October 24, 2014 | 1528 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2012 9:04:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was very eager to try a sample of this product. The name alone is something to encourage the feeling that it really will do something "magical". At Sephora, I got a sample of this in the more yellow-toned shade, hoping it would work well to make my under-eye circles disappear. Sadly, I was really disappointed - the first time a Laura Mercier product has let me down. There's nothing either "secret" or "brightening" about this powder. I tried it as a concealer and it achieved nothing. I tried it over a more traditional concealer and it didn't do a thing to enhance the effectiveness of the concealer. I do use it now to "set" my under eye concealer and it works okay for that but then so does just about any other face powder. I think I will try this in the white shade (I'll get a sample again) but I would not repurchase this product. I've found Bare Escentuals Well Rested powder "concealer" to be far more effective when I use it to set my concealer - it actually adds a degree of "concealing" to that area.

7 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2012 4:53:00 AM More reviews by BrittKiel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I do like this product, but it's not what your thinking. I use this under my eyes after concealer and then I swipe it over my cheek bones to keep things even. I think, it definitely helps to keep my concealer in tack, and I have noticed less smearing and such. It does brighten under my eyes a little. But I don't look in the mirror and think, " Wow I look so refreshed and bright" however, I do notice a difference when I don't use it. I would buy it again, it's very light, and it does not at all appear cake like. I would recommend it, but it's not as amazing as some of the reviews I read before I purchased it myself made it out to me. But, everyones skin tone is different.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2012 9:27:00 PM More reviews by Amanda2012

I'm kind of on the fence about this powder. I *think* it makes my undereye area look brighter, but I'm definitely not as positive about the effect as some of the other reviewers. And, it's one more step in my now lengthy (thanks, MUA!) makeup routine. On the plus side, the texture is incredibly light, and it doesn't settle into fine lines.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/25/2012 3:14:00 AM More reviews by earthlili

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Oh! I just don't get it! Can't make it work for me. I bought it after having a make over by the consultant at Myers. I wanted the setting powder, but she chose this for me instead. I can't see the difference. Also make me get black heads if I try to wear it too many days in a row (which I did to see if it did make any difference). I won't dispose of it quite yet..... Maybe I will have some kind of break through with it.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/1/2011 8:33:00 PM More reviews by sholden

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. I love the effect it gives under my eyes and it sets my concealer really well. However, the powder is so fine that it sometimes creeps up my bottom eye lashes and gets into my eyes. This causes eye dryness and vision blurriness. I have to be overly careful when applying. The pot will probably last a really long time but I don't think I'll re-purchase.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2011 5:24:00 PM More reviews by xtinahb

I don't know how this works but it does. After concealing my mild dark circles, a light sweep of this under my eyes with the Laura Mercier mini-fan brush just brightens up the face. I use the #2 as I am a NC30/C4 light tan Asian gal. For the rest of my face (usually just T-zone) I dust with her Invisible Setting Powder or my MUFE HD Powder. But for under the eyes? I ONLY use this Brightening Powder. I am a believer; it really makes a difference and makes me look awake and vibrant!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/24/2011 9:49:00 PM More reviews by danidean

I felt it emphasized my fine lines and pores more so.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/23/2011 12:44:00 PM More reviews by ocgirl007

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I returned it got my money back....just bad

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2011 7:04:00 PM More reviews by isseymiyake

I bought this to complement the secret concealer by LM. This definitely helps set the concealer, brightening up the dull under eye area and keeps my eyeliner from smudging. But it is pricy for the amount you get... and the packaging is not travel friendly. As for the application, here is my trick. Turn the jar upside down once, tap the lid to let the powder fall back into the jar. Open the lid, there will be a thin layer of powder remain on the lid, that's what you need for an application. I usually just use my figure for fast application. Press the figure on the jar lid to get the powder, then wipe the figure a few times on the back of the hand to remove the extra amount. Gently press the powder onto the undereye area, starting from the location with fewer fine lines, in my case the outer corner of the eyes. This will prevent you caking too much powder into the fine lines.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2011 10:09:00 AM More reviews by spoog

hmmm -jurys out on this one. I have awful dark circles, the kind that need a proper concealer, not just a swipe of touche eclat. I used this with my usual dermablend concealer( wonderful btw) and with laura mercier. It does set the concealer but I wouldnt say it brightens. Ive done the one eye done , one eye not test and there is no difference. It doesnt cause too much settling into wrinkles but it does a bit.
Its an ok powder for setting eye concealoer nothing more