MAC Lustre Capricious

4.2

on 4/24/2009 4:10:00 PM

Probably one of my favorite all-around lipsticks for 10+ years. Does get a little dry over the course of the day but not too bad for such a good color and texture for my fair NW 15 skin. I recently bought Flirt's Chickstick (also manfactured by Estee Lauder) - although it does not have MAC's nice subtle smell, it is identical in all other respects and much cheaper when on sale!

This is my favourite MAC lip colour so far - it's a really nice soft rosy plum colour, with no shimmer or frostiness. I also have Plumful, but I find it a tiny bit fuschia-y and much prefer Capricious. I agree with a lot of the reviewers below who mention the dryness. It's ok when you first apply it, but the moisture wears off quickly, and you have to reapply often. I will repurchase this however, because I love the colour so much, and will maybe try putting the new Looks Like Sin cremesheen lipglass over it for moisture...

Capricious is a beautiful pigmented pinky plum. It goes very nicely with my somewhat warm undertones (NC30, dark brown hair and eyes). I also like plums with brown undertones, but this is a more rosey plum.

It is a lustre, so it's not going to stay on as well as a satin/matte, but when it wears off, it leaves a really gorgeous stain.

I'd definitely buy this again, as it's one of my favourite plum lipsticks (I like it more than plumful for my colouring)!

p.s. I asked the moderators to remove the picture of the bright pink lips -- there's no way that was capricious! :)

on 12/15/2008 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

It's a great berry/plum/red sheer color with a touch of gold. Love the look over MAC Stripdown liner. Very polished day or night look for me. Con: Not much staying power and expensive but very pretty. . . .Me but better.

on 7/10/2008 10:18:00 AM

I agree with the rest of the reviews. The uploaded photo for this lipstick definitely looks a lot different from what I know capricious to be. It's a lot less pink and more berry/plum. Although I like this shade, I won't be repurchasing as the staying power is not good. I'll stick with my twig for a pink mauve shade.

The color is subtle and pretty. It looks like rosy plum on me, not like the photo above with so much pink in it. Again, typical MAC lipstick, no taste no smell, you don't remember you have something on your lips. I just love that.

Too bad, this formula Lustre is particularly dry. I am not very happy about that. I don't like to put on gloss to make this lipstick work better because I hate too many procedures. I prefer to just put on lipstick and go. So I will avoid Lustre formula at all cost regardless the color is great or not. If it shows lots cracks on your lips, you look unhealthy, doesn't matter what color you wear. If you have to put up with lip gloss every times you use Lustre, it's annoying.

I like Frost formula better because it never makes my lips look dry. Frost is the best formula, you can just put on lipstick and go, no fuss, no need for gloss or balm, and it hides all the cracks on your lips. Satin is ok, not as good as Frost.

on 4/2/2008 8:56:00 PM

Great colour!..i tend to use under various mac glosses..it works great with pinkarat. Will buy again if a run out.

on 2/1/2008 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A very good neutral and basic berry/plum/pink for my complexion (NW25, blue eyes, dark brown hair). Capricious is definitely not the most exciting colour out there, and yes, you could probably find this sort of colour in most makeup lines (although I had been looking but could never find THE perfect shade for me until Capricious came along), but it works with most of my makeup looks. And I just love MAC lipsticks.

on 1/31/2008 10:44:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Wow -- are we all talking about the same lippie? And is that hot pink jobbie up there in the photo *this* lippie? (hums Twilight Zone theme)

I will re-purchase this -- I *have* re-purchased this, twice, as for some reason (possibly because i tote it around everywhere and am horrifically irresponsible and flaky? Nooooo . . . ) I keep losing it. And every time I lose it I think; "You know, I'm not going to bother with that Capricious again. I'm going to buy something more interesting!" Then, inveitably, The Day comes. The Day when I'm chucking lipstick tubes all over my bathroom in search of that perfect sheer plummy-rose. The Day where I want an understated lip, but with a bit more oomph than my beloved Syrup can provide. The Day when I realize I must again slog out to the MAC counter and re-re-(now)-re-purchase Capricious. Typical lustre formula -- smooth, sheer -- though this one, for some reason, doesn't wear as well as my others. Just brings my medium pigmented lips onto another level of intensity without being overly anything -- in fact, i'd say this is a very diplomatic color and I can wear it with just about anything without concern that it clashes or overdoes a look. I like. Obviously. I keep buying it . . .

on 12/12/2007 11:35:00 AM

Generally the MAC line offers well-pigmented cosmetics, affordably priced. I can get from pink to rose to berry w/Capricious, depending on how much is applied. Not much staying power, but the stain it leaves behind after wearing off is a nice extra.

Popular Lipsticks