October 20, 2014 | 1660 users online

Liquid - Almay - Clear Complexion Blemish Healing Makeup

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2013 6:15:00 AM More reviews by HappyUnicornSmile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

When I first started using this foundation, it was 2010. Back then, I LOVED it. It covered wonderfully, with a medium to full coverage. It didn't break me out (although, it did not heal my blemishes either), there were quite a few colors, with some setting powder it stayed for a long time and did not look shiny. I had used about 2-3 full bottles up back in high school. Then I began exploring other products. Recently I wanted to re-try this foundation, and saw that there was new packaging. I assumed the formula was the same. However, I can almost swear to you that it is not. It broke me out, healed nothing, the coverage was poorer than before (but not terrible, just didn't leave me flawless), and my face felt greasy. I had to stop using it and return it after about a month because break outs were what I was intending to avoid, and this caused them. It used to be a dream, now it's a nightmare; I do not recommend this product nor do I like it at all.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/21/2013 4:03:00 AM More reviews by Naataliie

I've been using this makeup for around three weeks, and had massive hopes that it wouldn't clog my pores and cause any breakouts. Unfortunately it has caused breakouts on my forehead (I never ever get breakouts there), and I've constantly had spots on my chin. I haven't changed anything else in my makeup/skincare routine so I know this is the cause of my problems. Some days I would wake up with 5+ new pimples on my chin - not fun!!

I decided to double check the ingredients, and although it claims to be non-comedogenic, it actually has two ingredients that have a really bad reputation for clogging pores - sodium chloride and isostearyl neopentanoate.

I'm really annoyed and will definitely be checking ingredients in my foundation from now on!!

The lightest shade is way too dark for my skin (I'm probably about NW10 or below), it lasted maybe 4-5 hours before it needed blotting, and the coverage was great. It covered all my redness and didn't make my dry skin look overly dry.

**EDIT**
I can confidently say that after almost a week of not using this foundation, that it was breaking my skin out. I had all of these horrible bumps (clogged pores I'm guessing?), which are now pretty much gone.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2013 5:26:00 PM More reviews by lucyschenk

This is the only foundation I can use that matches and blends into my skin nicely while covering any red spots. I have combination skin and this product lasts me all day at work while even though i have oily skin I just bloat with tissue paper every once in awhile and I'm good to go. It's not perfect as it doesn't heal blemishes, but it doesn't create them.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

I really wanted to love this foundation after seeing all the positive review on MUA but it just doesn't seem to work for me. I am a huge foundation junkie so I am always looking for the next best product. I haven't tried any Almay products before but I know that they're supposed to be good for sensitive skin which I have and I also have acne so what better foundation to apply than the Clear Complexion foundation. I purchased this for around $14 at Shoppers Drug Mart (it was on sale) in the shade 100 Ivory. I was a little confused since there were 2 bottles left of the shade 100 Ivory and one of them was very pinky toned and the other was neutral toned so I'm not really sure whats up with that but I picked up the neutral toned one. I like that this foundation comes in a glass bottle with a pump that is really nice- a little strange to rave about a pump but you really needed to apply pressure to it to make the product come out which I liked to product didn't end up flying everywhere. I tried applying this a few ways- with primer, without primer, with a beauty blender and with my fingers. Overall I did like how it applied best with my fingers and without a primer- it was a little too think to use with the beauty blender which brings me to my next point. A lot of people have said in their reviews that this foundation is so lightweight which I did not find to be the case like at all. It was thick and I could definitely feel it on my skin. As well, it dried very quickly so you're not really given much time to blend. This foundation has a very powdery matte finish which I hate. I have dry skin and this definitely made me look dead. I can get away with matte foundations the better percent of the time but this was too matte which I'm sure though I could not enjoy it, people with oily skin will love. This didn't cling to my dry patches which was nice but oddly enough, it seemed to make a lot of the imperfections on my face look somehow worse. I definitely will be returning this to Shoppers Drug Mart for a refund. When I took the foundation off at the end of the day, my skin looked just as healed as it does with any other foundation so I can't say that small amount of salicylic acid was very helpful. This was definitely a big old miss for me, it had about every trait in it that I avoid in a foundation. Maybe this would work better for people with combo to oily skin but not for us dry ladies.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2013 11:27:00 PM More reviews by Nebransas

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love this product! I've been using this as a foundation for a long time, and it is by far my favorite. The colour is very natural, matches my pale skin tone perfectly, and leaves me with a nice dewy finish. It does a good job of concealing mild-moderate redness and acne, but doesn't quite cover-up larger pimples. Blends very easily; I simply apply with fingers, and it sets nicely without feeling heavy at all. I have really oily and acne-prone skin, and, while not breaking me out, the salycilic acid does not seem to improve my acne. Great quality for price, and overall a very nice product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2013 1:58:00 PM More reviews by kimhachey

I bought this after noticing that my previous foundation was making me breakout. I was hesitant to try this, but now i am glad! In very little time it managed to dry up most of the breakouts I had, and I havent experienced any new breakouts since using it. Overall i am very satisfied with this product!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/13/2013 7:01:00 PM More reviews by escope01

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I bouht this because it was supposed to be good for acne prone skin. My skin is acne prone and oily so I thought, Why not! The color matched my skin nicely and looked good when i first put it on. About three hours later, I checked it and it looked rough. It looked cakey in several places and very oily along my T zone. It looked worse as the day went on. It doesnt help with acne either. It breaks me out when i wear it so personally I don't suggest it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2013 6:01:00 PM More reviews by kikidoll27

I remember reading somewhere that Almay has the best makeup for acne prone skin. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but as of now this foundation is the only one ever that hasn't broken me out. I don't know if it helps heal beakouts since I only get a few blemishes a month now that I've found a routine that works for me, but I have pretty bad hyperpigmentation I want to cover on a daily basis. I wanted a foundation that was medium coverage, provided a slightly dewey finish, was pale enough for me, and wouldn't break me out. Since this has 'BlemisHeal Technology' (meaning it contains 0.6 percent salacylic acid), I figured I'd give this a try. According to Almay, this foundation "helps clear blemishes while it conceals, so your complexion looks beautiful, shine-free and even all day. our formula with blemisheal technology™, contains salicylic acid plus meadowsweet, licorice extract and aloe to help your skin look its best every day. in fact, 91% of the women saw an overall improvement in the appearance of their skin". Sounds pretty great, right? Well, it's definitely not 'shine-free' since it gives my skin a slightly dewey finish, but it does control oil throughout the day. It costs 13.99, but I've seen it on sale for 11.99 at CVS before, so it's on the higher end of drugstore foundations. It comes in a cylandrical one ounce (or 30 ml) glass bottle with a pump (yay) that seems to dispense just the right amount of product. I usually use about one and a half pumps for my entire face. I apply this with a stippling brush from Real Techniques and stipple it all over my skin, concentrating on areas where I need heavier coverage, then apply CoverBlend by Exuviance's multi-function concealer in light and lightly dust E.L.F.'s Studio Hih Definition powder all over my face with the E.L.F. Studio Complexion Brush. All of those combined offer full coverage. I'd say that this alone offers medium coverage at best. It can be light if you apply it in a thinner layer though. The color 100 ivory is a pretty good match for my skin-- the best I've found so far. It's still slightly too dark, but not orangey and it doesn't oxidize on me. The consistincy is creamy- not thick -and blendable. It doesn't apply streaky/patchy nor does it cling to any dry spots, but mine are minimal. I does a nice job of blurring small blemishes and covering redness. It doesn't cover all my scars, but it covers a lot of them easily and doesn't fade throughout the day which I like because it means I don't have to do touchups. It also doesn't settle into fine liner or crease when I smile nor does it appear cakey or unnatrual looking unless I really pack it on. It also blends really nicely into the skin. Almay makes some pretty big claims by saying 91 percent of women saw an improvement in their skin. I honestly don't know yet, but I sure hope I see an improvement too. It comes in seven avalilable shades ranging from fair to the darker side of medium, but if you have dark skin I don't think they have any options that would work, which I've noticed with a lot of Almay products. They tend to have a lack of range when it comes to shades (both in the lighter and darker sides of things), so honestly if you do have darker skin I'd reccommend skipping this brand's foundations in general. But for medium toned skin, six out of the seven shades would be options. For fair skin, only shade 100 ivory would have a chance of fitting your skin, and for most of the lighter skinned people, it still may be a tad too dark. There is a slightly makeup-y scent to this, the same as in the Smart Shade Smart Balance foundation from Almay.
My overall thoughts: I really like this foundation. It's medium coverage, blendable, creamy and smooth and fits my fair skin pretty well. It doesn't break me out, controls oils, and stays on all day even without a primer/setting powder to keep it in place. I love the packaging since it comes with a pump, and I love that it has 0.6 percent salacylic acid in it to combat breakouts. The shade range needs work, but all in all I'm really happy with this foundation and prefer it over my Cover Girl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3in1 Foundation. I would reccommend you get this if you're acne prone, looking for medium coverage, and like more of a dewey finish. It is now my everyday foundation and I plan on repurchasing.
UPDATE 4/17/13: I also find that it doesn't get that gross feeling after I sweat in gym if I'm running a mile or something. You know how sometimes your face looks alright, but feels nasty? That would sometimes happen with Cover Girl 3in1, but thankfully this one feels and looks really nice. It doesn't streak from sweat either. While it's not sweat/water resistant, it is a bit hard to wash off...even with a makeup removing cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by candystripelegs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Really enjoying this foundation. My skin is oily but sensitive, and mild rosacea. Occasional dry/flaky spots. This comes in a pump bottle (at this point, I refuse to buy liquid foundations that don't). No added scent or SPF which is nice for sensitive skin. The salicylic acid in this isn't really enough to get rid of acne but at least it doesn't add to it, either.
I will compare this to Revlon Colorstay since most of us have used it before.

Applied with my fingers, used a bit of moisturizer first and applied this at 6am. Touched up with a bit of powder at 12pm and 330pm. It is now past 7pm as I type this review and I can still see the coverage and I don't look super oily! My skin looks even toned, the redness from my cheeks is still covered and my oily nose has not totally eaten this foundation. Plus, I wear glasses to work everyday and the majority of foundations just don't last long on the nose area at all.

I got the Ivory shade, which isn't really Ivory. This came out a pretty neutral color for me, neutralized my redness but not too pink or too yellow which is nice because I have a lot of surface redness but I definitely have warm undertones. MAC NCs are WAAAY too yellow for me and NW's too pink. I do use MAC N3 (N4 in summer) Studio Fix powder foundation pretty successfully. Colorstay in Buff and Sand Beige were pretty close to my coloring but too yellow. CS Ivory was too light.

The coverage is light/medium, the same as Colorstay. IMHO, CS is NOT a full coverage foundation. Both can be built up to full coverage for photos but seeing the same person in real life? yikes...the texture it can leave on the skin is not attractive. Almay's formula is a bit thicker than Revlon's, and you have to work quick to blend it but don't worry, it doesn't dry as fast as CS.

All in all, this is a "comfortable matte" foundation but I could see how it might make pores more visible. Definitely a good option for oily/combo girls depending on your skin texture. If you have dry spots/large pores or acne, you really need something to smooth out the skin before applying this.

Right now, I think this is the best matte foundation at the drugstore. The texture of Neutrogena's matte foundation is very grainy and while Colorstay does last a long time, the bottle is a pain to deal with, it smells like paint and dries too fast for me to feel like I can really blend it properly. While Almay doesn't claim this to be "long lasting", I think it holds up well and didn't experience much transferring when using my phone. For $10, this is good stuff!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2013 8:47:00 PM More reviews by Simpliciti3

I bought this because I saw that it was suppose to be good for acne prone skin, and as someone who has acne prone skin, well why not give it a try?

First off, shade match was really good. I got the shade in buff. I have yellow tones and this foundation is the only drugstore foundation I found that really matched my skin tone! I was pleasantly surprised.

As far a helping with my acne, I didn't really notice anything... I don't think it helped but it didn't irritate my skin any further. Generally speaking I find that Almay products don't irritate my skin.

This foundation does not last long on my oily skin. It gets oily maybe 3 hrs more or less on my skin. It also does not wear very well on the skin, it looks worse as the hours go by.

Coverage is okay. It has a medium coverage. For severe acne or red spots concealer is needed. It can get cakey if you apply on too much, and it starts to looks cakey throughout the day. It also emphasizes dryness and flakiness.

Overall I didn't really like this foundation. It does not stay well on oily skin and I don't think it really did much for my acne. I would not repurchase nor would I recommend this.