forget to curl their lashes like I did, okay?
This is for now the one and only mascara for me. After that clump mess Colossal, trust me I know that volumizing is sooo not my thing. Anyway, I hope this review help some of you out. Have a good day!

on 11/20/2013 4:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

i like the idea of my lashes look full and feel soft. too bad on me it didnt give me so much fullness, but yes my lashes feel soft. i like mascara that gives me more dramatic result. this one is ok for everyday use.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

I have to admit that this is not the most eye catching out of all the Maybelline mascaras with a gray/silver tube and simple black lettering (which is why it will get a three for packaging), but don't let that fool you into thinking that it is no good at all. In fact, Full 'N Soft provides several benefits such as:

1.) It darkens lashes
2.) It adds length
3.) It holds a curl
4.) It does not flake

However, this mascara is not as smuge resistant as it claims. By the end of an ten+ hour school day (FYI: I wake up at 5:00 a.m so I can catch my bus at 6 and then if I don't have any meetings or extraciricular activities I get to my bus stop around 2 to then walk to my house), I have a raccon eye going on. Also, this mascara forms tiny little clumps if I try to add more than two coats to my lashes that I fix by running a brow comb through it.

Overall, it was a good value for the inexpensive price but I don't think I will repurchase because this certainly won't last through wet weather or any physical activities that causes you to sweat.

on 11/14/2013 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Looked lovely on application. Alas it smudged by midday.

on 11/7/2013 7:08:00 PM

My HG mascara. I'm a makeup junkie with no brand loyalty whatsoever, but I never go anywhere without a spare tube of Full 'n Soft handy. I would cry if they discontinued it.

I have fine, straight lashes that are easily weighed down by clumpy formulas or will form three giant lashes with the wrong brand. With the help of a lash curler, Full n Soft keeps my lashes full and curled all day long. It layers well, especially after a couple uses, and never gets clumpy even as you build on it.

Popular Mascaras