August 22, 2014 | 2007 users online

Concealers - Laura Mercier - Secret Camouflage

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 4:08:00 AM More reviews by songbirdie

I have had this for a week now and I am beyond impressed in every way. Up until recently, I have used Time Balm concealer by The Balm, which I love. Sadly, the lable had worn off the bottom and I live in a country where I can only repurchase it online. After hours staring at Lisa Eldridge's perfect, creamy complexion, I decided that I too must have Secret Camouflage. This product is seriously amazing! When I first felt it, I have to admit that I wondered how on earth I could possibly blend it into my skin - it felt very dry and hard. This product is so highly pigmented and the staying power is so good, that a little goes a long way. I have really pale skin (NC 15 - 20 ), and I was good with the SC2. The fact that you also get two different colours is a huge bonus. I feel that the price, while high, is fair. My only warning would be to those who do NOT want 'camouflage' coverage...this is not for you!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2013 8:31:00 AM More reviews by GoldenLily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

C5/C6 NC44 BBWarm Honey/Golden LM Caramel for reference. I bought this in SC6m which is perfect. I have acne scarring and it covers the dark spots perfectly and doesn't budge. I apply with a tiny concealer brush, swipe the light shade twice on one side of the brush, the darker shade on the other side, then mix on the back of my hand, apply and pat into skin. Works great for blemishes on your face, would not recommend for under-eye area.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2013 5:45:00 PM More reviews by Livn2large

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

In recent months, I've been suffering from painful cystic acne on my chin and around my jawline. Although I've suspected that some of my acne breakouts have been exacerbated by some cosmetics, I was searching for a concealing product that would help disguise the cysts' awful color and size. After trying various sticks, liquids and powders, I finally settled on Secret Camouflage after a Laura Mercier consultant demonstrated to me its virtues. I was matched with SC-3, even though my complexion is on the lighter side of NW/NC20, because it's better at camouflaging any redness. Since the professional application of this concealer, I have applied my own with a flat concealer brush with wonderful results. I dip one side of my brush into one of SC's two shades, then dip the other side of the brush into the other shade. I mix the two shades on my hand, then apply the blended product onto my breakout-prone areas. I blend, pounch, and blend some more, sweeping it into areas that aren't broken out but still contain redness. The density of pigment in this formulation makes concealment seamless. Even though I have rosacea and scarring, it's possible for me to go foundation-less when I apply Secret Camouflage this way. This product does contain some comedogenic ingredients, so I can't recommend for the very acne-prone. As my acne is hormonally driven, I'm not concerned about its effects. I won't be without this product for as long as its manufactured.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/25/2012 7:35:00 PM More reviews by ExFactor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Honestly, I don't understand the whole hype around this product. I have oily / combination skin (oily on the T-Zone), and this product always looks patchy on me. When I put it on, it wears off after less than an hour, and it's drying, too. If I have a blemish, it actually makes it more apparent than concealed. This product is a definite "no-no" for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2012 3:31:00 PM More reviews by sweetheart519

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

By far THE BEST concealer I have ever found. Great for covering up acne and scars. The shades let you custom blend to the exact color you need. I will use this forever!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2012 11:15:00 AM More reviews by Jaimee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this in light. It is good on blemishes and broken capillaries, but lousy under the yes. It settles into fine lines and wrinkles and doesn't provide enough coverage. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2012 10:25:00 PM More reviews by pumpkinspiceforevar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I hated this when I first bought it. It was dry and didn't spread very well at all. After I broke through the top layer and figured out the best way to use it (fingers only, I hate using a brush with this product) I found it to be amazing, smooth, creamy, and has wonderful coverage. I mix my 2 colors together (my shade is S3) and it's a perfect match. This is full coverage concealer for sure. I wouldn't use this under my eyes, as I feel it's too thick and a bit too dry for that area, but a little bit of highlighting in the inner corners with the lighter shade couldn't hurt, I think. I'm actually hitting pan on one of the shades, but it has lasted me a good long while. I don't need much of it, especially since I mix 2 shades. I also love the compact packaging! I get weird bumps in this concealer though, just on the smaller side. No clue what that is, but it looks gross. I will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by Samigfb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I originally read the reviews on here about this concealer and was very skeptical, but after speaking with a Laura Mercier makeup artist and having her apply this concealer I was sold. It covers my redness and any acne spots beautifully and truly leaves me with a flawless complexion. A few things about this concealer:

1. It is NOT meant to be an under eye concealer. It is meant for the face only. If you speak with any Laura Mercier professional they will tell you it is not for under eyes. They have a different concealer for that area.

2. Many people complain that the texture is off. That is because you are supposed to blend the two colors. It is supposed to have a crayon-like consistency in the compact. While blending, you will warm up the concealer and it will go on smoother. Also, this thick consistency is what gets the concealer to stay on, cover fully and wear for a long time.

3. People complain that the blending of colors is too difficult or messy, etc. Get a concealer brush, swipe one side of the brush twice on the light color and the other side of your concealer brush twice on the dark color. then blend either on the underside of your wrist or use a corner of the mirror on the compact. The color will blend towards the tip of your concealer brush and then you can easily dot on troubled areas of your face. This seriously takes less than 30 seconds.

A final note: according to Laura Mercier, you should put on your concealer after your foundation to acheive a "flawless face". That way your concealer wont slide or run off while putting on foundation.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2012 8:40:00 AM More reviews by cherriesandpie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is AWESOME.

Cons - 1. OVERCOME. When I first got this I was highly annoyed, because it greased off and streaked off in like under an hour, really badly highlighting my pores rather than hiding them ugh! And I used too much of the pale side - which made me looked washed out. I was too afraid to add more pink/dark shade, but when I did it TOTALLY got rid of the mad redness in my spots! LOVE IT. I also remembered reading that TOO MUCH product can cause slippage into pores and off of the skin. So if you're having issues, with insanely bad pore highlighting and slipping - please try using less! I did - and now this is my HG concealer :)!

Second ish. Having to blend it! Also a pro because you can make it match your skin perectly, however makeup brands seem to FINALLY be getting it together and including a vast range of shades for the very pale to very dark (ABOUT TIME!) - without those ridiculous undertones. Thank you for making skin products that look like skin finally. So yeah, it'd be better if we didn't have to waste our time mixing it up. It is time consuming. it is messy, and a little dirty, I can't wash my hands before every application!

Also - this isn't good as an undereye concealer - because it is so thick and heavy (AMAZING for bad bad acne etc). My boyfriend was worrying rambling that I was getting under eye wrinkles and that I NEEDED to stop using what ever skincare thing I did under my eyes...but it was just this creasing up from smiling haha :D. Yeah, so it's a little thick :). But I think that that is what a concealer pen should be for - light in consistency, where this bad boy of a thick cream SHOULD be used for acne and scaring :).

But bitching aside ^_^, this is awesome. Because it is the ONLY concealer out of like 20 I have tried - since they discontinued the awesome but terribly pore clogging Estee L maximum cover cream foundation/concealer - that covers so that all redness is GONE (add the pinker/darker side - it really neutralizes the red right out!). It is also the ONLY stuff that stays on my skin solidly for hours - the ONLY stuff that does without containing any alcohol (which will irritate skin, dry out skin and break people out but also the main ingredient that prolongs mu wear) - AWESOME. It fully covers, it lasts a long time, it is smooth coverage - WHAT MORE COULD YA WANT :)?

- erh edit, this looks too thick and is not that long lasting, plus im hitting the pan...still great coverage though :)

Edit - if you want a good concealer which magically covers up rednness, and looks smooth and beautiful - check out the Ellis Faas!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by Lillynora

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

After reading the reviews on this product I wanted to add my own experience with this product. I am using this to cover broken vains and redness in my facial skin (cheeks) and blemishes/acne. Not for under eye concealing.

It is the best I have used so far for the colour match - blend as you wish...I apply with my finger (clean) and/or with brush to buff it out if needed.

I use this on top of my foundation and I set everything with translucent powder. And this concealer does the job and stays on all day.

It is expensive, but a little goes a long way and I am very happy with my SC1