Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser

3.7

Water Purified, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Cetyl Ricinoleate(Chamomile (chamomilla recutita) extract), Isohexadecane, TEA Cocoyl Glutamate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG 20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Bisabolol(anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory), Chamomile Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate(vitamin E), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate(licorice root extract), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, BHT, Geranium, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben 5/29/09

on 8/11/2012 10:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This product unfortunately did not work well on my skin and caused large cysts around the jaw area. It left a greasy/oily residue on my face. Would not recommend this product to anyone with extremely sensitive skin. Neutrogena has let me down on this product, hoping for a cleanser with less irritants and fragrances in the future.

on 8/3/2012 11:36:00 PM

After using this for a few days, I found that my skin was horribly parched, rough and irritated. Because I bought this on the premise that it was "Extra Gentle", it took me a while to realise that this was what was causing this horrible reaction - my skin isn't even that sensitive. Needless to say that I will not be purchasing again!

on 7/16/2012 5:08:00 PM

This was my last ditch effort to find a DS cleanser that I could afford on a student budget. I am not overly impressed with it but it doesnt make my acne worse or better. I like the pump bottle and that I dont need a ton to have a clean face. It doesnt dry out my skin thank goodness. Will repurchase.

on 7/12/2012 11:17:00 PM

This is an extremely gentle cleanser great for sensitive dry skin. I in fact have acne, and it doesn't seem to both my acne at all--in fact I think my skin has gotten much better after using this (also have dry skin). I take my makeup before I use this cleanser, and I wash with a washcloth and gently rub my face with the towel and cleanser, if i didn't do that, i'd feel as if the cleanser was still on my face, like a residue or something since its such a creamy formula. All in all, its an extremely gentle cleanser for all skin types, but mostly for dry and/or sensitive skin. I recommend using a washcloth or something like a clarisonic if you have one to pair with this cleanser, so you get an all over clean feel. But a very good non-irritating cleanser that never makes my face feel dry or tight--actually makes it feel moisturized.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'm a big fan of Neutrogena products, particularly their sensitive and unscented range, as I have combination, sensitive, eczema prone skin and I have very few products to work for me, but many of the ones that do are from Neutrogena, including the extra gentle moisturizer which I have been using for many many years now.
Unfortunately this isn't one of the good ones for me.
On the plus side, it's extremely gentle. If you're looking for a product that will NOT irritate or dry but don't have many other requirements like makeup or oil removal, this may be ok.
However it didn't seem to actually do much at all.
After washing with this, I still felt oily and grimy around my nose and chin (my oily areas) and it really didn't do much to remove make up.
TO SUMMARIZE: an extremely soothing, gentle cleanser - which doesn't actually cleanse...

on 5/21/2012 8:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I have sensitive skin and this product works like a dream. It doesn't dry out my skin or leave it tight after using. I love the creamy texture and my skin feels very soft after using this product for a while.

I use this in conjunction with Johnson's facial wipes as I find the cleanser isn't enough to remove all my make up properly. But used together I'm left with clean and refreshed skin.

Also love the pump action bottle as it's easy to get just the right amount out.

Will continue buying this product - great value.

on 4/22/2012 3:15:00 PM

Update: I have given this to bf, he loves this stuff, but he has no skin issues. While this hasn't hurt my skin, it hasn't helped at all. I needed more exfoliation, so have moved on to lactic, glycolic and retinaldehyde products from Avene.

....................................... I have very reactive skin, some due to hormones, some due to a weird immune thing I have as part of endometriosis. I react to foods, cosmetic additives and my own body. Joy! Anyhow, was using Alba Pineapple Enzyme Cleanser for ages, but my skin is changing and this was stripping me dry. Then cane Avalon Organics Lavender/vitamin C cleansers and Spectro Gel. Not one agreed with me skin. I was left with a yucky rash of papules from chin to temples, going up my cheeks. So on a whim, as mineral oil as a cleanser had failed me too, I bought this. It seems to help. I use it once, rubbing it across my make up, then wipe gently with an unscented baby wipe (I rinse these with warm water first for minimal irritants). Then I wash again with this, splashing water to remove. After toning with Thayers Non alcohol toner, my face is clean and ready for moisturizer. Currently using Jamieson vitamin E gel cream with rosehip oil added. Or Cetaphil 30spf.
I think I'm slowly but surely getting under control now, though still not used to how my skin has decided to rebel against me in my 30s.

I used to suffer from acne but after taking accutane my skin completely cleared up but as a result had very dry skin. My skin is also super sensitve and I have been using this cleanser for along time now. Its super gentle on my skin whilst removing all impurities and leaves my skin feeling clean, moisturised, soft and supple. The easy pump bottle distributes just the right amount of product and I find it to be a great price for the quality of the product.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I was born with pimples on my cheeks, and rosacea. As I got older, I learned that I also had extremely dry and super sensitive skin, not normal for your average teen. I couldn't find many products to help my skin, because they were meant for teens with oily acne prone skin. Finding something to treat my rosacea? Forget it! Way too expensive! After intense research I found this online and bought it at the store. Can we say perfection? After only a few uses my skin is no longer red, itchy, or flaky, and the pimples are gone! My skin is even toned, and well, PERFECT!!! I will buy this again!

on 3/22/2012 2:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I thought this product might be a good replacement for my Aveda All Sensitive Cleanser, but unfortunately for my wallet (and my face) it was not. I used this product for about 3 weeks so I gave it a fair chance. It made me break out in tiny little bumps on my forehead and it just got worst with time. When I started to have to the same kinds of break outs elsewhere I finally stopped. Almost immediately after going back to my Aveda they stopped and started the healing process. No new breakouts have occurred since...at least ones I didn't think were already in progress.

It's unfortunate because I love how non irritating this stuff is in the eye area. I love my Aveda, but it can sting if you get too much in your eye. Also this cleanser seems better at mu removal. I currently used a separate oil makeup remover, but it's nice on lazy days to be able to skip it. This product also has a really nice pump and is very travel friendly as far as closing it back up. It's a shame it didn't work for me. If you have dry skin like me, but are perhaps less break out prone then I say give it a go, if not stay away.