AmLactin 12%

4.3

Water, Lactic Acid (Neutralized with Ammonium Hydroxide), Light Mineral Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Laureth 4, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Methyl, Propylparaben, Methylcellulose

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

First off, this is awesome for KP, which I have on my arms and legs. I use the lotion every day, and I dry brush every other day before I shower and the difference I've seen in two weeks time has been astounding. I never realized I could have normal skin! I have a few bumps left, but the majority are healing and/or gone. I think with another two to three weeks use they will all be gone.

The cons: It's expensive. I used the $2 off coupon available on Amlactin's website, but still...that's a lot (for me) to pay for a lotion that I put on the majority of my body. Also, it smells like glue with a delightful top note of ammonia. The scent does go away after a while, but still, not the most glamorous thing in the universe.

The consistency is very thin, and I have had the best luck (both with application and effectiveness) waiting for my skin to dry after I shower and then applying it. It absorbs quickly, within 5 minutes. I don't personally need a lot, I cover everything witih a very thin layer and I apply it to the bumpy bits ONLY. I applied it to my entire body ONCE and my neck went dry, scaly, burning, peeling crazy gross. It hurt so much it actually woke me up in the middle of the night, and I spent a good 10 minutes sponging off my neck/chest with cool water. Be careful, this lotion is for real and can truly screw up those who, like me, have sensitive skin. My own experience has been that those areas affected by KP can take some 'tough love' in the manual and chemical exfoliation department, but I need to treat the rest of my skin with mild products.

The packaging is 'meh' with a side of 'whatever'. I got the big bottle with a pump and it's easy to use, 2 pumps for each leg and one for each arm and I'm done. I do also use this on my feet and hands and I've noticed I have a much easier time with gnarly ragged cuticles and I need to work with Mr. Pumice much less. The bottle itself is boring, generic pharmacy type packaging. I really don't care, if it works I could care less what it looks like on my bathroom counter.

One additional preachy toned note: This stuff can increase your skin's sun sensitivity. If you get sun, are outdoors a lot, etc. put a sunscreen on those areas that are exposed. Seriously. I realize it's a pain and an additional step and all that, but do you really want arm skin that looks like an old baseball glove in 10 years? Or worse, skin cancer?

on 5/1/2011 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I keep forgetting to write a review on this fabulous product! One day I ran out of my AH Souffle and figured I could go another week without using it since I have to order it online. Umm...wrongo! By day 2 my skin looked dull and i got a few zits that I needed to get rid of fast.

I researched AmLactin in the past and always kept it in my "products to try" list so that day I headed down to Walgreens and purchased the 8 oz lotion. (i've not tried the cream formula, i probably will never get around to it) After 5 days my skin was back to being clear and my glow was back! I know someone would be wary of using a BODY LOTION on their face but there are no known pore cloggers in the ingredients and my thought process was "if it works for keratosis pilaris, why couldn't it work for acne?" Well, it DOES!
This is my current night moisturizer and even spot treatment sometimes in the morning.
It makes me look super greasy after applying it even though I don't glob it on. Just a quarter+dime size amount is more than enough for my face. I avoid applying to my eyes because, ouch, it stings. Also since I use it practically every night it does eventually start to sting around your nose, so I avoid applying around there as well.

A small recent example of how well AmLactin works:
After using Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Liquid sunblock for 2.5 weeks, I found my whole jaw area and my forehead/temples CLOGGED to hell. I stopped using it a week ago and went to AmLactin to hopefully save me. It purged a few of the zits (some are still healing, but very quickly) and just completely got rid of some others. I'm still working on getting this outbreak clear but after this now I KNOW that this little $26 lotion is a gem. A fabulous drugstore hidden gem. It's not very cosmetically elegant, the packaging is so boring, but dammit it works and that's great enough for me.

oh, and of course an added bonus: it fades acne marks so much better than the souffle ever did ;)

I scored a good deal on this at CVS~it was on a clearance shelf for $2.25, and also the CVS generic brand was on clearance as well for about $2.00! My favorite lotion for KP was Vaseline Healthy Body Complexion, before it was discontinued and I've run out of my back ups! At least that had a scent that was tolerable. As for this....to be blunt it smells like stinky feet and ass! That is the only way to describe it, and I will only use it before bed, on my feet, arms, legs and hands. I do like the results, though. Really smooths out any rough places- it's not an overnight cure though, you have to use continuously for about 2 to 3 weeks- depending on your skin- to see results. I also tried the CVS generic formula of this and that smells even worse- like ammonia!
Other posters have noted to put another lotion on top- to mask the smell- you can do that- but you're really just wasting that lotion.

on 3/21/2011 1:45:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I purchased the 14.1 oz bottle (with a pump, yes!!) at Walgreen's, around 6 months ago. It is a little expensive - but it's worth it. If you really think about it though, it's a lotion with 12% AHA at 14.1 oz - I don't remember how much it was exactly, I think it was a little over $20. I know the 8 oz is $16.99. If you divide that by the amount you'd pay for an AHA cream (Let's say $5+ for a 1-2 oz jar) it's actually a pretty good value.. $1+ an oz. And actually, I just checked CVS' website and the reg price for their 8 oz bottle is $14.99. So you may want to shop around first. If you purchase this, make sure to USE THE COUPON on AmLactin's website. You'll save a couple of dollars (http://www.amlactin.com/coupon.html). *** The main reason I purchased this lotion is because of the Keratosis Pilaris (KP) I've had on my upper arms all of my life. I actually never knew I had KP, until someone pointed it out. If you're not familiar with what it is, it's tiny colorless bumps that look like goosebumps - the area can look a little rosy pink as well. They tend to appear less in the heat, and more in the cold. It's very common esp. if you have dry skin or eczema. Mine isn't bad, but I'd like to keep it under control. This really helps. Also, genetically I have coarse hair - and I tend to get ingrown on my legs from shaving - that appear as little bumps.. and I sometimes feel like I never get a smooth shave because of it. This helps exfoliate your skin and lets those little hairs pop out. This is effective on my knees and elbows as well. I actually, sometimes even use it on my face to help fade blemish scars. Love this stuff and I highly recommend it.

on 3/7/2011 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have the CVS generic of this product but I am sure it's basically the same. This is an excellent products. I mainly use it on my feet which are very dry this winter. It took about a week but my heels are looking much smoother. I put in on my feet in the morning and then put socks over it. It smells a little bit like sour milk but I am OK with it. The smell doesn't linger long.

on 3/7/2011 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Since I ran out of my Alpha Hydrox last month, and my local Walgreens don't seem to carry their version of AH anymore, I saw this on the shelf and picked up the 4.9 fl oz tube. It seems to be intended for body use but I checked out the ingredients, saw the pH of 4.5 (which is the same as AH) and the other ones like mineral oil and glycerin, which my dry and sensitive skin loves.
I've been using it for this entire month on my face (and my feet, I might add) and I LOVE it. It's more cost effective than AH and works just as well, if not better. My skin has fewer bumps and clogged pores, and no flakes at all. I don't manually exfoliate in addition to this because I have fairly sensitive skin and am prone to broken capillaries, so I have to rely on chemical exfoliation. This is 99.9% better than any face cream out there on the market...but shhhh....before everybody finds out and they raise the price.
Im attaching a recent picture of me, people say my skin looks pretty good...I'm 38.
UPDATE: This is the first product I've ever cut open the tube when I couldn't squeeze any more of it out to scrape it off the inside--it's that good. HG material for me.

on 2/19/2011 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Overall, this product is so effective, that it has changed my life. I read the previous reviews and decided to try this on my face. When I went to purchase this lotion, I was a little shocked by the price tag for a drugstore product, but purchased it anyway. I noticed an immediate difference from the first application. I have been using it a little over a week now. I apply this under my makeup in the morning and I no longer need to worry about my facial oil (I previously had to touch up all day long, despite using expensive oil control products and retin-A, etc). This is the only product that has worked for me in that regard. In that sense, it was life changing, because my facial oil was a constant worry for me. I now use it everywhere, and my hands have also never been so soft. It also works great as an eye cream. Also, it is the only product that has cleared my back acne. Has eliminated the need for multiple products and really streamlined my routine. If you have any of the problems that I had, please try this.

on 2/10/2011 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Okay, i originally bought this product for my mild KP, I've been applying it right after i get out of the shower, and it seems to be improving after only a week of use. The bumps on my legs have smoothed out a bit and the discoloration is fading more every time i use it. But the reason i LOVE this stuff is for my face. I had always had nice skin, small pores, and hardly any acne, but this winter my skin took a crap, turning rough, dull, and uneven, with large pores and a bit of acne. My face had never done this before and i could not figure out why for the life of me. I only recently realized that my skin became this way because the moisturizer i had been using for 3+ years and recently had to throw away contained AHA, so i decided to give this stuff a try. I put just a tiny bit on over the rough spots on my face, over a heavier moisturizer, and no joke, in 1 hour my skin already looked smoother and less dull. After 48 hours my skin looks about 75% better, my pores and have shrunk considerably, and all the rough skin has been smoothed out.
It's a little expensive for what you get, but it's so worth it if it keeps my skin looking healthy and beautiful. (:

I bought this for my body but after reading some of the reviews I decided to try it on my face. The first night, I used just the smallest amount. I had no burning/irritation at all. Each night I increased the amount I used until now a week later, I'm putting it on like any of my regular face creams. I use it only at night. When I wake up my skin is sooo incredibly soft. The tone is more even and I've noticed some of my sun spots lightening up! This has gotten rid of some of the chronically dry areas on my face and it hasn't clogged the pores on the more oily areas. In fact, my skin looks smooth and almost..glowing! Now, this product isn't for the face and it warns of irritation if you use it there..however, I have had nothing but excellent results. For $12 it is worth it, because even if you can't use it on your face, it will make your legs butter soft and those dry elbows will be history!
EDIT: The longer I use this..the better my skin looks. Seriously, this stuff is amazing!!

on 1/26/2011 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I think I have been using Amlactin for ten years. I use it from head to toe even. I first was told to use this after a bad bout of cracked, dry and bleeding heels. It healed it very quickly. So now I always smear it on my feet at night and put on socks and go to bed. I wake up with baby soft feet. In the winter I use this allover my body 3-5 times a week. I have very dry, itchy winter skin. I used to get KP on my arms, but I have not had another bout with KP in years because of my continuous use of this product. It's awesome to keep away ingrown hairs, great for dry hands and cuticles and I even have used it on dry patches on my face. Because I am prone to clogged pores on my face, I am careful with using it there BUT I have put this allover my face as a mask for about an hour and then washed it off. My skin looks much more hydrated afterward. MY son gets KP too and he uses it daily and loves it.