MAC Lustre Capricious

4.3

on 7/12/2009 2:17:00 PM

great everyday shade, would buy again

on 5/16/2009 4:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

MAC Capricious is ... okay. I was looking for a vibrant, yet subtle pink for spring/summer to capitalize on this year's romantic rose trend. I am a brown-skinned, African-American women, and it looks decent on me -- but could look better.

I remember vascillating between Capricious and Plumful. Perhaps I should've gotten Plumful?? May have been a bit brighter, yet flattering. Capricious will do, but I would not re-purchase. Also, it is drying -- but then, so many MAC lipsticks are. I'm pretty sure that also affects its appearance on my lips. I wish the LE All's Fair hadn't sold out -- I think I would have preferred that shade most.

on 4/24/2009 4:10:00 PM

Probably one of my favorite all-around lipsticks for 10+ years. Does get a little dry over the course of the day but not too bad for such a good color and texture for my fair NW 15 skin. I recently bought Flirt's Chickstick (also manfactured by Estee Lauder) - although it does not have MAC's nice subtle smell, it is identical in all other respects and much cheaper when on sale!

This is my favourite MAC lip colour so far - it's a really nice soft rosy plum colour, with no shimmer or frostiness. I also have Plumful, but I find it a tiny bit fuschia-y and much prefer Capricious. I agree with a lot of the reviewers below who mention the dryness. It's ok when you first apply it, but the moisture wears off quickly, and you have to reapply often. I will repurchase this however, because I love the colour so much, and will maybe try putting the new Looks Like Sin cremesheen lipglass over it for moisture...

Capricious is a beautiful pigmented pinky plum. It goes very nicely with my somewhat warm undertones (NC30, dark brown hair and eyes). I also like plums with brown undertones, but this is a more rosey plum.

It is a lustre, so it's not going to stay on as well as a satin/matte, but when it wears off, it leaves a really gorgeous stain.

I'd definitely buy this again, as it's one of my favourite plum lipsticks (I like it more than plumful for my colouring)!

p.s. I asked the moderators to remove the picture of the bright pink lips -- there's no way that was capricious! :)

on 12/15/2008 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

It's a great berry/plum/red sheer color with a touch of gold. Love the look over MAC Stripdown liner. Very polished day or night look for me. Con: Not much staying power and expensive but very pretty. . . .Me but better.

on 7/10/2008 10:18:00 AM

I agree with the rest of the reviews. The uploaded photo for this lipstick definitely looks a lot different from what I know capricious to be. It's a lot less pink and more berry/plum. Although I like this shade, I won't be repurchasing as the staying power is not good. I'll stick with my twig for a pink mauve shade.

The color is subtle and pretty. It looks like rosy plum on me, not like the photo above with so much pink in it. Again, typical MAC lipstick, no taste no smell, you don't remember you have something on your lips. I just love that.

Too bad, this formula Lustre is particularly dry. I am not very happy about that. I don't like to put on gloss to make this lipstick work better because I hate too many procedures. I prefer to just put on lipstick and go. So I will avoid Lustre formula at all cost regardless the color is great or not. If it shows lots cracks on your lips, you look unhealthy, doesn't matter what color you wear. If you have to put up with lip gloss every times you use Lustre, it's annoying.

I like Frost formula better because it never makes my lips look dry. Frost is the best formula, you can just put on lipstick and go, no fuss, no need for gloss or balm, and it hides all the cracks on your lips. Satin is ok, not as good as Frost.

on 4/2/2008 8:56:00 PM

Great colour!..i tend to use under various mac glosses..it works great with pinkarat. Will buy again if a run out.

on 2/1/2008 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A very good neutral and basic berry/plum/pink for my complexion (NW25, blue eyes, dark brown hair). Capricious is definitely not the most exciting colour out there, and yes, you could probably find this sort of colour in most makeup lines (although I had been looking but could never find THE perfect shade for me until Capricious came along), but it works with most of my makeup looks. And I just love MAC lipsticks.

Popular Lipsticks